Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I joined the thread a couple of weeks ago and then life caught up with me and I haven't been able to keep up with this thread. I want to try to do better about checking in here.

I'm in week 14 of my reset. To recap, I gained about 4 pounds the first few weeks and then held steady. It took until 8-10 weeks until I began to feel it was kicking in for me. At week 11, my weight trended back down about a pound. Then I changed my lifting routine and the changes caused me to hold onto another 2-3 pounds for 2 weeks. Now I'm back down to where I was week 11. The hunger has kicked back in the last week or two as well.

I'm going to keep eating at maintenance and reevaluate every few weeks or so but so far I'm happy with the way things are going so I think I'm going to keep at it for a while. It seemed like it took a long time to start seeing the effects of eating more, I'm okay with being patient a while longer.

Stay strong!

Wow, I am so impressed! When I heard Kiki did the reset for 3 months I was so shocked...then scared that maybe it would be the best route for me too! I just don't think I can do it, though. My plan is cut 10% at 8 weeks then back up to TDEE every 4 weeks and see how that goes.

Great work and dedication! Keep us posted on how its going!
  • iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I joined the thread a couple of weeks ago and then life caught up with me and I haven't been able to keep up with this thread. I want to try to do better about checking in here.

I'm in week 14 of my reset. To recap, I gained about 4 pounds the first few weeks and then held steady. It took until 8-10 weeks until I began to feel it was kicking in for me. At week 11, my weight trended back down about a pound. Then I changed my lifting routine and the changes caused me to hold onto another 2-3 pounds for 2 weeks. Now I'm back down to where I was week 11. The hunger has kicked back in the last week or two as well.

I'm going to keep eating at maintenance and reevaluate every few weeks or so but so far I'm happy with the way things are going so I think I'm going to keep at it for a while. It seemed like it took a long time to start seeing the effects of eating more, I'm okay with being patient a while longer.

Stay strong!

Wow, I am so impressed! When I heard Kiki did the reset for 3 months I was so shocked...then scared that maybe it would be the best route for me too! I just don't think I can do it, though. My plan is cut 10% at 8 weeks then back up to TDEE every 4 weeks and see how that goes.

Great work and dedication! Keep us posted on how its going!

I have the same plan as you, 8 weeks reset, cut 10% then every 4 weeks have one week at TDEE until I reach my goal. =)
  • carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Quick question for y'all:

I am in the middle of my 4th week of my reset and dang I am TIRED! Like don't blink to long because I might fall asleep at my desk tired...

I thought I had read that this is normal but can't remember...so figured why not ask my own personal panel of experts :wink:

Anyone else experience tiredness? And when how long did it last?
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

Stay strong!

Just curious.. why are you still at maintenance at 14 weeks? Are you trying to maintain and lose inches, or are you bulking then cutting. (Sorry, just insanely curious since Im struggling just to make it to 8 weeks!:))

No, certainly not trying to bulk! Trying to maintain and lose inches. Lucia and Kiki keep saying the magic happens at 8 weeks, maybe more for some. Well, they were right about everything I experienced so far, I decided to keep the faith. I did begin to feel different, but it took a long time to get there. It kind of feels like it’s been gaining in momentum in the last few weeks. I might feel very differently if I was back at the beginning with 40 pounds to lose again, I might be eager to cut and probably already would have done it. But I was only trying to maintain my weight to begin with. I don’t want to have to undereat the rest of my life to do that.

I see some stories where eating more results in changes within just a few weeks and they happily and successfully return to cutting. My experience is that it took much longer than a few weeks to begin to feel any different, I thought it might be helpful for some to see that. I can’t say that I haven’t been frustrated along the way or that I won’t ever try to do a cut. But if I can effect changes while eating at what should be maintenance, which it seems I finally am, I’m happy to stay here a while.
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Quick question for y'all:

I am in the middle of my 4th week of my reset and dang I am TIRED! Like don't blink to long because I might fall asleep at my desk tired...

I thought I had read that this is normal but can't remember...so figured why not ask my own personal panel of experts :wink:

Anyone else experience tiredness? And when how long did it last?

I experienced excessive tiredness early on and then again around 4 weeks. Each time it only lasted a few days, though (thankfully, because it made me SO tired I nearly fell asleep driving home from work---yikes!).
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    As always, thanks so much for your input. I do P90 (not X) and the strength session is 35 min of actual exercise and the cardio is about the 45 min. So, that's 2 hours 30 min. Because they are fairly short, I consider them to be light. Also, the cardio is only a bit tough in just one or two spots, but nothing terribly crazy and the strength sessions feel kind of easy to me at this point (we've been doing the highest level 3/4 for a few weeks now and I'm maxing out the 25lb adjustable freeweights I have) :/

I know that come fall when summer sessions are over and I'm back to my crazy fall schedule with 3 out of 5 days of late nights of teaching that I will be able to get in 3 maybe 4 workouts a week. I have a 45 min commute each way which only decreases my available time.

