Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow marks the end of my first week of reset. Weight has been up and down about 3-5lbs gain-I've had some high sodium days so I'm ok with that! I'm near TOM so I'm also retaining a LOT of water...I feel really puffy right now. Is there anything I can do to help diminish that feeling other than drink water and watch my sodium?

Also does anyone feel a bit sick eating their TDEE? I eat 3 solid meals and lots of little snacks throughout the day. After I ate my lunch today I just felt SO full and kinda queasy. Not sure if this is a normal feeling?

Early in the reset I felt the same and decided to really decrease the amount of "filling" veggies I usually eat. I shifted to eating primarily high calorie, nutrient rich, but not bulky foods. That made all the difference in the world! Hang in there, as it really does get easier. In fact, many of us got much hungrier around week 3 even eating all our TDEE calories! Enjoy some foods you haven't allowed yourself in a while because of their higher calories!:drinker:

Glad to know I'm normal! I want to keep my veggie intake up but eating my normal amount definitely fills me to the point where I don't want a lot more. I usually have a salad with chicken or something in it and I'm good until my afternoon snack. Today I tossed a sweet potato on the side and could barely finish it all! I've definitely eaten things this week I rarely do, like a chicken sandwich and fries or a big club sandwich. But I try to keep my meals simple-what else can I toss in that's high calorie but not going to really "fill" me?
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Raynn- you are so right and that's kinda the place I'm at! They do stand behind what they're selling and they do it too, but I have accepted the fact I need to hang on and live with no regrets, I'm just like you, and I don't want to get my place of second guessing myself. I only have 2 weeks and a day or two to go...I can do this and so can you! Al that being said, I think I'm low on calories today so I'm gonna go get ice cream and enjoy every bite!!!! ;)
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Glad to know I'm normal! I want to keep my veggie intake up but eating my normal amount definitely fills me to the point where I don't want a lot more. I usually have a salad with chicken or something in it and I'm good until my afternoon snack. Today I tossed a sweet potato on the side and could barely finish it all! I've definitely eaten things this week I rarely do, like a chicken sandwich and fries or a big club sandwich. But I try to keep my meals simple-what else can I toss in that's high calorie but not going to really "fill" me?

Try nuts and avocados! Delicious and nutritious!

Week 7...eating more has become "normal" to me. Feeling less water retention! My hands were tight and sore every morning, I was plump and may face really rounded out. Felt and looked aweful. But I noticed a few days ago that my hands are ok now and the puffiness in my face has gone down. Still 10 lbs heavier than when I started EM2WL in March..but don't feel as "heavy".

I too can't wait to start losing weight (gulp....scared if I don't). I am fast approaching a dreadful number on the scale and to be so close again after so many years scares the crap out of me.

I can't wait to show my entourage that this works. That I'm not crazy...you CAN lose weight and eat normally :laugh:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to show my entourage that this works. That I'm not crazy...you CAN lose weight and eat normally :laugh:

Sooooo this! I cant wait to finally see things melt off and be able to shout "SEE!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!!:)"
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to post this up here for those of you who are not part of the Metabolism Reset group. I have really had my final, and I mean final diet epiphany because of this Metabolism Reset. I consider myself, Resetted!

Well I can happily say I am not eating a maintenance anymore. I am happily into my cut of 2173 cal per day.

If you`ve read any of these posts then you will know I had a little trouble finding my numbers for TDEE and cut. I finally decided to trust the LBM body weight simulator for them. (http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/) I chose 70kg for my goal weight and 300 days to do it in.
    I am easily getting in my 10,000 steps a day. I have also started a 15 min 3x a week strength training regimen.

Reset weeks 7 and 8 were all about getting myself in the right mindspace to start my cut.

In week 7 I started losing the weight gained in the first weeks of reset even eating at maintanence.

Week 8 I decided to start my cut because, I realized I was eating too much.

Now I am an active tall woman so I can eat a lot, but I can`t eat 2900 cal a day and lose. I really was not counting my calories right. I glossed over some vegetables and sometimes the extra sugar in a stir fry sauce or a little oil. That maybe gave me an extra 2-300 cal per day. I also realized my pedometer probably gives me an extra 200 cal in burn a day. I don`t know why.

