Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Cloudy, rainy, cold! Well, so far that bad news we are waiting for hasn’t arrived. What a strange feeling. I am wanting our dear old friend a peaceful passing. Yet I feel somewhat uncomfortable contemplating his passing and even wishing him a peaceful, pain free passing. What we all want is for him to be the same wickedly funny, amazing musician he always was. But that was long ago now. On to other activities and thoughts of the good life we have at this moment.

Since it is so cold, I am going to fix a Tex-mex casserole. I adapted it to use chicken or Turkey, low fat white cheese (very small amount just for the topping). Chili peppers, tomato’s and onions and spices including a dollop of chocolate cocoa powder to make a mole’ sauce. The older we get, the more important good food is to most of us.

We are also beginning the tax prep. And as long as we are into that part of our finances, we are finalizing our will. I guess everyone needs a will, even if you have no real fortune to give away.

Jackie: new car? I remember back in our college days, we had several VW bugs. Our kids learned to drive in one. Our daughter’s first car was a Vw bug. Etc etc. the heater in those cars were awful, cooked your ankle but the rest of you froze. Different car now....very classy!

Anne: I understand your concern about the vaccine. I will say, John and I got the moderna vaccine. Only reaction was a sore arm and extreme fatigue. But that could be a result of long line standing on cold concrete floor in the fair ground expo building. I wonder if you would be able to search online to see if you could get some other kind of vaccine. Would your son be able to help you research this? If your doctor says the risk is minimal, he has experience and latest info. Hang in there, sweet friend!

Lin: oooooooooh dear! A chocolate tea pot? Seriously fun and deliciously nibbled away.

Sandy: now rug on the way. You are going to be exhausted with all the furniture moving. But it is wonderful to get your home fixed up to your liking.

Take care dear sneakers,
    Patsy☘️
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Researching the chocolate teapot I discovered PG Tips were selling a number as limited edition online but already sold out at £10 a pot! Cute but not that cute!! 😧

Apparently a lot of misinformation circulating about the Astra Zeneca vaccine which has been cleared by the WHO for safe use. Best that you checked with your GP Anne with your medical history and I hope you feel reassured.

I’m trying desperately to finish the 5 seasons of Line of Duty before Sunday night when Series 6 begins. Bug eyed after midnight with last episode of series 4 and all of series 5 still to watch. Better get to bed!

Jackie
  • Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I've been watching Line of Duty as well JACKIE. Up to date I think.
    As for the Astra Zeneca vaccine we are being sent a huge batch from the States because it's not been approved there yet. Our government is enormously grateful for Mr Bidens gesture of friendship but despite my doctors go ahead I'm not totally reassured. I hope the doctors right and I'll manage to sneak in the last of the Pfizer. Mike is the next group to be vaccinated because he deals with people but he's not over the moon either because that group will be sure to get the Astra.

You know I'm beginning to feel like a sheep in line at a sheep dip.

Anyway, best to go ahead and trust Dr. W. What will be will be and with that behind me I can get other things fixed neglected because of lockdown.

Well better get moving because it's yet again weekly grocery day and I think Dorio must have spread the word around I'm available for acceptance at 8 o'clock rather than the requested 10! I must be first on route which does make everything fresh I guess.

Happy last work day of the week!
    Anne.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Quick check-in -

Going to try and catch up this weekend on some of the posts I have missed. We are heading to the funeral of a friend within the hour, yesterday was the wake.

Just another reminder of how short life can be for some and how blessed we are to be alive!

Jean always has a way to remind me when one holiday (like St Patrick's Day) is over; and we are headed toward another (Easter)...Kitchen lights and decorations -- shamrocks gone; carrots and bunnies in... She does it for every holiday – and I like it!

2ud0l19yniyj.jpg

Today is mostly mid-30’s BUT tomorrow is mid-50’s / sun and supposedly some 60’s next week.

Hallelujah!

Have a great day! Bob
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Well, the groceries arrived at 8:25 ! Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Hope this helps Anne. We think France's Macron was playing politics over the Oxford jab and it backfired! If Boris can take it so can you!! :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56452412

Jackie
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Awoke to rain but now clearing and I see sun and some blue skies. Both John and I are bouncing between distress over our friend’s impending passing and relief for his suffering. He hovers in a near comatose condition. Lots of Phone and emails from his musician friends and family. None of us are sure about how to help.

