ONCE you have your TDEE and BMR...next step

Options
ANewLucia
ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
I have received this question quite a few times so hopefully this will help (ofcourse please plug in your own numbers).

Let's say your TDEE is 2300 then you subtract 15% so that you now have your cut value of 1955.

Let's say your BMR is 1500.

Ok, so now you know the numbers, I suggest you then go into MFP Goal custom settings and change daily calorie goal to 1955, carbs 40, prot 30, fat 30, and fiber 30.

So, this takes into account your exercise so you shouldn't have to eat back any extra calories UNLESS (as in this example 1955-1500= 455) you burn over 455 calories. If you burn lets say 655 calories then you would need 200 extra calories on top of the 1955 to NET BMR.

If you make that change to your MFP goals then you can input your exercise and on your homepage of MFP it will show you where you stand with your NET calories...as long as it is higher than your BMR on that workout day you are good to go...if not, then eat calories until you at least NET your BMR.

Here is a video that you should watch that may answer questions you may still have right now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKQF3_8LVI8&feature=g-upl

If you have decided to do a full Metabolism Reset, then you would eat your TDEE value daily. You would still be sure not to NET below your BMR on any workout day.

Replies

• paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have a question about your BMR number.....I have tried several different calculators for my BMI. I have gotten anywhere from 1350 to 1616. I know there are different formulas but how on earth do you decide which one to go with? The 1350 number was from the new rules of lifting for women book.

That's a pretty huge variance in calories!!!
  • Leah_W_2022
    Leah_W_2022 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am sooooooo confused by all the different numbers. I am not sure how many cals i need to be eating, HELP!!!
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    A friend introduced me to this website: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ go

Then she said to add 20% to that to get your TDEE.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Yes there are different calculators. I would say go with NROLWFW...or take an avg. All of it is really an estimate. There are many TDEE calculators out there too. I posted one for BMR and TDEE in the TDEE topic.

Once you get those numbers, just follow the steps above...
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I am sooooooo confused by all the different numbers. I am not sure how many cals i need to be eating, HELP!!!

Start by using the links and getting your BMR and TDEE numbers, then you just remove my info at the top of this topic and plug in yours...
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    My problem is trying to figure out how much to eat. It seems like no matter what I do I lose and gain the same few pounds, but gradually gaining. I lost 120 pounds and have kept it off for 10 years through low cal dieting (avg 1600-1800 cals per day and not eating back exercise calories (i usually run 20-25 miles per week) so I am trying the 'reset the metabolism" but I seem to just keep trending up. I have a Bodymedia fit device and this is data for the past 3 weeks:

3/6-3/13 average burn 2339, ate 2130, deficit 209, lost .2
    3/14-3/21burn 2489, ate 2269, deficit 220, gained 2.6 pounds:noway: :noway: :noway:
    3/21-3/27 burn 2235, ate 2115, deficit 117, lost .6:huh:

In January and febuary I probably netted 1800-2000 cals and my weight fluctuated 1-2 lbs

I am just dumbfounded because I have been eating quite a bit (at least 1800 for at least 6 mos now, so isnt that resetting my metabolism?? How do you know what maintenance is, if you gain and lose at so many different intakes?? I was maintaing 162 pounds eating 1900 cals last year, this year I gain eating 1800 weight 169 pounds????

Thoughts? suggestions??? HELP!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    My problem is trying to figure out how much to eat. It seems like no matter what I do I lose and gain the same few pounds, but gradually gaining. I lost 120 pounds and have kept it off for 10 years through low cal dieting (avg 1600-1800 cals per day and not eating back exercise calories (i usually run 20-25 miles per week) so I am trying the 'reset the metabolism" but I seem to just keep trending up. I have a Bodymedia fit device and this is data for the past 3 weeks:

3/14-3/21burn 2489, ate 2269, deficit 220, gained 2.6 pounds:noway: :noway: :noway:

In January and febuary I probably netted 1800-2000 cals and my weight fluctuated 1-2 lbs

I am just dumbfounded because I have been eating quite a bit (at least 1800 for at least 6 mos now, so isnt that resetting my metabolism?? How do you know what maintenance is, if you gain and lose at so many different intakes?? I was maintaing 162 pounds eating 1900 cals last year, this year I gain eating 1800 weight 169 pounds????

