Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Trouble getting in today!
    The vintage green you like was the colour of my living room in Derbyshire JACKIE. We papered the less than perfect walls in Anaglypta before painting. It looked very pretty"
    This is hopeless! Can't type!
    Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello! Today is cloudy but I don’t think we are to get any moisture out of this. We are into our part of the summer with a fire restriction. No open fires at all, no campfires in the state parks or the federal park. No beach fires or bonfires of any kind. Thank goodness. Our forests and heavy plant growth would really be difficult to put out in a wildfire.

My foot debriding went fine and as it happens was just in the Knick of time. If left unattended these things can get infected and create a foot ulcer that is deep and almost impossible to heal. Whew! Mine was more in the regular maintenance category. Always a bit unnerving when the knives come out.

As I mentioned, I do the NIH recommended exercises for seniors. It is supposed to exercise most of our muscles and just as Buzz said, a huge emphasis is placed on being able to get up from a sitting position without the aid of using ones arms to help push up. Since I am “bottom heavy“ I need to use my arms to help me push my bum out os a chair. I realize this info is something you really have no interest in knowing, but I seem to be a chatty old bag!

My calorie daily allotment is always under 1800 and normally about 1200. That is enough to keep me fed and happy and unfortunately I lose barely a few oz each week. My doc is supportive and happy with that regimen. At my age, my daily one glass of wine in the evening is an acceptable treat. The one sugarless cookie to go with it is also acceptable. Nothing too exciting here I’m my food plan. But easy for me to live with.

We “tried” to watch the highly praised movie called Uncut Gems. Eeeeeeek! We had to abandon it early on. Stars Adam Sadler. Ugly story, loud unpleasant music, why was this film make? If you research this film, you read nothing but high marks. It is a story about a Jewish jewelry store owner with a raging a gambling habit. The only word that can describe it is SAD!

Friday is veggie stir fry and brown rice. I am teaching John to use chopsticks. So far most of his stir fry ends in his lap or on the floor. Katie is on cleanup duty.
    Patsy☘️

Ps: note to Buzz about Portland....there was a small protest here in Astoria on the corner of our courthouse lawn. Multi purpose protest. Mainly people to are feeling unhappy with our disappearing human rights. Hanging out flyers etc.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Started the day catching up on some computer issues and then the usual sunrise walk at 5:45am. Several people out – running, walking dogs and one lady we see daily riding a bike (Cannondale bike model that can cost “thousands of $”).

Early in the week Jean had showed me a “special CANNOLI” sold at a little shop downtown. I made a mental note to be there today at 7 a.m. open. Got there at 6:45 a.m. and the line was around the block and returned home with a plan to return at 10:30a.m – I did and found out per manager they MADE and SOLD 1,000 already…so I got her 1) THE BUCKEYE (choc cake, peanut butter glaze, crushed peanuts, peanut butter buttercream, chocolate & peanut butter drizzle) and 2) CINNAMON ROLL (cinnamon glaze, cinnamon struessel, cream cheese swirl). (pic).

gmkhrpm1eiem.jpg

Arrgh… had lots of steps on my Garmin yesterday and over 10,000 by 3pm today --- BUT --- News last night was Garmin services and production “go down after ransomware attack” and they are planning on a multi-day maintenance window to deal with it. For now impossible to sync to MFP.

The car had a smell this morning and I told Jean I needed to investigate later. It has less than 2000 miles and couldn’t imagine what was wrong. Long story short – I had left some steak I bought the day before in the car overnight and with the heat…mystery solved. Jean took her almost 90 yr old friend to get her hair done, while I went for replacement steaks LOL.

Did a 2nd walk at the mall… one stop at JCP that had reduced prices again… picked up a pair of Levi’s (size 34 – the only 34’s I have owned since Freshman year high school. I don’t want to lose any more weight and actually hope to settle around 180 (170 right now) – but need to get to some kind of low weight lifting to put muscle / weight in the right place…not just a scale number.

Lin -- Ćmielów Porcelain – very cool. Hope you had a great day.

