TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR

Options

Replies

• SoxxEBeotch
    SoxxEBeotch Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    All this math is making my brain hurt... I wish I was joking... :explode:

I went to fitnessfrog.com and got my BMR and TDEE's... BMR is 1695 and TDEE is 2331. There is NO WAY I can up my calorie intake to 1695 (from 1400). I have a hard enough time eating even 1300 cals per day, if I don't exercise. If I eat 1400 without exercise, I feel like I ate entirely too much. Even when I exercise, I still keep it real close to 1400, MAYBE 200 over. I have no clue what to do here. I'm so frustrated. I've been eating better since December (cut out fast food and soda's -I would eat fast food sometimes 3-4x per week, now it's maybe 3x per month, if that much-, and eat when I'm hungry and not just for the sake of eating, and drink about 50 oz of water per day). I also roller skate at least 2hrs per week, sometimes up to 4hrs. I have a fitbit which shows that I'm burning cals, walking, climbing stairs, 'exercising' without actually exercising. I also walk about 4 miles per week, sometimes more if I can. I know it's not a lot, but compared to before December, this is a HUGE change in my lifestyle. Since I've made all these changes, my weight hasn't gone anywhere. When I ate fast food and drank nothing but soda, ate candy bars, and didn't even consider exercising, I was at 160 lbs (I'm 207 right now). What gives? I can understand the fact that THEN I was eating more calories (which makes sense in the 'eat more, weigh less' idea) but it wasn't healthy food... Does this make ANY sense? Because it sure doesn't to me............................ ::head/wall::
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    So, I lost enough weight to refigure it all...

My BMR is now at 1685

So, I set my calorie goal to 2000. (My TDEE is still up in 2500+ somewhere)

I'm also doing a workout plan that I got from nerdfitness.com

Lots of weights, bodyweight exercises, kettlebells, and cool nerdy stuff...

Today, though, I feel bloated. I think it's "that time"... sigh.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    All this math is making my brain hurt... I wish I was joking... :explode:

I went to fitnessfrog.com and got my BMR and TDEE's... BMR is 1695 and TDEE is 2331. There is NO WAY I can up my calorie intake to 1695 (from 1400). I have a hard enough time eating even 1300 cals per day, if I don't exercise. If I eat 1400 without exercise, I feel like I ate entirely too much. Even when I exercise, I still keep it real close to 1400, MAYBE 200 over. I have no clue what to do here. I'm so frustrated. I've been eating better since December (cut out fast food and soda's -I would eat fast food sometimes 3-4x per week, now it's maybe 3x per month, if that much-, and eat when I'm hungry and not just for the sake of eating, and drink about 50 oz of water per day). I also roller skate at least 2hrs per week, sometimes up to 4hrs. I have a fitbit which shows that I'm burning cals, walking, climbing stairs, 'exercising' without actually exercising. I also walk about 4 miles per week, sometimes more if I can. I know it's not a lot, but compared to before December, this is a HUGE change in my lifestyle. Since I've made all these changes, my weight hasn't gone anywhere. When I ate fast food and drank nothing but soda, ate candy bars, and didn't even consider exercising, I was at 160 lbs (I'm 207 right now). What gives? I can understand the fact that THEN I was eating more calories (which makes sense in the 'eat more, weigh less' idea) but it wasn't healthy food... Does this make ANY sense? Because it sure doesn't to me............................ ::head/wall::

Hey lady, I have some news...you are not to eat 1695, you must eat your TDEE - 15%...so that is a bit over 2000...please use a calculator...

Yep, if you want to lose weight, get your body to trust you, you have to fuel it while maintaining a smaller deficit. I know it sounds crazy, I know you THINK you can't eat that much...but neither did I. Since nothing else worked, guess what???? I learned to eat and now enjoy it. When you eat, you can't fathom how you EVER survived on any less. Your body becomes a well fueled calorie burning machine.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    My TDEE 1975. Subtract 15% (you get a cut of 1677)...