Now a week into the cut the bloat has left the body.

weight 85kg ( down from a week 5 high of 87)
    measurements are the same as day one of reset. My measurements didn`t change too much from week to week. But my clothes fit so differently! Everything was tight for a while. Now my weight is still up but my clothes are starting to fit better.

The reset made me realize that I don`t stick with anything long enough to be successful on my diet. I wasn`t accountable enough to myself on calories. I always wondered why I gained weight while counting calories.

I am now getting used to eating lighter and skipping the mayo or cutting the bread in half. It hasn`t been so hard to stay at or a little above my cut value.
    And dieting is not a stress anymore, I was so freaked out by relentless trying and failing I was making myself a basket case. I know it will be a month or so before I reach that pre reset weight. I am o.k. with that I know it`s coming, and I know I`m doing the right thing. I also know that the fluctuations on the scale are not at all indicative of how I have eaten. That water weight comes and goes with the moon!

Thanks reset, and other resetting pals. Now I know me. I know if I make a few little changes, I will be at a healthy weight. In less than a year, I will never struggle again.

This has given me more peace of mind than anything. I needed that.
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I feel wonderful!! I really do.

NOT worrying about losing weight is the most liberating thing I've ever done.
    I am age 51 and have been worrying about losing weight since I was age 10. Every single thing in my life revolved around my diet, food and the scale.

While I still want my BODY to "be smaller in size and thus healthier", my MIND has had to heal too.

I'm getting there, I'm FINALLY getting there!!

This is how I feel too! I feel like I finally have a brain again for something besides berating myself and thinking about food and when I can eat it. It`s like I am a different person!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to post this up here for those of you who are not part of the Metabolism Reset group. I have really had my final, and I mean final diet epiphany because of this Metabolism Reset. I consider myself, Resetted!

Well I can happily say I am not eating a maintenance anymore. I am happily into my cut of 2173 cal per day.

If you`ve read any of these posts then you will know I had a little trouble finding my numbers for TDEE and cut. I finally decided to trust the LBM body weight simulator for them. (http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/) I chose 70kg for my goal weight and 300 days to do it in.
    I am easily getting in my 10,000 steps a day. I have also started a 15 min 3x a week strength training regimen.

Reset weeks 7 and 8 were all about getting myself in the right mindspace to start my cut.

In week 7 I started losing the weight gained in the first weeks of reset even eating at maintanence.

Now I am an active tall woman so I can eat a lot, but I can`t eat 2900 cal a day and lose. I really was not counting my calories right. I glossed over some vegetables and sometimes the extra sugar in a stir fry sauce or a little oil. That maybe gave me an extra 2-300 cal per day. I also realized my pedometer probably gives me an extra 200 cal in burn a day. I don`t know why.

measurements are the same as day one of reset. My measurements didn`t change too much from week to week. But my clothes fit so differently! Everything was tight for a while. Now my weight is still up but my clothes are starting to fit better.

The reset made me realize that I don`t stick with anything long enough to be successful on my diet. I wasn`t accountable enough to myself on calories. I always wondered why I gained weight while counting calories.

I am now getting used to eating lighter and skipping the mayo or cutting the bread in half. It hasn`t been so hard to stay at or a little above my cut value.
    And dieting is not a stress anymore, I was so freaked out by relentless trying and failing I was making myself a basket case. I know it will be a month or so before I reach that pre reset weight. I am o.k. with that I know it`s coming, and I know I`m doing the right thing. I also know that the fluctuations on the scale are not at all indicative of how I have eaten. That water weight comes and goes with the moon!

Thanks reset, and other resetting pals. Now I know me. I know if I make a few little changes, I will be at a healthy weight. In less than a year, I will never struggle again.

Way to go! Wihing you all the best. You will see, the weight will just melt of now
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I feel wonderful!! I really do.

NOT worrying about losing weight is the most liberating thing I've ever done.
    I am age 51 and have been worrying about losing weight since I was age 10. Every single thing in my life revolved around my diet, food and the scale.

While I still want my BODY to "be smaller in size and thus healthier", my MIND has had to heal too.

I'm getting there, I'm FINALLY getting there!!

This is how I feel too! I feel like I finally have a brain again for something besides berating myself and thinking about food and when I can eat it. It`s like I am a different person!

First of all:heart: , cuz you get it!!

Thanks so much for your Reset story~ it is inspiring and well written. It really IS about Resetting your Brain as well as your Body, isn't it?

