Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I still feel like something is wrong with me because I really havent gained any weight since I began EMTLW almost 4 months ago. My inches have gone up slightly, and the weight has bounced from my start of 238, to a low of 233, and is currently 236..so I guess it went up a little after I jumped to Cut .. but basically my weight has been unchanged.. I keep hearing of a lot of you gaining 3-5-8-10 pounds on reset, and I feel out of place.. (what kind of weird messed up mind do I have to WANT to gain weight??:))..

I am weighing in on Wed, and the scale should show a gain over my previous weeks due to having a rest week. Two weeks ago, I was 234.8, last week with AF hitting, I went to 236.4, and so far, peeking on the scale has me about the same.. so it appears as though I have gained through my rest week, which would mean I am at my proper TDEE... So at least I know I am where I should be..

Getting Anxious... very anxious..
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I still feel like something is wrong with me because I really havent gained any weight since I began EMTLW almost 4 months ago. My inches have gone up slightly, and the weight has bounced from my start of 238, to a low of 233, and is currently 236..so I guess it went up a little after I jumped to Cut .. but basically my weight has been unchanged.. I keep hearing of a lot of you gaining 3-5-8-10 pounds on reset, and I feel out of place.. (what kind of weird messed up mind do I have to WANT to gain weight??:))..

I am weighing in on Wed, and the scale should show a gain over my previous weeks due to having a rest week. Two weeks ago, I was 234.8, last week with AF hitting, I went to 236.4, and so far, peeking on the scale has me about the same.. so it appears as though I have gained through my rest week, which would mean I am at my proper TDEE... So at least I know I am where I should be..

Getting Anxious... very anxious..
    I think you should be happy-so you know where your TDEE is :)
    Gaining weight is not that much fun anyway ;)
    Keep it up
  • iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Raynn1
    Don't worry! I started eating more about 3 months ago and have only gained about 2 pounds. I also started eatining at maintenance on May 29th, and I am only 1.2 pounds more now than when I started. So, I really haven't gained any weight either. I know I ate VLCD for most of my life, so I thought I would definately gain more! Way to go for us NOT gaining (much)!
  • asidebottom
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm five weeks or so in :bigsmile: and not 100% sure I'm eating enough....

I used the data from my Fitbit to set my TDEE, comes out at 2100, I averaged two weeks of data. Scooby has me at more like 2300.

I feel like I have lost weight but I refuse to go anywhere near the scale! and I have been hungry, very hungry over the past couple of days. I've just eaten my lunch - chicken salad, oatcakes and a greek yoghurt and I want more :laugh:

So do you think I should up it a bit, say another 100?

Thanks
    Alison
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am wrapping up my 4th week of reset. 6 weeks to go. I have officially hit the point where I am ready to cut. Why is maintaining so hard?

I've been fighting a persistent sickness for the last couple weeks. Yesteray was the first in my reset where I did not hit my calories. Of course I feel guilty for it, which is kind of funny when you think of it. Feeling bad over not eating ENOUGH. So weird!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm half way into the reset (week 5) and had a small gain from last week (again) 0.6 pounds. I thought about adjusting the cals down by 150. I had a one pound loss in the first week (so -1, +.4, +.2, +.6), I decided to leave it be and just wait it out (unless some one can give me a reason otherwise). Measurements next week.
    I'm kinda taking it easy right now due to a slight back injury, just walking last week, this week adding counter push ups (weak upper body).

On another note, I just ordered New Rules and BM Core! My Apt. community has a gym with some free weights and machines, but I see kids hanging out there after the management leaves. So, if I want to use it I'll have to get up around 4 am to get to work on time....holy crap! Thinking about getting my own equipment, but I live on the second floor and lugging it up the stairs will be a work out of it's own:laugh: Maybe in the near future, one piece at a time.

Here's to a better life for us all:drinker: <---(Kool-aid)!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am wrapping up my 4th week of reset. 6 weeks to go. I have officially hit the point where I am ready to cut. Why is maintaining so hard?

I've been fighting a persistent sickness for the last couple weeks. Yesteray was the first in my reset where I did not hit my calories. Of course I feel guilty for it, which is kind of funny when you think of it. Feeling bad over not eating ENOUGH. So weird!

It's funny how in this group, we feel guilty about eating as much as we do, guilty if we don't eat enough, and WANT to get back to a eating a few less cals!...LOL!

