Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm having my brekky and shaking my head at the so called university genius's who are wondering why very few live at home over 80s are rushing off to get vaccinated. It's finally dawned on them that the over 80s vaccination clinics are being held in far away churches and few over 80s drive or have sons like my Mark able or willing to transport them. This enlightening bit of information was on the radio as I choked on my cup of tea. I tell you, as my generation once said, "some mothers do have them".

I Wondered what had happened to you JACKIE yesterday. I had you gambolling with the lambs!
    All for now
    Anne.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Blink is behind me…and it was a nice sunrise in the parking lot.

2pe7ks8qqnx6.jpg

Jean will be headed to my sisters for a virtual shower this morning. So glad to escape that stuff. Took a nice ride to Waterloo yesterday and bought a “cheap” camo tee. We were invited to a great great nephews birthday party at the end of this month with a camo theme… Personally, never been into camo but what the heck – Jean and I got matching tee’s like any respectable old couple. LOL

Sandy – When it comes to church, I pretty much like it as a reflective time. I want to be able to meditate and hear a great homily. As for swimming… I will wear a swim suit a T-shirt. I was amazed at my daughters last annual 4th of July party. For the 1st time in 15 yrs I jumped into her pool. I thought I was in better shape (stamina) than I was… had a few moments but faked being ok. Had a great time with the uncle of my son-in-law – only 7 months later he would die unexpectedly of a heart attack in his late 50’s or early 60’s. I may not like getting older, but have accepted it and plan to push the limits. There was a time, when I didn’t feel this way. I can’t even explain the change…but the fearful me has been replaced by the “go for it” me. Never saw that coming.

Can’t tell you how proud I am of my daughter and her family. I never post anything on social media etc., but in my heart I know they are better than I was at parenting… and so I guess I couldn’t ask for more. I wasn’t bad…but they are truly amazing as parents and the kids love one another so much.

Lin – Definitely been blessed with some great weather. As for eyes, green is beautiful… mine are hazel. My son-in-law is a great dad, and the girls love the whole dance event. I think more so during this pandemic.

Jackie – Hope your MFP problems get resolved… as they say…been there done that… LOL

Anne – it is amazing the amount of “academia” that espouses “wonderment” at the obvious.

Have a great day everyone! Bob
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :) We have a provision in our will about who will take our pets when we die. It includes some money for their care. They are like our children and must be taken care of.

:) Yesterday was beautiful but windy enough to make me decide to skip the weeding and use the time for answering an email from a line dance friend.

:) Our friends who were going to visit on Saturday and cancelled still haven't called to reschedule.

:) My morning walking friend is being treated to a visit from her daughter and son in law from Idaho so she's skipping our morning walks. The dogs miss her and I'm using the time alone to listen to podcasts. Yesterday morning when Sasha and I walked alone, Sasha led me directly to the friend's house and onto her porch. She was still asleep so she didn't know we were there.

:'( It's sad to think that there are many older people who have no one to drive them to something as important as getting the vaccine.

<3 Barbie

• Annsie35
    Options
    Just to let you know that Mikes tested negative. He's Back at work today and I'll be driven by Mark for my jab I guess on Thursday afternoon. Incidentally, it would be three buses to this place and three buses back.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    We were out longer than anticipated because we met a neighbour who had a lot to say about a family that has made a fortune with their groundwork business and are buying every available piece of land in the area to build houses. George, Betty and I stood patiently listening to his complaints until a huge tractor came round the corner and we had to push into a hedge to avoid getting squashed! Money talks was my only comment when he let off steam about local planners!
    We have low cloud and a keen wind but I’ll do my best to ease an old fascia board off the back wall of my kitchen ready to replace with a new black plastic one.

Yesterday my neighbour Debs finished painting my back wall while I stood on the bottom rungs of her ladder. By the time we finished around 4.30 I was frozen through so lit a fire, made myself tea and sat toasting my feet for an hour watching the first episode of Line of Duty on catch up. It’s very good Anne and they’ve cleverly done with the team what you’d expect after the way series 5 finished. As ever, I think I know who’s up to no good but it’s almost too easy to guess so I’m bound to be wrong!
    If you watch The Unforgotten we have a new series running at the moment and last night’s penultimate episode had me literally gasping the way it finished... I’ll say no more!

In the morning I had spent an age sorting through documents and emails trying to collate and send to a finance company. Some were on the new iPad and others on my old Windows7 desktop and what a nightmare that seemed. There might have been an easier way but I ended up emailing copies to myself from one email address to another and hopefully can attach them to an email I will send to the financial people later today. Modern technology is not always kind to me!!

