Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Today is beyond gorgeous for late September… Last night our outdoor music concert was cut short because my daughter invited us to watch on a movie screen the production of “Frozen Jr” our grandson was in. They had practiced for months etc. and after many pandemic-related delays it was outright cancelled. The Music Director is great and had it filmed…including interview credits/interviews with actors.

Because of the pandemic, we viewed it on their large open-air patio room. I must say it was freezing for me at 9pm…but thrilled just to see the kids etc. A great night (although I had the heat on in the car on the way home full blast LOL).

Did all the usual this morning and just finished a late lunch cook-out; Ny Strip- Grilled & Boneless - Steak, Fresh Italian Blend Salad, Radish, Celery, Red onion, Banana peppers rings, Jean Tomato, Spanish Olives - Salad Sliced (With Minced Pimiento Strips), Gourmet Garden - Italian Herbs - Lightly Dried, - Spaghetti Squash, Cooked and Artichokes…DELICIOUS!

cm9xgzlsvvxj.jpg

Lin – Hope you had a grand birthday! Loved the WWll Reed& Barton tea pot… We have some Reed & Barton items in the house and reminds me of a time Jean took a short trip to either Massachusetts or New Hampshire and she brought back a few pieces of their silverware. When she told me the sale price, I couldn’t believe she didn’t buy few place settings… she did agree afterwards she wish she had. Oh well… it’s certainly not a “must have” item.

Jackie – I admire your walking and those ‘hills’ can take a lot out of anyone. The rainbow must have been beautiful. My young relations (ages 30’s to 50’) are a mixed bag. Some are health conscious and the others not so much. Sad to see someone more than 100 lbs overweight, but not caring and happy doing nothing… Between your walk and housework – a pedicure was well-deserved! THRILLED there is no longer a sign of cancer… as you suggested I am glad someone is watching over you.

Just saw your photos – what beautiful countryside! I swear I can see “Heathcliff” in the background. LOL

Anne – Great opening about a short note because you “want to start baking a bacon and egg pie for lunch” Thank goodness your priorities are right! As for the mess – Jean can’t believe it when I cook and the room I need. On the plus side – I do clean up my own mess (even if she needs to add her own last minute touch LOL). At least, I am VERY hypoallergenic when preparing food. As a child my siblings would call me “germ-conscious Bobby” because I wouldn’t eat anything if someone else had touched it. I’m not that bad anymore.

Speaking of messes – time to go take care of some post-grilling clean-up.

Best to all Bob
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    And I don't believe it! All after one another!

1. I have the back molar pulled out
    2. Jilly gets heat stroke
    3. I get the bee sting which was swollen and very painful
    4. I get sciatica. Excruciatingly painful. I'm just feeling better when
    5. My back crown and post fall out. At the other side.

Just now whilst drinking a coffee. Glad I didn't swallow it! I look less than lovely. No dentist until Monday if I can get an appointment. Soon I will be a toothless old hag. Blaaaah I want my mommy!

I want my dinner as well - molars out on both sides now!

Nothing life threatening of course, but why did these things happen this year? Why not last year when no virus on the horizon? Ah, sweet mystery of life.

Anne, the getting to be the toothless one. 😧
  • Gawanne35
    edited September 2020
    Options
    And I've developed a three year olds lisp! Good Morning.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Another beautiful day but a shorter walk this morning because I dropped in to see friends that I buy online painkillers for, well for their dog Ollie really. We enjoyed a catch up at a distance and had a giggle about me inadvertantly letting their cat into the main house where he's not really allowed. He lay in a patch of sunshine on the carpet and was ok until he was suddenly up on a window sill in their kitchen then "out you go!"

