Stage 3

Options

Replies

• Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Kim & Lori -- on your lat pulldown machine, there are no extra 2.5 or 5 lb. plates you can add? My machine weights go in 15 lb. increments (55-70-85-100-115 etc.) but there are 2 "built-in" 5-lb. plates you can lower onto the stack, and my gym always has flat rectangular 2.5 lb. add-ons laying around. Without them, I don't know how I'd ever jump in 15 lb. increments. :o
    @karensoxfan - Nope. No extra weights to add. I have seen the machines where you can add the extra weights but not on this machine. It makes it nearly impossible to increase in weight. 10 plds at a time is a huge increase... Guess I will just perfect my form :smile: Any suggestions?
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Kim & Lori -- on your lat pulldown machine, there are no extra 2.5 or 5 lb. plates you can add? My machine weights go in 15 lb. increments (55-70-85-100-115 etc.) but there are 2 "built-in" 5-lb. plates you can lower onto the stack, and my gym always has flat rectangular 2.5 lb. add-ons laying around. Without them, I don't know how I'd ever jump in 15 lb. increments. :o
    @karensoxfan - Nope. No extra weights to add. I have seen the machines where you can add the extra weights but not on this machine. It makes it nearly impossible to increase in weight. 10 plds at a time is a huge increase... Guess I will just perfect my form :smile: Any suggestions?

Same here. I even asked about it, and after a quizzical look like "why would you want to do that?" was told, "well, I guess you could hook a 5 lb plate here." (on the pin for the weights) :noway: It didn't seem like a good idea, since the pin didn't seem to fit right after. So I'll just wait until I'm ready to make the jump.

I do like the idea of the drop set, so when I'm ready to increase, I may do it that way. I just moved up, so it will be a while. :wink:
  • loricolwill
    Options
    So I am in the middle of Stage 3 (I've completed A3, scheduled for B3 tomorrow.) and I think I need to take a break. I know it is weird to break during the middle of a stage, but I'm starting to have some aches and pains that are outside of DOMS. During a lifting session, I have no problem. But other than that I'm starting to have some issues with elbows and wrists that feel like inflammation. My last lifting session was Monday, I did light cardio yesterday. I'm thinking about continuing this week with just light cardio and stretching and not doing B3 until next Monday. My last break was the week of June 11, so just shy of 6 weeks. Thoughts or advice?
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    So I am in the middle of Stage 3 (I've completed A3, scheduled for B3 tomorrow.) and I think I need to take a break.

My last break was the week of June 11, so just shy of 6 weeks. Thoughts or advice?

If your body is telling you to take a break, then take a break. 6 weeks is a long time to go without one, and if you're cognizant of needing some time off, it's probably well overdue. Just do it! And be sure to plan some activities to fill up the time where you would be lifting. Whether it's taking the family to the park for some impromptu soccer, or planning a monster-walk/catch-up session with a girlfriend, I find that taking time during my off weeks to make them special helps me to get through them without worrying that I'm losing fitness.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I did my Workout B HIIT today (didn't have time for it yesterday). And my fastest speed was 6.5 mph. I'm going to try to make it 7 mph for Workout B4 on Saturday, but holy Batman, the thought of running 7 mph (even for 1 minute at a time) intimidates the hell out of me. :o

How hard are you all pushing in your HIIT? Do you do it on the treadmill? Bike? Elliptical? How do you measure your intensity - by speed, heartrate, or something else?
  • loricolwill
    Options
    I did my Workout B HIIT today (didn't have time for it yesterday). And my fastest speed was 6.5 mph. I'm going to try to make it 7 mph for Workout B4 on Saturday, but holy Batman, the thought of running 7 mph (even for 1 minute at a time) intimidates the hell out of me. :o

How hard are you all pushing in your HIIT? Do you do it on the treadmill? Bike? Elliptical? How do you measure your intensity - by speed, heartrate, or something else?

I do my HIITs on the treadmill and the fastest that I've done so far has been 7.0. I was super pumped! Go for it!
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When I use a machine, I just set the elliptical to Hill Interval for 15 minutes on level 6.... I have no idea what the time spans are, or the intensity.