What a stunning sunrise you captured Bob... a perfect start to any day! I’ll have to look up camo because you lost me! 🤔

I’d better get out with the borrowed crowbar and see what damage I can do to the old fascia. Not sure I’ll be there long as I can feel a cold blast around my feet from the cat flap as I sit in the garden room.

Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,132 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) Sunny now, but rain expected. I ordered groceries for pickup today instead of tomorrow so I didn't have to go out if I didn't want to. Sure enough Lisa just texted and asked if I could come early. Hopefully, my groceries will be done early as they usually are and I should just make it at the time she wants me. Fingers crossed.
    I walked three miles yesterday in a beautiful forest preserve only to gain a pound this morning. I am beginning to think if I don't eat enough I gain, is that possible???

I don't have time to answer all of you but know that I agree with all you said. Have a good day and keep safe.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Is camo another shorter name for camouflage BOB as in army gear? I'm curious as well. Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,191 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say hello. It has been raining but right now we are getting a little break with more rain and possibly storms late this afternoon and evening.

I have been doing laundry and cleaning out some ancient CDs and also some old clothes. Slow going as I have sinus issues again. Headache, uncooperative sinuses and pain in both ears. More than you wanted to hear. 🙂 This needs to go away before my tax appointment tomorrow as I need my wits about me even though I am not doing the calculating.

Anne, I am glad Michael’s test was negative.

Sandy, I hope your schedule worked out.

Bob, green camo or desert camo?

Jackie, continually busy. Am not certain there are easy ways to deal with these systems. I would probably have done the same thing utilizing email. The other thing I have done is print out what is needed and then scan the printouts as a PDF file to a memory device. Then I attach the PDF to the email I need to send.

Barbie, I have the provisions in my will for any pet(s) I might have. It makes me feel better to think if I do get another pet that I won’t have to worry about leaving them totally on their own.

Patsy, best wishes sent along to you. I hope you and Katie and John are thriving.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

ez2qh410jan3.jpeg
    7u6ia5br3un6.jpeg
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello! A beautiful sunny but coolish day. It is diffidently spring. Early spring.

The thing I have come up with regarding the vaccine clinics is that no matter where the clinic is...there will necessarily be folks who must travel to get their shots. It isn’t possible for the clinics to be handy for everyone. Ours is fairly close but at the fair ground expo building. It is a huge unheated building with concrete floors. We must stand in extremely long lines, then sit or stand for 15 minutes to see if we have any adverse reaction. By then, the adverse reaction could be cold frozen feet, aching back from standing. All in all, we were still very glad to have gotten the shot, however uncomfortable we were at the time.

John is working on taxes, picking up supplies from Costco and I am fixing veggie lasagna, enough for two meals. I am also cleaning bathrooms and last but not least, I must help our late musician friend’s family with large portraits and photo posters showing him in various activities. This will be used at the celebration of life to be later in the summer. John will be doing the photoshopping, I will do the artwork and layout.

Still watching the Crown. For us Americans, this is a peek into a very foreign lifestyle. Not even in our Victorian times did we manage such an elegant way of life. Even if this series is pure fantasy, it is interesting. Engaging. We have Grantchester waiting next as well as Line of Duty. It seems our entertainment has a British theme these days.

Lin: the tea pot did speak to me. Cooking for family, trying to provide food that is healthy and delicious is a worthy goal. I cook for Katie, just like Anne and Jackie cook for their fur babies. Bless their fuzzy little hearts!

Must finish this mug of coffee and get to the bathroom cleanup.
    Patsy☘️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    A grey drizzling morning so it’s back to bed after breakfast for the furries!
    vaur3evqaxd3.jpeg

Porridge for me while I wait for some enthusiasm for a walk from Betty and George.

Happy Wednesday
    Jackie
  • Annsie35
    Options
    We're in for a rainy day, BUT I spotted a migrant thrush back home and digging in my less than perfect lawn for grubs AND the tulips are peeking through! "The flowers that bloom in the spring tra la."

PATSY, I loved Line of Duty so much (even if it is about a mythical police force) that I'm watching all the series again as we wait for episode six. Up to episode four for tonight's viewing.

You are right about the places of location for the vaccine because it has to be stored at below freezing therefore doctor offices don't have the storage facilities, but I do think they could have chosen a more central location for our large town instead of the outback. We do have a hockey arena in the middle of town for instance. Anyway, whatever the reason I guess it will be fixed for the next sixties to seventies group and us VERY ancients will just have to totter off with our walkers, walking sticks, wheelchairs, whatever or stay home. The fittest survive. Your experience was pretty daunting as well. Is your second shot in the same location? The good news here is (sort of) maybe not such a long wait for us who have transport or still drive. There is talk of opening pharmacies now because a lot of very aged people of Asian descent have the added problem of language skills, grandparents over to live with their children who work. I guess the over eighties are the guinea pigs who highlight the first problems.