It just goes to show us all, how much mental damage dieting does to our way of thinking. It's like trying to shed years of brainwashing, coming up from the depths and seeing the sun for the first time. It's blinding, it hurts, but once we get used to it, it's absolutely LOVELY and we never want to live without it again. :happy:

Maintaining during the reset is particularly hard I think because we want to lose the weight so badly. Not necessarily because eating the cals is hard (well, at first it is, but afterwards it's much easier). We are anxious to get the bodies we are aiming for and want to get started. Patience is so important with this method. It's amazing how many GOOD habits we are learning with EM2WL...not just how to drop weight, but how to live a better, fuller life in so many ways.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options

It's funny how in this group, we feel guilty about eating as much as we do, guilty if we don't eat enough, and WANT to get back to a eating a few less cals!...LOL!

It just goes to show us all, how much mental damage dieting does to our way of thinking. It's like trying to shed years of brainwashing, coming up from the depths and seeing the sun for the first time. It's blinding, it hurts, but once we get used to it, it's absolutely LOVELY and we never want to live without it again. :happy:

Maintaining during the reset is particularly hard I think because we want to lose the weight so badly. Not necessarily because eating the cals is hard (well, at first it is, but afterwards it's much easier). We are anxious to get the bodies we are aiming for and want to get started. Patience is so important with this method. It's amazing how many GOOD habits we are learning with EM2WL...not just how to drop weight, but how to live a better, fuller life in so many ways.

It is so hard to be patient with the process. You just want to speed through it. Now that I am getting through it, I feel like the reset is for a mental reboot as much as physical. Just an overall pause button - stop, breath, relax, then move forward. I think the desire for fast-fast-fast results is the hardest habit to break so far.
  • carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone -

I was on vacation for the past week and couldn't access the board from my phone (you can't acess the community boards from the iPhone app - can you?)...but I have read the updates and want to say:

I AM VERY PROUD OF ALL YOU!!!!! Over the past week, everyone stuck with it - and that's an acomplishment in itself.

Now I think I am one of the early vacationers so let me tell you - going on vacation and not worrying about what I can or can't eat is simply AWESOME!

I am beginning week 3 of my reset and I am sure that I am up a few pounds and still struggle with the bloat every so often but am hoping that will resolve itself in the next week or so. I was only planning on doing a reset for 4 weeks but may stick with it for the full 8. I am not experencing the same results as many of you are...I just feel flabby and bloated....and am not hungry. So this may be my body's way of telling me to continue.

Is this still "normal" after 3 weeks?

This week my goal is to continue to meet my protein macro every day.....

Happy Monday y'all!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options

It is so hard to be patient with the process. You just want to speed through it. Now that I am getting through it, I feel like the reset is for a mental reboot as much as physical. Just an overall pause button - stop, breath, relax, then move forward. I think the desire for fast-fast-fast results is the hardest habit to break so far.

I agree that the desire for quick results is very hard to push past. I *know* that doing this the proper and healthy way means a snail's pace when it comes to weight loss. Even that I think I'm doing okay with, but maintaining and having NO loss is what's killing me. I know it's necessary, but that doesn't make it easy to wait. I'm in the middle of week four. At the end of this week I'll be through four weeks of reset. Woo woo. Four down and four to go!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I agree that the desire for quick results is very hard to push past. I *know* that doing this the proper and healthy way means a snail's pace when it comes to weight loss. Even that I think I'm doing okay with, but maintaining and having NO loss is what's killing me. I know it's necessary, but that doesn't make it easy to wait. I'm in the middle of week four. At the end of this week I'll be through four weeks of reset. Woo woo. Four down and four to go!

The no tangible results is what is bothering me. NO weight lost,.. but 1400 cals more a day and maintaining is great... measurements are up all around, and that bothers me the most.. I see so many in here resetting but at least seeing measurements change...I have 6 pairs of capri's that I cant wear. I have one pair of pants, one pair of yoga pants and one pair of shorts.. thats it.. I eat so much in comparision to friends and family and I feel like I am stuffing myself, yet they are the ones losing the weight.. I am not..
    I just want to be done with this... I need to move on with this
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm reading yet another book . . . The Smarter Science of Slim. Just wanted to share a very interesting experiment from the book, done at St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix, Arizona. In the experiment, they took two groups of people - one of heavy people and one of thin people. They were put on a 0 calorie intake for a length of time and their metabolisms/stored energy usages were measured scientifically. Both groups show slowdowns in metabolism as their bodies tried to make up for the loss of intake. Heavy people didn't burn their fat stores first - they burned their muscle. Muscle takes more energy to maintain so the body naturally tried to get rid of it first in a crisis situation.

