Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Yes, the spam was a bad idea! Just surprised it's still around and tasting the same! 😜

This spot of warmth is bringing out the mosquitos again, the bane of Anne's life! Two bites this evening.
    Harry seems immune to them. He's painting the garage door which has to be a first in this lifetime. I rather hope he's NOT thinking of selling, all this sprucing up. He's like an old beloved pair of shoes that cause bunions but one is sorry to part with. Life won't be worth living if I've nothing to moan about!

We've had Mr Trudeau on TV warning us that Thanksgiving will be a family washout and Santa Claus should stay in isolation way up north because his parade has been cancelled. The new cases ARE on the rise as house party goers are being fined enormous amounts after being reported by neighbours to the police.
    Anne. Thinking bedtime, I'm strangely weary this evening. 🛏😴🐶❤️
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :) the smoke is gone and the rain has started. I'm still keeping with my average of 13,000 steps a day
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Bangs on the roof in the wee small hours had Bean and me up and running to switch on all lights. Raccoons again trying to find a winter home in the attic? Who can blame them, still.....!
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    When I finally finished the DIY jobs yesterday I lit the first fire of the Autumn and in no time it was so warm I had to take a layer off! Brady and George loved it and stretched out in front of the stove and I'm sure the walls must have been drying out at a rapid rate!

This morning I took the dogs to the Hurlers where it's quite exposed to the elements and brrr, it was cold so when I saw dark clouds coming in our direction I did a big u-turn back to the car. Now contemplating a final clearance in my current dining room but also have to take an old electric heater off the wall. The last time I did that must have been 30 years ago and I still remember how heavy these things are because they're full of bricks so slow but sure!

Bob, certainly in the 70's Toronto was clean and not too crowded and perfect for city living but I returned 20 years later and hardly recognised it. Some would say it's progress but I'm not so sure! I remembered that Irish proverb you quoted as I pushed hands into pockets and pulled my jacket hood over my head to keep the cold blast off the back of my neck then told the dogs to look out for the rushing hounds!!

Lin, my good friend Pat lived in Polperro with her now ex when we first met so I got to know the village very well. She and her husband had a small restaurant on the seafront and their son a magical childhood running free where everyone knew him so could keep an eye on his safety. He also had an invisible friend he called Dionysus that he talked to. Sometimes he waved across the harbour when no one was there. Who are you waving to? Dionysus of course! You've got to wonder how a 6 year old would come up with that name which is that of the Greek god of wine although he remembers nothing of it now!

Never mind the racing hounds Anne, you've got Raccoons to contend with! Hmm, I don't think I could face Spam and can only occasionally eat corned beef if put in front of me!

Sandy, I do hope your meeting today will help you move on from recent upsets. Tell it how it is!! So finally your balcony is being spruced up just in time for winter.

Hello Buzz, so good to see you dropping in. The pleasure is all mine chatting to you! <3 Do let us know when your move happens.... soon I'm guessing.

Patsy, you may have answered my mystery of disappearing socks! Two have gone recently and of course not the same pair so I have odd socks waiting for their partner to turn up again. It did cross my mind they might have been sucked out of the washing machine although the other option is they've dropped off the washing line into my rather dense geraniums and will be discovered when I cut them back, otherwise I'm at a loss! Well done John, he'll sort the drains I'm sure.

Must get on, have something light for lunch the yet more DIY'ing.

Take care everyone. It could be a long haul through until Spring and the hopeful vaccine but I'm sure we'll all soldier on.
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,166 Member
    Options
    Anne, what a way to wake up. Critters! Noooooo. And yes, bugs! It is very warm here as well and there are many bugs out there, although I am watching the wasps and hornets Quite closely. 🙁

Barbie, wonderful news! Couldn’t be better. ❤️

Buzz, great to hear from you. And up and walking more and more. You are a strong and determined lady. ❤️❤️ I started looking at teapots online during this pandemic. I have always found them interesting I guess because my mother collected teapots and also because I find them interesting but I have no interest in actually purchasing any of them. 😃 A very good thing.

I have a grocery order to pick up this morning so should zip along.

Stay safe.

Lin

• linder4866
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I saw a post with several of these teapots, different design and thought well, interesting. Then in a comment someone posted an eBay item showing they are much more expensive than I would have ever thought.

