TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR

Options

Replies

• HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Could someone just check I'm going to do this right today....
    TDEE for a moderately active me is 2550. With a 15% cut it's 2167.
    My BMR is 1645

Today I really went for it and burned 823 cals.

If I calculate 2167-823 I get a figure which is under my BMI, i.e. 1344
    Should I therefore be eating the difference between my BMI and 1344 (1645-1344=301 cals) as well as my 15% cut of 2167 cals?

I don't normally burn this much, hence my question. I wonder if I'll ever get to grips with these numbers :laugh:

Yes you've got it. You should eat the extra :)

thanks! Just catching up with the thread, almost missed this :smile:
  • Tenar13
    Tenar13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mrshotwing
    Mrshotwing Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Can someone please help me figure this out...
    I am 5'2
    weight 122.00
    BMR (according to MFP) 1229
    I have a desk job but try to work out for at least 20 minutes 5 days a week. Right now its the 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels.

i hold steady around this weight and cant get it to budge below 121.6 when its not "that time of the month"
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    If I have this right, this is what my calorie intake should be?

I'm 26, 5feet tall, and 116 pounds.

BMR = 1313
    TDEE = 2035
    TDEE (-15%) = 1729

For my calorie intake...

Non-workout days: Average 1600-1700 cals
    Lifting Days: Average 1800-1900 cals
    Cardio Days: Try to net 1600-1700 cals, but AT LEAST 1300

Sound about right????
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Ths saturday will be week 5 for me. My weight has gone up 6lbs total....down 1lb last week. I have to admit I am not feeling confident that something amazing is going to happen in the next week and a half...
    What should I do if this is the case? Could I be eating too much?

I'm 31
    5'5 1/2
    Currently 135lbs (was 130.6)
    BMR 1400.
    TDEE (4-6days of exercise per week) = 2170
    15% cut = 1844....rounded to 1800
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Whirlwind of confusion...

BMR =1570
    TDEE=2159
    15% cut = 1835

I work out 4 days a week, 30 min, and burn 300-500 calories, not 1000, so I listed it as light exercise. 2 cardio days, and 2 days of kettle bells.
    So now what, I am so lost...
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! QUICK RESPONSES PLEASE??????????????

Okay. So I've been eating WAY under apparently. But now that I've been reading this and as long as I got the numbers thing right I need to be eating 1949 everyday (was eatin 1200 for about 4 months) my TDEE is 2292 and BMR is 1493. And if I workout and I burn more than 456 calories that day I need to get enough to get above my BMR.

So as long as I got that right? Here's where I need the urgent help.

I have a wedding that I'm in June 1st. My dress fits perfect, snug but it's strapless and I'm bigger chested so I like it like that, I know my "guys" as I call them aren't going anywhere. BUT, should I go ahead and start eating my 1900 calories today and continue it and just take a chance? I can NOT gain anything in my belly area between now and June 1st or my dress will NOT fit. I promise. I need help. What should I do? It's a size 8 and the way the dress is, can not be taken out and my hair will be up so it's not like we could mess with it or anything, cause it would be noticeable. And I don't want to look uncomfortable in this dress. I've lost 50lbs so far and have worked hard to get here today but don't want to look like I ordered a to small of a dress! PLEASE HELP. You can message me if that's easier! THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! QUICK RESPONSES PLEASE??????????????

Okay. So I've been eating WAY under apparently. But now that I've been reading this and as long as I got the numbers thing right I need to be eating 1949 everyday (was eatin 1200 for about 4 months) my TDEE is 2292 and BMR is 1493. And if I workout and I burn more than 456 calories that day I need to get enough to get above my BMR.

I have a wedding that I'm in June 1st. My dress fits perfect, snug but it's strapless and I'm bigger chested so I like it like that, I know my "guys" as I call them aren't going anywhere. BUT, should I go ahead and start eating my 1900 calories today and continue it and just take a chance? I can NOT gain anything in my belly area between now and June 1st or my dress will NOT fit. I promise. I need help. What should I do? It's a size 8 and the way the dress is, can not be taken out and my hair will be up so it's not like we could mess with it or anything, cause it would be noticeable. And I don't want to look uncomfortable in this dress. I've lost 50lbs so far and have worked hard to get here today but don't want to look like I ordered a to small of a dress! PLEASE HELP. You can message me if that's easier! THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!
    Well, since the wedding is June 1st and everyone's body reacts differently...some lose immediately, some gain, some stay the same...and you have a dress that you can't chance not fitting. I would say wait until June 2nd to start...at least eat your BMR though...1200 is just not enough. OK, NO ONE ELSE TAKE THAT AND RUN WITH IT...lol.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Well, since the wedding is June 1st and everyone's body reacts differently...some lose immediately, some gain, some stay the same...and you have a dress that you can't chance not fitting. I would say wait until June 2nd to start...at least eat your BMR though...1200 is just not enough. OK, NO ONE ELSE TAKE THAT AND RUN WITH IT...lol.

Oh my, now that I think about it, you could possibly gain with your BMR. I didn't gain when I bumped up to my BMR amount but not positive you wouldn't. Hmmm, maybe Kiki will jump in on this one...
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is worth the risk. You are only talking about 2 weeks in the grand scheme of things. Up the calories on June 2nd!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options

As much as it pains me to say it :sick: ...I'd wait until after the wedding. The risk of gaining is just too high. :frown:

I would just take this time to get prepared mentally for what will take place. Scour the EM2WL forums, and watch all the vids, etc,. so that after the wedding you are fully prepared to dive in.

