Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,166 Member
    Options
    Hello. Not a good night’s sleep. May doze for a while.

I thought this was a lovely photo. No information on the tea set to share. It just made me smile. And I am sure anything that looks like good are just props for the photo. Decorated styrofoam, totally inedible.

yqfcdto3xkj6.jpeg

❤️❤️
    Lin
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Pretty teaset LIN, and if that photo came from the UK, those meringue nests will be totally edible. I'm surprised I didn't emigrate looking like a battleship. I think in those days the key was everything in moderation. My first errand when I visited England was to the bake shop to buy their version of a pastry lined cheesecake. Nothing like the cheesecake we buy over here (although it is scrumptious as well).
    Another favourite was "mouse droppings". A small round cake morsel covered in jam I think and dipped in chocolate bits. Glad I haven't completely lost my memory.......yet.

Mikes day off and we will be heading to the pet store to buy another more suitable hairbrush. Bean is shedding like crazy especially in the Pomeranian ruff area and I wonder if her tummy problems are connected to swallowed fur.

Met Maria taking Tony for a walk last night and holding his hand. He looked quite good but poor Maria who was very youthful looking when they moved in next door has aged quite shockingly I thought. It must be absolutely dreadful during this pandemic locked in with a poor person with dementia and no relief. Tony still recognizes her but not his two sons, wives and grandchildren. He shouts for them to leave if they turn up.

Enjoy every second dear Sneakers.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    A brighter day thank goodness and when the sun pops out it’s warm. I drove the pooches to one of our favourite areas only to find the car park packed full with horse trailers, Range Rovers and lots of people and horses. Fox hunting season doesn’t begin until October so it must just be a ride out for fun although little or no social distancing taking place! I drove on to a quiet area and took a stroll round a derelict mine engine house so George and Betty could run free and investigate.
    0qdhy38ast9v.jpeg

The boxing up of items continues and this afternoon I have to sort through dozens of vinyl LP’s dating back to the 60’s. What to do with them? Some valuable others sentimental. First ever bought was a Peter, Paul and Mary album which set me apart from my friends’ pop music choices and that trend has continued through to today.

I’m feeding neighbours’ cats until Monday when friends of theirs arrive while they spend the next week on a canal boat somewhere in Oxfordshire. Noisy neighbours the other side appear to be away too so wonderfully quiet!

Anne, a few days ago I watched a documentary about people who go missing and in this episode 2 separate cases of dementia sufferers showed what a nightmare it is for any spouse. A lady left her husband at home while she lunched with a friend during which time he went walk about and it was shown how police used CCTV and Facebook posts to trace him, just in time as it turned out! The other was a man who took his wife into their town for a coffee, turned his back and she disappeared. It left me feeling emotional just watching so no wonder María is exhausted. It’s a terrifying and cruel illness for both carer and sufferer.

Bob, history was a favourite subject for me at school too, still is. So much is like reading the most fascinating, exciting or sometimes heartbreaking novel with the added bonus of being for real.

Sorry you had a disturbed night Lin. It’s Saturday so hopefully no necessary chores or trips out.
    Anne is correct about the meringue nests that I think are filled with thick cream and sugar iced violets... yummy!

Ok, time to dig out the albums. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Happy Saturday. Stay safe. 🙋🏻‍♀️
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Oops, who did that to my photo? 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • linder4866
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hi. Plants watered and tomatoes gathered. I love that! I pull a little red onion every once in a while. Just remembered I left it outside. I had better rescue it.

Okay Anne and Jackie, I was trying to make the food in the photo less enticing, I don’t want to set someone off on a hunt for forbidden goodies. Yes, the photo was from a British site but let’s just play they were no calorie set props. 😂😂

Diane will probably stop by someday but I see her everyday on Facebook and she’s not said anything dire about the fires. A friend here on MFP did mention she had to evacuate her home and go to live with her son. Wringing her hands I am sure about whether her home is still standing.

I spent quite a while yesterday afternoon on the phone with a friend who is deciding on a laptop purchase (maybe). Her late husband was in charge of all things electronic and so she is working from a huge deficit here. She had everything removed when he passed away so she needs Internet service, a new laptop (she trashed the old one after not being able to get it fixed), put away the printer, which wasn’t working. And I feel bad that she cannot even figure out how to use the DVD player.

Anyway, after a long conversation and she is armed with more questions! And I think I provided a bit of help.

I am going to check pending charges on my credit card. I see they actually charged twice for that no-show order and I finally got an email saying the order had been cancelled. Thank goodness it is just an inconvenience, what if I had been in actual need of groceries? I also wondered if they are trying to force people onto the $10 delivery fee and off the free delivery?