Patsy, your old cat is the sort I truly admire and sounds similar to my Boris that lived to be 21. However independent and distainful they worm their way into your heart!
    I must admit I would have been along side you at school getting into mischief in what I would have considered a harmless sort of way. Certainly no bullying but looking back I think I was looking for the attention I didn't get at home while my parents were going through difficult times before splitting. At one point I was taken out of the class and placed with the formidable Miss Parry, our science teacher, for the day. Turned out she was switched on to where I was coming from because at the end of our day together she talked to me and listened for a good hour, told me I was too intelligent to be wasting my eduction playing about and guided me towards an interest in science! That was fine until at 14 I had to decide which subjects to concentrate on and I chose art and science but my father intervened insisting I learn how to type.... never quite forgave him for that!

Frozen Jr sounds like a great alternative to your music evening Bob but I do know that feeling this time of year when temperatures plummet once the sun goes down! A friend of mine who lost over 100 lbs but has put most back on during lockdown gives an air of not caring but I think deep down she does, it's just too difficult to contemplate working at losing it again. That's why I admire your commitment so much although I'm sure in effect getting your life back must be a great incentive. Another inspiring meal that looks and I'm sure tasted, delicious.

Oh dear Anne, another tooth out. I am sorry! Surely not caused by egg and bacon pie! Autumn just round the corner for you too but I know how beautiful it can look in Canada so not a bad thing!

Sandy, our NHS says that evidence shows screening every 3 years is more effective than once a year so I'm happy to go along with that. Of course some cancers like mine do develop in that time but slowly and easier to spot so not terminal. That's all I know. As for bowel cancer checks, we have a 2 yearly home check pack sent to us that doesn't diagnose cancer but laboratory tests show if there's any tiny spots of blood in the poo and if so further tests are then carried out. It's non invasive and just a bit fiddly (I won't go into details!!).

Need to get outside while the sun shines. Happy Sunday.
    Jackie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    427818su42xtrsvb.gif

:) Got lots of knitting done yesterday while riding my exercise bike and watching a double header of baseball. Today is the last day of the season so we wanted to enjoy as much as possible. The DVR is set to record today's game.

:) We can drop off yard waste in our neighborhood for the next two weeks so we've started loading a big box with pulled up zucchini, tomato, and cucumber plants to put in the back of the car and drive to the dump pile. There's too much for our compost bin or our garbage can, so this is a great convenience for us.

:) I'll walk this morning with my usual friend and the dogs and then later with my other friend.

<3 Barbie
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    My dad made me go the shorthand and typing route as well instead of the art I so wanted JACKIE. But I lived to thank him when left in Quebec with the two boys and no cash coming in! I'm the last person to be a secretary, but it fed us working at an American English speaking firm for a couple of years before transferring to Ontario with the research group. Every cloud has a silver lining!
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,166 Member
    Options
    Good morning, much cooler and drizzling this morning. Before it started I did pick tomatoes, pulled a little red onion and cut a very lovely zucchini. We may have frost by the end of the week. I am going to try to cover my zucchini as there are four little ones trying to grow right now. The plant is fighting white fly as well so we will see. The lettuce seedlings stood up to heat, sun and lots of wind yesterday. Fingers crossed there as well.

omlp9e4pivgo.jpeg

I am ready to eat this yummy looking veggie. Much nicer than most that are delivered to me from the store.

7f00jillh4gk.jpeg

And the small onion for my salad. No, its not cleaned up yet.

I put together one of the little puzzles yesterday with a riot of flowers.

af0oowqvtjcx.jpeg

More later.

Lin
    ❤️❤️

• NikonPal
    Options
    Texted this meme to Jean at 5:30am (ok she was sleeping) – almost 70F degrees and headed for mid-80’s with sun for the next 2 days… I didn’t tell her come Tuesday we are back to a normal high of 66F with rain.

hnkz7jzrjgzd.jpg

Did the gym and then 8am grocery shopping. Planning a “pit-stop” visit with my older sister. Jean is watching local mass online – priest had to stop temporarily when a low flying plane showed up. LOL

Anne – Holy cow… That’s a lot of crap to deal with… perhaps it was the coffee… Until Monday I suggest a shot of Jack Daniels to prevent infection and ward off pain. (Just a tiny bit of humor during this horrific 2020 that can’t end soon enough). Hope that lisp doesn’t make you feel more “metherable.” :D

