Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Harry is not the sharpest pencil in the box, even his mother voiced concerns about how he would get by in life generally so no surprises he’s been manipulated to leave the royal household by his strong willed wife while still wishing to use title to make mega bucks. My gut instinct about the lady is similar to Bob’s. All a bit unsavoury to me but the lad has always been easily led in the wrong direction. Who could forget his party piece dressed in a nazi outfit! Our media is aware the majority of Brits didn’t approve of them washing their dirty linen in public nor the inconsistencies in their stories so thankfully don’t bother to cover them anymore. Phillip is back home so all is well at Buck Palace!!

Anne, I can only imagine that care facility didn’t follow guidelines to continue using masks and hand gel because as Sandy commented, we should be doing so for the coming year even when vaccinated. None of them offer 100% protection so best to keep covered up. Apparently flu was non existent this past Winter, nor were there the usual nasty viral bugs about so wearing a mask in crowded places is going to be the norm from now on for me.

Lin, my good friend Pat lives in Gloucestershire and would be delighted to have you stay if you timed a visit around blooming snowdrops so never say never!!

The winter lockdown has definitely been more isolating for us all than last summer when we could at least commune with nature. Birdsong, the scent of a flower, a stunning sunrise were what kept me sane last year and I can definitely feel an awakening now those same birds have begun nest building and buds are appearing on branches so I think mentally we follow the seasons like little fluffy sparrows!

Way past my bedtime.
    Jackie
  • Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Goodnight! We are thinking bed time over here. I'm strangely sleepy at 9:30. Must be eye strain trying to read tax forms. I made a start at least.
    I rarely bet, but I give the couple locked in their mansion 5 years at most.
    Yawn, Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    A bright day and the annoying cold wind seems to have dropped away so I’ll head for the seafront in Plymouth while my car is serviced.
    Back later 😘
    Jackie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,001 Member
    Options
    :) The landscaper came yesterday and gave us a quote for delivering and spreading bark on a wide space between us and the neighbor. I wanted to do this last spring but at the beginning of the pandemic we agreed to stay away from everyone so I got no bark delivered. This year we'll have the landscaper spread the bark in the big area and then leave us four yards of bark to spread around the rest of the yard.

:) The space between our house and next door was finally established when first the former neighbor put a rock line at the edge of what he thought was his yard and the manager of the park agreed that we could consider that the property line. I have wanted to clean up that area for awhile and now I can do it (or actually have it done). This is the area where we had the three maple trees planted in the fall.

:) There are several homes in our neighborhood that have put up fences between houses. We are so grateful that our new neighbor is not like that and is instead happy about our new maple trees and will enjoy how clean and tidy and weed free the bark will be.

:) The bark won't be delivered until April 9 which is earlier than the bark I got in years past, so I am very excited.

:) About the vaccine. We are almost two weeks past the second jab and have no intention of going anywhere or doing anything different in the foreseeable future.

<3 Barbie

• Annsie35
    Options
    Although cold this morning we climb to plus seven by this afternoon.
    It was a long strange winter wasn't it and we've all come out of it fairly unscathed. Actually we've all done rather well so a pat on the back for us all. I think quite a few of us kept the garbage waste boys very busy carting away unwanted items and cardboard boxes from online orders. And we all seem to have dodged the dreaded flu and nasty colds.
    The snowdrop photo was absolutely beautiful. Alas my few didn't survive the Canadian winter so it was doubly pleasurable seeing such a crowd. Of course, the daffodils grow like dandelions in the U.K. but oh so pretty seeing them grow by the roadside,
    So apart from starting the tax chore yesterday nothing to report except a rather nice email from my cousin Helen in Australia. If you remember her son in law suddenly died a year ago. Well her daughter Claire invited all the people who supported her this past year to a restaurant for a sort of fun remembrance meal. 12 people in all including three of Dons daughters school friends. She made up a quiz of all Dons quirks which Helen said caused much hilarity as people remembered and it all finished off with a bottle of champagne. I thought what a lovely way to remember him rather than sitting at home grieving.
    Enjoy Plymouth Jackie and hope today is good for all of us,
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    y5dss7go34dt.jpeg

The Royal William Yard built about 200 years ago. Mostly restaurants and apartments today but everything still locked down so very quiet. My lovely friend Mollie who died about 15 years ago lived just round the corner before this place was renovated. A group of us friends scattered her ashes on the water in a howling gale coming off the sea so I always imagined she landed back in her beloved garden!

Lucky family in Australia Anne. They did the right thing from the start of the pandemic and saved themselves the worry of a national lockdown. New Zealand the same.

Barbie, I’m delighted to read that you are able to get back to the gardening you love. Funny how excited we now get over the simple things of life.

The wind is picking up so jacket zipped and hat on! About 2 more hours before I collect my car so will wander into town where it’s sheltered.
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,199 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Happy St. Patrick’s Day☘️ I have a bit of green on today and plan to watch a celebration online later on.

