Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I think the world is quite aware of Mr. Ts shortcomings and are just sorry that so many poor Americans are saddled with him. Hopefully he will be a bad memory after November. As long as everyone remembers that a certain gent with a ridiculous haircut, a moustache and an equally loud voice wasn't taken seriously when I was a toddler with disastrous world results. Luckily, that fellow had no offspring to follow in his footsteps.
    It's quite chilly here today. Not cold enough for the furnace to come on at 72F but damp and uncomfortable nonetheless. The sky is becoming quite black so I think we will be joining Jackie in bone chilling rainy weather pretty soon. Actually, the electricity went off for a while across lunch. I'm still eating soup so no big deal!
    SANDY in a democracy you don't offend anyone with your own viewpoint. If you do they should try living under a dictatorship where you do as you are told or off to prison or the salt mine with you. Someone said "the only thing we should fear is fear itself".
    Anne
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Finally my feet are up and I can see the bright full moon peering through the window at me. I’ve done as much as I can ready for the electrician but mid afternoon was nearly flattened when I disconnected a heavy electric heater from It’s point and fiddled with a screwdriver to see if the wall bracket came away easily. So easily it threw itself off the wall and was so heavy I couldn’t stop it crashing to the floor. There was no way I could push it back up so had to unscrew every nut, bolt and screw until I could dismantle it! About the same time I had a phone call from the conservatory supplier to advise me they were planning to deliver next Thursday, the one day I had told them I would not be home because of an appointment. The mind boggles!! They were going to get back to me but I heard nothing, unless they tried when the power was off while I unscrewed the heater plug.

Sandy, the few people I know that say they’ve seen the big cat are sensible and not inclined to imagine such a sighting and I’ve twice come upon dead lambs that have been killed and eaten by something large. A presence amongst some rocks spooked George a couple of years ago and the hair on the back of my neck bristled because I felt I was being watched. We both left the area as fast as we could without running! 😳
    That’s a beautiful story about your chat with Robby. Children are so logical and honest about how they feel aren’t they. A moment to treasure!

I could leave a link to today’s BBC website report on how other countries reacted to yesterday’s debate but why depress you. Basically the only loser was the American people!

Time to chill.
    Jackie

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    It is me, back again. It is going to be a strange week ahead. I need to get my head out of the muck of political crazies and tend to the tasks at hand. Mainly trying to come up with an absentee birthday celebration for our son. So far we have a nice desk frame with a portrait of John and me. The inevitable check for his nest egg, a funny irreverent card, and now that’s as far as I have gotten. He has to work non-stop all through october. His birthday is the 11th. I thought of a delivery of a big Bunch of balloons. I can’t find a florist who does that in his town. A delivery of. Birthday cake? Nope! As you can see this requires some serious thought. Remember singing telegrams from years ago?

As we all have recounted, the debates were a monumental waste of time. It was another reality TV show. Not worth the time and effort to sit in front of the TV screen and insult our eyes. Moving on. Vote your preference, hope for the best.
    Patsy☘️
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,090 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Got a time for a tiny grocery delivery when times were added about midnight. All of a sudden it is crazy to schedule. Wooo!

The Morning teapot is a Sadler.

90pgfagcinv2.jpeg

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :) Good morning. I woke up on time after lots of sleep. Dogs are walked and now waiting for their after breakfast walk. I downloaded the data from my pedometer and found that my step count average for September was over 13.000 and higher than the previous two months.

:) The weather will be nice today so I can spend the morning planting iris and tulip bulbs. Jake has a friend coming over for a visit. They will sit on the patio at a distance with masks. They talk on the phone a lot but this will be the first time in person since March.

<3 Barbie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,041 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) Meeting day but nothing much after that. Rain is expected so not sure about my visit with Joe, but will definitely ride my bike. I put marbleized contact paper on my cocktail table that had many knicks but I didn't do a very good job so I ordered some chalk paint which will be delivered tomorrow from my daughter's suggestion. I am not very good at DYI projects, I need Jackie to help me. I think if I had used a different color of contact paper it would have looked better, but will paint instead. Wish me luck.

Barbie, I am glad Jake is getting to see his friend at a safe and comfortable distance. I am amazed at your steps, I am lucky if I get 5K. Unfortunately my bike doesn't register steps on my fitbit.

Lin, good luck on your grocery shopping, I was missing two items yesterday. Teapot is interesting.