I guess when I look at how I'm gaining and that my exercising isn't what I had initially plugged in it only makes sense that I'm eating more than my actual tdee.

If you don't think it will ruin all my efforts thus far (just starting my 5th week today), I will bump down to the next activity level (which I believe is actually more accurate for me). Does that sound right?

Sounds about right. I think that it's important that you are eating for the right activity level and I don't think it will ruin your efforts so far...one small adjustment shouldn't cause you any major setback if it's the right adjustment to make. :smile:

Thanks for your confirmation that lowering my activity level (and consequently my TDEE) to what I believe is more accurate is the right thing to do! AND thanks for your reassurance that in doing so I am not sabotaging all my efforts over the first four weeks of this reset. It has been HARD to go through and I never want to have to do a full 8 weeks ever again. I've changed my goal to 1936 starting today and will keep my activity level as above.

All the EM2WL moderators are WONDERFUL!!!:heart::flowerforyou:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I was eating at TDEE (or close to it.. there were a few days where I was 200-300 cals under TDEE) for about 2 weeks. I wasn't tracking at all for about a month before that, so I could have been close to TDEE and just not realized it..but it was also all bad food.

I've gained 4 lbs in 2 weeks eating at TDEE. I've gained 10 lbs since the beginning of May, so 6 of which were during the no-tracking period.. I gained 3 lbs over one weekend that didn't go away and 3 lbs over another weekend. I blink and I gain weight if I'm not watching every morsal of food that I eat. Add another 4 from eating at TDEE and I can't mentally handle it.

Running is HARD. My clothes don't fit, except for dresses. My face looks fat. How am I supposed to continue eating at TDEE when my weight just climbs? I cut my cals back to TDEE -15% today, but I'm not sure if that is the right answer. However, I feel like TDEE -15% is STILL too much food since I continue to gain weight.

How do you handle the mental aspect of it? I can tell myself all the good stuff about it, but at the end of the day, I'm still up 10 lbs and I feel fat. there's no other word to describe it..just fat.

The mental aspect is very hard, and it is basically the biggest thing standing in your way to succeeding on maintenance. If you came from a VLC diet prior to eating more, then your body thinks you are binging and therefore is hanging on to every last cal you give it, hence the gains.It cane take a lot longer than two weeks to have the scale level out at TDEE. That is why we recommend a 8 weeks reset. If you dont give your body consistency in your cals, then you are confusing it a lot more than helping it. You have to be patient, be consistent and give it time. We all want the weight to come off, and its frustrating as hell not to have it happen, but remember, you are doing this for life, not for a quick fix.. So yes, this beginning process is very frustrating, upsetting and causes weight gains. But keep in mind its not "true" gains.. you didnt eat 35000 extra cals a week, did you??

I suggest sticking with your TDEE and giving it a fair 8 week shot before cutting. Put the scale away and take your measurements. Work on getting your macros in, work on cutting out salt and processed foods, and jsut hang in there.. We are all in this together:)
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, still feeling kinda blah about the whole thing and I'm itching to start cutting. I am so ready to start seeing results. This is my second go at a metabolism reset, would it be horrible to cut it off at 6 weeks? How long are yall planning to stick this out?
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, still feeling kinda blah about the whole thing and I'm itching to start cutting. I am so ready to start seeing results. This is my second go at a metabolism reset, would it be horrible to cut it off at 6 weeks? How long are yall planning to stick this out?

I plan on sticking it out the full 8 weeks - make sure my body and mind gets a fair shot at a proper healing . I guess you could always ask yourself if you want to take the chance of having to do a third "go -'round" by cutting at 6 weeks? :tongue:

You can do this....I know I would LOVE to cut right now, but if I'm going to put myself through the not-so-fun deal of a reset, I'm going to do it completely so that I know for sure I didn't cut anything short. :smile:
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else miss the feeling of losing weight? What i mean is i started this journey nearly 6 years ago so for nearly 6 years its been all about losing (which I have been successful at)....now suddenly im at a place where im just hoping to keep my gains at a minimum...mentally its very weird for me cos it feels like im not "accomplishing" - i realise resetting my metabolism will help me long term and this is all about healing (altho that said dont know that my metabolism has really suffered) and its very hard to not want to a week into the reset just go to a cut so i can get back to working towards my ultimate goal
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I feel wonderful!! I really do.

