Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,959 Member
    Options
    I'm putting a BIG CONGRATULATIONS out there for my friend, lauriebgood...she squatted her BODY WEIGHT (155 lb?) TODAY!!

I'm going to presume that is a back-squat and she did 5 reps!!

And, yes, she began NROL4W the first week of January, I think. She has grown VERY strong in a VERY short period of time....

I am SO PROUD OF YOU, LAURIE!!
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm putting a BIG CONGRATULATIONS out there for my friend, lauriebgood...she squatted her BODY WEIGHT (155 lb?) TODAY!!

And, yes, she began NROL4W the first week of January, I think. She has grown VERY strong in a VERY short period of time....

So cool! WTG, Laurie!

I'm excited to say that I'm lifting more than ever, too, but, more importantly, I'm not *afraid* to lift heavier anymore! I used to be worried about bulking, then I was worried about looking silly, then I was worried I might not be able to pick up the heavier weights... but now I walk in to the gym and say, "Hey, that looks impossible! I think I'll try that one!" LOL! I think I'm becoming a gym rat! ;-D
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    you have got the right spirit, barefoot! Good for you!
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Started stage 3 today and really enjoyed it. Was so worried about my shoulder injury and really was thinking of giving it up. Then someone posted in stage 3 forum about missing out exercises that flare up their injury but doing the rest. I decided this was the way to go. I keep forgetting that these exercises don't isolate muscles and work them all, so even when I'm doing squats or deadlifts I'm still exercising shoulder muscles. So I'm just leaving out exercises that cause pain.

Gained about 3lbs over the past month, mainly due to poor diet. So back on track. Have reduced my calories from maintenance to 100 cals under. Its odd because I gain weight easily, but also lose it easily when I really concentrate on being good, anyone else find this. So although a 3lb weight gain, I have a 1lb gain in lean muscle mass so really only 2lb fat gain :wink: so not all bad.

Carry on girls you're all an inspiration to me. Have a good day.
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

That's AWESOME and INSPIRING!!!!!!!!!!! WTG Laurie!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!

Gill - I think that's brilliant! I'm so glad you are finding a way to carry on while honouring your body!! Two thumbs UP!!!
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Love to read about everyone's progress! Would love to do a bodyweight squat some day! I think it is smart to modify or leave out some moves if they are causing bad pain. Plenty of good pain going on over here. So inspirational to read everyone's posts and really helps me push myself in a good way. Keep it up all.
  • gillleeman
    Options
    I

Gill - I think that's brilliant! I'm so glad you are finding a way to carry on while honouring your body!! Two thumbs UP!!!
    Thank you hun x
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Everybody is doing REALLY great! And, for sure, gillee - NO PAIN. When working out, it's okay to feel your muscles "work" - but PAIN is NOT the same thing and I'm glad you're smart enough to know the difference and to BACK OFF when there is pain.

Today my company is releasing it's Q4 2011 results.....so, I"m chained to my desk. No work-out for me. And, I am eating small portions, throughout the day (of good food) because I might be here very late tonight!
  • Koketa0510
    Options
    Hi!
    Well I just received my book. I'm reading reading reading.. hoping to start this monday. I'm a bit nervous. I'm so used to cardio ( jogging, elliptical, treadmill, walking) and circut training (Jillians Michaels dvds). But I have been kinda stuck AND my knees can't take it anymore... 2 weeks ago I caught the stomach flu and it totally wiped me out. I lost 5 pounds in about 4 days but gained everything back plus 3 more pounds. I havent worked out since. I"m so used to seeing the number on the scale drop but I'm aware that it tends to not happen while lifting. So I will be taking my measurements soon. How often should I measure myself??
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Well I'm back in the real world, but landed at 2am, so not planning on doing much today except about 5 loads of laundry!! I'm back at work tomorrow, so should really get a workout in today, but skiing has given me a weird ankle problem. My knee arthritis has calmed down now, but my left ankle feels like it needs to pop on the left side, but it won't. it's been like this for about 5 days now. Not really painful, but uncomfortable.

I think i might take today off and try tomorrow evening after work. I've had plenty of exercise this past week, but am really missing the lifting! Back to logging food though.

Back to the laundry.....
  • gillleeman
    Options
    Hi!
    Well I just received my book. I'm reading reading reading.. hoping to start this monday. I'm a bit nervous. I'm so used to cardio ( jogging, elliptical, treadmill, walking) and circut training (Jillians Michaels dvds). But I have been kinda stuck AND my knees can't take it anymore... 2 weeks ago I caught the stomach flu and it totally wiped me out. I lost 5 pounds in about 4 days but gained everything back plus 3 more pounds. I havent worked out since. I"m so used to seeing the number on the scale drop but I'm aware that it tends to not happen while lifting. So I will be taking my measurements soon. How often should I measure myself??

Hi there, yes it takes some adjusting of the mind with weight lifting. I've been taking photos before a stage and again after finishing a stage (usually in the weeks rest period because muscle retains water for a few days after training and will show in the measurements). Not seen much chang yet to be honest because I've been bingeing too frequently of late.
  • gillleeman
    Options
    Well I'm back in the real world, but landed at 2am, so not planning on doing much today except about 5 loads of laundry!! I'm back at work tomorrow, so should really get a workout in today, but skiing has given me a weird ankle problem. My knee arthritis has calmed down now, but my left ankle feels like it needs to pop on the left side, but it won't. it's been like this for about 5 days now. Not really painful, but uncomfortable.

