Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Dear BUZZ, thank you for giving me a laugh! Your Titanic story duly passed on to all the other I folk I know who needed a good laugh yesterday.
    All schools are closed here as well and what's even sadder, all playgrounds closed and no little boys on the street belting hockey pucks into the flowers beds.
    Just a short note because yesterday was not a day to relate. Oh and I agree with SANDY - what was Patsys foreteller of fortunes doing not predicting where she was off to? Now, PATSY, left with the tarot cards, will you consider studying and taking up fortune telling? What happens in November for instance? Better not, we might all succumb to blood pressure.
    Michael says he's coming over for one hour. Much as I love him I am not looking forward to sitting in the garden huddled in my parka. I don't think Bean was too impressed either the other day.
    Bye for now,
    And yes dear Buzz, laughter is the best cure of all.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Last to leave, first to arrive.... rather like attending a party!! :p

A cool start with a hint of rain in the air but off we set on our walk, theh pooches and me, until halfway round I met a lady with her Scottie dog Macky walking from the other direction. I know of them because George's groomer cuts Macky's hair too so we stopped for a chat, them on one side of the road, me George and Betty on the other.... no pavements (sidewalks on country lanes of course!). We must have been there nearly an hour talking and slowing down the traffic and could easily tell the locals who waved from the not so local that glared and drove past at a silly rate. My task for today is to get back into decorating and hopefully finish stripping the old wallpaper off and filling a few holes!

No positive virus news on any front that I can see except for our 99 year old Captain Tom Moore who raised something like £20 million walking for the NHS charity that supports care workers. There is talk of him being knighted which made him smile as he saw the irony in his similar name to a Sir Thomas More, executed by King Henry VIII.

Have a safe and healthy Saturday dear friends. Light lunch then to work with a bucket and sponge.... exciting times! ;)
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    I BET talk of a knighthood made him smile JACKIE! What a wonderful man. Talk about keep right on to the end of the road!
    Mikes on his way! Where's my lumberjack fleecy lined plaid shirt to wear under my parks!
    My task today is to keep away from folk with sad stories to tell. Much as I sympathize, and I really do, there's really not much I can do to help.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,365 Member
    Tea time

29f9q2f96dmy.jpeg

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,273 Member
    Happy Saturday! :) We are expecting temps in the 60's so again I think I will try to take a walk to get some air. I might also take a ride to the bank ATM to deposit a check. So I ordered a new bedspread which came today in a box that I sprayed with lysol. Once open the spread and shams were in a plastic bag that I also sprayed and opened wearing gloves. I don't want to wash the spread because they lose their newness and get limp so am I safe in putting it on my bed?? I did spray it with lysol so I am thinking I am fine even though I am paranoid.

I saw that the Florida governor opened up Jacksonville beach and it was filled with so many people not practicing social distancing. What is wrong with that governor and those people?
    At this rate we will never get to leave our houses. So frustrating.

Babe called me last night to say his son's wife has filed for divorce. He said she has a court date in June. He was drunk again like that is a surprise. Babe was worried were he was going to end up but I will believe it when it happens because how many times have we heard this??

A shower is in order and then to get some air. Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Groggy but better but aide is leaving so must finish up with her. Will decide about cutting down or Back for aides. Back manana.
    <3 Buzz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,149 Member
    h9p9l1j42apx.jpg
    1kivy6ypdu4c.jpg
  • linder4866
    Oh Barbie, those are hilarious. Thank you. ❤️❤️
  • Gawanne35
    Agree, but it could be true! Fights at the hairdressers!

Well I'm sitting here having a cup of tea with my eyes half shut. During the night I went to the bathroom at 2:30 AM and groping my way back to bed decided out of curiosity to check my late grocery delivery service in the forlorn hope that a spot might be vacant. Couldn't believe it! There it was! A vacant spot! True, it's not for three weeks, but A VACANT SPOT! It's like finding gold out in the Klondike. Needless to say I've put in the biggest order ever, and providing Mark does some grocery shopping in the meantime the Bean and I won't starve! I've only got to wait until MAY 10th to find my groceries outside my front door at rather an unholy hour, but who cares!