John is pecking away at the taxes. I have splintered off into gathering stuff for the attorney to update our will. It is sort of silly even if our personal “estate” is modest. Apparently everyone needs a will. John likes to have our personal bookkeeping buttoned down. It also helps me realize how truly fortunate we are. We are somewhat healthy and our needs are met.

Anne: dear one, we are going to be swimming in vaccine very soon. It appears most of the vaccines have a common mechanism. By the way, the reason it is not being used here is because we have millions of doses of three other vaccine producers. I feel sure whatever kind you get will work and remember...you are strong and there are thousands who have had this vaccine. Most have little to no reaction. A few have some unpleasant temporary reactions. Your doc would not ok this for you if it was too risky. I wish I could be there with you to hold your hand. I think It helps to have someone nearby, could Mike go with you?

Jackie: we are watching the Crown. It is very stylish and a bit of history mixed in. John is intrigued by Line of Duty. I told him you and Anne are enjoying it. Now he is looking into that. We feel the sneaker reviews are the BEST.

Friday pizza night. Tonight might require a glass of red wine with the pizza. It is a “glad to be alive” menu.
    Patsy☘️

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,132 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Happy Friday!! :) Woke up to the sun shining which always makes the day better. It is chilly but it is my laundry and cleaning day. The new rug hasn't arrived yet but UPS says it will be delivered today. I will post pictures when it is in place. I get my second vaccine tomorrow and I am excited. I donate blood on Thursday doing my part.

Patsy, prayers are being said for your friend and all his family and friends. I love the Crown even if the facts are distorted, I have been hooked since season one. I watched the first episode of Grantchester and think I will like it.
    No meat for me on Friday's of Lent so will probably have pasta.

Bob, sorry about your friend. Jean does a terrific job in decorating, when I lived with Babe I went all out for all holidays as well, now nothing except Christmas.

Anne, not sure I would be up if groceries were delivered at 8:30, for sure not dressed. lol If your doctor said it is safe trust him, my daughter is getting the vaccine because her doctor told her to, not because Mom asked her to.
    I am sure your sons will be happy with you getting the vaccine so they don't have to worry about you. They will probably take you places again so this is a good thing.

Jackie, is Line of Duty new or an old series? I am still watching all the old Monk series and can't seem to get through them so I start other series along with my regular shows. There just isn't enough time to sit and watch them all. lol

Lin, missed your post today so I hope you are having a good day.

Stay safe.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,191 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Hello,

Before I forget, Sandy, my friend got her second dose of vaccine and our blood center told her she had to wait to donate. I forget how long it was but she is on a regular schedule for donations and she was a bit unhappy to have her plans upset. But she waited. We are all good at waiting now right?

Anne, I understand your hesitancy, I was quaking in my boots due to my own allergies but I came through it and am ready for the second shot in a bit over a week. It seems the only reasonable thing to do at this point. We will all be rooting for you. I wish I could go with you my friend. And yes, early grocery deliveries. Ha, that happens to me quite often. I no longer take the earliest time as they were waking me up (with text message notifications) with the shopper out scouting for things well before dawn. Now I select 9 to 11 am and my delivery is often around 8:30am. Not too early.

Patsy, living in no man’s land is a very uncomfortable place to be. I feel for your dilemma. Try to enjoy your pizza night. That sounds lovely. Including a glass of wine.

Jackie, I saw a post from PG Tips regarding the sellout. People are asking them to restock but they have said that is not possible before Easter. Price is no object when you really want something right?

Bob, nice Easter decorations. Give Jean a — well done —from me.

Well, we have sunshine again today. Still kind of cold but sunny. Spring tomorrow. More rain coming. Ha, they will be the first spring rains and maybe the grass will start to green up.

I am really late today, I stayed up well past midnight because all of a sudden I could not take hunting for a particular Copic marker in my many little boxes and packages. So now I have sorted through everything and even though they are in many holders they are now in line by color family and number. My messing about with them has apparently cost me 5 or 6 lost markers. If I put them aside somewhere for a project, It’s not coming to mind. I do know I sorted out colored pencils for two projects and they are with those projects.

Today I finished a birthday card for a friend and decided I need a better reminder system for cards as well as some kind of system for keeping track of the stamps, does and stencils that I own.

