Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Completed A3 last night

I increased all the weights except for the step-ups... since I just figured out that I'm supposed to do the reps on each leg. I couldn't do it straight through. I had to take my 60 second rest in between leg changes (i.e., steps on left leg, rest, then right leg). Is that acceptable? I was holding 25lb dbs, btw. I planned on lowering the weight for the second set so I can go from one leg to the other, but the 20s are always gone.

Overall, great progress.

Stupid question? Do you do each leg for a set of step ups? Or is 1 leg one set? Make sense? Confused on this.
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Stupid question? Do you do each leg for a set of step ups? Or is 1 leg one set? Make sense? Confused on this.

I was doing only 1 leg per set, but someone mentioned that one set means a rep for each leg. So last night I did both legs for each set... resting in between leg changes.

I hope that helps. :smile:
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

I have suffered repetitive stress injuries in both hands/thumbs, so my grip is very weak. I know that I will fail with grip before I fail with weight. I found I had to switch to one of shorter bars at the gym (mine has 25# and 30#), and load it up to 50#, holding it in front of the shoulders instead of letting dumbbells hang down -- my thumbs just couldn't hold the weight. Also you could try holding the dumbbells up, in a curl position, or resting then on your shoulders if you don't want to move to the bar. I want to try pulling the regular 45# bar off the rack onto the back of my shoulders for step-ups next time, inside the rack.

When you say to hold the bar in front of my shoulders, do you mean like the way it is demonstrated for the front squats (p. 181)? Thanks
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

I have suffered repetitive stress injuries in both hands/thumbs, so my grip is very weak. I know that I will fail with grip before I fail with weight. I found I had to switch to one of shorter bars at the gym (mine has 25# and 30#), and load it up to 50#, holding it in front of the shoulders instead of letting dumbbells hang down -- my thumbs just couldn't hold the weight. Also you could try holding the dumbbells up, in a curl position, or resting then on your shoulders if you don't want to move to the bar. I want to try pulling the regular 45# bar off the rack onto the back of my shoulders for step-ups next time, inside the rack.

When you say to hold the bar in front of my shoulders, do you mean like the way it is demonstrated for the front squats (p. 181)? Thanks

yes :)
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options

I did my step ups in the squat rack yesterday too and it worked out pretty good. Now I feel like I can add more weight without ripping my hands out of the sockets. :) I was doing the step ups with 30 lb. dumbbells (super awkward) so I moved up to 70 lbs (including the barbell) and it was good so I went up to 80 lbs. for my second set. I'm using a 12 inch plyometric box to step up on right now.

Do you think it would be better to increase the weight or increase the height of the step?
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

I did my step ups in the squat rack yesterday too and it worked out pretty good. Now I feel like I can add more weight without ripping my hands out of the sockets. :) I was doing the step ups with 30 lb. dumbbells (super awkward) so I moved up to 70 lbs (including the barbell) and it was good so I went up to 80 lbs. for my second set. I'm using a 12 inch plyometric box to step up on right now.

Do you think it would be better to increase the weight or increase the height of the step?

I'd increase the height at least to 18". You're moving that weight (and your own) 6 more inches.
  • mstawnya
    Options

I'd increase the height at least to 18". You're moving that weight (and your own) 6 more inches.

Thanks! I'll try that on Friday and see how it goes. :)
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi! All the newish folks are doing so well! Why didn't I ever think of doing the step-ups in the squat rack--duh! I have grip issues too. Oh well, too late now--today was my last A workout in Stage 1 (I did an extra A instead of doing the AMRAPs). About to start reading about Stage 2....
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Finishing Stage 1 tonight! Decided against the AMRAPS since I started with such low weigth and I am excited to start integrating more cardio in Stage 2. So 8B tonight and then I am going to rest my muscles until next Tuesday, maybe do some running or Zumba between now and then.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I will finish Stage 1 tomorrow. Excited but a little bummed. I feel like I should have progressed more. I might do a combo of A & B Friday instead of the AMRAP.

