Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Bolognese Papparedelle and minestrone! :blushing:
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I want those pavlovas now!!! This is my baking weekend. Think I can fit them in with all of the cakes??
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    9850fca9.jpg

Cause everyone needs a little LOVES in the morning!

Strawberry Muffins by Whole Living....
  • pixlamarque
    Options
    [img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2012-05-06_17-32-28_603.jpg[/img]

Sausage Ragu over Creamy Polenta (Cooking Light). The ragu was good and the polenta was good, but I wasn't a fan of pairing them together. It lacked texture. I would do the ragu with pasta and the polenta with something like grilled/blackened shrimp.

[img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2012-05-07_19-39-13_817.jpg[/img]

Shrimp Stuffed Shells (Cooking Light). These were surprisingly good. I was worried about shrimp + cheese + red sauce. Even the sweetie liked it. Serving size was 4 shells, which sounded awfully small to me when I read the recipe, but once I made them, I found that two or three shells was plenty for me, especially with a salad. Sorry for the crappy, blurry photo.

[img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2012-05-17_10-10-54_182.jpg[/img]

Abby's (my co-worker's daughter) 5th birthday cake in progress. White cake with strawberry Swiss meringue buttercream. This was just the filling and crumb coat stage. It all got covered with fondant. The top tier came out so cute, but the bottom is still giving me fits. I'll post a pic of the completed cake next week. I'm not putting the pieces together until the party tomorrow. This is an amazing white cake recipe, though. I've never liked white cake (too dry/bland), but this one is moist and really tasty. I made minor changes to the Vanilla Cake recipe from Confetti Cakes. It'll make it to the blog one day soon with the buttercream.
  • pixlamarque
    Options
    [img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2012-05-19_16-53-08_391.jpg[/img]

Abby's cake, all done! Thank goodness. It made me a nervous wreck. It's only my second fondant cake. I'm just so happy it's over!
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Pix - That cake looks incredible! I'm sure it tastes at least as good as it looks! Yum! And the stuffed shells... can't wait to make some! I've got an allrecipes.com recipe that I love for the filling.

LOVES those strawberry muffins! They're adorable! :)
  • pixlamarque
    Options
    Ok, I know a lot of you will find the calories high on this, but you can use chicken breast or shrimp instead of thighs or omit the meat entirely. This to me is not a terrible calorie count for dinner and I find that only 3 shells is actually enough for me, so I usually get a few less calories and throw in a salad. You can play with the seasonings, but this is the mix we liked. We used Newman's Own Marinara.

Chicken and Spinach Stuffed Shells
    Serves 6, serving is 4 shells with 1/3 C. sauce
    Calories: 462

Cooking spray
    2 C. marinara, divided
    1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cooked and chopped
    1 C. part skim ricotta cheese
    1 1/2 C. plain 2% Greek yogurt
    1/2 C. shredded Parmesan cheese
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    2 Tbsp. Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    5 ounces fresh baby spinach, chopped small
    1 large egg yolk
    24 cooked jumbo pasta shells, drained

Spray a 13 x 9 pan with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 C. of marinara over the bottom of the pan. Mix the filling ingredients (chicken through egg yolk) in a bowl. Fill each shell with filling and place in pan (about 2 Tbsp per shell). Pour remaining marinara over the top and spread it around. Cover the pan with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!! PIX.....YOU are like the BOMB diggity! You are waaaaaaay to modest! You should be getting paid making cakes! That is gorgeous!
    I can't wait to make the ragu. I will take your advice too.
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    LOVE IT! The cake is beautiful! I've made the Ragu before and I agree with you...

I haven't posted anything in awhile but here was tonight's dinner & dessert

242d5f32.jpg

Italian Burger from Food Network magazine....

b54ca642.jpg

And a blurry "Steak and Fries" dessert... Also Food Network Magazine
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    Gorgeous as always, Loves! The dessert is super-cute! :)
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    65982668.jpg

This was an amazing burger by Clean Eating....