Long range plans can sound reasonable when you’re in the mood and sleep deprived. 🤣😂🤣

My poor tiny tomato plants are to arrive today. I contacted the company that shipped them waaay too early. They didn’t really apologize for ignoring my Zone, they just shipped when the stock was ready. Apparently didn’t matter if you are Zone 6 or Zone 3! Yipes! I will endeavor to keep them alive, if indeed they are alive when they get here. They were shipped from Michigan so it’s been a cold journey. Now my herb plants from another company will not arrive until late May or early June. Shaking my head.

A teapot for today. A fuzzy little lamb. Or perhaps full grown? 😄

6wkiu7jijp9l.jpeg

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,132 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Lin, when I contacted the American Red Cross about donating with the vaccine they replied:
    There is no known impact on donating blood and getting the vaccine. As long as you are feeling well and healthy on the day of your donation, you will be fine to donate. Please refer to the following vaccination guidelines below for more information.

There is no deferral time for eligible blood donors who are vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine manufactured by AstraZeneca, Janssen/J&J, Moderna, Novavax or Pfizer. I have Pfizer.

Eligible blood donors who received a live attenuated COVID-19 vaccine or do not know what type of COVID-19 vaccine they received must wait two weeks before giving blood.

I will try calling them again on Monday but they are not easy to reach by phone.

Here is my new rug, tell me what you think.

6jrc09o1ov1q.jpg
    r8he26s5vcy2.jpg

I am exhausted, did laundry, cleaned the house, washed some coverings on my office chair, rode the bike for 82 minutes and moved the furniture to put the rug down. Dinner is late but a glass of wine is in order. Remember to drink lots of water the day before your vaccine and the day of the vaccine.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    Options
    It’s been a cold day as once again the wind has turned itself 80 degrees to head in off Scandinavia. Before walking I took the dogs In the car with me to post the jigsaw gift to my friend then stopped off in the local woods. We climbed a steep path to the top just to get my heart pumping and legs stretched, Betty’s too, then strolled through the trees before finding a gentle route down to the car park.
    ur5ij7kgqcez.jpeg

A quiet day although I did enjoy a long phone catch up with a friend. The builder phoned this evening to tell me he won’t be with me until at least next Thursday so I’m guessing he has taken another outdoor job on to make the most of our dry weather. I was rather short with him but nothing I can do. As we’ve already ascertained, it’s how most builders operate!

Patsy, an apple green VW Beetle was my favourite ever car that I drove in the 80’s. Her name was Gloria and I loved everything about her so was sad when I was advised by my garage to part exchange her because the rusty floor was about to disintegrate! Bought a boring maroon Peugeot as a replacement and driving was never the same again!

Love Jean’s Easter bunny decoration Bob. What a delight.

Patsy, one thing I can thank lockdown for is giving me a nudge to work my way through the five series of Line of Duty. I’m sure John will soon pick up the accents! I enjoy it because the storylines are human so I can understand why some get themselves on the wrong side of the law and there’s a common theme tying all series together. Pizza and wine sounds like a perfect Friday night bash..... unless you are still creating cauliflower pastry!!

Sandy, the first series started about 2015 I think and the one starting on Sunday was supposed to be produced and aired last year, then the pandemic arrived. Start at the beginning and I’m sure you’ll soon get drawn in.

Lin, I’m thinking if more PG chocolate teapots are produced they will no longer be a limited edition but yes, people will still be prepared to pay silly money for one! We currently have a tv commercial running for a vehicle breakdown rescue company that shows a toy dog the spitting image of George.
    ct77wdixxigr.jpeg
    There’s a campaign to get them to mass produce the dog to sell and Tukka as he is called is something I’d have to buy!
    We’ve got spring lambs everywhere in fields and on the moors so I particularly love today’s teapot.

Gone midnight so time for my bed.
    Jackie
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Sandy: I love your dining room decor. In a way, the circular pattern in the living room rug is repeated in the border of the dining room rug. Very harmonious without over doing it. I know you will enjoy the new rugs. Very elegant! You are very good to donate blood. I know it is needed and few people want to risk going to a clinic or hospital to donate. Just be safe...take care of your precious self!
    Patsy☘️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    10am and we’ve not walked yet. Grey and cold outside which might have something to do with it.
    No plans other than a televised rugby match this afternoon... England v Ireland.