Jackie – Glad we are both taking advantage of the weather. Yes, Frozen Jr. was a great time. I feel bad for your 100 lb+ friend. I have several friends that have gained some decent weight giving into the pandemic environment. Oddly enough they were an inspiration for me to be extra vigilant. The more alcohol, nachos, desserts they posted about “over-doing it” and pants not fitting – the more determined I was to lose or stay the same weight. I may over-do some borderline healthier items, but no real bad stuff. That is probably a first for me – and certain never this long. Enjoy your “outside” time today!

Barbie – Look at all of us talking about activities, exercise and getting outdoors….enjoy your double-duty walking.

Lin – Fingers crossed as well for your seedlings etc. Happy to report several of the green tomatoes Jean grew, picked and then placed in a brown bag have actually ripened! Love them on my salad or with a dab of mayo. Going to hate going back to all store-bought veggies.

Have a great SUNDAY!
    Bob
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Pleasant day today but then the cooler weather and rain this week. Movie night was hectic but fun, we watched the Lego Movie but had some technical difficulties with their WIFI. Once my son restarted it all was good but we lost the attention of the two younger ones who were let's say "a little wild". Nice to be with family no matter how hectic.
    I have a couple of zoom calls today and a visit with Joe. Will try to fit in my bike.

Bob, you are really good with those memes, but hope you didn't wake Jean in sending it to her. I hope you visit with your sister went well.

Lin, nice looking veggies, enjoy them. And miss puzzle wizard another great job.

Anne, so sorry about all these terrible things happening to you this year. I do hope you get in with the dentist first thing tomorrow. Between your English accent and a lisp, I would love to hear a recording. lol

Barbie, you have always been an inspiration to this group and you are still going strong.
    I admire your dedication.

Jackie, I bet their cat loved you for letting him see inside, where does he stay outside?? I remember when your friend lost the weight she was very proud. Maybe she will get the incentive to do it again once things get back to normal, if they ever do. I am happy with myself not gaining during the pandemic, I am working harder than when things are normal only because I have time to ride the bike everyday and not going out for dinners every week.

Patsy, hope your day is going well and hello to Buzz and others.

Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hello again. Church is over and I have woofed down my lunch. Yum.

Sandy, a busy afternoon for you with the Zoom calls, a visit with Joe and maybe the bike. It would be a bit nasty for sitting in a garage today if your weather is like ours, a bit cold and very damp. Take care of yourself. Sweater(s). ☺️

Bob, surfing a popsicle. Haaaaaa. You’re gonna have some cold feet. I hope you enjoyed your visit with your sister and that you got everything on your list at the grocery store. I was laughing about your trip home last night with the heater blasting away on high because I would have done the same thing but likely would still be frozen when I arrived home.

Anne, I am sorry about the continuing disasters that seem to befall you. I trust you will be able to get an appointment as well as a ride to the dentist. I would not recommend Jack Daniels. I know what it would do to me and I would probably fall over and break another tooth. Just saying. Do you have an after hours emergency phone number for the dentist?

Barbie, more enjoyable as well as productive days. We don’t have any opportunity to clear up yard waste with a drop off. We have to bag it, in specially purchased bags, and leave it on the curb on our normal trash day. I believe we have weekly service until the beginning of November but that isn’t that long is it? I am still harvesting something from all of pots on my deck so I am not ready to cut away all of the tomato plants or anything else. That could change in a hurry. 🌻

Jackie, good weather for you right now as well. Yippee, enjoy the days. I cannot believe you were a mischief maker while in school. Okay, maybe I can. 😄 I didn’t get any guidance about planning my life and it definitely shows. My parents just wanted me to get married and work at something. Although everything I said I wanted to pursue seemed to be immediately discouraged, fairly strongly. Almost everyone took typing at my school, boys and girls and those heading to college were funneled into a class called “note taking” which was a way to quickly make notes in lectures etc. It was not shorthand however. I think we also had a short course in ‘speed’ reading. Years of Latin did not make me employable. Oh well. It is all over now. And all in all, I guess it just doesn’t matter. It was good that a teacher gave you some good advice and saw your potential.