I would NEVER, EVER recommend it, :noway: but in this case, I just think that you would be pushing it to hope not to experience even the slightest bit of bloat during the transition.

Enjoy the wedding, and we look forward to seeing you in a couple weeks, missy :wink:

~Kiki
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Ths saturday will be week 5 for me. My weight has gone up 6lbs total....down 1lb last week. I have to admit I am not feeling confident that something amazing is going to happen in the next week and a half...

I'm 31
    5'5 1/2
    BMR 1400.

If you lost 1lb last week, why are you doubtful of another loss in the next wk and a half?
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

As much as it pains me to say it :sick: ...I'd wait until after the wedding. The risk of gaining is just too high. :frown:

I would just take this time to get prepared mentally for what will take place. Scour the EM2WL forums, and watch all the vids, etc,. so that after the wedding you are fully prepared to dive in.

I would NEVER, EVER recommend it, :noway: but in this case, I just think that you would be pushing it to hope not to experience even the slightest bit of bloat during the transition.

Enjoy the wedding, and we look forward to seeing you in a couple weeks, missy :wink:

~Kiki

Okay! THANK YOU so much! Right now I am eating around 1400 calories though. Some days have been 1500 ish. But I don't want to go that high to 1900 2 weeks before. I'll be back though. And I'll still be here. I log in everyday. :)
  • cafeconleche
    Options
    Thank you thank you for all of this information. I have been using MFP for awhile, and I have been stuck at200 lbs for weeks now. I initially lost about 16 lbs. didn't expect to plateau so soon. This really helps, and I'm hoping will take my weight loss, as well as the use of this app to the next level. I have been way, way under according to what myTDEE/BMR has been calculated. Can't wait to see what happens. Again, thank you!
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

I'm 31
    5'5 1/2
    BMR 1400.

If you lost 1lb last week, why are you doubtful of another loss in the next wk and a half?

Kiki-I am feeling very bloated and my clothes are not fitting very well. I figured that would be gone by now??
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Ok a newbie to MFP trying to get this figured out. MFP has given me 1200 cals a day which I have been abiding to and not eating back many if any of my exercise calories a day. Here are my stats:

Female, 47 yrs old
    Desk job
    Walking 30-60 min at least 3x a week
    current 190 lbs
    goal 150-160 lbs

Calculator gave me the following

BMR 1569
    TDEE 2158
    15% reduction 1834

So do I have this correct that I am really suppose to be eating 1834 daily to lose weight and when I exercise make sure I do not go below 1569 on those days? Is it ok to eat anywhere in between the 1569 to 1834, just never below 1569? After eating 1200 calories and getting used to it that seems like a lot more food than Im used to!!! Thanks for the input.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Ok a newbie to MFP trying to get this figured out. MFP has given me 1200 cals a day which I have been abiding to and not eating back many if any of my exercise calories a day. Here are my stats:

Female, 47 yrs old
    Desk job
    Walking 30-60 min at least 3x a week
    current 190 lbs
    goal 150-160 lbs

Calculator gave me the following

BMR 1569
    TDEE 2158
    15% reduction 1834

So do I have this correct that I am really suppose to be eating 1834 daily to lose weight and when I exercise make sure I do not go below 1569 on those days? Is it ok to eat anywhere in between the 1569 to 1834, just never below 1569? After eating 1200 calories and getting used to it that seems like a lot more food than Im used to!!! Thanks for the input.

If you have been low caling, it is much better to be consistent for the first 6weeks to get your body to trust that this isn't just some binge cycle you are on. Trust me, your body will use the fuel and will burn higher because you are giving yourself more food. Eat the 1834 every single day and make sure not to net less than 1569 on workout days. Take pics, take measurements and put away the scale...give it time, don't stress and enjoy the process. It really does work! Even more so when the mind is prepared for some initial swings...take a look at "What to expect when upping cals".
  • ANewLucia
    Options

I'm 31
    5'5 1/2
    BMR 1400.

Kiki-I am feeling very bloated and my clothes are not fitting very well. I figured that would be gone by now??

Oh my goodness, I took a look at your menu thinking maybe something there is causing the bloat...I will tell you to try stopping the Benefiber...oh I had a horrible experience with it...it caused me severe bloating, excess gas, and constipation...TMI I know...but that may be the issue.
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    If I have this right, this is what my calorie intake should be?

I'm 26, 5feet tall, and 116 pounds.

BMR = 1313
    TDEE = 2035
    TDEE (-15%) = 1729

For my calorie intake...

Non-workout days: Average 1600-1700 cals
    Lifting Days: Average 1800-1900 cals
    Cardio Days: Try to net 1600-1700 cals, but AT LEAST 1300

Sound about right????

Okay, day one and I've already confused myself.....

Am I supposed to be NETTING these amounts? (For example, today I've eaten 1700 calories. I'm done eating for the day. In a few hours I'm going to go bike ride and burn 500-600 calories...at the end of my bike ride, do I just log the exercise and call it a day? Or and I supposed to eat more?)