Patsy, yes the debates were a bust, voting is the best answer so I hope everyone makes an effort. I will be voting by mail since it is the safest way to go.

Jackie, I am really glad you didn't electrocute yourself yesterday or break a foot. Maybe some of the heavier things should be left to your handymen. Good luck with the electrician today.

Anne, it is very chilly here as well and my heat is on. I just can't believe how fast this year went even with all the isolation. I pray we will get a vaccine by the beginning of next year but in the meantime I am still amazed at the people who do not take this serious.

Time to get something to eat and get ready for meeting. Have a good day. Keep safe.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Good morning. We had a little shower earlier this morning. Nice...it washed the air and things smell wonderful. The sad smoky air from California is temporarily gone. I am still pondering the notion of an air purifier. I know it is a good idea but which one? How big? Where to put it? Research and decisions.

Sandy: I love DIY projects and I usually have no fear of a bad job. If things look rather dodgy...so what? I will do a redo! And I am very messy. John on the other hand is a crazy man. He researches everything and does a lot of planning and is very careful. If things go wrong he abandons the entire concept. You can see we are complete opposites. I must drive him crazy. Poor guy!

Really dreading my doctor appointment for the annual physical. Not because I have anything new wrong, that I know of. We are really spiking here in this little county. New virus cases each day. I feel like going to the doctor’s office is like entering the battlefield. I could get hit by a sniper bullet (virus) when I least expect it. People are walking around without masks, not observing social distance. Why?

Barbie: wonderful job on your exercise regimen. Inspirational really! Our Katie is a lazy bundle of blonde fluff. Her main exercise is several fast and furious games of ball and we keep trying to encourage her to catch a freezbee. In truth, she does catch it but she doesn’t bring it back like with her balls. She hides it or tries to bury it.??? I do core strength exercises and light weights. I know...old lady exercises but it is something, at least.

Lin: it appears you are a night owl like John. The block of time that he is active starts later in the morning but he is still chugging around quite late. Up making your grocery list at midnight! My brain is not working at that time. I love that teapot.

Jackie: your experience with that electric heater was very scary. I had a similar experience when I stupidly decided to wipe off (with a damp dusting cloth) a dusty electric plug that belonged to our cooking strove. It knocked me across the room. It could have finished me off but somehow, no damage. It was a good warning I have never forgotten.

Making veggie burgers tonight for us and a batch of Katie’s chicken, carrots, and green beans.
    Take care, my loves. I suspect we all need each other.
    Patsy☘️
  • linder4866
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hello, it is afternoon already. It is just too chatty for me to recount all the things I had to take care of the last two days. Just trust me, everything took too long. Many passwords and logins have been changed and and little orders have been placed for many things including postage stamps. The web site says to expect an additional three days for processing due to high volume. Really? Or is there no one home to process the orders.

I spoke to several friends this morning. Both conversations were nice and I hadn’t spoken to one friend for weeks. Lunch has disappeared and I have started my heater because it is cold. I have gotten out a couple of things to cover my plants this evening as frost is likely.

Jackie, I hope all is going well with the electrician today and that you did not end up with any after effects from the heater accident. Did you get your callback?

Anne, I also hope you are well and having weather no chillier than here. I don’t know what will happen here next but with all the skullduggery the outcome of this election is definitely totally unknown. Canada will need to take care, hordes of unhappy U.S. citizens may try to come North.

Barbie, so very consistent in your walking. I hope you get the bulbs planted.

Patsy, I can understand your reticence at making a trip to the doctor. I guess that is my feeling any time I am anywhere around any people. All looks the same in the world but yet it is so different with the invisible marauder virus on the loose. I was fortunate to get a telehealth appointment this year. Just the dentist was enough for me.

Sandy, we had very overcast skies late morning but no rain and now the clouds are breaking up. Good luck on your project. I am not a bit handy and take on no home improvement projects. Good luck on your table and the garage door sill.

And please let me explain. I am not a night owl. I am a person with a very disturbed sleep pattern. I go to sleep and rest well for a couple of hours and after that it becomes a battle. I had put together a grocery order early in the day but could not place it as there were no open delivery spots. New spots were to open during the day but I never did find one until VERY late in the day/evening. I know much about tv programs from 2am onward. I post to Facebook, correspond with friends on messenger if anything is there. I would prefer to sleep.