Yesterday I was disappointed that the gent I had hoped to hear and see on the Zoom meeting didn’t show up, there was a substitute. Much practical information for farmers but interesting to me to see the methods used to drill cereal rye in the crop stubble and the different considerations to terminating that cover crop in order to plant in the following season.

The second meeting was the final in a series but this time, the presenter seemed in a hurry, didn’t want to answer questions and was focused on a topic of her interest. I left before it was over. I was learning nada.

There are four interesting meetings today. We will see which ones I actually attend. 😉

I spoke on the phone with three different friends yesterday and I actually one called one of them. Unusual, I am normally placing the call.

Jackie, I hope you enjoy yourself as you wait for your car. Update, I see you just posted here. Love the photo. ❤️❤️

Anne, oh my, taxes! Good luck on finishing those.

Barbie, great news about the landscaping bark. And you are beyond your 2 weeks. Well done. A friend called me yesterday and I was surprised, she and DH are also beyond the 2 week mark, they decided to go to the grocery store as their first trip!

Okay, must run along.

Best wishes to all.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

A couple of appropriate teapots for today. ☘️

x2axijvxytf9.jpeg

kwj55l8ylpkx.jpeg

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    992851r2bfwa35ve.gif
    Happy Wednesday! :) No grocery pickup today, I have enough food to wait until next week. Just a laid back kind of day, catching up on computer and my games. Babe called this morning and wished me a happy birthday, only a week late. :( Will ride my bike later and nothing else planned so kind of a boring day. I do like staying home though so I am not complaining, just wish the sun was out instead of a gloomy day.

Lin, you had a busy day yesterday and sounds like another today. Enjoy those zoom calls and talking with your friends. Cute teapots, fitting for the day.

Jackie, I have to admit from your pictures that England is beautiful. Illinois not so much, we don't have beautiful mountains or oceans just flat land and lakes. I hope all goes well with your car and I do hope George is better today.

Anne, yes It was a cold strange winter and looking forward to Spring on Saturday, we should reach 60. It was a good year for not getting the flu or common colds, as Jackie said masks and social distancing really did help. I think the day that we do not have to wear masks will be strange, I am so used to popping my mask on when in public. It will be nice to see smiling faces once again.

Barbie, good luck with the bark, post some pictures when done. I don't blame you and Jake for not changing your life style even with the vaccine but I do look forward to lunch with my friends which probably won't be until the end of April.

Hello to Patsy and Bob.

Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    It is a sad day here. Our dear old musician friend is now comatose and the hospice nurse says he will pass very soon. We cannot go to help support his wife because their house is filled with family and other musicians. John said it would be foolhardy to go and be part of a super spreader. I fear that might happen. Everyone is, of course, upset and social distancing is simply not possible. What to do? How can we show our love and friendship? Instead we are just wringing our hands, and this awful pandemic shows up to cause misery in the most unexpected places and circumstances.
    Sunny but very cold. There was ice on the deck again.
    Patsy☘️
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Very sad news PATSY. John of course is right. But remember you will be there for your friends wife when he is gone and that's when she will need you the most. Hugs.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Patsy, so sorry to hear that news. Long distance hugs. ❤️❤️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Oh Patsy, such dreadful knock on effects from Covid are heartbreaking. Of course your natural instincts are to be there in person to offer what support you can to your friend’s wife but I’m sure John is right. You have both given up so much socially for the past year while shielding to run the risk of throwing it all away. Your dear friend knew you both loved him and will soon be at peace so hold on to that thought.
    Sending hugs ❤️
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Options
    So sorry Patsy, but Jackie is right. You will be there for your friend when she will really need you. After all this time we still have to be cautious. (((Hugs)))
    Sandy
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Steps yesterday 16,568, today so far 2,586! That won’t increase much more as I intend to potter in the garden and rest my poor old legs and feet. Thank goodness it remained sunny yesterday as I walked but with everything locked down I couldn’t do much else. The car was fine although it cost me a pound short of £200 for an oil change, top up of screen wash that I can do myself and an obviously rushed car wash. I had decided not to do it myself the day before to at least get something for my money but wasn’t impressed! At one point as I strolled I passed a Volkswagen dealership and fell in love with a TSI model On the forecourt but assume from its price the mileage was high. Do I need a snazzy black sporty car? Probably not but I might go back once our lockdown eases which could be April 12th.

Sandy, I am lucky living where I do, in fact most of our British Isles have some wonderful scenery... probably something to do with all that rain! I loved Chicago when I travelled through 50 years ago (crikey, that thought makes me feel old!) but all the North American cities I visited back then seem to have expanded beyond belief. I don’t even recognise Vancouver anymore and would probably soon get lost in Toronto even having lived there nearly 10 years. Still incredible to view but they certainly wouldn’t suit my lifestyle today! I do remember massive fields of tall corn in Illinois, even have a photo somewhere of me standing in the middle of one, but that might have been closer to Lin’s neck of the woods.