Anne – We seem to be running into the same thing re: some item shortages. It was good for a while but now back to some empty shelves or limits.

Sandy – Those are all important questions and various experts have slightly different takes and hard to give a flat answer… the main focus on IF is controlling insulin… I follow 4 or 5 professionals on IF information Jason Fung MD, Ken D Berry MD and Dr Eric Berg DC and Dr Cywes the #CarbAddictionDoc they all have some very good information including what is IF friendly and / or kicks you out of ketosis and much more. Anything I would briefly comment on would not be the best information. If you search under Youtube all three have dozens and dozens of very specific videos that are informative. In the end, I designed what I knew would work for me individually for 16/8 low carb. Hope this gives you a place to start. Hope you get your share of the stimulus check, as it looks like something will happen.

Patsy – I am always amazed at how many people from high school died in their 50’s or younger . I recall one friend that served in Vietnam, jumped from helicopters, hand-to-hand combat etc. – He came back and moved to Florida and was playing football. The ball went into the river & he jumped after it – got tangled in weeds and died. Of course, most that I know were health or car accidents. We are fortunate to have made it as far as we have. I went to the same school as all 7 siblings…my father graduated in 1928! They closed the school when I had 2 years left and turned it into a parking lot… no halls to roam LOL. The new school never felt like “my” school and I have probably only stayed in touch with 3 or 4 people from that school. I often wish the “family alma mater” would have an “all classes reunion… they did it once about 20 years ago. But now with both the church and school completely gone – not likely. Hope you enjoy that “virtual retrospective show.”

Jackie – LOL on the alcohol. I definitely limit my intake. What I avoid are foods / drinks that spike my insulin. While I love a good IPA (craft beer) and a “quality” port wine – both are loaded with carbs/sugar, so at a wedding have opted for “spirits.”

1wa3hsjbdgv3.jpg
    go6wz73hxux4.jpg

OMG – just realized how long this got – will pick up comments tomorrow. Have a great Friday night everyone! Bob
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Just letting you all know I simply cannot use this site. Took almost 15 minutes to type this.
    Heat? Will try daily. Even difficult reading your posts.
    So sorry.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Whoosh and off went another post just as I typed Manana. Perhaps it landed in Spain!

Could it be your laptop playing up Anne or just MFP? We have to get you back somehow!!

Very late so back tomorrow 😴😵
    Jackie

PS. Mmmm, love a Bloody Mary out of all those drinks Bob!!
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    9:07. No problems on the iPad JACKIE with anything else, just MFP. It's weird. Anne. 9:25.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    Options
    Maybe either sign out and sign back in or restart your IPad. You might have to delete your history.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,166 Member
    Options
    Good morning. A teapot appropriate for the Midwest and hey, it is sweet corn season and the field corn is growing well. I live in a corny state.

3ntg1q234xse.jpeg

Time to water again.

Lin

❤️❤️
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Take today, I've got into MFP easily at this time, but I know by the time it's for coffee break the typing will be slow and stumbling. I honestly think my problem is heat related and not the closed down border, lol, it's quite cool at 70 odd degrees right now but once we climb to that 90 - boom I'm a goner.

I had such a lot to say, but now I've finally arrived the grey cells have gone blank! Mind you, that can happen any old time these days. I did read everyone's posts with great difficulty and SANDY was thinking of trying the 16/8 diet? Sandy, you look absolutely great to me judging by your photos. Really trim and youthful. JACKIE is as energetic as ever, up to her ears in workmen and paint samples, whilst thankfully BUZZ improves daily. Wonderful news Buzz. Our LIN is also busy, busy, busy and showing her lovely teapots. It's astounding that there are so many designs! PATSY, a delight as always! Poor JOHN trying to manage chopsticks! The Chinese are so fiendishly clever one wonders why they didn't invent forks which are much more elegant than trying to shove ones sausage, rice etc into ones mouth with two sticks! BOB buying jeans and being very amusing whilst Mrs Bob is one lucky lady with her treats! BARBIE, I can't check back to the previous page in case I lose this lot, but I so envy your dancing feet and long dog walks. Have I missed out on anyone? Well only Donald who's into mask wearing now and focussing on remarks aimed at the Chinese?