NOT worrying about losing weight is the most liberating thing I've ever done.
    I am age 51 and have been worrying about losing weight since I was age 10. Every single thing in my life revolved around my diet, food and the scale.

While I still want my BODY to "be smaller in size and thus healthier", my MIND has had to heal too.

I'm getting there, I'm FINALLY getting there!!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    @kazzsjourney, It's odd to me not having to starve and feel like I need to exercise harder and longer. I don't miss it a bit. Knowing I can eat a substantial amount of food, and only lift 2-3 times a week makes me feel like I'm not on a diet, just a normal life....

@rosied915, you're absolutely right, it is liberating! Fix the mind/body split and you're 80% there!
  • mommamuscles
    Options

I plan on sticking it out the full 8 weeks - make sure my body and mind gets a fair shot at a proper healing . I guess you could always ask yourself if you want to take the chance of having to do a third "go -'round" by cutting at 6 weeks? :tongue:

You can do this....I know I would LOVE to cut right now, but if I'm going to put myself through the not-so-fun deal of a reset, I'm going to do it completely so that I know for sure I didn't cut anything short. :smile:

Thanks, I needed to hear that, I'm getting a lot of advice from people I consider fitness experts telling me otherwise. It's been very emotionally draining for me.
  • mommamuscles
    Options
    Does anyone else miss the feeling of losing weight? What i mean is i started this journey nearly 6 years ago so for nearly 6 years its been all about losing (which I have been successful at)....now suddenly im at a place where im just hoping to keep my gains at a minimum...mentally its very weird for me cos it feels like im not "accomplishing" - i realise resetting my metabolism will help me long term and this is all about healing (altho that said dont know that my metabolism has really suffered) and its very hard to not want to a week into the reset just go to a cut so i can get back to working towards my ultimate goal
    YES YES YES!!!!! I'm so ready to start seeing results again!!!!!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Okay I am glad what I am feeling is normal! LOL Im maintaining a gain of 2-3 pounds so far which I am guessing is doing okay. Did notice today my pants feel looser around the waist today...not sure if its my imagination or not...but I will go with that good feeling lol! :)
  • macnurseapril
    macnurseapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So I added up the weeks with my weight basically the same, plus the weeks of near/at TDEE and CUT IS NEXT WEEK!

I am so excited.

I cannot wait to get to the 250's (and some bigger guns!)
  • Shannonsto
    Shannonsto Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I've been EM2WL for 6 weeks now with no scale progress, and I've just about gotten myself mentally ready to do a full reset. I have a question, though. I have a BMF which shows a TDEE range from about 2400 on rest days to 2800 on lifting days. I've been using the average of 2533 as my TDEE and eating at a cut from that. So if I reset, could I just eat 2500-2550 every day, or would it be better to eat 2400 on rest days and 2850 on lifting days?
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say "hi" and marking where I have read up to. Hope everyone is doing well, nothing new to add for me, one week to go.
    I am starting to look at what I am eating, trying to figure out where I will be able to cut out 300ish calories next week. I don't want to get rid of anything :laugh:
    Got in a great leg workout yesterday. I am not as sore as I was last week, AND I upped about half of my weights from last week, so I am really happy with my progress!
    Catch you all later!

^^This is funny to me, because I've also been looking at my diary and where I can cut out 400 calories. The answer is simple for me: the dark chocolate-covered acai/pomegranate berries, the white chocolate chip/cranberry trail mix, and the cup of milk at the end of the day! I am addicted to the chocolate-covered berries and this is a perfect segue into shelving them for the time being. I just want to make healthier substitutions, and the sweet stuff can GO. For now.

My lifting has also improved due to the increased calories. I've been concentrating on building my muscle throughout this month, so by golly, when cut time happens, these muscles better BURN, baby!

I've got 1 week and 4 days to go. My cut begins on July 9th.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    @kazzsjourney, It's odd to me not having to starve and feel like I need to exercise harder and longer. I don't miss it a bit. Knowing I can eat a substantial amount of food, and only lift 2-3 times a week makes me feel like I'm not on a diet, just a normal life....

Me too!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES!!!!! I'm so ready to start seeing results again!!!!!

God yes! I have been ready ever since I got back on the weight loss path after my second was born.. then I was really looking forward to losses when I began running this Jan.. so to go 7 months now and have basically no results and working my butt off has been killing me. I am definitely ready for a cut!! its just not coming quick enough!