Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I've been so disinterested this week. I'm exhausted which I think is part of it. Only done one workout this week and prob won't be able to do anything till Tues. might just let my body rest and then go back to 3 workouts next week.
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Just finished workout 7A. I was really excited with my numbers! Love the lower reps.

Squat- 130 lbs (59 kg)
    Push up- Did 16 straight-leg on the floor. The last 8 I went down on my knees.
    Dumbbell Row (for Seated Row)- 35 lb (15.9 kg) dumbbells
    Step-up- 35 lb (15.9 kg) dumbbells on highest step I can use
    Prone Jackknife- I've been subbing the prone pike to make it tougher, but with the higher weights it's really tough to complete those with good form, so I'm going back to the prone jackknifes next workout!
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've been so disinterested this week. I'm exhausted which I think is part of it. Only done one workout this week and prob won't be able to do anything till Tues. might just let my body rest and then go back to 3 workouts next week.

Sounds like a good plan. I have given myself a break when I've been exhausted. Something about lifting heavy weights and feeling too tired to do it properly doesn't sound good to me. Hope you're back to feeling normal next week!!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    question for you laides about the seated row...i'm using a cable system with a short straight bar and i'm not feeling like i can get the range of motion i need to really squeeze my shoulder blades. what kind of bar are you ladies using? i was thinking of switching to something other than the straight bar...

I have a double handle grip that looks like a V. Or if they have a rope attachment, you could use that.
  • jamk1446
    Options

Sounds like a good plan. I have given myself a break when I've been exhausted. Something about lifting heavy weights and feeling too tired to do it properly doesn't sound good to me. Hope you're back to feeling normal next week!!

I second this, take a break and get some quality rest.
  • Christinah5150
    Christinah5150 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 1. I actually started last week but after the first workout I was sore for 4 days. Just the thought of going to the bathroom brought tears to my eyes. Those squats killed my legs. So i took time to recover and restarted it this week. I love it and can't wait to see how I progress.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    question for you laides about the seated row...i'm using a cable system with a short straight bar and i'm not feeling like i can get the range of motion i need to really squeeze my shoulder blades. what kind of bar are you ladies using? i was thinking of switching to something other than the straight bar...
    is it the type of cable thing where you swap out the bar with different attachments? i usually go for the one that's v shaped (like jamk). also to get the shoulder blade squeeze, i aim to pull the bar towards the spot right underneath my breasts

i also like the soreness. my hams and lats were sore from tuesday's workout so i guess that means i'm about where i need to be for the seated rows and the step up. i honestly dont know how far i'm going to be able to progress on the step ups. i'll be happy with adding 15 lbs by the end of this stage.

for the prone jackknife i'm going to try turning those into a pike.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone! Have a fabulous day :-)
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options

LOL...i misread the book and did pikes instead. Felt like a wuss cause I couldn't get near the required reps...then AFTER the last WO, I saw that I was doing the hardest variation! LOL@ me!
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Seated row - I use the V shaped handle too.

Someone mentioned finding the step-up's too easy. I use a step from a step class that can be raised or lowered. Yesterday I added another level, whew! Hard work. My thighs are still feeling it.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    thanks for the reccomendations on the seated row, i'm going to give the v shaped handle a shot and if that doesn't do the trick i'll try the rope!
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Last night was Stage 1, B-2 for me. I added weight from B-1 to all with adding reps to the swiss ball crunch. I had to substitute squats with dumbells instead of the lunges because the gym was so crowded, there was no where to lunge. I had to fight for my tiny bit of space to crunch.

I added 10 pounds to lat pulldowns for a total of 70 pounds. It was a real fight to get to the end of the reps. I thought I'd be sore as heck this morning, but my muscles don't even feel as if I worked out last night. What gives?

I'm hoping for some delayed pain so that I feel as if I am accomplishing something.