Oh dear, clouding over so a quick lunch then gardening.
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) Very windy and cold day, another good day to stay inside. Meeting day and the new rug should arrive sometime today. Nothing else going on.

Jackie, that was a lot of steps yesterday, I think a rest is a good idea. Isn't your car a new car? Don't they give free oil changes for the first year? My dealer gives me free car washes and oil changes for the first year. Not sure what your money translates into American dollars. I had to google TSI model but still confused as it talks about the engine which I know nothing about. We do have corn in Illinois but not as much as Iowa where Lin lives.

Everyone must be busy but wanted to check in early before my meeting. Have a great day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Hello friends. We have sunshine today ☀️☀️!

Jackie, I looked up the TSI engine but am unsure of which model of Volkswagen is the snazzy sporty black car you were admiring. More details please! Sorry so many things were closed and my gosh, you really did a lot of walking yesterday. You need a break. Car dealerships are expensive but that is where I go as well. Over the years, I tried people who fixed cars on the side or had little shops. It didn’t work out well, especially when cars became more complex and the little guys could not afford to have all the diagnostic tools the larger shops have now.

Sandy, busy day for sure and we are all waiting to see the new rug. It will be great I am sure. And yes, we have lots of farmed acres in this state. I haven’t been out driving in the countryside for a long time.

Anne, where are you today? I was going to ask you something. I read an article about a care home in B.C. that had a Covid outbreak of 23 cases recently. Some 82% of residents were vaccinated and a goodly percent of staff as well if I scanned the information properly. I looked up some additional information and the facility was said to have about 220 permanent beds but they also take patients who are rehabbing for a while before returning home after a hospital stay (no info on vaccination status of these people). So this would be about 10% of residents and the author said the vaccine is not 100% so........ the whole thing is quite confusing. Sorry, I have forgotten the name of the facility. Are their multiple instances of this happening in Canada?

Patsy, thinking of you today. ❤️❤️ I hope Katie can cheer you up a bit.

Hello Barbie, Bob, Diane, Jeri and all our other Sneakers.

Best wishes.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Teapot, a chocolate one for Easter!

ekzv8tz70c5v.jpeg

• pinkperil
    Options
    gnnyddxhblp7.jpeg

Golf TSI... Same model, different dealer! I did discuss the fact my car had spent most of the past year in my garage due to our 3 lockdowns so only did 2,400 miles but it seemed I wasn’t the only customer complaining so was faced with a rather patronising member of staff... an attitude I can’t stand! If I didn’t get the service I’d lose my 3 year warranty so they have you over a barrel. Probably why I snooped around the VW forecourt!

A chocolate teapot Lin, that’s sweet and just perfect!
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Jackie, beautiful car!! I can see why you would be tempted. I am certain many people would be unhappy with that charge. It has been so long since either of my vehicles has been in warranty I don’t remember the terms. 🤣. With my old modes of transportation I do like them to be inspected by the dealership every year or so and some fresh oil!

Tiny chocolate teapot would be just perfect indeed.

Lin
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Well I'm cross eyed. Mark came over to help me fill out my SIMPLE tax form! It took us two hours and Marks job before he retired was a tax accountant.

I phoned the doctor, that's my dishy doctor from New Zealand because I had concerns about next weeks vaccination. I had the burst veins and the blind eye caused by blood from a burst eye vein from taking the blood pressure pills plus some members of my moms family had thrombosis in the past and wondered if I could have related problems. Anyway, he's told me to go ahead with the vaccination...........so if you don't hear from me after the 25th !!!!! I guess he thinks I'll still be around because quote "we've got to get your blood pressure down" even though I can't remember when I didn't have high blood pressure. So between doctors and tax forms I was jolted out of my pleasant isolation. We've got the Astra vaccination now, groan, and the doctor from New Zealand, lucky man, managed to get the Pfizer last week before they started shoving Astra needles in us ancients. Over 80s weren't to be given the Astra but it got approved this week, hence my concern.

LIN, I don't think there are multiple cases so far but one poor lady here got vaccinated two days in a row by mistake and her family say she will need constant care from now. The newspaper quoted she is totally incapacitated and a chap in Ohio has had the same problem. Vaccinated twice by mistake.

Ooh......let's go on to nicer things! Of course you need a snazzy black sports car JACKIE!
    Great Britain IS beautiful and it has a bit of everything from sea, lakes, rivers, dales, moorland, mountains, sandy beaches, towering rocks to climb up, waterfalls, well you name it all in one small island and all in easy reach. One only appreciates the country when one moves away.
    "This sceptred isle' to quote good old William S. Or as someone else said, "England, despite thy faults I love you still".

Must away, .....away from taxes and doctors ugh.
    Anne.
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Yesterday's mystery jigsaw, much nicer than tax formsjubghqmkk0s8.jpg
    . Anne