473era93kqv3.jpeg

mpj43l8onpwr.jpeg

❤️❤️
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    I missed BUZZs comments because we posted at the same time and I was on a new page. BUZZ, so good to read you! Great news indeed.
    I suspect Donald will win again which means Harry and wife will probably head back to the UK. I think Canada will be too close for comfort for them to move back here!! I'll say one thing, living in Russia never appealed to me.
    Glorious day again - spoilt of course by other pests buzzing around.
    Bean in a very playful mood, snatching tissues and my socks. It's either a change in the weather coming soon or she thinks she's a washing machine.
    I'm 8 years younger than you BUZZ. Don't we live in interesting times!
    Anne. 😳🐶❤️
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) Have a lot to talk about at my meeting today including the call I got from Babe yesterday about Daisy and her hips. He said she is having a really hard time in getting up and needs help sometimes. There is nothing else to do for her as she is on strong meds for the pain. It makes me sad to think I probably won't see her again and I hope they don't let her suffer. I am waiting for Babe to call again to see if there is anyway I could see her at least one more time, but I think we all know the answer.

Anne, my goodness that would have scared me half to death if I heard noises on my roof. I hope there is no entry point for a critter to get into your attic. Bite your tongue on Donald winning again, I have faith that won't happen or get my spare room ready.

Lin, interesting teapot but I would never spend that kind of money for a teapot. Hope you get everything needed in your order, mine was out of stock on three items.

Jackie, yes ironic isn't it? My balcony is going to look great for the snow and ice. Terrible time of year to be fixing it up when I was using it all summer. Oh well, I shouldn't complain at least it looks nice until the snow hits. Cute story about the invisible friend.

Barbie, glad to hear the smoke is gone and you can walk without inhaling it again.

Buzz, so good to hear from you and you can expect a call from me one of these days.

Bob, I hope Jean is feeling better and it was just a bad day.

Time to eat and get ready. Have a good day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Partly sunny but rain and light wind on the way. The news tells us , here in Oregon, that we are chasing the tail end of our wild fires. Still hot spots and a couple of small areas need to be contained yet. The heart ache left behind has been unimaginable. Whole towns are gone. But now for healing the broken hearts and help for the homeless. Our goddess of green might be convinced to come home again.

The funny temperature wars are in full force these days. I am sweating and gasping for air, John is freezing and dealing with icy cold fingers and toes. He has on a heavy sweater, I am ready for a tank top and flip-flops. I am running my tiny personal air conditioner and John looks longingly at the small heater. Katie is totally confused. What?..............

Jackie: your story of the little boy with the invisible friend sounded very familiar. My invisible friend was a grown up lady who gave me good advice, helped me by standing guard by my bed at night and looked a lot like my absent mom. Her name was Justine and she could play dolls and would ride double on my horse, an Appaloosa named “Bugger.” Nasty disposition, that horse! Bucked Justine and me off many times.

Anne: good idea to have someone check your roof. As you know raccoons can cause a lot of damage.
    We have them snatching apples from our apple tree or rather apples that have fallen near our apple tree. The deer and a couple of small brown bear see the apples as their personal grocery store. Katie barks with a loud warning bark/growl that seems to alarm them.

Buzz: okay my dear friend, so happy you are feeling better. I would also love to call and chat. The three hour time difference is a problem but I think we can work this out. I promise not to jump on my soapbox and start my political rant.

Lin: the teapot is strangely interesting and unique. I can understand the interest. But........

Sandy: the scene you are describing about Daisy is a nightmare I have lived through several times. Letting them go just tears a hole in my heart. The grief is the same as with any person or animal. There would be some people who don’t understand that connection. There is no explanation. They are family and we love them dearly. Letting them go is ripping your heart right out of your body. I hope Babe has some support during this time. I understand it is a misery for you too, my friend. Wish I would help, but I am thinking of you both.

