TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR

Options

Replies

• Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Lucia! Thank you far all the info! I just came across this group, added all my numbers into your formula and realized I should be eating more than I am! I am also nursing so I think that makes things even more difficult but wow! am I glad I came across this! I am hoping this helps me!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Lucia! Thank you far all the info! I just came across this group, added all my numbers into your formula and realized I should be eating more than I am! I am also nursing so I think that makes things even more difficult but wow! am I glad I came across this! I am hoping this helps me!

Nursing mommies especially tend to undercut themselves...and a full time nurser needs about 500 extra cals per day. I can't recall now, but it is 100 cals per some number of ounces...so, yes mam, you must eat:-) I didn't know and totally stopped nursing two babies too early...the other 3 I nursed too long...lol
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am so happy I joined this group yesterday! My mind is blown. I am excited to learn as much as I can and get started on a healthier journey.
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    This was just a wealth of knowledge!!! Thanks for this. My life should be much better!!!
  • nursemickey
    nursemickey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    There is no way I can eat 2263 cals or even 1923cals/day. I have a hard time eating 1700 that MFP says. I'm good if I can eat 1200. I can't eat a lot of peanuts or cashews and such as they make me swell.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    There is no way I can eat 2263 cals or even 1923cals/day. I have a hard time eating 1700 that MFP says. I'm good if I can eat 1200. I can't eat a lot of peanuts or cashews and such as they make me swell.

Avocados? Tater tots? Good oils such as olive or coconut oils? Cook with coconut milk from a can? Breakfast smoothie? (milk, ice, fruit, chocolate if you want)

I have a lot of dietary restrictions so I feel you- it's frustrating!
  • nursemickey
    Options

Avocados? Tater tots? Good oils such as olive or coconut oils? Cook with coconut milk from a can? Breakfast smoothie? (milk, ice, fruit, chocolate if you want)

I have a lot of dietary restrictions so I feel you- it's frustrating!

Avocados, ewwwwww!!! Tater tots- Im trying to watch carbs. I use olive oil to cook with. Smoothies, guess I could try them! LOL.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Avocados, ewwwwww!!! Tater tots- Im trying to watch carbs. I use olive oil to cook with. Smoothies, guess I could try them! LOL.

LOL. I like to add flavored oils to my smoothies, increases the good fats, good for hair skin and nails. Maybe try that, as fats are more cal dense than carbs/protein.

For smoothie add ins I use: coconut oil, flax seeds/oil, or flavored fish oil (they come in orange/lemon/strawberry/coconut). They add yummy flavor, and the fat gives smoothies a "milkshake" texture. :)

Kiki
  • erincampbell9
    erincampbell9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great information :)
  • infojules
    Options
    BUMP
  • vakaranshah786
    vakaranshah786 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ANewLucia
    Options

There is no such thing as can't:-) It is amazing the things that you can put together to hit your numbers....think about the things you like to eat and other things that have a bit more fat that you put to the side...you can take in 120 cals by consuming a whole tbls of coconut oil...it is excellent for you and MCT oil that has many benefits...Olive oil the same cals... One dose of either in the morning is 120 cals...

There are sooo many more calorie dense foods you can eat to get them in. Seems like many have started a great list here. There are some other great threads as well on it.
  • nursemickey
    Options

There is no such thing as can't:-) It is amazing the things that you can put together to hit your numbers....think about the things you like to eat and other things that have a bit more fat that you put to the side...you can take in 120 cals by consuming a whole tbls of coconut oil...it is excellent for you and MCT oil that has many benefits...Olive oil the same cals... One dose of either in the morning is 120 cals...

There are sooo many more calorie dense foods you can eat to get them in. Seems like many have started a great list here. There are some other great threads as well on it.

Yes you are correct there is no can't.......I tell that to my kids all the time!

Are you saying to down some oil?
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Yes you are correct there is no can't.......I tell that to my kids all the time!

Are you saying to down some oil?

In my beginning with eating more...it was HARD...I had to think of some new ways to provide good healthy calories...one of the things that I didn't get enough of was good FATS...so I sure did...I would in the morning take a tbls of coconut oil, then drink something or eat something right behind it. One a day eats up 120 cals...I don't do that anymore because I am used to eating, so I am back to finding ways to get volume because I tend to want to eat more than my cut...lol!
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My TDEE 1975. Subtract 15% (you get a cut of 1677)...

My BMR is 1443.

So 1677 is my calorie goal on days that I don't work out?

And on days that I do workout 1975 is my calorie goal?

Also, do I set my carbs to 40% protein to 30% and fat to 30%?

Thanks for creating this post.
  • Missypickles86
    Missypickles86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have to say, Holy crow!! MFP had me consuming 1440 calories per day and eating back my exercise points. When I caculated my TDEE it was 2440. That means I should be eating around 2100 or so calories not including my exercise calories! I am in shock!!! No wonder I have been hovering in the same range. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have to say, Holy crow!! MFP had me consuming 1440 calories per day and eating back my exercise points. When I caculated my TDEE it was 2440. That means I should be eating around 2100 or so calories not including my exercise calories! I am in shock!!! No wonder I have been hovering in the same range. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your TDEE has your exercise calories factored in, so just eat the 2100 and continue the workouts you entered when you calculated your TDEE. Even on rest days, I've been told, you need to eat your number of 2100, everyday!!!!