Your carpet looks wonderfully classy Sandy just like it’s owner. I hope you got your feet up and that glass of wine you deserved after all that hard work.

Stay safe everyone.
    Jackie
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Lots of hard work SANDY, but my, you look posh!

A cold start this morning, but then a warm up to 13C by this afternoon, well maybe a bit less here because we are steps from Lake Ontario, but oh boy what a spring treat. Only problem today, what to wear.

Loved the woodland photo soon to be carpeted with bluebells, wood anemones, celandine and the beautiful but smelly wild garlic. Gorgeous.

I must look to see if I can get England versus Ireland on our TV but if it's warmed up, maybe not!

Anne.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :)Now that I'm in the mood to begin pulling weeds, I'll have to deal with the erratic drizzle pattern this week. The rain ran me back into the house twice yesterday.

:) Friends are in town this week and want to see us. They are the ones whose mail I send from their P.O. box every few weeks and the ones who were the breeder for Brandy and Sasha. We are still not allowing people in our house, so Jake's plan is to move the car out of the garage and set up our patio chairs in the garage spaced apart so we can have a visit that doesn't require standing up in the driveway like we did last time they were here.

:) Guidelines for the vaccine here say that the best vaccine to get is the one that is available.

:)Sandy, your new rug looks great. It was worth the hassle. You will be very happy with it.

<3 Jake and I are enjoying each having our own bluetooth headphones. Yesterday he was watching a war movie and I was at my computer on a Zoom meeting.

:) We pick up our groceries on Sunday mornings between 8 and 9 AM. There is little traffic on the way over and almost no one in the parking lot. Danielle is always cheery when she brings the bags and puts them in the back of the car. It's great for us because we are morning people.

<3 Barbie

• Annsie35
    Options
    Last word from me on vaccines. Mike sent me an article with the headline "German scientists discover why the Astra vaccine causes thrombosis in some people". He will be over later and maybe he can help me post the article. It was the Norwegians who discovered the reason, the Germans confirmed it.
    Anne
  • linder4866
    Options
    Annsie35 wrote: »
    Last word from me on vaccines. Mike sent me an article with the headline "German scientists discover why the Astra vaccine causes thrombosis in some people". He will be over later and maybe he can help me post the article. It was the Norwegians who discovered the reason, the Germans confirmed it.
    Anne

https://www.dw.com/en/astrazeneca-german-team-discovers-thrombosis-trigger/a-56925550

Does this work?
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello, sending along a photo of a strange little teapot.

tgygbqp418y6.jpeg

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

• jwubben6600
    Options
    Our dear old friend passed away yesterday around noon. There hasn’t been any word about a service or celebration of life later. We have gone through a cultural change here. It started several years ago. I believe at first it was a protest about the scandalous cost of funerals. There were documentaries and news articles on how criminally emotional manipulating they are. Anyway it is very common for there to be no services planed. Feeling very sentimental and sad but at the same time acknowledging a relief that the dreadful downward spiral has stopped. John and I feel a desperate need to embrace the life we have right now.

Anne: It seems to me you are extremely nervous about this vaccine. Do you feel you can talk to your doc and tell him you want to locate another option rather than the astra? You can offer to remain isolated until another vaccine is available. Just a thought. I think I hear in your posts that this vaccine feels extremely risky to you. Do what feels right for you but I would urge you to try to get some other vaccine as soon as possible. Anyway...that’s what I would do. But I am no expert by any means.

Jackie: your experience with the contractors is indeed very common. Another friend of John’s who is a contractor often has two or more jobs going at once just to ensure he gets the bids. Then he runs back and forth between the jobs. Horrible for the house owners but it is a business tactic almost all of them use.

Hello to all sneakers. Stay safe and healthy. We all need each other.
    Patsy☘️
  • linder4866
    Options
    Sandy, the rug fits perfectly! Much work but an excellent result.

I didn’t mean to cause any problem regarding blood donations. I just thought I would repeat what happened to my friend. She does not go to the American Red Cross to donate, she goes to a regional center that collects blood for use in our area at hospitals etc. She goes there because it is much closer to her residence. So she just followed their rules. Sorry again. Forget about it. Ok? Different places altogether.

Lin