Patsy, I am not a cat person as I am allergic to them and actually I have always found them too standoffish for my taste. I do like some fictional cats though (such as Garfield) and enjoy the Kilban cats which is why I did the puzzles. My parents did not like cats at all and neither did my mom’s parents. Just not a cat family. Dogs, dogs, dogs. Keep taking care of yourselves and I hope nothing much goes wrong with your house. Houses do tend to fall apart though. Mine certainly has a multitude of problems. I am doing what my Grandmother did as she lived alone for decades in a house falling apart at the seams. She made do as best she could and let my dad get people to fix the bare essentials to keep her in the house. I don’t suppose John could live with that?

I need to do some online banking and then I am going to fiddle around with cards. I seem to do more fiddling than finishing and sending but then it seems sometimes I make cards, other times I rummage through what I have made to send them along.

All best wishes Sneakers.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️

• linder4866
    Options
    I do know anything about this teapot except the person who posted the photo said he had posted it several days before and it was removed and he didn’t know why. So I grabbed it before it disappeared again. Commemorative teapot.

5skur1fks988.jpeg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :)Lin your veggies are beautiful
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Sunny Sunday here! I was blown away by that teapot. Interesting frame of mind lately. We are a bunch of intriguing folks with complicated backgrounds. I guess that is part of the appeal of the sneakers.

I however, am not being very productive or even positive. The warm weather has returned and it is humid as well. It feels like I am trudging thru warm mud. Time for a glass of ice water with several slices of lemon floating.

Anne: dear friend, does it seem we always have physical problems in groups? This or that breaks down which causes that to malfunction with complications in this area...etc. etc. as the old saying goes, as we age it is patch, patch, patch!

Lin: Katie does have times when she acts rather cat-like. She decides she wants to do something and she simply ignores all our urging and calling. She throws her ears back and continues on as she pleases. Where did I go wrong?

Bob: good for you on the health regimen. It is often ridicules but it takes time to do those things that we really should put first. Our health! Instead, I will do something like dust the furniture. If I made my health a priority, I would still be able to dust if I wanted to....we humans are a strange group.

Off to call our son and daughter, water house plants and fix Tex-Mex salad for dinner.
    Patsy☘️
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    You have a very good point of view PATSY! As one thing breaks down a chain reaction. Me, a tooth pulled out maybe causing a molar crown and post to fall out on the opposite side.

Talking of cats, most of Jillys toys are too big for her tiny mouth. Yesterday we went to the pet store to pick up treats and brought home a green plaid tiny mouse with big pink ears, a long, long tail and a soft green and white fluffy ball on the end. It worked! We played mousy ! Guess who will be getting cat toys this Christmas! I've got the best of both worlds! A dog who plays like a cat! I love cats. Always had a cat until now. I think they are the most beautiful of the animal kingdom with their big eyes.

Have to phone the dentist as soon as he opens. Hey ho, I don't have insurance. That could hurt more than the dentist!

Happy and loving thoughts sent to all you dear Sneakers.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    When I put the dogs out at midnight for a last visit in the garden it was cold and the stars shone brightly but by 7am when I pulled back the bedroom curtains, low clouds and drizzle greeted me! I did take the dogs to the moors but only went so far into the mist then stood and watched them investigate blades of grass until they too decided it was too wet. My plan is/was to have a cup of coffee then get on finishing off the small room ready for the electrician's visit Thursday but something made me check the local auction house website and blow me, there's an auction on Wednesday so I've spent too much time trawling through the catalogue! Coffee finished and catalogue viewed once so I will now concentrate on the planned work and take another look tonight!