Really, really happy for you Jess!:flowerforyou:
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options

It sounds like you're in a really great place mentally. That's awesome!

I ran that software. Hmmm...it tells me to eat 300 calories more than what I'm eating now for maintenance. It'll be interesting to see if I end up close to that as my TDEE. I have recently upped by 100 calories due to a slight downward trend during maintenance. If that trend continues I may have to up again and extend my reset (please God no to that last part). But it also figures activity a bit differently than some of the other sites, so that could be where the discrepancy comes in. Hmmm...it's interesting though. I like charts and graphs!
  • mommamuscles
    Options
    Jess: Thank you for sharing that! I think that is exactly what all of us are after, to find that balance in our lives....and hopefully to see results too!
    I'm glad I committed to sticking this out. 2 more Weeks! I hopped on the scale this morning and my weight us exactly the same as it was on day one. I think my body is, starting to figure this out.
    Have a great day you all!
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options

It sounds like you're in a really great place mentally. That's awesome!

I ran that software. Hmmm...it tells me to eat 300 calories more than what I'm eating now for maintenance. It'll be interesting to see if I end up close to that as my TDEE. I have recently upped by 100 calories due to a slight downward trend during maintenance. If that trend continues I may have to up again and extend my reset (please God no to that last part). But it also figures activity a bit differently than some of the other sites, so that could be where the discrepancy comes in. Hmmm...it's interesting though. I like charts and graphs!

Interesting site. I ran my numbers and comparing my fitbit results for this week and their estimates for what my activity level has been this week it was pretty close to the same numbers. I'm glad I changed the length of time from the default 180 days - it put me at a intake goal of less than 1200 calories - EEEEK - not going there again! When I moved it out to 360 days it was a much more sustainable 1500-ish calories when is what my TDEE - 15% is.
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Thanks so much for your post! I'm learning the same things on this journey. I think we all are. It's a completely different way of thinking and it's SO liberating. It takes away the terrible and constant feeling of always striving SO BLOODY HARD to lose weight. This has given me an amazing and refreshing outlook. LOVE EM2WL and the reset process (I never thought I would say that!). ;-)

Kiki and Lucia, you guys are helping so many people change their lives! You're the best!:heart:
  • annasgyal
    annasgyal Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options
    I am all in! I have been sort of a "peeker" for a while, and while I am confused. I wills ay that I am definately in some sort of metabolism reset. I will say it is not the healthiest foods, but I have been eating at my TDEE, but the only thing I have not been doing is exercising. I will start exercising, and continue to do the reset full force in my second week. I do however have a few questions, and please excuse me if such questions have been answered before. I will start off by providing my stats, and then the questions, any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Current Weight: 227.2 (prior to one week binge/reset I was 219.8)
    Goal Weight:155-160

Started "Dieting" September 2011
    Reset/Binge Started: June 20th

According to the link provided for calculating BMR and TDEE

My BMR is 1792
    My TDEE is 2778

I can assure you that I am eating 2778, but like I mentioned not in the healthiest of ways, and no exercise. I can sumise that I will need to exercise because my TDEE includes exercise.

So here are my questions.

1. Am I to eat at m TDEE for the full 8 weeks?

2. I should expect to gain weight right?

3. Does it matter what kind of exercise is done?

4. After the 8 weeks, what is the calorie goal I should follow?

I really think this is what my body needs, because I have tried just about every unrealistic diet out there to lose weight. And I get so frustrated with myself because I really want to lose the weight, but in the healthiest way, but enjoyable way as possible. I know this group is right for me, because for so long I have thought that the "less i eat, the less I weigh". If anyone can add any additional information to help me would be greatly appreciated.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else miss the feeling of losing weight? What i mean is i started this journey nearly 6 years ago so for nearly 6 years its been all about losing (which I have been successful at)....now suddenly im at a place where im just hoping to keep my gains at a minimum...mentally its very weird for me cos it feels like im not "accomplishing" - i realise resetting my metabolism will help me long term and this is all about healing (altho that said dont know that my metabolism has really suffered) and its very hard to not want to a week into the reset just go to a cut so i can get back to working towards my ultimate goal

Well....yes. But for the past two years I have been basically stuck. Anytime I did lose, I always gained it right back. I am just ready for something to actually work!