Time to exercise and sweep the kitchen floor. We are tracking in fallen wind blown leaves. Smells sort of nice however.
    Patsy☘️
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Imaginary friends, playmates of lonely only children. Mine was Tojo. I'm not sure how you spelt his name. When very small I spent a lot of time talking to Tojo who was very real to me at the time but only vaguely remembered now. I seem to remember a black shape. My own sons didn't seem to have imaginary friends. Didn't need them with all the kids flocking to our garden. I counted 17 one day!
    PATSY we've already had the roof replaced once because of raccoons ripping off the tiles. They actually managed to get into Harrys attic through a hole next to his air conditioner unit which is placed at the back on his roof for some reason. I turn every light on in the house if I hear them thudding on the roof. They leap from the garage roof onto the house roof and it's a yearly occurrence as they look for a warm comfy winter home to hibernate. Last fall we had the squirrels being evicted. Raccoons don't like loud radio noises by the way if you should find yourself with unwanted lodgers.
    I've got chipmunks sitting up and watching me from their homes in cracks in the concrete drive near the edge. Bean and I stand very still and we stare at each other with Bean and me moving on first. I bet it's very cozy down there when the snow falls.
    I'm rather missing Maria to chat to now she spends all day at the hospital with poor Tony. A whole week since he was rushed in.
    Well I didn't intend to post again today, but the vague memory of Tojo set me off.
    Anne. 🙃🐶
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Nothing much out of the ordinary today – weather is very nice and mid 70’s. Had a warm (but short visit) with friends. The husband has a dad in a medical facility (very sick) that only allows 1 person to visit. Their son is getting married and they asked if I could make an 8x10 photo from a small year book pic – just in case. They were thrilled with the results. When her husband’s eyes filled with tears – it was the only thank you I needed.

Anne – You’ve convinced me on the road trip… Just waiting for things to improve and loosen up a bit more. Want to take one “nice” trip within the next 24 months and then perhaps a road trip. Only 1 yr ago at this time, we were at Cheers in Boston…without a pandemic thought. God and plans again. Loved the “white witch” story - except the toe nail business… As for being single… Jean loved it. She got to do things I missed out on. I’d rather be single than unhappily married. Jean feels the same way. I do understand a desire to share time with someone, but also know people that aren’t comfortable with themselves and “have” to be with someone. Glad to know you are happy and doing OK. Here is a photo from only 12 months ago. “Look…no mask.” LOL

ak7jv2ln9sy4.jpg

Lin – On the sweater… couldn’t say “no” for $4.99. Jean is on the mend and had to take her old church friend to the doctors and then lunch today. She only had soup and was only gone 2 hrs total. She want to go hear that same band at the ice cream stand tomorrow night…and want to get better asap. We’ll see. You sound like Jean when you talk about watering plants, changing water, dealing with garden pests etc. Even when home, she accumulates far for steps in a day then me. Loved that photo of Smugglers Cottage in Polperro, Cornwall.

Sandy – That was my dad that did those things – my brother is nowhere near as active as you… You’re amazing.

Buzz – Congrats on possible “assisted living” If that is what you want. Not sure it truly registered with me that you were 93… how fantastic you still have the interests you do. Jean’s aunt is very active on social media but she is a child of only 87ish. LOL.

Adios for now. Hope everyone stays well. Bob

• linder4866
    Options
    Good afternoon. It is hot and the stinging bugs are keeping close to my house. They are not popular with me.

Sandy, no, I did not get all of my items. I spoke to a friend after I got home and she said she had been to Sam’s Club recently and everything she wanted, paper products, cleaning products, disinfectants, liquid soap....nothing but empty shelves. So I have spent some time finding Prime Pantry items and I have paper products on their way now. And yes, Walmart didn’t have paper towels either. The person who put my groceries in the car said they were all sold last night. Timing!

I am very sorry to hear of Daisy’s poor health. I am heartbroken for you and angry that those people are so cruel. Hugs.

Everyone with an imaginary friend, I never had one. I always had a dog or a dog and a horse and they were my pals. I had some cranky horses for sure but my small Collie was always my best buddy and never had a bad day.

Jackie, your post did not appear when I was posting. Sorry. How lovely that your friend lived in that beautiful village. I have just been take. By that photo since I first saw it several years ago. It came up as a Facebook memory and it still captured my attention. Or perhaps you have nothing but beautiful villages? 😀

Anne, the friend I was speaking to earlier seems to think HE was just being confident that he will win. Right. Seems more ominous to me. Hey, Jillo, leave those socks alone!