Sounds like a very slight strain of the ligaments, nothing to worry too much about. Ensure you stretch out the calves, especially the soleus which is the one we all forget about but causes most the problems when tight (google should have some stretches). Also try writing the alphabet with your ankle whilst in a nice warm bath to keep the ankle mobile. If it does start to hurt though do ICE.
  • gillleeman
    Options
    Sorry SPRAIN!!! Not on full form tonight, got the shakes and shivers :frown: :frown:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I *do* find that I have to pay very strong attention to my nutrition plan in order to have even STARTED seeing some measurable results from this program. Mind you, I am increasing my weights (from the beginning), so, obviously, there are other metrics which suggest this program is *working*.

I think I could see MUCH faster results if I completely quit ANY tasty food, lol....but, I'm prepared to allow indulgences here and there - which means I also have to be prepared that my progress is going to take longer that way.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a very slight strain of the ligaments, nothing to worry too much about. Ensure you stretch out the calves, especially the soleus which is the one we all forget about but causes most the problems when tight (google should have some stretches). Also try writing the alphabet with your ankle whilst in a nice warm bath to keep the ankle mobile. If it does start to hurt though do ICE.

Thanks Gillee! I looked up soleus and found some info on the livestrong website with stretches. I'm sat at work all day so will put the heater on under the desk and write some alphabets with my foot!

Hope you feel better soon :flowerforyou:
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Morning All!

I've been posting on the Stage 2 thread, but thought I'd pop over here and see what was going on. :)

@Koketa - if you are OCD like me, you can create a spreadsheet and track your measurements twice a day. Just kidding!! DON'T do that. When I was working with a trainer, we did measurements every 2 weeks, and that seemed to be a good timeline to see some progress. Definitely take some pictures, too!

@Hoosiermomma - I'm up to 80lbs on my squat.

I would LOVE to be able to squat my body weight! I'm stuck with dumbbells though, so not sure how that will go (they only go up to 50lbs).

I'm supposed to be doing my last stage 2 workout today. My legs are really sore though, so I'm thinking about taking a day off.

How many days a week do you guys work out? Are you JUST doing NROL? Any cardio on days between?

Right now, I'm shooting for 5 days a week. I shuffle my weeks back and forth between 2 runs/3 NROL days, and 3 runs/2 NROL. Sometimes it's 6 days a week because I struggle with feeling guilty for taking a day off. Plus I like to eat. :tongue:
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My updates. True confession time: I skipped the last workout B in Stage 5 today and headed to Stage 7. I know there is benefit to Stage 6 and I might come back around to it but I just decided to forge ahead and boy am I glad I did. Stage 7 workout 1 is like a greatest hits album. All these old favorites all in one place. But boy needing to do 4 sets of 15 really kicked my butt. I had to take a step back on deadlifts by a lot to complete these with good form. Could have gone heavier on back squat. And in the really thrilling category we have the completion of 60, count'em 60 (4X15) on the floor conventional pushups. Woohoo! So looks like this was a good week to increase my calories because I am starving after this!
  • Koketa0510
    Options
    Morning All!

I've been posting on the Stage 2 thread, but thought I'd pop over here and see what was going on. :)

@Koketa - if you are OCD like me, you can create a spreadsheet and track your measurements twice a day. Just kidding!! DON'T do that. When I was working with a trainer, we did measurements every 2 weeks, and that seemed to be a good timeline to see some progress. Definitely take some pictures, too!

I would do something like that. hahaha...
    I have a new question but not sure where to post it..
    Do I make my own workouts or are they already there for me? I read the book already and I'm somewhat sleep deprived because of school but it's getting better. I think maybe I skipped that part or I don't know... Please Help..I would love to start Monday :)
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Do I make my own workouts or are they already there for me? I read the book already and I'm somewhat sleep deprived because of school but it's getting better. I think maybe I skipped that part or I don't know... Please Help..I would love to start Monday :)

Hehe..I fully understand sleep-dep. I'm on the end of a nightshift rotation right now...just glad if I've remembered to put on all my clothes before I head out the door!

The workouts are laid out on pp 140 through 156. I did notice on a NROLW thread (somewhere??) that someone has laid them all out on excel spreadsheets and made them public. (I did my own, but have no idea how to make them public!)

Maybe someone checking in can remember where to find them and point you toward them?
  • oceanity
    oceanity Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Hehe..I fully understand sleep-dep. I'm on the end of a nightshift rotation right now...just glad if I've remembered to put on all my clothes before I head out the door!

The workouts are laid out on pp 140 through 156. I did notice on a NROLW thread (somewhere??) that someone has laid them all out on excel spreadsheets and made them public. (I did my own, but have no idea how to make them public!)

Maybe someone checking in can remember where to find them and point you toward them?

I believe they are stickied in our group pages...so hopefully in the first 2 pages of the NROLFW group....but I like the ones I made for myself. I love how simply they lay out the workouts!!