I really like the idea of letting go and not trying to lose weight, but I have been feeling so gross lately that I am getting anxious to cut and eat less. I need this to work!
  • opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else miss the feeling of losing weight? What i mean is i started this journey nearly 6 years ago so for nearly 6 years its been all about losing (which I have been successful at)....now suddenly im at a place where im just hoping to keep my gains at a minimum...mentally its very weird for me cos it feels like im not "accomplishing" - i realise resetting my metabolism will help me long term and this is all about healing (altho that said dont know that my metabolism has really suffered) and its very hard to not want to a week into the reset just go to a cut so i can get back to working towards my ultimate goal

Well....yes. But for the past two years I have been basically stuck. Anytime I did lose, I always gained it right back. I am just ready for something to actually work!

I really like the idea of letting go and not trying to lose weight, but I have been feeling so gross lately that I am getting anxious to cut and eat less. I need this to work!

I feel the same way. I'm at the end of week 4 of my reset and am feeling really FAT! I've gained 4.2 lbs since the beginning and I'm starting to get anxious and wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I committed to 8 weeks but if I gain another 4 lbs, I'm going to cry. I wasn't going to weigh at all but I can't seem to stay away from the dumb scale. My clothes are fitting tighter and I'm starting to see those love handles again that I worked so hard to get rid of. Sigh :frown: Just feeling like I'm going backwards. Sorry for the vent.

Opal
  • gypsybug
    gypsybug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Jumping into the reset group today!!

I joined this group back in March. At the time I was eating around 1400 calories a day. When I had joined there wasn't a lot of talk about the reset, mostly just figuring out your numbers and eating at a 15% cut from your TDEE.

I did all my calculations, used my BodyMediaFit to double check them and jumped in thinking AT LAST! I have FOUND THE WAY!.

11 WEEKS LATER! I gained and lost what I gained, I stabilized then gained again. Now I'm once again stable. Clearly I had been wrong. My body did not respond to a smaller cut, it simply adjusted. SO, now that I feel I wasted 11 friggin weeks....here I go.

I'm going to start with the mini reset....4 weeks. I've been within 200 calories of my TDEE for most of my cut...I was only going for about 10%. I'm hopeful that since I was really quite close my body will adjust to the slight increase quickly.

After 4 weeks I'll assess it. If I don't stabilize I'll continue with the next four weeks for a full 8 week reset. If I stabilize pretty quickly, then after 4 weeks I'll do a proper 15% cut then start cycling in periodic TDEE weeks.

Can someone give me a hand getting on the bandwagon? :D
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need to do this.... I just don't know if I'm ready for it.

I have been eating at TDEE less 25% for 8 weeks and lost about 6 pounds. I was shooting for 10 pounds.
    My weight has been a yo-yo for the past 4 years. It's really frustrating.
  • mommamuscles
    Options
    I am all in! I have been sort of a "peeker" for a while, and while I am confused. I wills ay that I am definately in some sort of metabolism reset. I will say it is not the healthiest foods, but I have been eating at my TDEE, but the only thing I have not been doing is exercising. I will start exercising, and continue to do the reset full force in my second week. I do however have a few questions, and please excuse me if such questions have been answered before. I will start off by providing my stats, and then the questions, any answers would be greatly appreciated.

My BMR is 1792
    My TDEE is 2778

I can assure you that I am eating 2778, but like I mentioned not in the healthiest of ways, and no exercise. I can sumise that I will need to exercise because my TDEE includes exercise.

I really think this is what my body needs, because I have tried just about every unrealistic diet out there to lose weight. And I get so frustrated with myself because I really want to lose the weight, but in the healthiest way, but enjoyable way as possible. I know this group is right for me, because for so long I have thought that the "less i eat, the less I weigh". If anyone can add any additional information to help me would be greatly appreciated.