Well, I had best get going.

I am so glad George had a wonderful birthday and thank you for the photo with his favorite stone. ❤️❤️

And I have no idea how today’s photo got flipped!

Anne, happy shopping to you. 🙋🏼‍♀️

Best wishes to all today and always.

Lin ❤️
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) I started a post and accidently hit the close X. Anyway the sheets are in the dryer and breakfast has been eaten. Bryanna picked up my new prescription yesterday and stayed to share my dairy free pizza which was delicious and a glass of wine. We ate on the balcony and it was wonderful being with her as I don't see her as much anymore. She is going on a rode trip with her friend who is getting her Master's in California. They are planning on camping out instead of a hotel and are bringing pepper spray and other protection (no guns). Bryanna will fly home even though no one wants to fly but she is cautious and will probably not see me for 14 days and no doubt get tested to be safe.

Lin, since I am very techie I can imagine how hard it is when you know nothing about electronics. Of course I have two sons who are always willing to help me if I get stuck. I am glad you were able to help your friend or guide her in the right direction.

Jackie, I think you are trying to make us contortionists and make us stand on our heads to view your picture. I tried turning my phone around but that didn't work. lol You remind me of a friend I had who has since passed away. He was in his late 80's and we used to play gin together and then go out to eat with Babe. He once told me I put some of my old vinyls in the trash yesterday and I said no don't do that. He had so many Elvis albums and I said ask your kids first because they are probably valuable. He did listen but I wonder if the trash men keep the ones he threw out. Sorry, just reminiscing. BTW, it is still a beautiful picture.

Anne, yep, that time of year for new coats for most dogs. Poor Marie, it has to be so hard and even harder on their children and grandchildren. Such a horrible disease.

Hello to Patsy, Barbie, Bob and Buzz. Have a wonderful day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    It was a wonderful morning. After my walk, Jean and I spent almost an hour on the deck enjoying sun and warmth – it was about 68 degrees. Then it was time for me to clean-up, shower and head out for groceries (hunter/gatherer LOL). Nice time – a bit busy but not crazy.

Back home, I started to get things ready for an afternoon steak cookout. Then Jean and I headed to the mall for a second walk…by then it was much warmer and humid – so inside was nice. We split up for a bit, so Jean could stop at Hallmark and a few other “women” stores and I got to browse things that would be of no interest to her. It’s almost cookout time now.

I took another photo of Jean’s sunflower and posted to social media. Next thing I know my wife and a group of her friends decided they are all going to plane 1 sunflower next year for fun! (here is pic).

wcr9djxl6fha.jpg

Jackie – George is one handsome guy… and looks loveable. My kind of “buddy” dog! Sounds like your gyms are under control. I can tell you my current gym has always been SUPER CLEAN and a lack of cleanliness is why I left the last gym I had belonged to for years… a new owner let things go and it got gross.

Just read your second post – ahhhh… I LOVE my vinyl and play it daily! All kinds of music from George Strait to Dean Martin to Bruno Mars, to Mario Lanza to Al Martino to… the list is endless. I was given some “abused” vinyl recently I would like to try and salvage. Is there a cleaner you can recommend? These weren’t treated with the respect they should have been.

Anne – I copied that full poem this morning and posted it with todays forecast to social media. Jean loved it! Now I will have to do something with that rain ditty.

Lin – Nice tea set! Love all the different styles you have posted etc. I must say, I always need a handle bigger than most tea sets. Maybe I’ll try some to have some tea with “a small round cake morsel covered in jam I think and dipped in chocolate bits.” Hmmm… where di that idea come from? LOL Anne.

The boss just called up – I think she is hungry – by for now. Bob
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    We had a lovely visit with Michael who turned up in his new works car. Love it. The colour is Persian green which is a sort of deep blue with a greenish tint.

He brought a can of pure organic pumpkin purée for a recipe I found on the internet. Bean is absolutely wild about these cookies! So after we picked up a nice new brush for her at the store I baked the cookies whilst they trotted off for a walk. Very hot and humid this weekend so I baked early before it got worse. If anyone is interested this is the recipe.

2/3 cup of pumpkin purée - natural, no sugar added.
    1/4 cup peanut butter
    2 large eggs.
    Beat together then slowly add
    2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    To make a rolling out dough.
    My smallest cookie cutter made about 35 cookies
    Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, depending how crunchy you want them.
    I can guarantee the Bean whimpers for them and Mike and I ate one each. A little bland for human taste buds but they taste okay for an emergency, lol.