Oh, must say I'm so pleased with Jackie's hair dyeing and her hairdressers thumbs up. Way to go!

Such a lot happened here whilst I was in MFP lockdown, but I've babbled on enough. Plus must go and join Jilly in a good scratch from all the moskie bites. I'm beginning to dislike insects! They say we and our dogs become more and more alike with time, and me and Jilly are definitely into scratching, but I have yet to master using my foot nails to scratch my ear.

Anne. 🙃🐶❤️

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :) Yesterday Jake made a wonderful bbq chicken in his NInja Foodi using pressure cooker, slow cooker, and air fry settings. Then he dehydrate shallots from his garden. He does all the clean up from his cooking. So this morning he is sleeping late. He stayed up a bit late watching the first baseball game of the season. It was great even though our beloved Seattle Mariners got soundly defeated.

<3 Barbie
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    PATSY I've just listened on our radio to a terrifying report about the riots in Portland and the Feds quelling them with teargas. Even the mayor got tear gassed apparently. I know you are out of it and safe, but I hope your son will leave the city and be home with you! That's if what I heard is true,
    Please stay safe Patsy, John and of course Katie, your son and his dogs and your daughter and her family.
    Anne. ❤️
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,166 Member
    Options
    Hello, it is steamy now outdoors. Back from a trip to the communal mailbox.

I am cleaning vegetables, making cards, paying bills and general usual stuff today.

Bob, what wonderful treats at that shop. Do you think you will snare what Jean really wanted? And I was oh-so-nauseated thinking about those steaks in your car. May the odor dissipate quickly. Sorry you have to purchase once again. I haven’t had alcohol for decades so I have no comment on the choices you posted, although several looked quite lovely. 😂

Barbie, Jake is doing marvels with his new system. It certainly isn’t one of those purchases that is squirreled away unused. I hope he enjoyed watching the game although the outcome was not what was desired. I have fans are able to watch all games with no blackout areas this year since tickets to the stadium aren’t available.

Anne, I spoke with a friend in Portland and she said she and her hubby never ever go downtown. They live in a lovely suburb and are unaffected by the craziness. So hopefully it is the same for Patsy’s son. I know I would not go out after dark if I was downtown. I hope you and Jilly are well.

Patsy, we now have teachers demonstrating against mandatory in person classes. They are quite safe about it though. They had hundreds of cars caravan around the streets near our capitol building. Signs out the windows or painted on the vehicles. No screaming and shrieking or mobs or throwing rocks. One sign said something like “even libraries must speak up now”. Was the demonstration in Astoria peaceful?

Jackie, I am sorry about the lost post. It is infinitely irritating. Argh. How are all of your critters? The girls? Did your bees stick around? Hey, I saw a lovely butterfly this morning. Monarch or Viceroy type colors. The first I have seen this year. It was lovely. We have had a few small butterflies including some white ones that we called cabbage butterflies. Or are those moths?

Sandy, happy weekend. Oh, I meant to tell you I got my renewal notice for the insurance on one of my cars. There is a whopping $11 discount for the period March through June. No indication there will be further rollbacks. People are out and about, there have been loads of speeding tickets, more at 100+ mph and quite a few fatal accidents. I think the discounts are over in this state.

Buzz, good day to you my friend. Are you still reading the tell all book? I hear the once again released attorney is trying to get a book on the shelves before the election. Oh my! Hugs dear friend. Wishing you the best each day.

Stay safe everyone.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    I'll go back to yesterday just for a quick update since last night's post whooshed away. It was a day of that rain that you don't notice is in the air until you're soaked through; mizzle we call it! The asbestos man duly arrived to survey the downstairs rooms, middle aged and rather gorgeous although I'll never get used to the unshaven look! It's daunting that both rooms will need to be emptied because there's little space to store, being a small cottage. My leather sofa and chair are heavy to say the least and no way can I, even with help from a neighbour, lift them out and where to anyway? He agreed the best way forward will be to place them in the middle of the room and cover them which is a relief but, phew, everything else must go. A good time to sort through books, knick-knacks, wall hangings and everything else that moves but it will take time. He will email a quote and asked for a week notice to carry out the work but I'll need longer than that!
    Once he left I phoned round for a painter/decorator and found a cheerful man called Pete who will drop in on Monday when he finishes a job to see what will be required. I told him I hope everything will be finished by Christmas......

