Bun and Cheese.....yes, it's that time of year :-)

Options
ackeebee
ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
So yesterday i decided to visit one of my favourite shops here in London that sell Jamaican produce. Apart from some well needed yellow yam, grace corn beef, tin mackerel and vienna sausages, I decided to buy a spiced bun and piece of cheese since it is Easter. I saw quite a few of the major brands I am use to from Jamaica days like Maxfield and HTB but I decided to get one I have never heard of called "Yummy". It looked very moist. Anyone ever heard of this brand? Part of me is hoping it is horrible so I don't eat too much of it lol. Which brand bun are you guys having this Easter and do you recommend it (for my future purchase lol).

Also I got "Tropical Sun" cheese. I can't wait to try it.

Replies

• msenior
    msenior Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My National bun was alright, a bit dry tho. These easter buns are no different from the regular everyday bun.
    Unless it is straight from yard. Someone told me whitfield bun is the best, but I cant find it.
  • catlady100
    catlady100 Posts: 154
    Options
    I just saw another thread discussing bun on another board that I frequent (Jamaican of course). Apprarently HTB, Maxfield and Prestige bun are the standard...but of course depending on how long they been sitting in the shop, they can also be dry.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I saw tropical sun cheese but I paid £5.49 for Tastee cheese instead as I hadn't bought a bun there. Not had any of either went to my Dad's good Friday and he got some Bun from One Birmingham bakery and I think I have eaten half of it!
  • ackeebee
    Options
    i had piece of the "yummy" bun for lunch today and it was quite nice. it could be abit more moist but it wasn't too bad at all. i did see "prestige" bun as well yesterday but they were massive. the "yummy" one i bought was about half the size of the "prestige" one.

@tony, i did see tastee cheese as well but they were selling the whole tin while the tropical sun one was cut up and packaged so i went for that one instead since i didn't need a whole tin. not sure how much the tin of tastee cheese was but the piece of tropical sun one i bought was abt £2.
  • TonyStark30
    Options
    Yeah it was only cos I left my house and ran all the way to the shop why I had to get a can, but they had definitely repriced the stock, bad people.
  • naseberry
    naseberry Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    skipped the bun and cheese this year, much to my family's shock, lol. it helps that i prefer the buns that are denser and a bit dryer, and those are only found home-made. plus the price in stores, they are so expensive it made the decision to skip them easier.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    i bought the Golden cruust, my fam likes the HTB. I had the bun with coffee this morn......yum:bigsmile: Happy Easter
  • TonyStark30
    Options
    Having a Slice of HTB with 10 grams of Tastee cheese every morning, this may take a while!
  • ackeebee
    Options
    :laugh: @ tony

my bun and cheese almost finish. i have been having 2 sandwiches a day since saturday. i reckon i have about 2 sandwiches left in it. will definitely be done by today.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My brother came up from JA and brought one called Coronation-VERY moist and loaded with tons of fruit. It is quite nice. Got the tastee cheese a small size for abouto $10 us but that was done in 2 days (not me alone-lol). Anyway, been eating bun since Friday-OMG-think I'm gogn to try slicing some and freezing as I also got 2 home made ones as well... This people really don't like me very much..........must have gained 2 pounds just from teh bun alone.:smile:
  • TonyStark30
    Options
    I ate bun and cheese and Hard Dough bread and cheese and salad cream all friday and saturday, I will not eat more than a slice a day until the extra pounds are finally gone lol, then I can indulge as part of my calories!
  • chrisja
    chrisja Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    LOL...You guys are funny. I couldn't find our usual Golden Bakery bun this year so for the first time I had HTB and National buns....both tasted good and were moist enough and the did not taste as sweet as the Golden Bakery bun to me. I had 2 sandwiches each day from Good Friday except for the last day of it when I had more just to finish it off and get back on track....and I wasn't going to let good bun and cheese go to waste...lol..lol...lol. Maybe that mind set is what got me here in the first place but I dont regret eating that bun at all...lol

@ackeebee Yummy bakery is a well known company that makes popular baked goods. It has been around for a while and I am sure it falls in the top of Jamaican bakeries. I can see it right now where a branch was on Hagley Park Road in Kingston. Didn't hear that they moved so I am sure they are still there. Never had their easter bun but had other little baked goods that came from there.
  • ackeebee
    Options
    hi chrisja:smile:

the yummy bun was nice man. next year you should try it. when i first opened it, it tasted like it could have been abit more moist but the more i got into it, the more i realise it was perfect lol. it started tasting so much better towards the end that i was tempted to go and buy another one. yeaman, i do recommend it.

and yes, the box has hagley park address on it so i guess they are still there. next time i am in jamaica i will check them out.
  • TonyStark30
    Options
    I've lost all the Easter weight and a pound so i think my one Slice + cheese a day plan has kept me on track!
  • ackeebee
    Options
    tony, you lucky bugger. i gained 1.4 lb over the easter
  • TonyStark30
    Options
    I was was on an exercise bike for more than I had been my whole life previously though! I had gained 3.

Think I've got about 4 slices left, but probably 3/4 of a can of tastee cheese lol
  • chrisja
    chrisja Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I put on 5lbs over Easter (and more over Christmas). I am still trying to get back to the weight I was in late October. God help me!

Make nuff cheese omelets with that cheese Tony...lol
  • TonyStark30
    Options
    The omelettes were nice!
  • ackeebee
    Options
    lol
  • TonyStark30
    Options
    My recent achievements have been Home made Gingerbread and red skin peanuts, but now they have been eaten they cannot be eaten!