My BMR is 1443.

So 1677 is my calorie goal on days that I don't work out?

And on days that I do workout 1975 is my calorie goal?

Also, do I set my carbs to 40% protein to 30% and fat to 30%?

Thanks for creating this post.

Recalculate your tdee using MODERATE...eat that minus 15% EVERY SINGLE DAY...on workout days, ONLY eat more IF you are under BMR...eat to NET at least BMR:-)
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I have to say, Holy crow!! MFP had me consuming 1440 calories per day and eating back my exercise points. When I caculated my TDEE it was 2440. That means I should be eating around 2100 or so calories not including my exercise calories! I am in shock!!! No wonder I have been hovering in the same range. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TDEE includes your exercise cals...so just subtract 15% and eat that every single day. If you burn high one day, then make sure to at least net BMR
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have done the calculations and this is the result:

BMR- 1666
    TDEE- 2206
    TDEE-15%-- 1867

I have been eating 1500 since Feb and have lost 10lbs. I am working out (cardio and circuit training?) 3-5 days a week.

I 'eat back' 3/4 of my exercise. Since starting to work out, I do feel better. But increasing my caloric intake scares me to death.
    I do have another 50lbs to lose.
    Do you suggest just jumping into eating the calories or slowly adding them into your diet?
    I use the macros 40/30/30
    And what do i enter into MFP or do i ignore what it says at the bottom of my food diary? Or do i manually increase my daily goal? Do I ignore the fact that I will be 'over' my cals?

Can you look over this and tell me what you think/ Thanks
  • tyabd
    tyabd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    thanx for posting this
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I have done the calculations and this is the result:

BMR- 1666
    TDEE- 2206
    TDEE-15%-- 1867

I have been eating 1500 since Feb and have lost 10lbs. I am working out (cardio and circuit training?) 3-5 days a week.

I 'eat back' 3/4 of my exercise. Since starting to work out, I do feel better. But increasing my caloric intake scares me to death.
    I do have another 50lbs to lose.
    Do you suggest just jumping into eating the calories or slowly adding them into your diet?
    I use the macros 40/30/30
    And what do i enter into MFP or do i ignore what it says at the bottom of my food diary? Or do i manually increase my daily goal? Do I ignore the fact that I will be 'over' my cals?

Can you look over this and tell me what you think/ Thanks

Eat your cut value everyday. Change mfp to reflect cut, add your exercise but ignore the total cals. Make sure to hit your prot and fat macros daily and when you workout check your homepage net cals to be sure you over at or over bmr.
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options

My BMR is 1442.

Recalculate your tdee using MODERATE...eat that minus 15% EVERY SINGLE DAY...on workout days, ONLY eat more IF you are under BMR...eat to NET at least BMR:-)

This is my new calculation using MODERATE:

TDEE 2235. Subtract 15% (you get a cut of 1899 to round it up 1900)...

So I need to eat 1900 every single day.

If I excercise eat 2235 on that day?

What do you mean by net? I see it on some of the other posts but not really sure how to comprehend it.

"on workout days, ONLY eat more IF you are under BMR...eat to NET at least BMR"

Thanks again because I've been trying to understand this thing for 2 months...

• angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just joined your group. I have recently been increasing my calories and have used the Fat2fit radio calculations so hope it's still ok to join in ;)

That has me eating at my goal weight allowance of between 1800 & 2000 calories a day depending if I want to trust myself with the activity levels. I've just this week increased to 1800 a day.

I've used the fitnessfrog calculators and my figures on there are

BMR 1357
    TDEE 2103 (moderate)
    so TDEE - 15% = 1787

So it look like the figures are more or less the same :))

I'm going to stick at 1800 for a week or two and see how it goes - only eating back exercise calories is I fall below 1357 net.