Mushroom-Garlic Bison Burger with Poached Egg and Sweet Potato Fries!
  • pixlamarque
    Options
    We made those bison burgers from Clean Eating, only without the egg. Personally, I liked them and would make them again and add a bunch of seasoning, but the sweetie didn't like them. I love bison.
  • pixlamarque
    Options
    [img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2012-06-06_18-26-18_999.jpg[/img]

Root Beer Can Chicken from Cooking Light. This is supposed to be made on the grill, which I think would be amazing, but I had to make it in the oven due to rain and the little man running around. I did make changes. I added some smoked paprika and doubled the spice rub mixture (it was super good--plan to make a good bit of it up and use it on other meats for grilling this summer). The root beer part was good, but you really didn't taste root beer flavor, just sweet. I think this would work equally well with Coke or Dr. Pepper. I plan to try it again with some of the sweetie's all natural cola (cane sugar) or with some of the Zevia Ginger Root Beer. Ginger would be a good addition to these flavors.

[img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2012-06-06_19-17-36_332.jpg[/img]

I finally got around to making the same pavlova that Angel made. It is a Nigella Lawson recipe. She is my total girl crush. I drool over her cookbooks. For some reason I don't seem to like her as much on tv as in books, but her Lemon Meringue Cake is responsible for at least 20 of the pounds I still need to lose. This was really good. I cut back the sugar by 1/4 cup and it could stand to be cut a little more, easily. Instead of the heavy cream, I cheated on my clean eating and used lite Cool Whip (due to laziness and lack of calories). I don't think the taste suffered for it. I used raspberries and blackberries. The raspberries are prettier but the blackberries tasted much better and went great with the chocolate. I love the little bits of chopped chocolate that get mixed into the pavlova that give little bursts of chocolatiness, if that is a word. This is most definitely a make again recipe. Oh, and I cut the pavlova first and then added the cream and berries because it is just the two of us (and mine was huge--10 servings easy) and that way I can freeze the leftover pavlova if we take too long eating it.
  • Malissas
    Malissas Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I have no photos to add. PC and phone issues atm :(
    Pix, the kids ate all the pizza pockets before I got a change to take a pic! I'll make them again though.

All super yum food pics. Do you have a recipe or a link for the root beer chicken? I don't think we can get root beer over here so I will sub with ginger beer.

I'm also looking forward to trying sweet potato chips/fries. Hopefully the kids will like them too!
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    That pavlova is definitely party worthy... Best dessert ever and the presentation is beautiful... I think I will try it with the blackberries too for the 4th of July! I also used Lite Cool Whip for the calorie sake and didn't feel ripped off one bit!
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Life sometimes seems to take all of your time...I have not posted as normal...I love all kinds of salads during summer so this is one of my favorites...sometimes I add corn...yum.
    The chicken I roasted with a marinade I now forgot where I got it from! It was either online or one of my cookbooks but easy...parsley, lemon rind, EVOO and GARLIC!!! put under skin! SOOOOOOO good!

8bf83bd5484a__1340562458000.jpg

3e95d0a8493c__1340073484000.jpg
  • LaundryJo
    LaundryJo Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm having red snapper with roasted cauliflower and broccoli - yum. No starch tonight, i don't deserve it!
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    fa40c877.jpg

Haven't posted in awhile.... Been making repeat meals alot lately...

This was really simple and really good!
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    WW - that salad looks divine! The chicken too (hooray for GARILIC!!!)
    Loves - is that a parsnip I see in your roasted veggie medley? I love roasted parsnips!
  • pixlamarque
    Options
    [img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2012-07-02_07-23-49_211.jpg[/img]

Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash. Super YUM, way better than the photo looks. Sweet potatoes, yellow onion, lean turkey breakfast sausage, salt, pepper, fresh nutmeg, and maple syrup. Not a lot of volume, but tastes great and you could add an egg and still have reasonable numbers. I struggle with breakfast and this was such a refreshing change. I made a batch Sunday afternoon, divided it by 4 containers, put Monday and Tues in the fridge and Wednesday and Thurs in the freezer. I see me making lots of this in the future. It would be so easy to beat an egg with a fork and pour it over the hash before microwaving to have a super fast, super protein breakfast. This was a Cooking Light recipe, but I added more sausage than they called for and adjusted the calories. It was meant as a breakfast side dish for a brunch, but I am eating it alone so I wanted a bit more calories.

[img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2012-06-30_19-45-41_41.jpg[/img]

Pesto and Mozzarella Stuffed Pork Chops from Eating Well that I made last week. The only thing I changed was to use whole wheat flour for dredging to make it clean. These were delish and I don't even usually like pesto. It went really well with the mozzarella. I would advise only making enough for one night, though. The pork always gets too overcooked when you re-warm it the next day. Here's a view that shows the filling better:
    [img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2012-06-30_19-45-52_427.jpg[/img]