Today I took George and Betty across the moors but although we set off in a mist but dry, by the time we turned round to head for the car the heavens opened and we got soaked. I had planned to drive to our town to visit a dear friend on his doorstep but was so wet I went home to change first. Les is 95, upright and has a better memory than me! I've promised to go back to sit in his garden with him when the weather picks up again. Stopped at the farm supply shop on the way home and it was very quiet for a Saturday. Everyone now wears a mask which certainly makes me feel more comfortable.

The green on my old walls is certainly vintage Anne and I think will give the room a cosy atmosphere as well as connect with the greenery in my garden. I've odered a couple of sample pots of contrasting deeper colours too perhaps use on one wall or the alcoves.
    I possibly mentioned before my neighbour gave me a spray to use that keeps the biting midges away and apparently the SAS use it. It's not sold as insect repellent so I've no idea how they discovered it works but if you or Mike can get some it's really cheap and is Avon Skin so Soft with hardly any scent, certainly not the usual strong smell. I'll take a photo on my phone and post it.

Love today's teapot Lin; it's certainly corny but adorable with it! Another jigsaw completed! You're putting me to shame. The nostalgia in this one is lovely and reminds me of the pics on my wall calender.... the good ol' days!

Bob, the Cannoli pastries look delicious and assuming you didn't indulge, I'd say you have an immense amount of self control. Lucky Jean though. :p Shopping after my hair appointment Thursday I picked up a box Italian almond biscuits and luckily they are paper thin so once won't hurt. Of course one doesn't really satisfy but I'm doing my best!

Good news Patsy on your foot maintenance. I've seen in others just how deep those awful ulcers can go. My daily calorie count is around 1400, sometimes a little more but often less but to lose more weight I'm thinking I need to try something other than reduce them more. We are hearing a lot more about the dangers obesity poses for those becoming infected with Covid-19 and a chart showing the BMI of those who have survived and others who are critical or worse is revealing. My weight today just tips me over the top of my BMI and I hate to be on this current roller coaster.
    As Anne has posted, the news coming out of Portland is distressing even watching from afar. We expect such scenes in countries run by dictators but not America the Free! Do take care of yourself and family. <3

Hi Sandy. I will lose this post if I look back but seem to remember you were having an eye test so hope that went well. Keep us posted on your ideas for a different way of eating too.

I'm going to research the Ninja Foodi Barbie. Sounds a great addition to my kitchen!

Hooray, looks as if the clouds have lifted so a disruptive thunder storm warning was hopefully wrong. Time to feed the pooches and Brady (who just woke up!) then chuck corn for the chooks!

Have a good and safe Saturday everyone.
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    Options
    ly558heqwg65.jpg
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) My eye appointment went well, they were very cautious and took my temperature when I arrived. She asked is it hot outside and I said yes why? My temp was 100 so she scared me but said when people come in from outside it reads hot so waited a few minutes and it was 98. Whew, I told her she had me nervous especially when my average temp is 97.7. My macular is the same so continue with my Ared lutein capsules.
    The bartender where I play bingo who is in her 40's posted on Facebook today that it is day 5 of waiting for her covid test results but she was sure since her husband's test was positive that her's will be also. They both posted how awful they felt with excruciating pain, fever up and down, no sleep etc. They were pleading with people to take this virus serious and to wear a mask and social distance. I feel so bad for them and they have two teen age boys I pray don't get it.
    My eldest son's birthday is tomorrow but his wife is getting a zoom meeting together for tonight and will have a cake and we will sing happy birthday to him. It will probably be hectic and chaotic but should be fun.
    Washing my sheets and paying some bills. I will go visit Joe later.
    As far as eating I am just going to count calories because it is less in Cholesterol than counting carbs. According to MFP 300mg is my daily count and yesterday I ate 95mg. As of now I am gaining rather than losing but will see what happens in the next few days.
    I go back in 3 weeks for labs for cholesterol and 3 months for vitamin B labs.