I have to tell you I'm in week 11 of MFPing and since the first 3 weeks at 1200 I feel so so so much better. Less crabby and I hope nice to live with! I feel better health wise, I'm losing weight slowly but surely, my skin is better (no breakouts in the last few weeks) and I'm not bloating and in pain in the week leading up to 'that' time of the month. So woop woop!
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read when I get more time. I got the Fat2Fit book and I'm in the process of reading it now.

Thanks for posting this.
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • allybeee
    allybeee Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I had to come on again this week and thank everyone for the support. I am still unable to train due to injury, although now i have been told i might need to see a podiatrist rather than just a physio. Last week i mentioned i had been eating 1900 cals approx a day and i was a little surprised when i lost .5lb without training at all.

Well this week I am sorta stunned, i felt that i had lost weight, just by my clothes, but when i checked my weight today i had lost 2lbs! i nearly fell off the scales, i checked on 2 sets just to be sure!

So thanks for the great advice of not changing the amount and sticking with it, it really worked! What surprised me the most is yes i have lost weight, but it's fat i have lost because my muscle mass has actually increased by .3% and the fat % has decreased.
    Not sure how, the closest i got to weights was to move em out the way whilst i cleaned!

SO i am going to allow myself a little treat today upto 300cals extra, i did that last sunday, those 10 minstrels and 2 glasses of wine really out the spot!

I am off to plan my cheat meal, Thanks :)
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hi,

I had to come on again this week and thank everyone for the support. I am still unable to train due to injury, although now i have been told i might need to see a podiatrist rather than just a physio. Last week i mentioned i had been eating 1900 cals approx a day and i was a little surprised when i lost .5lb without training at all.

Well this week I am sorta stunned, i felt that i had lost weight, just by my clothes, but when i checked my weight today i had lost 2lbs! i nearly fell off the scales, i checked on 2 sets just to be sure!

So thanks for the great advice of not changing the amount and sticking with it, it really worked! What surprised me the most is yes i have lost weight, but it's fat i have lost because my muscle mass has actually increased by .3% and the fat % has decreased.
    Not sure how, the closest i got to weights was to move em out the way whilst i cleaned!

SO i am going to allow myself a little treat today upto 300cals extra, i did that last sunday, those 10 minstrels and 2 glasses of wine really out the spot!

I am off to plan my cheat meal, Thanks :)

You gave me a good chuckle, glad you didn't fall off the scale we need you all healed up:-) That is just awesome.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

My BMR is 1442.

This is my new calculation using MODERATE:

TDEE 2235. Subtract 15% (you get a cut of 1899 to round it up 1900)...

So I need to eat 1900 every single day.

If I excercise eat 2235 on that day?

What do you mean by net? I see it on some of the other posts but not really sure how to comprehend it.

"on workout days, ONLY eat more IF you are under BMR...eat to NET at least BMR"

Thanks again because I've been trying to understand this thing for 2 months...

Ok eat 1900 everyday and only if you burn more than 450 do you eat the excess above 450. See when you burn 4500 you will be at a net calorie of your bmr, so a burn of 600 means your 150 below your bmr, so to get you back to net bmr you would need to eat the 150.
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, really interesting.
    So, if my cut figure is 1803, and BMR 1611, just eat 1803 each day and never net less than 1611? That easy?
  • wannagetfit02
    wannagetfit02 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    So, if my cut figure is 1803, and BMR 1611, just eat 1803 each day and never net less than 1611? That easy?

You got it!
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options

You got it!

Thanks so much, I'll give it a go! :smile:
  • paxier
    paxier Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi, could someone please check my workings out for me (thank you so much). Still trying to get my head around eating more.....

I'm 37years (female)

height 5 '2
    weight 160 pounds/72kg

I worked out:

BMR 1456
    TDEE 2002
    TDEE - 15% = 1700

Soooooooo I eat 1700 on non workout days, and on workout days around my BMR. Sorry I have read so many posts on this thread I've got myself confused.

Thank you so much for your help.