Crawled back to bed but couldn't sleep out of excitement! So here I am having a cup of tea whilst the kneaded bread is rising.

How's that for an exciting start to the day! Rejunavated.....
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    A plain blue teapot. Also lovely.

6twcvqbabgt2.jpeg
  • linder4866
    edited April 2020
    Good morning, the sun is out, the snow is gone and the temperature should be a bit better. May sit on the deck in the sunshine for a while.

The new batch of sprouts are growing, bursting out of the seed pods and that makes me inordinately happy. 🤗

I cleaned off a spot on my kitchen windowsill and plan to see if I can raise a bit of basil or something equally easy. Oh, and may see if I can get a celery stalk bottom to grow. But the one I have doesn’t look too good so maybe I should wait until I get a likely starter. Failure is not a pleasing prospect. 🥺

Well, church online again this morning. But not for a while. My coffee is gone and I haven’t made any hot tea yet but maybe in a little while. Still cool enough to savor hot tea.

And still churning through my collection of DVDs, and have watched all the episodes of “To the Manor Born” with Penelope Keith and Peter Bowles. I wonder why I laugh at this show when ordinarily a character like Audrey would put my teeth on edge. I do like British comedies however. And I giggle at the most inappropriate things.

Barbie, thanks again for the spot of humor. Much needed.

Anne, stupendous news about finding a spot for grocery delivery. I hope that you will receive everything you have ordered.

Buzz, nice to hear from you. Always decisions to make but it sounds as if the aides are a help so maybe not yet the time to give them up? Long distance hugs.

Jackie. I love to read your posts. You are the most free person of us all. Out with the doggies, talking to others (even at a distance), driving to gather orders. With the change in weather, I was only out in my car once last week. Maybe more this week. I love your old gent raising money now by singing along on a song. He is inspiring.

Sandy, I personally would not want to use the new purchase without washing it unless you really do not touch it that much at first. There are dyes and chemicals in these new textiles that, for me personally, cause rashes. I don’t think the current virus is an issue. Took a long time to get to you. But do what makes you comfortable. Sorry for the upsetting news but as you said, wait and see, one day at a time.

Patsy, good morning to you. Is your weather pleasant now? Thinking of you each day, hoping you and John and Katie are safe and well. Is your Costco stock up holding out well?

Must move along now. Wishing everyone health and happy days.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Happy Sunday! :) My church service is done but it does bring me peace. It is another beautiful day with the sun shining and temps in the 60's. I did drive to the ATM yesterday and it felt wonderful and almost normal. Bryanna brought me a couple of items from the grocery store as I am still not comfortable going myself. Which brings me to a question I am hoping you can help me with. So Bryanna comes in my house when she brings me groceries and she washes them down for me. We maintain the social distancing and she is very good in washing her hands. However, she did go see the kiddos the other day and not so much social distancing. So Lisa brought up a point of if Bryanna was at both or our houses why can't I go to their house. I understand what she is saying but at the same time I know the kids would not do social distancing with me and want to hang on me. This is so hard but I still think I should be cautious and wait until our governor releases the stay at home order. Any suggestions???

Lin, I do use a top sheet and a blanket along with the comforter so I felt safe. It was hours after I sprayed the new comforter with lysol when I went to bed so I really am hoping all is well. I know I should have washed it but I was just afraid it wouldn't look new. Just say a prayer that I make it through the next 14 days without any problems.

Anne, good luck on the grocery order, wow three weeks out. I think I could order and get it within a week but as I said I wan't happy with missing items or just one item per order. I hope your service does better than mine. I prefer when Bryanna goes since she knows what I like.

Barbie, funny stuff, I am glad we have a sense of humor through all this madness otherwise we would lose our minds. Hope all is well with you and Jake.

Buzz, thanks for checking in and I agree with Lin, maybe keep the aides for a little while longer.

Jackie and Patsy, where are you? Jeri, is all okay with you and your family?