Hello!
    1. Yep, you eat your TDEE for 8 weeks. You can either jump right in or ease in more slowly.
    2. Some people experience weight gain and others just kind of maintain. Towards the end of your reset, your weight should start trending down if you have truly found your maintenance. Depending on the extent and severity of your dieting history, it may take more or less than 8 weeks, but 8 weeks is kind of the generic recommendation. There are people doing it for shorter periods of time, alot of that depends on you! I think the extreme examples of weight gain can often be attributed to a history of very severe VLCD, or a lack of consistency. Also, I firmly believe that eating about 80/20 clean is very important. Its not that you cant enjoy an occasional treat, but the majority of your diet should consist of unprocessed, wholesome foods!
    3. Any of kind of exercise is "allowed"; however, I think if you incorporate some heavy lifting into your routine (New Rules of Lifting style or something similar) you will find that those extra calories are being put to good use in building muscle,and any weight gain will be very minimal (mostly muscle/water, very little fat).
    4. After 8 weeks, then you should begin by cutting 10% off your TDEE and you should begin losing. If not, you can cut another 5% off that (for a total cut of 15%). The only other thing to remember is that every 6-8 weeks, you should plan on taking a diet break where you will eat at TDEE.
    Hope that answers your questions. This is kind of a rollercoaster experience for so many of us, hope that doesnt scare you away, but it is so worth it!!! Look forward to hearing about your experience with it!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I wanted to repost this response from Kiki regarding 'how to know if you've reset long enough'. It's probably one of the most concise, practical answers that should answer a lot of your questions/concerns on how long to reset!! (it even cleared up some for me! lol).

(so that being all said, feel free to sport the RESET SURVIVOR PIN if you do AT LEAST 4-6 weeks...I previously thought 8 was a minimum)

Kiki: 4-6 weeks is minimum, 8-12 is even better. I did take 3+ months, because most research that I'd done showed that it could take up 6 months, and I didn't wanna chance it, & quit early. It's personal, which is why there is no definite time given. The whole point of the reset is for the individual to get in touch with their own body and understand it better. Most people will rush the process, which is fine, because, they feel overly bloated and full (& again, it's personal) The only thing to consider with that is that there is a high probability that if you're still feeling stuffed, you haven't fully reset. So as far as signs to look for, that was mine. When I went to cut, I had completely "plateaued." Meaning, I was no longer gaining and did not feel overly stuffed. I didn't have any more bloating, & was completely comfortable eating that amount of food. When people are feeling "relieved" at the thought of cutting, because they are looking forward to less food, it's kind of a red flag for me, that things aren't *completely* fixed. But, at the very least, they've eaten at higher cals long enough to give the metabolism a little boost, & if they take diet breaks every 6-10 wks, it can typically still work out fine.
  • annasgyal
    annasgyal Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options

My BMR is 1792
    My TDEE is 2778

Hello!
    1. Yep, you eat your TDEE for 8 weeks. You can either jump right in or ease in more slowly.
    2. Some people experience weight gain and others just kind of maintain. Towards the end of your reset, your weight should start trending down if you have truly found your maintenance. Depending on the extent and severity of your dieting history, it may take more or less than 8 weeks, but 8 weeks is kind of the generic recommendation. There are people doing it for shorter periods of time, alot of that depends on you! I think the extreme examples of weight gain can often be attributed to a history of very severe VLCD, or a lack of consistency. Also, I firmly believe that eating about 80/20 clean is very important. Its not that you cant enjoy an occasional treat, but the majority of your diet should consist of unprocessed, wholesome foods!
    3. Any of kind of exercise is "allowed"; however, I think if you incorporate some heavy lifting into your routine (New Rules of Lifting style or something similar) you will find that those extra calories are being put to good use in building muscle,and any weight gain will be very minimal (mostly muscle/water, very little fat).
    4. After 8 weeks, then you should begin by cutting 10% off your TDEE and you should begin losing. If not, you can cut another 5% off that (for a total cut of 15%). The only other thing to remember is that every 6-8 weeks, you should plan on taking a diet break where you will eat at TDEE.
    Hope that answers your questions. This is kind of a rollercoaster experience for so many of us, hope that doesnt scare you away, but it is so worth it!!! Look forward to hearing about your experience with it!

Thank you for the information! It makes so much sense. What I will do is starting monday, proceed into my third week.

As for lifting, AI do not have access to a gym, so I actually ordered and been doing "Les Mills Pump" at home workout with weights. Not sure if that constitutes as strength training, but the highest weight I can do with Body Pump is 30 weights. I normally do anywhere from 10 pounds-20 pounds. I have yet to do the 30, but I think I should start. I am going to go for a 4 week mini and then access from there. I have gained weight, but I know for certain that not all of it is "true" weight gain. I still struggle at times with "clean" eating, and will say prior to my week long binge, I was about 60/40 of clean eating. Need to work on eating clean, but actually eating clean food that tastes good. Again, thank you for the information, and I am actually excited to be finally doing somehing that I know can realistically maintain for the rest of my life.