Have a great day,
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Thanks for the tip JACKIE. Will try to find an Avon agent. There will be one around somewhere.
    Sandy, Mikes friend is absolutely indispensable in that sort of knowledge. I swear Harry next door breeds mosquitoes for pets. Swarms on his side of the fence near his rain barrel.

We painted all the walls that vintage green but in the alcoves
    next to the fireplace we painted a much darker shade in the same range. We had shelves in these alcoves painted white with the sort of mossy green behind and all my favourite things on display. Although I say it myself the effect was much admired and I swear we sold the house to the very first person who came along, purely on the colour scheme.

Notice I'm still here anybody? It must have been MFP mucking about.
    Anne. 😇🐶❤️
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Low key day – sunrise walk and NY Strip steak on grill (photos from today) – I am exhausted. LOL It was 65 at 5am and headed for 87 with a feel-like of 92 degrees – loving it. GARMIN still down from their server issues.

xr6xs794ac4s.jpg

Lin – I better not show Jean that corn themed teapot… her favorite! In fact back in the day, I recall co-workers actually giving her a case of corn! As for snaring what Jean wanted…it might be awhile. Today, she asked that I cut back on bringing her regular treats and I will obey. I would never want to submarine anyone’s weight loss efforts…and although for me, she is in great shape (we all judge ourselves differently).

Yes we had funeral services for the steaks. Actually they smelled so bad (while I was out) Jean drove them to a dumpster so they would stink up the garage. As for alcohol… I like it… But we haven’t purchased any for the house since last year. But, I have enjoyed a few wedding and out-to-dinner drinks. Jean rarely drinks (maybe a couple each year if you count champagne on New Year’s.

Anne – When you said “… had such a lot to say, but now I've finally arrived the grey cells have gone blank” – all I could think of was my last episodes of the same. You’re right about your assessment of Sandy with an emphasis on “youthful.”

Jackie – The pastries were delicious looking but you are right… I passed. Actually, after the 1st month of IF (16/8) and significantly reducing carbs/sugar – cravings and even hunger are gone for the most part. There is one pizza place that makes the “best in town” for decades and will likely have some when things are a bit more normal. Never thought I’d see the day…there was a time when I consumed what should be a days “nourishment” in one meal. While I track calories, the scale etc daily… I look mostly to the mirror and BMI.

Sandy – Glad to hear all went well with the eye doctor. My eye dr has me on nightly Latanoprost and has put in a request for a “shot in my eyes” with similar Rx that would work for 6 months to 2 yrs eliminating drops. I wasn’t always compliant and the dr justifiably read me the riot act once. It’s sad to see Jean’s uncle having very bad macular degeneration… I have to blow up pics and docs for him.

Happy Birthday shout-out to your son and enjoy your Zoom session. Best wishes on your eating plans. Everyone is so different. I may talk about issues on MFP but keep it to the minimum in daily life. It’s like the exercise thing we discussed – what works for one doesn’t work for the next person – and doing whatever you enjoy and will stick to is the most important.

Happy Saturday to all. Bob

• pinkperil
    Options
    Anne, I was convinced yesterday someone at MFP was tweaking knobs because it was erratic to say the least! Oh dear, Harry should know a rain barrel is a perfect area for mozies to lay their eggs. I’m planning on all this work in the cottage seeing me out so will have to choose colours carefully.