Tony has been brought home three times by the police as far as I know JACKIE. Each time happened when Maria turned her back for a brief moment as she cleaned. The furthest he got was on a bike. I wish with all my heart I could help her, but he trusts no one except Maria who he sometimes thinks is the cleaning lady - if they had one!

Looking in my fridge, a good shelf part is devoted to Jilly. Container of cooked yam. Container of cooked rice. Container of cooked chicken. Frozen chicken pieces for future cooking. It's a dogs life!
    Just wish they lived longer otherwise I'd opt to be a dog in the next reincarnation. Cookies on the counter top, toys all over the floor, brushes in a bathroom drawer and so forth. Recognize a pattern PATSY!

Think I'll join Bean in a nap, although I've just seen a message saying Bob is ahead of me and must see what he had for lunch,
    Annie.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Bob, my vinyls travelled from England to Canada and back again increasing in number over a couple of decades then sat in storage for nearly a year while I got myself re-settled. Damp air did it’s worse In storage so that some covers left cardboard pressed into the grooves and mould damaged some even more. The husband of a friend who had collected literally hundreds of albums over the years recommended this cleaner and one by one I worked my way through my collection spraying one side, wiping with an anti-static cloth then playing that side, flipped over and repeated the process. He told me to also occasionally spray the needle on the player and gently remove any muck picked out of the record grooves. It worked a treat then when Covid appeared I put the spray bottle in my car and used as an alcohol hand sanitizer in the first few weeks when panic buying made it impossible to buy the real thing!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tonar-Vinyl-Record-Cleaning-Bottle/dp/B00EWLTCPC/ref=sr_1_31?dchild=1&keywords=Alcohol+cleaner+for+vinyl&qid=1598128459&sr=8-31
    My collection goes through Sergio Mendes to Isaac Hayes (Hot Buttered Soul) on to Leonard Cohn. Even Edith Piaf makes an appearance and I’m guessing we all have a few Frank Sinatra albums!

Your sunflower picture and words would make a stunning t-shirt logo. I might just beg, borrow or steal it!

As ever I became side tracked during my afternoon of sorting when a collection of books got my attention. A huge and heavy Chronicle of Britain had me flicking through its pages that are set out in the style of newspaper articles. Mary Queen of Scots seemed a particularly brave woman faced with execution. Before being beheaded she had to listen to a long tirade about her Catholic beliefs but replied that since she had been a catholic all her life she may as well die one. The best thing of all was that as she walked to the scaffold one of her little dogs trotted along unnoticed under her skirts and after she was beheaded it put up a good fight refusing to leave her. Well done that little dog!
    Anyway, books now sorted so definitely the vinyl collection tomorrow.

Sandy, very wise to have told that friend not to throw out his collection. My friend Pat did just that and has always regretted it. She did give me a Neil Diamond album before the rest went but it has a lot of scratches so jumps and skips! Elvis is second to none of course but I’m guessing he ended up in a dustbin poor man rather than staying in the family! Lovely that you got to spend quality time with Bryanna. A glass of wine and pizza on a sunny balcony sounds perfect.

It’s a dog’s life Anne but did you know it used to mean the opposite when they were chained up outside to guard, thrown scraps and didn’t live long... How times change!

Ok Lin, not a calorie in sight in today’s tea photo!! Thanks for letting me know Diane is not mentioning the fires as a problem on Facebook. I know California is a big state so hopefully she’s nowhere near.

I’ll get to bed a bit earlier tonight. It was close to 2am last night! 😴😵

Jackie

• Gawanne35
    Options
    "It's a dogs life". No, I didn't know JACKIE. Thanks for the info. I meant the very opposite of course. Talking of Jilly Bean, today she is definitely on the mend. What a relief, I was rather worried for two or three days.
    We are just settling down for the evening. These days with my few channels, Saturday night is the only decent viewing night for me.
    Night night, everybody,
    Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Sort of Slipped and creeeched my hip and knee! Not feeling very chipper today. All will be well in a bit of time,I am sure. Be well everyone.
    Patsy☘️
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    Options
    So sorry Patsy. Feel better soon.💕
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Ouch Patsy, that sounds very painful and I’m thinking you are down playing the outcome just a bit. Difficult times lovey but don’t be scared to seek medical help and advice if needed. ❤️
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Oh PATSY, how horrible for you. I was beginning to wonder if you were okay. Please rest and get well very soon. Sending love and a big hug, Anne. XX
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good day. A James Sadler teapot.

h3ahbp1j6obw.jpeg

❤️❤️
  • linder4866
    Options
    Sort of Slipped and creeeched my hip and knee! Not feeling very chipper today. All will be well in a bit of time,I am sure. Be well everyone.
    Patsy☘️

Oh Patsy, so sorry ❤️❤️❤️❤️

I hope you are recovering a bit today.