Patsy, changing weather. I think that’s on tap for us next week. Everything is a bit unsettling to me. I spend much too much time thinking about what may happen in the last few months of this year.

I called Buzz this afternoon and we spoke for just a few minutes as it was time for her to go to therapy. It was lovely to hear her voice and I said I would call back another day. Just the way things go, I always manage to call when people have other things to do! My streak is intact. ❤️❤️

I must do some research. A squirrel continues to make trips to dig in my plants. I don’t know what started it and I don’t know how to stop him. Evil little skamp.

Wishing everyone health and happiness.

Lin
    ❤️❤️
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    Options
    Lin, put some red pepper in your plants.
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    He's burying his nuts for storage and use in the lean months LIN. The squirrel I mean. That's why we have trees growing everywhere, including our planters! Squirrels are notorious for burying nuts and seeds and then forgetting about where they put them, just like me and my glasses. Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Midnight here so I’m not officially early postIng this!
    uux1cvb2vg8v.jpeg

You always think of others Lin so I’m thinking of you now and sending very best wishes on your special day.
    I think the squirrels are burying little birthday presents for you to find! ❤️
    Hugs, Jackie
  • linder4866
    Options
    I found some animal repellent spray and gave each pot a few pumps. Will look for red pepper flakes in my basement stash of herbs and spices. I did actually dig in the same places where this nut has been throwing dirt. There’s nothing there. Apparently he digs and doesn’t like any of the holes? Bizarro.

Bob, how did your post not show up? I refreshed the page but the post just showed up. A nice day and once again, very nice photos. I loved them and the first word that came to mind—Norm! 😂🤣😂 a fun trip even with a bit of rain? What an extremely nice thing to do for a friend. Making an 8 X 10 from a tiny year book head shot? Sounds tough. They couldn’t have gotten a better person for the task.

I may read for a while this evening. I started to cut out pumpkins again. And once again, meh, I cannot get interested in completing the task. 🤣😂🤣 Too tedious.

See you tomorrow. Big construction project going on. A neighbor is having the old concrete driveway removed and a new one installed. Today was loud equipment breaking up the drive with loads of dust from the project wafting over the neighborhood. Woo-hoo. These peoples spend tons of money on that property.

Waving good night 🙋🏼‍♀️

Lin

• Gawanne35
    Options
    💜💜💜HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR LIN, MAY THE SUN SHINE ON YOU, OUR SPECIAL GIRL, AND I HOPE TODAY IS VERY SPECIAL💜💜💜

Hugs from Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Oh my, just stirring and I find two birthday wishes here. Wahoo! What a good start to the day. MFP hid your greeting from me until this morning Jackie.

Lovely, made me smile. ❤️❤️

Lin
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Today’s schedule in one pic… Gym at 5am (weights and 1+hr treadmill) Done; Great mid-day of mostly sunny and very warm and then some outdoor music & probably an ice cream for Jean.

o5kemt7br7k6.jpg

Lin – hope you survived yesterday’s heat and bugs – doesn’t sound too enjoyable! Can’t say I had an imaginary friend, but I did role play – I was a cowboy after watching the Lone Ranger and ate beans from the can…then there was a time I went for a run after watching the young boy in the movie Jim Thorpe -- All-American…too funny! So nice of you to stay in touch with Buzz – nice to have support in difficult times. As for squirrels – they can be a nuisance. I recall my dad putting Vaseline on the bird feeder pole so they couldn’t easily climb up and eat the birdseed. Yes, Boston was fun and it is the 2nd time to Boston where it rained etc., but somehow it just didn’t matter. As for the photo – that is the guy of editing I enjoy vs. editing a few hundred wedding photos etc. Something about bringing the old back to life.

And last but not least…

pjwtgrar9eqv.jpg

Jean just got up so O guess I’ll head downstairs and see how she is doing. Have a great day everyone! Bob

• linder4866
    edited September 2020
    Options
    What a day you have planned Bob! Thank you for the birthday wish. I have already been out with pepper flakes this morning. (I am using the old bottle from the cupboard as I dug out a new one for future cooking projects.). The battle continues. 😃squirrels are ahead at this point.

Speaking of battles, here’s a different teapot. Not a ceramic pot.

WWll Reed& Barton United States tea pot.

suw560f1dsse.jpeg

Lin
    ❤️❤️