Wishing everyone well. Waving to Buzz, Jeri, Diane and Bob 🙋🏼‍♀️

Lin
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Besides the usual, I’ve been busy w/ final baby photo edits. The parents picked a few dozen and want all sizes (wallets to 8x10’s).

A 50-something nephew, left a Harley-Davidson pullover wrapped in a package with a long letter on my door step yesterday. He said some kind words, spoke of his own extreme weight battle and the byproduct of depression at times. It was a deep letter, I won’t go into. He plans to try again to lose the 100lbs + that bother him. A wonderful guy all the way around (just like my bros-in-law was) & I would do anything for him! The pull-over was given to him, by my brother-in-law (age 63), shortly before he died after a 4 yr battle with brain cancer.

Told him I still had my motorcycle license and might ride again when the pandemic ends. I did end up sending him a pic of me wearing the sweatshirt (Harley photo-shopped into the scene w/ me looking all serious ha ha ha). See photo LOL.

kuz0gqt2a565.jpg

Rec’d a message a few hours ago that a family friend (age 64) died this morning. A couple weeks ago he was diagnosed with a lymphoma and then had diverticulosis issues w/ bleeding requiring hospitalization. Another harmless soul that would never hurt anyone. His wife (and also a friend) died in 2018 at age 60 (cancer). Feel bad for the 3 grown (but young) children.

Seems there is always a daily reminder of how lucky to be alive we are…

Sandy – sounds like a plan going forward with the blinds. I can’t sleep without a fan, no matter if windows open or closed…it’s the “white sound” I have been accustomed to since childhood.

Jackie – Yes, it was nice to chill. I managed to at least get some reading accomplished, but then I got hooked watching the 1949 movie - The Fountainhead with Gary Cooper, Patricia Neal and Raymond Massey. I am a classic movie junkie….

Like I said before about your writing – you noted “circles of cow poo” and most people I know would phrase it differently (LOL). Your talk of dogs reminds me of a post this morning by a niece letting us know it was National Black Dog Day (3 guesses what she owns). I told her when I see the term “Black Dog” I immediately think of Winston Churchill, if you know what I mean.

Hope that bean casserole was as good as it smelled… bet it was delicious!

Lin – I hope everything worked out with the bank eventually.

Jeri – Great group photo with the kids. I caught the Minion and University tee – but couldn’t make out what it said after “Bacon is my ?” ps… you look lovely with them.

Well – time to meet up with Jean. I promised to finish watching "JL Family Ranch: The Wedding Gift" a Hallmark move – with her. The least I can do, since she understands my love of TCM.

I’ll close with tonight’s dinner pic… Bob

hadzuba8pqn9.jpg

• linder4866
    Options
    When I see “Black Dog” I immediately think Led Zeppelin. 🤗

Just saying.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Bloomin’ heck, what a day it was with the electrician. He didn’t arrive until 11am and we then walked round the rooms pencil marking where new sockets were needed. It didn’t help that I asked him to add sockets now rather than on completion because it would be some time before the plastering was done and I need to be able to plug in all sorts of electrical items. Sooo, lots of hammer drilling of the solid granite stone walls, dust, rubble, cups of tea, wind and rain through open windows and no chance to get to my kitchen for food, but I enjoyed an unplanned fasting day and this morning have lost 2 lbs. Every cloud......!
    He left just before 9pm and I helped him carry what tools I could lift to his car then threw a few logs on the fire and decided the dust on EVERY surface and piles of rubble could wait until today. I slept well apart from being woken up once by horrendous leg cramp that made me yell as I shot out of bed!

It’s a foul day, cold, windy and wet but I must walk the dogs but once I’ve returned and faced the mess and chaos will come back and catch up properly. I can see Bob’s delicious meal jumping out at me just above my post so will also have to pop to the farm shop for fresh produce because it looks irresistible!

I’m guessing what news is going to be inflicted on us all day so will find the radio station called Gold the electrician had on all day and drift back to the ‘60s!!

Happy Friday.
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Hello. So Mr T has tested positive for the virus. Really? Or false news to keep him under wraps until after the crucial vote! If he has tested positive at his advanced age sympathy sent, if not, enjoy your sabbatical Mr T. I don't envy anyone who gets this beastly virus especially after our loss of cousin in law Roy.

Grocery delivery day so must move before the ever early Dorio arrives!

JACKIE what a marathon for you! Congrats on the 2lb loss, but what a way to achieve it!