But usually, I prefer going to Bootcamp for my HIIT.
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options

I usually do my HIIT workout on the stairmaster. 30 seconds level 15, 90 seconds level 7 - 8 Rounds. I am totally spent when done with this 16 minute workout. The first time I felt like I was going to throw up! :)
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My First Stage 3A

1 Arm DB Snatch - 18 lbs
    DB Single Leg DL -21.5 lbs.DB's
    BB Bentover Row - 45 lbs
    DB Single Arm OH Squat - 12/21.5 - so difficult!! What is with these?
    DB Incline Benchpress - 18 lbs DB's.
    Plank - 1st set - 60 sec, 2nd - 55, 3rd 45 - gotta work on these
    Reverse Woodchop - 15 lbs
    BWM - 4min 22 sec. - ouch.. brutal..
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I did Workout 2B today and am leaving on Friday morning at 4 am for a mission trip with our church's youth group. So I'll be active (except for the driving days..ha ha) and will resume Stage 3 when I come back the first week of August.

I have a question about Workout B - it seems way easier than A for me. The deadlift today was hard - I was trying to deadlift the same weight I did in Stage 1 - but I think I need to go lower since it has the row with it. But the one legged partial squat - seems too easy - I even held a 10 lb weight today - no difference - would dumbbells be better? It doesn't raise my heartrate at all (I wear a HRM). And today I did all of the abs in a super set and that was way better. Last time I didn't - and I felt dumb taking a break between the abs exercises.

The HIIT was good - I know someone else asked - I do my HIIT on the treadmill. I got up to 6.3 today - I'm not sure about 7 either - but my goal is to move up when I get back on track after our trip. So we will see!

My gym didn't have a back extension - so I found a weight bench at incline and just kind of "bucked back" if that makes sense with a 5 lb weight in my hand? Again - it didn't feel like I did anything. :)

Advice?

Sherry
  • joannezuk
    Options
    I found the same thing. I did B yesterday for the first time, and didn't even break a sweat. I was wondering whether it might be related to me just not feeling well...therefore not sweating like I usually do. I guess not.

Myself, I found the partial squat impossible due to an injured knee. I couldn't even squat an inch without the support of my other leg behind me, so I reverted back to the bulgarian split squat so that I could at least get some benefit.
  • loricolwill
    Options
    I did Workout 2B today and am leaving on Friday morning at 4 am for a mission trip with our church's youth group. So I'll be active (except for the driving days..ha ha) and will resume Stage 3 when I come back the first week of August.

I have a question about Workout B - it seems way easier than A for me. The deadlift today was hard - I was trying to deadlift the same weight I did in Stage 1 - but I think I need to go lower since it has the row with it. But the one legged partial squat - seems too easy - I even held a 10 lb weight today - no difference - would dumbbells be better? It doesn't raise my heartrate at all (I wear a HRM). And today I did all of the abs in a super set and that was way better. Last time I didn't - and I felt dumb taking a break between the abs exercises.

The HIIT was good - I know someone else asked - I do my HIIT on the treadmill. I got up to 6.3 today - I'm not sure about 7 either - but my goal is to move up when I get back on track after our trip. So we will see!

My gym didn't have a back extension - so I found a weight bench at incline and just kind of "bucked back" if that makes sense with a 5 lb weight in my hand? Again - it didn't feel like I did anything. :)

Advice?

Sherry

Workout B does seem to be easier for some reason.

Some modifications that some have used. For the partial squat are you on the floor or on a step? If on the floor, try a step? And for either, you can add dumbbells to add weight. I think I finally got up to 15 lb dumbbells (so 30 lbs total) before I felt like it was doing anything.

I also do the abs in a superset, including the cobras. It definitely increases the intensity.

For the back extension, you can always use a swiss ball. I think it mentions that in the book, although I'm not sure it has a picture. But I'm sure you could find some videos on you tube.

And while it does change the program a bit, because of time, I only rest 60 seconds. I think this does limit how heavy I can lift because I don't get the full recovery period, but it does help to keep the heart rate up and I'm usually sufficiently sweaty when I leave.:smile:

Hope that helps.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    I agree that Workout B seems easier too. I definitely had to add weight to the 1-leg partial squats & back extensions to feel like I was working hard though. The deadlift/rows are tough for me, and I push hard on the lat pulldowns, and even though I take full rest for everything else, I also superset the abs. For Workout B3, I also made the cobras harder by putting my arms out in front of me, and lifting my feet off the floor too.