JACKIE, Bean took one look at the gloom outside and joins George, Betty and Brady in bed after having her chicken breakfast.

Me, I'm off for a shower before the expected - and unusual for this time of year - thunder and lightning starts.

Hugs to all, Anne and Bean.
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Michael's very upset. His friends (Rob) dad had a heart attack a few days ago. He seemed to be much better and out of intensive care, but sadly died during the night. Rob and his family are like a second family for Mike so it's really knocked the stuffing out of him. Robs dad was Irish and in his early seventies.
    Sorry to be the bearer of sad news but for once the virus wasn't to blame.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    What a sad day for Michael and his friends. These things can knock us flat. Best wishes to him as they try to recover.

Well, my tax appointment is over. I am unhappy. I owe additional tax and estimates are going up again for this year. Must review my spending one of these days. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Another gray day. The rain has stopped for now but the wind will be picking up, temperature is falling, not a nice day at all.

Sleeping sounds like a nice idea. But probably won’t happen today.

I finished another birthday card yesterday. Two more in the planning stage. No firm ideas at this point.

As far as the locations of the vaccine clinics, I have no opinion except it would have been nice to be able to get an appointment at the one about a mile away from me rather than the Northern most suburbs. Oh, and a friend did some checking on taxi/Uber rates and a mutual friend, who is no longer driving, would have an out of pocket cost of $120 for a round trip to the vaccine clinic where she was able to get a shot. That is also insane. Obviously not in her neighborhood.

Jackie, I love the photo of your fur kids. So incredibly comfortable. Ahhhhhh. I am not sure I am ever that comfortable!

Well, I must get going. I plan to take some cards down to the post office to mail.

Some boxes to crush and I hope to think of an appropriate idea for the next birthday card on my list.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

d6i3rlmx0afx.jpeg
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,132 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! Dreary day here with high winds. I was hoping to stay home today but I also have to go to the post office for some stamps. I have birthday and Easter cards to get out. My son was throwing out a coffee pot that I snatched from his garbage. (no judgement) It is a Cuisinart and has a timer so I wanted it. His complaint was the warming plate is rusted which I am working on to fix. I am thinking grill paint, anyone have any suggestions? For now I am using it because it doesn't affect the coffee.
    Babe called yesterday and left a message they are sending a therapist to make him exercise to make him start moving. He didn't sound happy about it but I hope it works.

Lin, sorry to hear you had to pay on taxes and get a raise on your estimated. Since you don't get a regular paycheck you can't change your withholdings so I would talk to a finance person unless you already have one. They are opening more and more vaccinations places around me, so soon it should be easy for everyone to have one fairly close to them.

Annsie, so sorry about Michaels friend's father, it is so hard when unexpected. Seems like most of us are having a gloomy day which doesn't help our moods.

Jackie, great photo, is there any room for you when you are sleeping?

Patsy, I wish John lived close to me, he could probably replace the warming plate.

Time has once again gotten away from me and I still have to address the cards. Enjoy your day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Gloomy day here as well. Rain and chilly. A thin fog that drifts in and out. A good day for wonderful mellow music and soup for tonight.

It is one of those days....little mishaps and breakdowns. Nothing really big or super important. Just annoying. Speaking of coffee pots, Our coffee pot went crazy and perked the coffee out onto the cabinet. The filter and basket were full of grounds so a cleanup and clean out was necessary. Kind of of a crazy way to start the day.

I talked to our daughter yesterday. Ouch! Not sure about this. She says she might be suffering those long haul Covid symptoms. Brain fog, forgetfulness, and really disturbing...her hair is falling out in clumps! I wish we could just storm the front door armed with cleaning supplies and good clean healthy food, and a arm full of flowers. we all need to do what Sandy did. Spring houseclean in one day. In truth, we have way too much stuff. It makes upkeep much more difficult. No where to donate or even throw stuff away. I must do some creative thinking on this.

Before I do much else, I will hit the dungeon and do my exercises. I drifted away from my regular regimen and that way lies madness! Lifting light weights and exercise does help the arthritis. It is on beyond boring. Thank goodness for James Brown and all the do-wop music. 🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶

Lin: we also have estimated quarterly taxes. It feels like we are really paying a lot of taxes. And we are. How can this be? We are not part of the rich and famous crowd.