Very chilly day here. Time to dig the woollies out. Wonder if they make woollie or flannel masks for the reddening noses?

Anne.

• linder4866
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hello. We did have light frost this morning. I have removed all the covers now and we will see how the little plant people come along. ☺️ I am off to the post office and the pharmacy a bit later. That is my fun for the day.

Bob, the order for baby pictures sounds very large! I thought everyone dealt in digital photos that can be forwarded everywhere now rather than actual paper. Wow, that is interesting. I am old enough to have developed B&W film in the bathroom of an old farmhouse we lived in for a few years. Lots of dragging things out and putting things away again. Haaaa. It was fun and I remember how excited I was when I made contact sheets. I think almost all of those are now thrown out. What a great pullover and you look fierce in that photo (🙃). Your meal looks scrumptious, as always. I am butting in but I think the shirt says “Bacon is My Bro.” Jeri will let you know the correct answer but that was my assumption when I was looking at the photo.

Jackie, my gosh, what a day (and evening) you had with the electrician. Apparently not the kind of person who quits work at 5 or 6pm. I am sorry you house was put in such disarray. It is a lot of work to straighten things up again. I hope you have no more leg cramps.

Anne, I hope you have a good grocery order and that your friend Dorio is the person who delivers it. And I am certain that any type of mask that you would want is for sale somewhere. The mask market is huge! I really cannot believe people are getting a coordinating mask for each outfit they wear.

Sandy, did you get any rain yesterday? We did not and it is sunny today. Maybe some rain tomorrow I guess which is ruining weekend plans for several families I know. And so goes the weather on any weekend right? Did you work on any DIY projects yesterday?

Patsy, I am reading a book where Standard Poodles as well as other breeds are a part of the plot. I don’t know why but I always think of your Karie whenever they talk about Bud who is quite the character, in a happy way.

Barbie, hello, still working on bulbs?

Jeri and Diane, waving hello🙋🏼‍♀️

I was having trouble sleeping and was awake from about 11:30 to 2:30 last night. So I got the first blast of the news about Covid in the White House. NBC had interrupted regular programming for continuing coverage as they call it. Then I switched to the regular overnight ABC news. They really had nothing to say. Jumped on every word anyone uttered, speculated on everything and everyone who had any contact with the President. I was quite struck that there really was little actual information but they were whipping up things into a frenzy. No wonder we are all fit to be tied.

Lin

❤️❤️
  • linder4866
    Options
    A puzzle from yesterday
    4mdhizpqflcu.jpeg

Today’s tea set, no information provided
    narnaj9koj6u.jpeg

Lin
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Hi, me again and I've had the most tremendous piece of luck! Maybe my recent pattern is changing?

Dorio brought the groceries, took them into the kitchen and took off after asking how I was. There seemed to be a lot of bags. Anyway upon unloading, all my groceries were exactly as ordered but I had two bags over. One contained a large turkey breast and the other two big bags of frozen breaded shrimp and two big bags of frozen veggies. I called GG and explained I'd received someone else's order as well as my own but didn't want to cause problems for the driver who is a very nice and helpful young man. The lady on the phone assured me no probs for Dorio because "mistakes happen" and because of the Corvid they couldn't retrieve the food so please keep them free of any charge! What! I checked the prices and the two bags are worth $55 plus tax. I've never had that sort of luck before and I'm quite looking forward to thanksgiving!

Anne 🦃😀❤️🐶❤️
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,041 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) Waking up and checking my phone I was more than shocked to hear Trump and his wife had covid. Also saw that Melania was on tape with very negative talk about Christmas. Quite an interesting time in America today. I don't want to see anyone die from this virus, but I do hope it makes them realize that this virus is serious, him and his supporters.

Lin, that set reminds me of one I had when I was married the first time, I loved entertaining in my formal dining room and had a china cabinet filled with lovely things. We did have rain yesterday but the sun is out today even though chilly. No DIY projects yesterday but today when my chalk paint arrives Bryanna will come and help me paint my table.

Anne, yes many theories coming out of this news, but many news reports seem to be saying he does indeed have covid with mild symptoms. Although I would not put anything past him.
    Good luck with your groceries.

Jackie, good grief Charlie Brown what a mess you are going through. Did you get the outlets put in where you want them? Good job on losing two pounds but you must be starving today.