Time to eat some breakfast, a video call later with my kids and than a walk.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    1st night alone and slept like a baby. Spilled a full glass of ice water on the kitchen floor and later dropped a kazillion year old hand mirror. So guess I'll get back to bed after lunch. Have decided to try the 2 aides every other day, starting----9- 1,AM (PM) and 9PM -1 AM. Unless a miracle occurs with insurance, it'll have to do!
    I think I would simply hang that bedspread out several days, SANDY. You might run it through a cold cycle about 12 minutes in the dryer.
    Lunch arrived so I'm planning on naps later. Yawn!!!
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    A more than pleasant day because the rain clouds have moved on and it's warm again. I walked the dogs on our usual route along the narrow lane I've posted a photo of before but during a 45 minute jaunt met only 2 young girls on horseback. George panicked a bit because of their proximity so I picked him up and gave him a cuddle as they passed us. Home to make a flask of coffee then out came my car to drive to the allotment to dig a trench and plant potatoes. My neighbours were there too but we kept our distance! I've potted up a delivery of wallflowers that arrived in yesterday's post and sat poorly hen Cilla (Yes, she's still alive) in another warm bowl of water. There's a chance she has developed an Infection but I'll continue the treatment and she how she goes.
    Tomorrow morning I'm going to take a trip to the next town because I've been told their much larger Aldi has fewer customers than my local one where it's impossible to avoid pushy shoppers.

Lin, the last thing I want is the virus but feel I'm fitter than a lot of people half my age so will take a few low risks to get out and about. Lots of hand washing of course!! 🙃 You've reminded me I've some basil seeds that I should get started too.

Hooray Anne, a delivery booked, how exciting and now panic buying is over you'll hopefully get everything on your list.

Oh dear Sandy, how many times has that threat of divorce come up? Hopefully this one won't send Babe's stress levels back up. I'm sorry you have to deal with the worry every time.

Buzz, what positive news that your aids may not be needed much longer but please dont rush things. Baby steps lovely lady. 😍

Thanks for the laugh Barbie. I can see a queue forming outside my hairdressers one day, elbows flying!😯

Decision to make about my evening meal. I picked chives at the allotment so perhaps an omelette.

Take care everyone and stay safe and well. ♥️
    Jackie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,149 Member
    :)Good Morning, All,
    It has been important to me to be respectful of everyone's boundaries as regards social distancing and sheltering at home. There are some who are much more strict than I am (never leaving their homes, washing everything down, etc) and others who seem to go to the store every day shopping for whatever suits their fancy. To stay in emotional balance I have to continue to live and let live. I explain my boundaries to others when needed and make no comments on how they have chosen to interpret the directions given out by leaders in various roles.

I am fortunate to live in a neighborhood with low population density and wide private roads with practically no traffic so I can walk with the dogs and with one friend easily at any time. There are some in my neighborhood who are not even coming out to their own yards and others who seem to be driving to the store every day. I have had to explain to several people that I cannot pet their dogs and they cannot pet mine.

Jake is high risk for many reasons so he stays in the house or the yard. He can walk across the street to the mailbox only if there is no one else there.

I have made limited trips to the grocery store and Costco armed with a well curated list and carefully maintaining distance from others even if it means standing still for awhile til someone moves away from the shelves I need or turning around and approaching the aisle from the other end. I made it work to shop in only two stores even if I had to compromise price or brand. The reason I can't limit myself to only one store is that we get dog food at Costco and Jake and I agree that it's not a good idea to change their food. There were two items that I couldn't get at either place so I ordered them from Amazon. I ordered yarn online rather than go to Wal Mart. As it turned out I had a much bigger choice of colors online than I've ever had at Wal Mart

I have more than enough to read thanks to PaperBack Swap online and e books and audio books through my public library. We have lots of TV choices through our cable company and Amazon Prime and NetFlix.

:) Reading about your lives and seeing all the tea pots has been a joyous experience for me every morning.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    High thin clouds this morning. Not sure what that will bring. Mist? Showers? Cloudy but no precipitation? Partly sunny? Maybe!

I have had a really really bad case of cabin fever the last couple of days. To say the least I needed to take myself in hand and tell myself...GET A GRIP old girl! I have much to be thankful for and I have a lot of tasks that could use my attention. John is suffering because his favorite hardwear store is often closed and Home Depot is a mess these days. Running out of the most unusual things.

