Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have been reading and will KEEP reading, but my first question is I think my TDEE based on the scooby link is 2084 (im 4'11) I think Im very active, but if I lose...IF I lose during the first week at 2k+ then I need to raise the calories, right? basically meaning I underestimated when filling out the info.

PS I feel like an idiot LOL

and damn, 2100 calories is a dreamy thought!
    If you calculated it correct, then yes eat your TDEE. If you are losing you are too low.

Thanks and Im in
    Start 7/13/12
    I weighed in this morning jus tbecause Im starting something new 135.1
    ...and doing it because I love food and couldnt ever stick to low calories, it felt weird, I felt OFF for too long, cant seem to get down under 130, and I used to eat like a guy and looked outstanding (Marines) so why cant I again...
    TDEE ~2100, might be under estimating but thats what I'll go with right now because of money and feeding 7 other people the cost is going to be the hard part. Thanks for this thread its been educational, and Im sure it will continue to be so.
    Denise
    You will see, it works. It might take a bit of time, cause this way is not a quick fix. But it does work, and you will be able to enjoy your food :) If you need help, just let us know
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I don't know what I am more excited about, week 8 starting tomorrow or that its a full rest week!
  • MeganKate24
    MeganKate24 Posts: 110
    Options
    Guys, should I start this on -15% TDEE or on my maintenance calories? - Trying to work out what step to take.

Also, is it OK to go straight into it, or am I meant to build up?

Thanks
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hello to all and warm, fuzzy HUGS to all of you feeling down!!!:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:

I know I am puffy too but I am NOT getting on that freakin' scale any time soon~ no need to totally deflate my spirit!!:angry:

So~ on the upside of things~ in the NROLFW land~ I "pulled" 90 pounds rowing and 80 pounds on the lat pulldown. I was so freakin BADASS pulling those 90 pounds and a couple of youngins were checkin' me out~ well the machine and how high my weights were, that is!!:laugh:

I am SO, SO MUCH stronger~ whether it's the Reset or the NROL or BOTH, I don't know, but I'm going to keep going with it!!:drinker:
  • Noor13
    Options
    Hello to all and warm, fuzzy HUGS to all of you feeling down!!!:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:

I know I am puffy too but I am NOT getting on that freakin' scale any time soon~ no need to totally deflate my spirit!!:angry:

So~ on the upside of things~ in the NROLFW land~ I "pulled" 90 pounds rowing and 80 pounds on the lat pulldown. I was so freakin BADASS pulling those 90 pounds and a couple of youngins were checkin' me out~ well the machine and how high my weights were, that is!!:laugh:

I am SO, SO MUCH stronger~ whether it's the Reset or the NROL or BOTH, I don't know, but I'm going to keep going with it!!:drinker:
    Way to go Rosie! That's an awesome NSV! Keep up the great work. I tried to stay away from the scale, but somehow I can't lol. But I am ok with it-it's all going to work out fine :)
  • Noor13
    Options
    Guys, should I start this on -15% TDEE or on my maintenance calories? - Trying to work out what step to take.

Thanks
    Hi and welcome-I replied on the other thread already-just go straight to your cut, since you have not been on low cals
  • MeganKate24
    MeganKate24 Posts: 110
    Options

Thanks
    Hi and welcome-I replied on the other thread already-just go straight to your cut, since you have not been on low cals

Thankyou, just seen :) Sorry - I'm so eager to start this and wasn't sure what posts people paid most attention too etc. No more cross posts from me now, promise! :)
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    not having a good few weeks. Ive had an ear infection which means i couldnt exercise until i started running again yesterday. I was doing insanity prior to that and hope to get back to it. I've been averaging 1800-1900 and the scale isnt really moving. very frustrating and i feel so bloated. currently 136lbs and have been for the past 3 months! increased my calories end of may. Tell me it gets better? I am not keen to go back to low calories so am going to stick this out. Just need to know it will get better
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options
    I have been reading and will KEEP reading, but my first question is I think my TDEE based on the scooby link is 2084 (im 4'11) I think Im very active, but if I lose...IF I lose during the first week at 2k+ then I need to raise the calories, right? basically meaning I underestimated when filling out the info.