Bob, your meals are just so great, neither of my husbands cooked so Jean is a very lucky woman. Looking very tough in your photo! lol

Hello to everyone and have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Lin – Thanks… just because of your post I started the afternoon with….
    https://youtu.be/6tlSx0jkuLM

With regards to photos, I think you’re right re: digital for sharing etc ...but there are those that still want detailed quality with specific photo paper texture (watercolor, linen, satin, lustre, pearl etc.), cover style (padded, leather, photo etc.) and so on. In the past, some wedding albums would cost “me” several hundred depending on what the person wanted. But no doubt technology has had an impact. I always under-promised and over delivered. Never had a single complaint. Re: the pullover – can’t be a biker with a smile LOL. Thanks for the bacon/bro clarification.

Jackie, Jackie, Jackie – such strong language… “Bloomin’ heck” LOL. Sounds like an episode for TV. Congrats on that 2 lb loss…. Well done with the loss and positive “silver lining” attitude.

Sandy – That’s me “Mr. Tough Guy” – unless you really know me, in which case – not so much (but at least I know it. Thanks on the meal comment… todays lunch was - .) Baked haddock, Jumbo shrimp, Riced cauliflower, lemon, Grilled Vegetables (Eggplant, Zucchini, Red Bell Peppers, Yellow Bell Peppers, Yellow Onions, Red Onions).

dfm12lrhe2of.jpg

As for Jean, I am a lazy so-and-so compared to her. It’s my fortune she thinks I do a lot. One of these days, I’ll have to tell you a funny story when we 1st got married.

Time for coffee! TGIF Bob
  • pinkperil
    Options
    I popped the dogs in my car and no surprises when I arrived at the car park on the moors to see no other vehicles. A howling gale made it difficult to walk without staggering although the dogs trotted along happily so perhaps I need shorter legs! On the return walk the wind was against my back and took half the time. 💨💨. The farm shop was busy but still well organised to avoid getting up close and personal so I had time to pick up what I needed in my own time. Yesterday’s starvation diet had me eyeing Cornish pasties in the freezer section and I quickly succumbed and thoroughly enjoyed it at lunch.

I must have emptied the vacuum cleaner 3 or 4 times as I cleaned the mess at home and also filled a couple of buckets with rubble so things are getting back to normal, until the next visit from the electrician. That’s right, he hasn’t finished!

Haha Bob, are you picking up on my British irony in saying the opposite to what I’m really wanting to post? Yes, bloomin’ heck was definitely an understatement but I kept it clean! Same with the circles of cow poo. LOL
    That was a sweet gesture your nephew made passing on the Harley Davidson sweater and a positive step in acknowledging his bouts of depression. Hopefully you can encourage him in his efforts to lose weight and perhaps open up more often. I’m sorry for another loss your family had to deal with so soon after the death of his wife.
    So I missed black dog day. I’d personally prefer the real thing to Churchill’s battle!

Sandy, your Charlie Brown comment made me smile so I dealt with the chaos in a better frame of mind than anticipated. The electrician did message later and apologised for the dust layer! Just 2 more places requiring sockets and they will also need to be drilled into plaster and mortar but the electrician also messaged he will bring more dust sheets next time.
    Wow, so you had a tea set similar to Lin’s choice today. It’s beautiful but I’m guessing you don’t possess it now.

What a treat Anne... bags of extra goodies and food you like. I’m glad Dorio won’t be getting into trouble because he is so good and sounds an extra special delivery man.

Loving the Waxwing jigsaw Lin as well as the silver set. Your news coverage sounds as annoying as ours, talking forever about nothing in particular and creating as much hype as they can. Best avoided in the middle of the night!

Nearly midnight so I’ll bid you all a good night.
    Jackie

• Gawanne35
    Options
    Well my curtain wooden pole and wooden bracket unfixed itself and came crashing to the ground, so just like JACKIE a little bit of plastering and painting required, but not on her scale!

Black dog day made me think it was created especially for my Bean. Otherwise it was news to me.

And now I'm feeling guilty about Mr. Trump and sincerely hope he's okay. Boris the British prime minister had the stuffing knocked out of him, he's never seemed quite the same since his bout, but maybe it could be living with a baby.

Frost for us overnight AND a big harvest moon I believe.
    Anne.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :) I danced in the morning and was at Zoom meetings most of the rest of the day yesterday but today I will finish planting tulip and iris bulbs and water them.

<3 Barbie