Lin
  • linder4866
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hello again, tomatoes watered and I have brought in more lovely little gifts from the vines. The plants are losing their leaves and more leaves are turning yellow. My friend says it is a harbinger of the end of the season. NO! Not yet ☹️ All too short since I got such a late start. Maybe I will start purchasing potting soil this fall so I can get an earlier start next year. 😄

Bob, I adore the sunflower and can see how it would inspire people to plant one (or more). Your weather sounds lovely. We are having a bit of a heat wave with mid-90’s expected all week and unfortunately no rain whatsoever. There were showers North of us yesterday. The drought is expanding in this state. Jean’s lovely sunflower would need drop irrigation to survive here. 🌻

Jackie, I looked up the cleaning product you mentioned, I cannot find it for sale in the United States. There is a German company that will sell and ship internationally but the cost is too high for me. My vinyl will have to stay dirty. I have relatively few albums left, I got rid of most when, I’m a fit of cleaning frenzy, I donated most to a charity having a sale. But I have some albums left and almost all of my singles, 45’s, in three carrying boxes. Someday they will all go. But not today.

Anne, what a nice day yesterday. And the much desired pumpkin for the Jilly’s treats! I am glad the new work car is eye catching.

Sandy, great time with dear Bryanna. ❤️❤️ A time to treasure.

Last evening a friend call and we chatted for almost and hour and a half. She described an early birthday celebration and more. But overall, she sounded so down and depressed that I felt the need to try to bring up other topics and to try to entertain her. Why do I do that? Anyway, when I hung up I was wrung out like an old towel and went to bed. I found this morning that I had left a light on in my haste to just lay down. 🙃 oooooh, the electric bill!

A new puzzle finished.

f6yhobgexkhh.jpeg

Wishing everyone a day that contains something happy and/or enjoyable.

Long distance hugs ❤️❤️

Lin

• pinkperil
    Options
    Since yesterday afternoon someone has been trying to video call me on WhatsApp but each time I’ve not been near my phone so missed them. I tried calling back yesterday but no pick up so after a couple more attempts by whoever this morning I began to worry perhaps someone not in my contacts is trying to let me know a friend is in hospital or worse. My first port of call was my very good friend who had a stroke when staying with me a couple of years ago... could it be her son? Called her about 1100am after walking on the moors and we just got off FaceTime 2.50pm!! She’s fine and we had lots of laughs about all sorts but I must get back to sorting my vinyl collection.
    Lin, that same friend went through difficult marital problems a few years ago and I would often spend hours listening to her on the phone in a depressed state but nearly every time she would say how much better she felt having talked but I’d be left carrying her load and feeling awful! I guess that’s what friends are for. What a shame the vinyl cleaner isn’t available in the States but perhaps something similar is out there. I gather it’s the alcohol that makes it a good option because it doesn’t leave a residue.

A quick snack eaten so on with my tidying away.
    Happy Sunday everyone.
    Big hug to Patsy ❤️
    Jackie
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    My long gone vinyls certainly went back before Sinatra became the rage. We never thought they would become valuable once CDs arrived.
    PATSY, we all hope you recover quickly.
    Hi to all my dear friends, and I' m off for a bit of a nap. The poor breathing affects my ability to remain focused on much!
    <3 Buzz
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Well said JACKIE on your advice to LIN. It IS draining on the person listening, but the person who needs to talk is so much helped when we just listen. I get a bit of the same from Maria. Her sons don't really understand what she is going through and sometimes a non judgmentall friend is a friend indeed.
    No jollying up. Your friend obviously realizes she can get things off her chest with you. I cannot imagine how hard it must be to be a professional counsellor, be saddened by what you hear and try not to take it home with you at 5 o'clock!

My little pup is still not really herself. If she doesn't improve, the vets tomorrow. I'm keeping her home in the cool today. No long walks. VERY hot and humid. She is like me, we both prefer colder weather.

This has been the most horrible year for everyone. From the high and mighty to the little guy at the bottom of the heap and as Mark said this morning on his daily text message, allergy season starting. Just great! PATSY, be sure to let John look after you, cook your meals, clean the bathroom etc as you let that hip and knee heal.

Bye from Anne🙃and the Bean🐶❤️