Anne, I couldn't wait to get away from the drudgery of typing and shorthand although I was lucky to find jobs that entailed a lot more responsibility when I often found myself doing the bosses work while he galavanted around the country. It was never enough though but that was good motivation to try another career! My guess is you would have survived and earned an income from anything you put your mind to in the circumstances you found yourself because like me, you're a survivor!

Lin, Yesterday's teapot was a new one on me as I've never heard that word before so of course I had to delve into google and reading between the lines imagine it was removed because that man apparently took his race laws from the American model. Too sensitive, especially after recent events!
    You're right, what we did as opposed to what we wanted doesn't matter now. I've always lived my life never looking back with regret, in fact even at this ripe old age determine not to do anything I might regret in the future.... "be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow". Who said that? B)

Sandy, my friends' cat Bobby lives in a barn but is also allowed into their garden room and because they live on a smallholding in the middle of the moors they always make sure he and Ging, their other cat are in at night because they worry about foxes, badgers and the Beast of Bodmin Moor!!

Bob, I do my best to follow my Gran's everything in moderation mantra although this lockdown business had me struggling at times. I can see myself now prowling along the biscuit and chocolate isles at the supermarket putting a pack of this and a pack of that into the trolley while telling myself it was in case I wouldn't be able to get back for some reason. Just excuses of course and a need for some comfort food but I thankfully got over it! Just one small pack of chocolate digestives in the cupboard now and that doesn't see the light of day too often.
    That low flying plane disturbing the priest during mass made me smile as it reminded me of the funeral of an ex RAF pilot I attended a few years ago. The crematorium is situated in a spot overlooking woodland and distant moors and no one was warned beforehand that his son had arranged for a plane to do a flyover as we paused to contemplate the gentleman. The pilot flew low over the trees straight at the picture window and didn't lift over the roof until the last second so of course we all ducked. It did make us laugh because we knew the man in the coffin had been a bit of a hot head flying Spitfires in his youth so would have loved the gesture!

I'd better get on and do what I planned. It's quite dismal outside as the clouds stay low and drizzle continues so no gardening distractions!

Have a good Monday everyone and good luck getting that dental appointment Anne.

Jackie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good morning. Must get tomatoes picked again before cold rain arrives once again.

Another somewhat puzzling teapot today.

“ A Barge teapot. 17 inches tall. 1889.”

bq983iignesd.jpeg

Back later.

Lin
    ❤️❤️
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    I've got an appointment for 10:45 am. Apparently losing a crown is an emergency because any root left in the gum can rot and cause an abscess. So be sure to trot off to the dentist immediately if that happens to anyone.
    My dentist is missing but I've got the petite little lady doctor who was so kind and so deft at whipping my molar out. I'm rather pleased because I really liked her and maybe I've found a new dentist because to be honest my dentist is getting a little long in the tooth if you will pardon the pun!

You are right JACKIE my office "career" sounded much like your earlier career, running after the boss etc. It did improve though when the engineers taught me how to draw engine parts on the computer. However, this didn't bring an increase in salary although my boss tried. Once a secretary always a secretary apparently because there was no description for what I was doing. Oh and I had to rewrite some of the not naturally speaking English lads memos. Hope I wasn't an hindrance there!

Better take Bean out before I go to the tooth factory.

Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Back again.

Anne, wonderful news that you got an appointment this morning. I hope all can be fixed with minimal discomfort to you and your wallet. Hugs. I hope you will be able to let us know when you are home again. And lucky Jilly with new tiny toys. Although she seemed to be quite adept at playing with socks right?