Metabolism raises or lowers to meet your eating levels. So, essentially, those were all "maintenance," seeing as your body adjusted to a certain amount of cals, and plateaued. We hit plateaus at high or low levels, so when we under-eat, our body responds by lowering metabolism to meet it, giving us a lower "maintenance." once the body adjusts to that level, anything that we eat above it will be considered surplus. Until we continue to eat that amount consistently, then the body adjusts to the new level and *it* becomes our maintenance. So, when a person undergoes a metabolism reset, it's usually recommended that they get the cals as high as possible, and allow the body to plateau at the higher amount. Weight gain is an expected casualty during this process. Once the body stabilizes at the new level, cals can be lowered, and loss will re-occur at higher levels than before. Then the person is recommended to take diet breaks (a week of maintenance eating) every 12 weeks or so throughout the duration of their weight loss journey in order to prevent it from re-occurring.

So the weight will fluctuate, but you have to ride it out until it stabilizes, or at least a month or two, so that when you lower cals again, you will begin losing.

Also, if you've always fluctuated 2 lbs or so, then that is just your natural trend. Maintenance still involves fluctuation. You never actually stand completely still.

Here are some links that you may want to check out:
    http://www.leighpeele.com/lose-8-gain-8-the-diet-stand-still
    http://www.leighpeele.com/diet-break-plan

Also, the author of the the above blog, Leigh Peele, has a book called the Metabolism Repair Manual. You may want to look into it, as she goes in to much more detail than I have here.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options

Metabolism raises or lowers to meet your eating levels. So, essentially, those were all "maintenance," seeing as your body adjusted to a certain amount of cals, and plateaued. We hit plateaus at high or low levels, so when we under-eat, our body responds by lowering metabolism to meet it, giving us a lower "maintenance." once the body adjusts to that level, anything that we eat above it will be considered surplus. Until we continue to eat that amount consistently, then the body adjusts to the new level and *it* becomes our maintenance. So, when a person undergoes a metabolism reset, it's usually recommended that they get the cals as high as possible, and allow the body to plateau at the higher amount. Weight gain is an expected casualty during this process. Once the body stabilizes at the new level, cals can be lowered, and loss will re-occur at higher levels than before. Then the person is recommended to take diet breaks (a week of maintenance eating) every 12 weeks or so throughout the duration of their weight loss journey in order to prevent it from re-occurring.

So the weight will fluctuate, but you have to ride it out until it stabilizes, or at least a month or two, so that when you lower cals again, you will begin losing.

Also, if you've always fluctuated 2 lbs or so, then that is just your natural trend. Maintenance still involves fluctuation. You never actually stand completely still.

Also, the author of the the above blog, Leigh Peele, has a book called the Metabolism Repair Manual. You may want to look into it, as she goes in to much more detail than I have here.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This so makes sense now!!!!! Yes! Knowing this I can stick with it!!! Thanks so much!!
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    The Metabolism Repair Manual isn't out anymore...she's rewriting it. Checked the site. Boo. It should be out in a few months.
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Bump bc this is awesome!
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yes there are different calculators. I would say go with NROLWFW...or take an avg. All of it is really an estimate. There are many TDEE calculators out there too. I posted one for BMR and TDEE in the TDEE topic.

Once you get those numbers, just follow the steps above...

Thanks! That's what I did because I've heard people having SO much success with following that book!!
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    The Metabolism Repair Manual isn't out anymore...she's rewriting it. Checked the site. Boo. It should be out in a few months.

Thanks for letting me know. Bummer. I read the original years ago when I did one, and it was awesome. I'm sure the next one will be well worth the wait.

But the gist of it is pretty much what we discuss here: eat at maintenance, raise metabolism, stick it out til you stabilize, then resume deficit, vowing to your body to never starve it again, lol.