So which do you want to lose most? Weight? Or body fat?

My choice is to get rid of the body fat. By working out effectively and feeding my body the nutrition it needs. It's going to take time and a lot of mental stamina to get through this reset. But totally worth it when I can show of the leaner, healthier me.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    The no tangible results is what is bothering me. NO weight lost,.. but 1400 cals more a day and maintaining is great... measurements are up all around, and that bothers me the most.. I see so many in here resetting but at least seeing measurements change...I have 6 pairs of capri's that I cant wear. I have one pair of pants, one pair of yoga pants and one pair of shorts.. thats it.. I eat so much in comparision to friends and family and I feel like I am stuffing myself, yet they are the ones losing the weight.. I am not..
    I just want to be done with this... I need to move on with this

I completely understand. It's very hard to want to go anywhere when you know that your clothing options are so limited. My husband eats less than I do, (but then again, he doesn't work out...I do) Thankfully most of my work clothes still fit, but once I get home, it's pretty much pajamas and workout shorts if I want to feel at all comfy. :grumble: I hate seeing anyone I know at any time because I just feel so large and awkward. I have only gained inches and pounds so far...no loss. And although I've only been resetting 3.5 weeks, I've been upping cals now for around 11 weeks. Been doing this a while now - it's a process, and for some of us it's a little harder than others.

But, I know it's important to let my body learn to trust in a consistent and overabundant food source for a period of time. It had 20 years of being treated like there was a food shortage. If I cut that short, my weight loss results once I get to cut may not be as effective...so, I'm sticking it out. This isn't for ever....it's just 8 weeks. We can do this!!

(Oh, and I'm typing this in the midst of the worst part of TOM....I'm cramping and I'm retaining so much flipping water my legs ache and feel stretched around the lower calves when I walk . I never used to get this on VLCD, it's new to me and it's horrible and it makes even less of my clothing fit - just thought I'd share that so that you knew I REALLY do understand how awful it can be...:wink: )
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm five weeks or so in :bigsmile: and not 100% sure I'm eating enough....

I used the data from my Fitbit to set my TDEE, comes out at 2100, I averaged two weeks of data. Scooby has me at more like 2300.

I feel like I have lost weight but I refuse to go anywhere near the scale! and I have been hungry, very hungry over the past couple of days. I've just eaten my lunch - chicken salad, oatcakes and a greek yoghurt and I want more :laugh:

So do you think I should up it a bit, say another 100?

Thanks
    Alison

Alison - I am using my Fitbit numbers as I seem to be between lightly and moderately active when using Scooby or Fat2Fit. Are you 5 weeks into eating less or reset?
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    *edited as was duplicate post
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, I've been going about my business and trying to eat up to 2400 every day. I'm starting week 4 of my reset, and it wasn't until last week that two pounds jumped out at me and decided to stay. That also came with the bloating, so I'm not a really happy camper if I look down at my tummy. Three weeks ago I said that I'd do a 4-week reset and then reevaluate. I might stretch it to a 5.5 or 6-week reset just because of the July 4th holiday. :wink:

I think in my mind I am telling myself that I don't need to reset too long because I haven't been on a VLCD per se; I had been eating solidly at 2000 throughout the winter (which was technically TDEE -15% without my knowledge) and in May did a -20% cut rather blindly, slashing my cals to 1500-1700. This was before I discovered EM2WL. After reading the last few posts, it definitely gives me some pause to evaluate how much longer I want to reset. I'm lifting heavy 2x/wk and doing HIIT 1-2x/wk, so I know my muscles beneath the fat are there! Everyone here is going through the antsy dance, and I totally empathize. I went to Old Navy and got two skirts with stretchy waistbands, and picked up two pairs of shorts in one size larger than my usual, just so I can survive the hot summer. That bums me a bit, but I'm also thinking it's an investment in my long-term success.