Jackie, it is cold here this morning and we have hazy sunshine right now. My feet are freezing after standing in the wet grass. Had to get off the deck and walk around to stalk ripening cherry tomatoes. Got ‘em! Oh yes, when something catches your eye, like the upcoming sale, you absolutely must check it out immediately. If nothing catches your fancy then you are done with and need not think of it again. If you wait you keep thinking about it. And for me thinking about it to distraction! I have numerous friends who love their cats and each keeps their kitty or kitties as house cats, no time outdoors. One friend and family run their own menagerie with bunnies, a dog, kitties, hamsters, guinea pig and an aquarium of various fish. All in the house although the dog gets out a lot and they bought little fenced enclosures to put up in the grass of their lawn and the bunnies get out once in a while in the summer. No chickens though. Another friend has laying hens and a couple of dogs. ☺️

Patsy, well, there are no rules that we must be productive on a consistent basis. Through the years that I observed my dad’s mother, she never, and I mean never, did anything. She sat and told others what to do. Seriously, she didn’t cook, clean, write letters, work in her garden, do the grocery shopping, nada. My grandpa was a busy man. He even made our afternoon tea. By comparison, you are a whirlwind. I can believe Katie is a spirited dog who has moments of ignoring her humans. She is a character. A lovely one.

Barbie, thank you for the veggie compliment.

Hello Buzz, Diane, Jeri, Bon, and Sandy. 🙋🏼‍♀️

Hoping everyone finds something pleasant at some point in the day.

Lin
    ❤️❤️
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Two and a half hours at the dentist has me finally home. Much worse experience this time. The root had broken in a few places and was inflamed so the extraction wasn't fun. I was dizzy afterwards. Any way I have two choices. An implant, very expensive and a lengthy procedure or I can go a small denture route. Much cheaper so I chose the denture route when the gum heals. Very wise said the dentist. Not a good idea going through an implant at your age (cheek!). I couldn't walk to the car I was so dizzy. Wonder why?
    Anyway home with a little Bean who is so excited to have me back. Mark put her collar and leash on for a pee break and no way was she leaving her mom! She dug her heels in the carpet and he had to carry her out to the garden!
    So I'll be walking around with the "Cumberland Gap" for the next three weeks.
    Sorry to bore you all.
    Anne. 🙃🐶❤️
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Last great weather day for awhile…tomorrow lower temp and 90% chance of rain (my plan is some reading for sure). Walked at gym (5am) and then an hour walk at mall. Peeked inside JCP and customers apparently did some serious buying – so empty is spots…sad. They were a huge anchor and Lord & Taylor will also be closing. No idea what is going to happen long term.

Just finished grilling for lunch – “Grilled skinless chicken thighs, Arugula blend baby lettuce & greens, Broccoli and Cauliflower, Cucumber, Radish, Red onion, Spanish Olives - Salad Sliced (With Minced Pimiento Strips), Gourmet Garden - Italian Herbs - Lightly Dried, Grilled Vegetables and Balsamic Spray.”

75ef4igy6f1u.jpg

Sandy not to worry. Jean always has her phone off at night. We still have our landline so if there was a true emergency we can be called. I try to be considerate of her sleep needs and get my gym clothes out the night before. She laughs and says I am so quiet and leave so early, I could have an affair and she’d never know… LOL…
    My grandson LOVES the Lego movies and has a huge collection…our son-in-law still had all his Lego’s from childhood. We watched the Lego documentary on Amazon with him & it was very interesting for us both… https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Brickumentary-Jason-Bateman/dp/B012E04N2E Glad U had a pleasant day!

Lin – that was an interesting commemorative tea pot… I wonder if the algorithms picked up words that led to the initial removal. I must say, I don’t like all the recent politically correct censoring by some social media outlets.
    Patsy – you are so on the money with “we humans are a strange group.” We all seem to have our own oddities etc. and as long as someone isn’t “over the top” or hurtful to others, I try to accept people as they are… ps – Love Tex-Mex salads!

Jackie – that “all things in moderation” mantra is the way to go. For me, there were always “triggers” on certain things that would “short-circuit” my moderation wiring. For example…if I asked you if you wanted pizza I wasn’t deciding if I was ordering pizza – I was deciding if I needed 2 large if you were going to eat some. LOL. Everyone is so different…fortunately I don’t have a huge sweet tooth…but I always liked fried food etc.

What a great RAF pilot funeral story…and love your description of the setting. If I know ahead of time when I am “leaving” I want to plan something to make people laugh…

Signing off to do some clean-up. TTYL. Bob