Obviously, she uses a few more words than that, lol. :blushing: But then again, I'm not being paid to write e-books on the topic, ROFL. :wink:

Kiki
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Great post thanks! sometimes I just need to read things several times to be able to digest it ; )
  • wordpainter09
    Options
    Hey, if anyone's interested, there's a group about this metabolism stuff here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4455-metabolism-repair-mode
  • 31prvrbs
    Options

I just saw that! What an awesome idea for those that are in it for the long haul. It helps to have others going through it as well. There was a thread on bodybuilding.com a while back where a group of ladies went through it together. Makes for a very interesting read if anyone wants to see how the process plays out, and the emotions felt along the way. I'd highly recommend anyone going through the process to bookmark the thread and take time reading it through. Much easier to equip yourselves for the journey ;)

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135324371&highlight=metabolism+repair
  • wordpainter09
    Options

I just saw that! What an awesome idea for those that are in it for the long haul. It helps to have others going through it as well. There was a thread on bodybuilding.com a while back where a group of ladies went through it together. Makes for a very interesting read if anyone wants to see how the process plays out, and the emotions felt along the way. I'd highly recommend anyone going through the process to bookmark the thread and take time reading it through. Much easier to equip yourselves for the journey ;)

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135324371&highlight=metabolism+repair

Thanks!! I'm going to check this out.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I like this thread lol. It just sort of simplifies it all and makes it a little easier to understand. Thank you Lucia
  • kneubee7
    kneubee7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have received this question quite a few times so hopefully this will help (ofcourse please plug in your own numbers).

Let's say your TDEE is 2300 then you subtract 15% so that you now have your cut value of 1955.

Ok, so now you know the numbers, I suggest you then go into MFP Goal custom settings and change daily calorie goal to 1955, carbs 40, prot 30, fat 30, and fiber 30.

So, this takes into account your exercise so you shouldn't have to eat back any extra calories UNLESS (as in this example 1955-1500= 455) you burn over 455 calories. If you burn lets say 655 calories then you would need 200 extra calories on top of the 1955 to NET BMR.

If you make that change to your MFP goals then you can input your exercise and on your homepage of MFP it will show you where you stand with your NET calories...as long as it is higher than your BMR on that workout day you are good to go...if not, then eat calories until you at least NET your BMR.

I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. With your calcs by BMR is 1,414, with moderate exercise (i work out 5-6 times a week. 3 days NROLFW & 3 Cardio) my TDEE is 2192 and TDEE-15% is 1,863. Should I eat 1,863 everyday unless I burn more than 449 during a workout then I would eat the extra I burned.. even on days I don't work out? If I wanted to just eat back my exercise calories vs looking at the NET figure on MFP would I use my daily goal as 1,414? I'm currently at 1400 and due to NROLFW am going to up it am just having a hard time deciding how far to up it.

Thank you for being so patient with everyone. It's definitely difficult to think eat more = lose weight :)
  • ANewLucia
    Options

I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. With your calcs by BMR is 1,414, with moderate exercise (i work out 5-6 times a week. 3 days NROLFW & 3 Cardio) my TDEE is 2192 and TDEE-15% is 1,863. Should I eat 1,863 everyday unless I burn more than 449 during a workout then I would eat the extra I burned.. even on days I don't work out? If I wanted to just eat back my exercise calories vs looking at the NET figure on MFP would I use my daily goal as 1,414? I'm currently at 1400 and due to NROLFW am going to up it am just having a hard time deciding how far to up it.

Thank you for being so patient with everyone. It's definitely difficult to think eat more = lose weight :)

You can do it either way, however, it is all a numbers game right and honestly I like having one consistent number in my head that I focus on eating daily. It all averages out in the long run. Your body gets a nice consistent amount of food so it starts to release that weight cause it knows that is going to consistently get fueled. Let's be honest, the moment we have gotten out of bed we have exceeded BMR. This is about revving up that metabolism.
  • kneubee7
    kneubee7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help! :)