The white rhododendrons (always the advance guard) are starting to show blooms. The pink camellia in front is really showing off and the calla Lillie’s are starting a full show now. We have one day of warm sun, the next day requires a blast from the furnace. In other words, it is spring.

I can’t imagine how this crazy world is going to look after the lock down eases and we have virus treatment of some sort. Everyone says things will have evolved. Our world has constantly evolved through the years, so I guess this is to be expected. Locally, I can see our fishing and logging industry will have really changed if not totally disappeared. But Oregon will still make our wine and beer. That is still happening right now.

We have toilet paper in the stores also paper towels but no cleaning supplies of any kind. Why? Who is buying ALL of the cleaning supplies. Surely they are making more of it somewhere. Thankfully we have laundry detergent and shampoo and conditioner.

Our art galleries might not reopen. The biggest and best one is for sale. Two restaurants that were local favorites have closed and will not reopen. But I feel sure something else will open in their stead. Everyone keeps saying....remember Montgomery ward catalog? Sears? Just like in those dear gone days, we ordered everything. Now from Amazon.

Placing an order for cosmetics and dog toys as we speak.
    Have a lovely Sunday,
    Patsy☘️

• pinkperil
    Sandy, we posted the same time so I just caught up! It’s a difficult time for sure and we all approach it differently so you must do whatever you feel comfortable with. I would never suggest you do things a certain way but at the allotment today a family arrived to work on their plot and their small daughter, maybe 4 years old, came past some distance away on her push bike and said to her mother “ I mustn’t go near them must I” meaning my neighbours and me. In England we’ve been told not to visit friends and family’s homes and leave bags outside the door if delivering anything but you might have other advice in your State. So after that ramble, back to the beginning about being comfortable with what you do! 😝😜🤪
    Jackie

• linder4866
    Sandy, we have been told to stay inside our homes and have things delivered to our front door or use drive through services. But overall, we older folks are to stay totally to ourselves. Only if you cannot have someone shop for you or get deliveries, then get your groceries and/or prescriptions and go back home. No extra shopping.

Several of my friends are missing their grandchildren and use FaceTime (or something like it) every day to keep in touch.

I believe that is what is requested of us. I try to keep to this using drive through at Walgreen’s, banking and drive through post office mailings.

There are other people who are doing much more mingling. There are people who are working, not stay at home working but with others and kids who spend part-time with mom and part-time with dad in joint custody situations who are mingling with grand parents. Many people are not shopping alone but with their family unless the store will not allow them to enter. Everyone who is out there having contact with other people may have been exposed and of course, we know this thing can be spread when there are no symptoms. My friend (who lives alone) goes shopping almost everyday, mingles with her son and daughter-in-law, and drives places with another friend and they have met up with that lady’s sister whose husband is an EMT. Oh my.

So you decide, the very safest thing is to follow the strict rules of our respective states and municipalities. From a practical standpoint, it is my observation that a number of people are not doing this.

As I have mentioned, my friend’s daughter (living alone) has covid-19. Her parents, sister and children have all stayed totally away and bring things to her to pass through a window or leave a delivery on the steps.

All the suffering I have heard about has me broken hearted but also quite sober about the prospect of contracting it.

I cannot decide if I should allow anyone in my house to fix problems or do maintenance. Keeping my fingers crossed nothing totally breaks down.

Weigh the factors Sandy, only you can decide. I hear the pull of the grandchild in your post.

• Gawanne35
    Quick comment from me on isolation (of sorts) but something to think about SANDY, both my sons tell me they will never forgive themselves or each other if I get this virus from them. Likewise, I won't be able to live with myself if they collect it from aged me. It's hard, but it will pass, and I want us all to be intact when that happy day occurs.
    Everyone is doing so well, let's keep it up, and we CAN communicate in this era unlike the poor folk in the past.
    Love to all you dear folk,
    Annie and Beanie.
  • Sandydur
    Thank you all. I know the best thing is to stay home and not take any chances. Love you all! 💕💕💕