PS I feel like an idiot LOL

and damn, 2100 calories is a dreamy thought!
    If you calculated it correct, then yes eat your TDEE. If you are losing you are too low.

Thanks and Im in
    Start 7/13/12
    I weighed in this morning jus tbecause Im starting something new 135.1
    ...and doing it because I love food and couldnt ever stick to low calories, it felt weird, I felt OFF for too long, cant seem to get down under 130, and I used to eat like a guy and looked outstanding (Marines) so why cant I again...
    TDEE ~2100, might be under estimating but thats what I'll go with right now because of money and feeding 7 other people the cost is going to be the hard part. Thanks for this thread its been educational, and Im sure it will continue to be so.
    Denise
    You will see, it works. It might take a bit of time, cause this way is not a quick fix. But it does work, and you will be able to enjoy your food :) If you need help, just let us know

Thanks, I already felt beter today after runnign this morning and a crap load of intense yard work (digging) and I dont feel like I am gong to die and that I need to laly down and take a nap, just because I am eaintg (whoot) I wasnt very good with low cal to begin with so I dont know how long I will eat at TDEE, definatly 4 weeks and listen to my body. I dont mind the fact that I will be eating tho. I love good food. ;) I have been so torn watching friends on here eat 1200 calories, and then trying it myself. Ah! I am excited :D
  • curiousheathy
    Options
    Alright, here is my update.

I am on week 8 of the reset. Last week!

Start weight: 133 lb
    Current weight: 140 lb :sad:
    Gain: 8 lb
    TDEE: 2280 (moderate since I work out 3-5 hours a week)

It started out great, eating at TDEE was easy. I filled up on good, clean foods. However, around week 6, I began feeling sluggish. When I say sluggish, I mean hard to get out of bed sluggish. I felt tired all the time. I started using rest days, but even after the fact I felt exhausted.

I know people have said they felt these symptoms too. Do these go away AFTER you begin the cut? Or does this mean I should stay with the reset longer???

Physical changes, it looks like my tummy got a bit bigger. My guess is water weight (and my TOM is around the corner). Clothes fit about the same. I haven't gotten out the tape measure yet. I will do that next week with the official start and end measurements of my reset.

Anyways, does anyone have and suggestion? With the weight gain and sluggishness, I'm starting to feel deflated and defeated. I use to be able to workout 5-6 days a week for AT LEAST 45 minutes. Now I struggle to do 30 minutes 4-5 days. :(
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Good job Rosie!! Im loving NROL! started stage 3 this week.. definitely getting more intense!!:)
  • Raynn1
    Options

It started out great, eating at TDEE was easy. I filled up on good, clean foods. However, around week 6, I began feeling sluggish. When I say sluggish, I mean hard to get out of bed sluggish. I felt tired all the time. I started using rest days, but even after the fact I felt exhausted.

I know people have said they felt these symptoms too. Do these go away AFTER you begin the cut? Or does this mean I should stay with the reset longer???

Physical changes, it looks like my tummy got a bit bigger. My guess is water weight (and my TOM is around the corner). Clothes fit about the same. I haven't gotten out the tape measure yet. I will do that next week with the official start and end measurements of my reset.

Anyways, does anyone have and suggestion? With the weight gain and sluggishness, I'm starting to feel deflated and defeated. I use to be able to workout 5-6 days a week for AT LEAST 45 minutes. Now I struggle to do 30 minutes 4-5 days. :(

I think it really depends. I think *most* of us though hit the wall at 6 weeks, had the tiredness and fatigue, but it went away within a week or so.
    Take a look at other factors in your life.. Is it hot out? Are you working more? Are you eating the right foods, or is more of the junky stuff getting back in? Is TOM coming?

Not sure what else to tell you on that...
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Hi , all.