Today was A4 for me, so here are my start/end stats:

one-arm OH snatch: 20-->27.5 lb.
    DB 1-leg Romanian DL: 40-->55 lb.
    barbell bent-over row: 85-->85/90 lb. (I can do some sets @ 90, but not all 3)
    1-arm OH squat: 5/10-->10/20 lb.
    DB incline bench press: 40-->55 lb.
    Plank: longest 80 (x1)-->longest 100 (x3).
    Reverse woodchop: 20-->30 lb.
    BWM: 9 min. (A1, 1st set) --> 5.5 min (A4, 2nd set). This might very well be the progress I'm *most* proud of in this workout!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    A Vs. B doesn't really feel all that different for me, except one is more upper body while the other feel more lower body. If you are stronger on one end than the other it may feel easier. I added serious weight to the B workout to make the tougher. I do the partial squat holding 40lbs (stage 5) and I do the back extension with one leg, though I did see someone doing them with a 45lb plate and I might give that a try next time. The one legged version is VERY effective.
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ok - great - these are all great ideas to use the next time I do my B workout. :) I ran today - and will not be near a workout until Sunday when we get to Philadelphia. I looked up our hotel and it does have a fitness center. So I will at least try and get a treadmill (for my running) and hopefully some weights to just keep my body used to it. I am scared about the running mostly because I know I will probably regress. I have been doing C25K and today was Week 9 day 1 and I ran for 30 minutes (jogging - not running) and I'm afraid by the time I get home (10 days) - my body will lose its endurance. :)

But when I get home which will be late Sunday - my weights day will be the next day - Monday - so I'll probably get sore again since it will be Workout 3A - but it will feel good to be back. :)

Sherry
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm down this morning. I weighed in today for the end of a 90 day challenge at the gym... overall, I lost 0.8% BF, but I had lost 1.6% at the midpoint mark... to gain half of it back is just soooo disappointing.

Oh well.... water under the bridge... I have B4 tomorrow. Week of rest... then onward!
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Did Stage 3A last night for the first time (went through the motions last week with light weights to check form). Serious DOMS today!!!! Glad, because I didn't really get sore in Stage 2 like this, but man, it's killing me to sit at work today. Pushed myself to failure on everything.

1 Arm DB Snatch - 30lbs
    DB Single Leg Romanian DL 25 lb DBs
    BB Bentover Row - 65 lbs
    DB Single Arm OH Squat - 15/25.
    DB Incline Benchpress - 30lb DBs.
    Plank - 90, 70, 43
    Reverse Woodchop - 36lbs
    BWM - 4:39 and 4:19 WTH!!!!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Did my first 3B today! I think i like A better, but i did love the Romanian deadlift/row

Barbell Romanian Deadlift/ row: 60 lbs
    Partial Single Leg Squat: bw
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown: 105 lbs
    Back Extension: - on swiss ball
    YTWL: - with 8lb dumbbells
    Swiss Ball Crunch - with 25lb plate
    prone jackknifes - yep
    Hanna 2: - did it
    Prone Cobra: - pretty much 90 seconds.
  • joannezuk
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Looking for advice, within about the next 90 minutes or so...

I have scheduled myself to do A2 tonight after work, but I'm thinking it might be a bad idea. I am planning on a 40 mile bike ride tomorrow and again on Sunday (in training for an event...need to do these without question). But if I have DOMS like I did after A1, I won't be able to bike. I've been trying to lift 3x per week, but could skip today and do A2 on Monday.

What do I do? How were your DOMS outside of the first time you did workout A? Do you suggest I suck it up, or not take the chance?
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Looking for advice, within about the next 90 minutes or so...

I have scheduled myself to do A2 tonight after work, but I'm thinking it might be a bad idea. I am planning on a 40 mile bike ride tomorrow and again on Sunday (in training for an event...need to do these without question). But if I have DOMS like I did after A1, I won't be able to bike. I've been trying to lift 3x per week, but could skip today and do A2 on Monday.

What do I do? How were your DOMS outside of the first time you did workout A? Do you suggest I suck it up, or not take the chance?

My DOMS wasn't bad after A2, but I wouldn't take the chance in your shoes. I'd just wait until Monday to be sure. Good luck!