Anne: I totally understand how Mike is feeling. Losing close friends is a special kind of grief. We are constantly dealing with that in the loss of our musician friend. Musicians have a special bond because they must rehearse and work together to perform. Then they need supportive appreciative audiences. We were in that group. It feels like a punch in the gut when we listen to any music because he played all kinds of music, and did a lot of arranging. And music is an important element in our life. We do miss that suave gent with a twinkle in his eye.

Jackie: when Katie jumps on the bed, all sleeping stops! She likes to lie east-west. We lie north-south. You can see the problem straight away! And she snores! And she passes gas! And she stomps around in a circle to get comfortable, which can take forever. Who growls louder....Katie or John?
    Sending lots of love,
    Patsy☘️
  • Annsie35
    Options
    And some good news. It can't have been just me having a moan about long distance travel to clinics for car-less old folk! Toronto is already changing things to make life easier which means our town will follow. Too late for me and my age group but wonderful for all the young things in the 70-79 group. Mentioned on the evening news - more accessible clinics with buses doing the rounds to pick people up and bring back etc. Much more civilized! LIN if I used a taxi the cost would be about the same as your friends.
    Jilly Bean sleeps exactly like Katie PATSY. She's so tiny but when she stretches out those wee legs I find myself clinging to the edge of my double bed. I'm trying so hard to break this habit, she has a lovely comfy dog bed with a baby blanket but to no avail. I swear she can tell the time. At 10pm on the dot up go the paws on my knee, little face grinning (honest she grins at me I swear with mouth open) "it's bedtime Anne" sort of thing. Great big me and I'm ruled by 9 lbs of fluff!
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Bob, I happened to see this product in amongst the Whole Foods online offerings. I have never heard of a dried vegetable spaghetti product before.

SOLELY Organic Dried Spaghetti Squash, 1.76 oz | One Ingredient: Spaghetti Squash | Naturally Gluten Free | Non-GMO | Low Carb and Keto-Friendly | Quick and Easy to Prepare

Had to share this before I lost it.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Way past my bedtime but wanted to catch up with posts. Lucky me... the clouds lifted mid morning so I ended up enjoying glorious warm sunshine for the rest of the day. Of course this meant housework went out the window but instead I weeded and planted a couple of new editions.

I do struggle to find a small spot in my own bed at times. Betty is a lump and difficult to move once she settles, Brady the same but sleeping on my bed is a new thing for George and usually he soon moves back to the spare room after attacking my feet if I dare to move! Sounds like Katie and Jilly rule the roost too!!

Patsy, on our news this evening there was a report on research recently carried out that shows this long Covid condition is mostly amongst white middle aged women with underlying health problems and scientists are now trying to figure out why. Perhaps not surprising if your daughter is still struggling. I didn’t realise that apparently 70% of people who ended up in hospital have the condition several months on.

Anne, when Britain began vaccinations we had the same problems with long distances to travel. The same with testing, just took time to get logistics organised but the NHS wanted to at least offer a vaccination to those who could travel. I’m sure once Ontario gets their required vaccines delivered better plans will be put in place. Chatted today to my Canadian friend living up the road from you in London and she’s not at all impressed with her Federal government and says the provinces are all doing their own thing so there’s no uniformity. She just turned 70 and thinks it will be some time before she gets her jab but her husband has had his because he volunteers at blood donation clinics.

It seems to be the week of the coffee pot doesn’t it. Mum’s perculator often pumped coffee out from under its lid if I didn’t stand over it and I’ve seen a replacement online that heats on the hob that will definitely have to be watched carefully!
    Sandy, perhaps give the rust on your “new” coffee pot a rub down with something like sandpaper then look for a little pot of heat resistant paint if you really feel it needs it.

Crikey, just noticed the time so must get to bed. George already had his last garden visit and went upstairs but not sure if he went into my room or the spare!

Jackie 😴
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Happy Thursday everyone but especially Anne getting your first vaccination out of the way. If I'd had time I would have sent you a t-shirt to wear since Margaret Keeenan wore a special Christmas one for her first in the world!
    yzj7jnfb0flr.jpg

Mark will take good care of you and before you know it you'll be home with Jilly and a cuppa! I'll be thinking of you. <3

Cooler today but we are seeing a flash of occasional sunshine. I've already had a visit from our local electric supply planner to look at the loose cable and he's booked me in for a visit from engineers in about 6 weeks. I'm still sorting finances with my bank and the financial services people but think I'm getting there.

Time for the mundane.... mucking out the hens!

Back later. Stay safe everyone.
    Jackie

• linder4866
    Options
    txaojeovuwj9.jpeg

Barbie, sending all good wishes your way today.

Lin