Lin, we posted about the same time so I missed you. No bees moving into my bait hive although I often read comments on our local parish website about swarms in peoples’ gardens. I could volunteer to collect but knowing my luck they’d be up the top of a high tree! There’s no rush as I wouldn’t get honey now because they would need to feed themselves and build up their store cupboard. Sadly, and I don’t know why, there are few bumble bees about this year and even less butterflies that should be flitting about. We call the white butterflies Cabbage White because it’s a favourite plant of theirs to lay eggs and caterpillars chomp through the leaves in no time. I’ve only seen a couple of Woodland brown, a small blue and one Peacock. I wonder if 3 months of rain early in the year did a lot of damage. Do you still get poked and buzzed by the aggressive wasps outside your door?

Sandy, so sorry to read about the bingo bartender and her husband being unwell with the virus. I’m sure a lot of people either don’t think they’ll get it or believe it’s like flu symptoms. Enjoy your family zoom meeting. Sounds like great fun. I expect your body is adjusting to the changes you are making so hang in there.

Waving to Buzz. Keep improving lovely lady! ❤️🥰❤️

I’m now going to watch a Documentary, American Histories Biggest Fibs!!

Jackie
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello! Warm lovely day today but tomorrow is to be a like miserable oven. Horrible! Humid and hot. It will be even difficult to breathe. Ugh! I will fix popsicles for dinner.

As far as our protests here in Oregon...thank you dear sneakers for your concern and well wishes. To that I feel I must again add my radical thoughts. I am the only radical in the family. I was raised in a family of activists so I guess that runs true to form. I am of the opinion that we must speak out against injustice and demand support for human rights. I hear my dads voice in my ear about pre WWII. If we don’t resist a tyrannical government we will relive that horrible Insane era. My family understands my cause but thinks I might not have the strength to do much other than voice support. I fear they are right.

Anne: color can change everything, for good or bad. It can change temperature and mood. I can imagine the color scheme you described and it sounds wonderful and in a real way, very sophisticated. I love it.

I had forgotten about Avon skin so soft. We used it a lot in Alaska. The mosquitos were legendary there. We all went around in the same faintly perfumed fog.

Lin: I have a set of candles that look like they were made to accompany that teapot. They are wax candles that look like to ears of corn. I use them at thanksgiving.

Sandy: my doc tells me that my meds and barometric pressure Influences the body’s ability to retain water and also our weight as well. My doc likes the idea of a balanced diet. A little of everything....a glass of wine in the evening, fruit, lots of veggies, some sort of protein, a small source of starch. Easy for me to plan a meal and something John can live with as well. We go for the heart healthy Mediterranean diet. Nothing complicated or unusual. We each have to design our own lifestyle and food plan.

Jackie: I really had a huge giggle at your skin so soft photo. How could I have forgotten about it? I also use Avon rich moisture Therapy hand Cream. My hands take a beating with frequent hand washing and the paint is irritating to my hands. It is wonderful.

Bob: I remember seeing that info about carbs and alcohol. We are so funny about wine. We here in Oregon get very defensive about our wine as apposed to California or Washington wine. Ours is better, as you must agree. Our late harvest white wines are like dessert. Ohhh Baby!

Grooming Katie, doing exercise, gearing up to clean the oven. Rubber gloves, vinegar, Brillo pads, and nasty caustic oven clean. Wish I could hire Jackie’s oven cleaner guy.
    Patsy☘️
  • Gawanne35
    edited July 2020
    Options
    JACKIE, I watched that programme a week ago. "American Histories Biggest Fibs".

PATSY, but honestly you can't beat Niagara on the Lake Canadian wine, especially their ice wine. I don't expect BOB to agree - lol. Okay, I'm sort of joking, my drink (if ever) is Bristol cream Sherry and I won't say no to a Black Russian.I guess my diet is Mediterranean or close. Gotta have my shepherds pies and Yorkshire puddings as well - in winter! Those Mediterranean folk don't know what they are missing!

I've ordered summer weight pants and a top from M&S but don't expect them to arrive as quickly as before because of the virus. Hope I get them before Christmas! Ordered on the 23rd. I wonder if they will arrive via Cleveland as before now we have a closed border? Seeing I couldn't post my usual stuff and bend your ears, I got into mischief with M&S instead.

Time to feed the Bean and watch the news, but do I really want to know what this crazy planets been up to?
    Anne.