It's almost TOM and I am not excited about stepping on scales or measuring at the end of my stage. So I'll wait until next week right before stage 2.
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Did my first stage 1 workout today and loved it, came out of the gym on a real high and can't wait to lift again on friday. :bigsmile:
    Also excited to see my progression as I go through the plan. Struggled with the step ups a little pretty sure there was some use of the back leg, but not much so I will have to watch that. :wink:
  • mstawnya
    Options
    Question about the lunges: how do I increase the weight if I feel like my hands are going to be pulled out of the sockets? It's a wrist/finger grip issue when they just hang down at my sides. I'm using 25 lb. dumbbells to do the lunges. My ideas so far are to either put them up on my shoulders or to get a short bar and put it across my shoulders. Any advice? How do others do them?
  • manic4titans
    Options
    8B completed today! I have decided NOT to do AMRAP Friday. Instead, I will do 2 sets of 8 for each exercise of A & B. I don't think that will be too much. Ya think?

Here is my overall progression.

A workout:

Squats 40 Dumbbell (Goblet squat) and 40 lbs back squat > 50 lbs Goblet squat

push ups counter height> bench height
    seated row 60 pounds > 96 lbs (was able to do 108 for one set)

Step up 10 pound each hand 18 inch step > 12 pound each hand to 24 inch step
    Jack knife barely keeping balance to no problem

B Workout:

Deadlifts 50 pounds > 90 pounds

Shoulder press 3lbs > 8lbs (still not progressing with the right shoulder like I hoped to)
    Wide grip lat pull 48 lbs > 72 lbs

Lunge 16 lbs > 35 lbs (8 lbs each hand and 17.5 each hand, respectively)
    Swiss Ball Crunch no weights > 5 lbs over head

TOM so I will not weigh or give measurements until the day before Stage 2.
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I just did my first workout today and I have a little bit of a dilemma. Maybe this has been asked before and maybe it hasn't. The squat rack I can use is actually a smith machine, which I've heard doesn't do nearly as much good as a regular squat rack. Should I keep using that or use dumbbells? I also have no idea what the bar weighs on the smith machine, which doesn't help. I'm thinking it is somewhere around 15 or 20 #s.
    I know at one time I could squat somewhere around 120#s, so I'm also worried about being able to hold that weight in dumbbells. Anyone have any ideas?
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Google goblet squat. That's what I did the majority of the time due to nerve damage in my shoulder. Hope that helps you.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Google goblet squat. That's what I did the majority of the time due to nerve damage in my shoulder. Hope that helps you.

I really like these. They are great, I think, for getting the feel of correct squat form.
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    I just did my first workout today and I have a little bit of a dilemma. Maybe this has been asked before and maybe it hasn't. The squat rack I can use is actually a smith machine, which I've heard doesn't do nearly as much good as a regular squat rack. Should I keep using that or use dumbbells? I also have no idea what the bar weighs on the smith machine, which doesn't help. I'm thinking it is somewhere around 15 or 20 #s.
    I know at one time I could squat somewhere around 120#s, so I'm also worried about being able to hold that weight in dumbbells. Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe the dumbells?
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    Did my first stage 1 workout today and loved it, came out of the gym on a real high and can't wait to lift again on friday. :bigsmile:
    Also excited to see my progression as I go through the plan. Struggled with the step ups a little pretty sure there was some use of the back leg, but not much so I will have to watch that. :wink:

Awesome!
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Completed 4B today after a week away last week... so it had been over a week since I had done 3B.

Deadlifts- 75 lbs (oly bar + 15 on each side)
    Shoulder press- 10 lbs each hand
    Wide grip lat pull- 50 lbs
    Lunges- 10 lbs each hand (exhausted!)
    Swiss ball crunch- 10 lb kettle bell on chest

I had to take a break in the middle of my second set of deadlifts and lunges. I figure that's better than trying to go lighter or do fewer... I just wanted to be sure I could maintain form.

Now I'll spend some time with my foam roller to deal with my quads :sad:

Hurts so good!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Peeew. I just did 3A...

What's the best way to ramp up the jacknife? I have my lower legs mostly straight at this point and butt in the sky, so I think shortly I'll require a more advanced one to make them hard enough. Right now, getting those legs straight at the top of the pike is enough.. but it wont be in a minute.

I'm sorry for asking questions every day. I really like Stage One. I hope the other stages are as delicious. I'm going to have to peek ahead just to confirm it will be the best ever

squats 55
    rows 85
    step ups 50
    push ups - counter height.

Also, these push ups were rough. I suck at them, really bad. Man, I FEEL GOOD THOUGH. NROL! NROL. *chants, squats, cheers*