I am new and seriously thinking about this. Since April, I have lifted weights and have not dropped weight. During the first 8 weeks I ate around 1600-1800 calories (average) and gained 6 pounds. Then I dropped cals to 1400ish and still now weight loss.

Can someone please point me in the direction of the thread where this is explained so I know where to begin? Thanks.
  • immywolf
    immywolf Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi everyone! So I've decided to join the forum. I will update once every 1-2 weeks. :)

BMR: 1418
    TDEE: 2200
    Weight at beginning of reset: 121
    Current weight: 122
    Goal reset length: 8 weeks

I am at the end of week 2 of my reset. In the first week I gained 2-3lbs but that disappeared right after TOM. I weighed myself today after a week of staying away from the scale and I have gained another pound. I'm not particularly worried, because that's what's supposed to happen, right? I just have to keep reminding myself that when I start my cut I'll lose it again within a few weeks... and then keep losing till I hit my goal :)
    Some days I look at myself in the mirror and I love what I see. But then there are other days.... and I just feel like crying. Fortunately, today is a good day. Mainly because over the last week I've caught up with a bunch of old friends I haven't seen for a few months, and I've had several comments on how slim I'm looking!! :)
    In terms of food, I am really enjoying eating so much- except for the fact that by the end of the day after dinner my stomach has expanded at least 3 inches from its normal size. However, when I wake up in the morning, it's deflated and nice and skinny again. Is this normal?? Does everyone else's stomachs expand so much after eating? It's quite annoying... makes my favorite jeans too tight :/
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Hi , all.

I am new and seriously thinking about this. Since April, I have lifted weights and have not dropped weight. During the first 8 weeks I ate around 1600-1800 calories (average) and gained 6 pounds. Then I dropped cals to 1400ish and still now weight loss.

Can someone please point me in the direction of the thread where this is explained so I know where to begin? Thanks.

HI there.
    Resetting means eating at your TDEE mark for a period of time. This varies depending on the person, whether they came from a low cal diet prior, and how you feel. For most of us, we came from eating at VLC levels, so have chosen to do a 8 week reset. Some people who just need a bit of time to adjust their metabolism and did not come from VLC diets tend to go for about 4-6 weeks.
    Basically a reset is giving your body the fuel it needs and to show it that you are no longer going to starve it and wil eat "proper" amounts now. It can take a while for your body to adjust and understand this is your new way of life, so a minimum of 4 weeks is required, but as much as 12 weeks is recommended.

During this time, you concentrate on eating your TDEE with the good foods, learning to hit your 40/30/30 macros for carbs/fibre/protein. Give yourself a chance to breathe again and "forget" about the scale for a little while.

There are some things that can and will likely happen during a reset. You will feel bloated, gain a few pounds back, sometimes inches,sometimes feel like this cant possibly be the right way to do things, angry, upset... you name it, you will probably go through it:).. But the goal of this is the reset our metabolisms so when we finally make the cut to a slightly lower calorie intake to lose the weight, the weight WILL come off and come off eating more than we ever did before. There are some great blog articles on the EMTLW website which you can find here: http://eatmore2weighless.com/blog/

Hope this helps you get started at least. We are here for any other questions you have:)
    In terms of food, I am really enjoying eating so much- except for the fact that by the end of the day after dinner my stomach has expanded at least 3 inches from its normal size. However, when I wake up in the morning, it's deflated and nice and skinny again. Is this normal?? Does everyone else's stomachs expand so much after eating? It's quite annoying... makes my favorite jeans too tight :/

Normal:) Thats bloat and over time it will vanish.. depending on what you eat bloat can stick around for a while, sodium is a huge factor so watch your salt intake.. drink water, stay hydrated:)
  • curiousheathy
    Options

I think it really depends. I think *most* of us though hit the wall at 6 weeks, had the tiredness and fatigue, but it went away within a week or so.
    Take a look at other factors in your life.. Is it hot out? Are you working more? Are you eating the right foods, or is more of the junky stuff getting back in? Is TOM coming?