I did however, have the gym staff measure my body fat. I've lost another 1.5% in the last 19 days. That's a pretty nice NSV.
  • jamk1446
    Options
    Kelekat, after the first week of Stage 1, I had almost no real muscle soreness but I progressed in weights, I thought pretty rapidly. I enjoy *some* amount of soreness after as a reminder of the work I did but ultimately, making the strength gains is what's most important.

I started feeling it again though in Stage 2.

1.5% is a very nice NSV!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

LOL...i misread the book and did pikes instead. Felt like a wuss cause I couldn't get near the required reps...then AFTER the last WO, I saw that I was doing the hardest variation! LOL@ me!
    :laugh: in the book photos is the model doing a sorta pike? she's more in a V position than a neutral back position.

what's everyone's favorite and least favorite exercise in stage 1?

my favorite is the step up (actually it isnt but i'm trying to lie to myself that it is since I'll also be doing it in stage 2 so I better get used to it :laugh: )

least favorite is swiss ball crunch and that's mainly because i need to figure out how to make these harder. maybe i'll jump to using a 45 pound plate on my chest?
  • Christinah5150
    Christinah5150 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My favorite are the squats because I really feel it in my legs and bum the next day! My least favorite are lunges because my balance sucks and I have to fight not to fall over..lol!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options

:laugh: in the book photos is the model doing a sorta pike? she's more in a V position than a neutral back position.

what's everyone's favorite and least favorite exercise in stage 1?

my favorite is the step up (actually it isnt but i'm trying to lie to myself that it is since I'll also be doing it in stage 2 so I better get used to it :laugh: )

least favorite is swiss ball crunch and that's mainly because i need to figure out how to make these harder. maybe i'll jump to using a 45 pound plate on my chest?

With a pike, the legs stay straight, rather than tucking in toward the chest. B-R-U-T-A-L!

For crunches, have you tried using a lighter weight but holding it at your forehead or with your arms above your head? The farther the weight is from the pivot point (your abs) the more apparent force it takes to move it. Careful about neck strain doing it that way though. You still need to lead with your chin.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Just as a general question, what amount of weights did everyone start out with?

Squats 5kg (total)
    Seated row 10kg
    Step up 4kg
    Deadlift 10kg
    Shoulder Press 5kg
    Lat Pulldown 19kg
    Lunge 2kg
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I've just done 5A, and this time feel I've had a proper workout. It really helps doing 3 sets instead of 2. My new arm pic also shows clear muscle growth (to me, anyway, lol!) - difficult to believe it is developing so quickly. I remember a trainer once told me I am unusual for a woman in that I can build muscle easily, but I didn't pay much attention at the time. And I wouldn't have thought I had much testosterone left by my mid-50s!

It was interesting this evening because my squat rack (my partner, Steve) was struggling to get the barbell up to my shoulders. Not sure what will happen if/when I get stronger still; he'd better start working out himself, I suppose.

I weighed my bar and dumbells this evening, so here's what I managed as total weights (it isn't an olympic bar):

Squat 33.5 kg (73.7 lbs) x 3
    Push-ups 10 x 3 on the flat (Yessss!)
    Seated row 12 kg (26.4 lbs) each x 3
    Step-ups 12 kg each x 3
    Jackknife 12 kg each x 3

My favourite? I think it is the deadlift, as I feel like a proper lifter but for some reason it doesn't seem too difficult. Least favourite is the seated row 'cos i'm doing it with dumbbells.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Just as a general question, what amount of weights did everyone start out with?

I just got started this week -

Squats 65 lbs
    Seated row 50 lbs
    Step up 45 lbs
    Deadlift 65 lbs
    Shoulder Press 10 lbs (biggest dumbbells I have currently)
    Lat Pulldown 50 lbs
    Lunge 15 lbs (held both the 10 and 5 lbs bells together)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Today was my last A workout before the AMAP sets. it felt weird but good knowing I'd not really be doing this set again.
    I know my jackknifes still aren't quite right.