What I'm trying to wrap my mind around is: will this work? After a reasonable reset, once I start the TDEE - 15% and continue my workouts, will it work? What if it doesn't? Where do I go from there if it doesn't work? And the flip side: what if it DOES work? I guess I'll know by the end of August if there's progress overall. I'm glad to be keeping company with all of you, some starting around the same time, some earlier, and being able to see that we are all struggling right now. I will power through this and remember to trust the process.
  • terrigrace
    Options
    Reset Day 24: Wednesday is my weigh in day and my scale (my friend today) reports I'm down 0.4. How is that even possible? (As I chuckle a bit) I'm eating 2236 calories per day, working out 3 days a week, and going against every bit of weight loss advice I've ever had. I did South Beach 8 years ago, Weight Watchers twice in the years before and and then after I had my daughter. Losing and then gaining what i lost back plus 5 pounds. And I feel amazing. I'm not as tired or grouchy (though hubby would beg to differ since we are fighting at the moment) and when I put my hand on my waist I can actually feel a bit more definition. I don't feel the fat, I can feel a rib! My measurements haven't changed very much, but my body shape seems to be. I'm thrilled - and ready for another 5 weeks.

After my initial gain of 2 pounds I seem to have stabilized. I'm wondering if I continue to lose (though I can't see how that's possible at this calorie level and can't believe I'm asking this!) do I bump up my TDEE? Or go with the flow for the rest of my 8 weeks?
  • terrigrace
    Options
    Hello ladies, I've been going about my business and trying to eat up to 2400 every day. I'm starting week 4 of my reset, and it wasn't until last week that two pounds jumped out at me and decided to stay. That also came with the bloating, so I'm not a really happy camper if I look down at my tummy. Three weeks ago I said that I'd do a 4-week reset and then reevaluate. I might stretch it to a 5.5 or 6-week reset just because of the July 4th holiday. :wink:

I think in my mind I am telling myself that I don't need to reset too long because I haven't been on a VLCD per se; I had been eating solidly at 2000 throughout the winter (which was technically TDEE -15% without my knowledge) and in May did a -20% cut rather blindly, slashing my cals to 1500-1700. This was before I discovered EM2WL. After reading the last few posts, it definitely gives me some pause to evaluate how much longer I want to reset. I'm lifting heavy 2x/wk and doing HIIT 1-2x/wk, so I know my muscles beneath the fat are there! Everyone here is going through the antsy dance, and I totally empathize. I went to Old Navy and got two skirts with stretchy waistbands, and picked up two pairs of shorts in one size larger than my usual, just so I can survive the hot summer. That bums me a bit, but I'm also thinking it's an investment in my long-term success.

What I'm trying to wrap my mind around is: will this work? After a reasonable reset, once I start the TDEE - 15% and continue my workouts, will it work? What if it doesn't? Where do I go from there if it doesn't work? And the flip side: what if it DOES work? I guess I'll know by the end of August if there's progress overall. I'm glad to be keeping company with all of you, some starting around the same time, some earlier, and being able to see that we are all struggling right now. I will power through this and remember to trust the process.

There seems to be quite a group of us that started reset at about the same time. I've seen a few success stories here and there with people who've been at EM2WL longer, but not the large groups of people we seem to have around now. I think we are a bit of an experiment. All the reading I've been doing says that this will work. Our bodies are amazing machines and adapt to whatever we give them to work with. They don't always adapt the way we want them to, that's how we ended up with the extra fat storage in the first place. We are learning to work with our bodies and ask them politely to do what we want, not forcing the issue. I think that's what reset is all about. Teaching our bodies what it will be like at maintenance. It adapts. then we do a cut. The only reaction possible is for us to lose, because that's the natural reaction after maintaining and then cutting calories. I just read a whole list of studies that purposely gave people anywhere from an extra 500 to 1000 calories a day for 7 weeks. You would think from the numbers they would all gain 16 pounds each? Nope. The average gain was only 0.88 pounds. The most reported was around 2, the least was a 0. Wild! Your body is adapting, and will lose that much more cleanly and easily when the time comes for you to do your cut. Don't give up! Hugs,
  • seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    I'm in the middle of week 3 of my reset and doing ok for now...I love coming here and seeing all the positive encouragement!! I haven't really lost or gained during my 3 week reset so far....just tossing around the same 5 pounds as usual. Crazy that I'm eating 2500-2600cals a freaking DAY and not gaining weight!?!?! Absolutely nutso when I think about the years and years and years spent at 1200-1500cals....dumb. So glad I found this group and so glad we're all on our way to a healthier lifestyle! =)
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to introduce myself. I'm about a week into my reset. Aiming to average at 2200 per day or more (I'm 5'1 and 105-109lbs, not wanting to lose or gain). Terrified! So far I am up 2lbs but I am sure that's just a normal fluctuation.