Not sure what else to tell you on that...

I appreciate the suggestions and insight. My diet, I am proud to say, has been pretty solid. I do have a treat every now and again, but nothing extreme.

For me, the tiredness hit last week, so I felt quite off. As for working, no job yet (searching for a teaching job for the fall - freshly graduated). It is hit though. I am wondering if it is the weather. I grew up in RI near the water and only recently moved to NY (Queens). It is much more humid, and it is warmer by an average if 5 - 7 degrees. So that really might be it. I am glad to say I can utilize a gym now that has air conditioning instead of a small basement with a stand alone fan.

Thank you again. I will have to see if my chase in workout conditions help me out. :)

:flowerforyou:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    So this is the start of week 8 and I have been really dreading getting on the scale next week. I know I have gained more than I should have because I went over TDEE too many times. Also during week 7 I caught myself thinking, oh well, have a little more you are at the end so screw up now while you can. Thats okay thinking for one day.....but not 7!

I almost thought of skipping the scale. I keep reminding myself I would probably regret that in a few weeks when I do step on the scale to not know what results I had gotten. But today I finally realized that I weigh more, so when I re-figure my cut numbers my weight will be higher which means I get to eat more!

Definitely a better motivator to get me on that scale and actually be excited for a higher number!
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am really struggling psychologically with eating my TDEE. Today will be the first day I've actually hit it, and only because I am very sick so I have been sat on the sofa all day :( Most days I have missed it by 300-800. I am up to 2400 as my goal but it's a real battle especially since I am a recovering anorexic. Sometimes I eat more in a single day than I used to in a whole week. This is the end of my 8th week of hitting 2000+ intake 4th week of 2200+. Fingers crossed that I can make this my first week of 2400!

In other news my scale has gone. I told my bf to make it go away so he did. It feels good. I don't plan on having it back for a long time.
  • Noor13
    Options
    I am really struggling psychologically with eating my TDEE. Today will be the first day I've actually hit it, and only because I am very sick so I have been sat on the sofa all day :( Most days I have missed it by 300-800. I am up to 2400 as my goal but it's a real battle especially since I am a recovering anorexic. Sometimes I eat more in a single day than I used to in a whole week. This is the end of my 8th week of hitting 2000+ intake 4th week of 2200+. Fingers crossed that I can make this my first week of 2400!

In other news my scale has gone. I told my bf to make it go away so he did. It feels good. I don't plan on having it back for a long time.
    Hi there!
    I know it is hard, to hit TDEE. And I know your feelings, that are connected with it. I too was anorexic and on low cals for many many years. But doing the reset, is the best thing you can do for your health. I struggled to in the beginning. Fist to get all the food in, and also mentally, it is really challenging. But, I am on my last week of reset, and I feel great. I am liberated, and I know that I can enjoy food. Yes, I did gain weight, during the reset, but it is expected. But I am certain, it will go, after I start my cut. And even if the lbs don't go, and I just lose inches and gain muscle definition-I am happy.
    Stay strong-if you need anything let us know
  • Noor13
    Options
    So this is the start of week 8 and I have been really dreading getting on the scale next week. I know I have gained more than I should have because I went over TDEE too many times. Also during week 7 I caught myself thinking, oh well, have a little more you are at the end so screw up now while you can. Thats okay thinking for one day.....but not 7!

I almost thought of skipping the scale. I keep reminding myself I would probably regret that in a few weeks when I do step on the scale to not know what results I had gotten. But today I finally realized that I weigh more, so when I re-figure my cut numbers my weight will be higher which means I get to eat more!

Definitely a better motivator to get me on that scale and actually be excited for a higher number!
    I am also starting last week of reset. And I know I have gained. Solid 10 lbs. But hey, it's ok. It will all come off.
    I just calculated how many cals I get to eat while cutting, and I decided to go for only 10%. Don't want to give up my newly found love to food :)