Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Another glorious day so after a slow start I invited my neighbour to join me for a walk with George in the woods. As in the video I posted a couple of weeks ago, George ran from one sandy bank to the next and chased every stick and stone we threw into the water to a point... once his tummy came close to the cold stream he stopped and looked back at us as if to say "you must be joking if you think I'm going any further!" We spotted a Dipper flying under the little bridge and then a pair of Nuthatches nesting in a hole at the top of a rather dead tree trunk so Spring really has sprung!

Lin ~ I imagine the last year or more of coping with your dad and the situation he was in, together with the journeying back and forth will have drained your energy so do give yourself time to recover. The bonfire was a great success and we cleared most of the garden prunings by 8 pm as the sun went down but plan a 2nd one before the end of the week to finish the job before our weather changes for the worst.

Buzz ~ I know from short stays with my dad before he passed away just how frustrating and sad it was to be with someone who's mind seemed to go round in a never ending circle of thought but for me they were just that, short visits so I can barely begin to imagine how 24 hours a day wears you down, as much as you understand why Mike is the way he is. Some sort of support system is definitely a start so I hope your Director has taken note.

Bob ~ Mmm, dark chocolate is my favourite and I always keep a bar in the fridge and break off a square every now and then when my sweet tooth talks to me. Luckily that isn't too often! The main reason I decided to lose the 20+ lbs I've managed was because of a constant nagging back and the start of aching knees and have certainly noticed a difference. Although my back still complains after a day gardening I know it's no longer a chronic problem so can imagine what a difference your weight loss has made to the strain on your joints. This afternoon I'm planning baked fish for tonight's dinner and am hoping it is in the freezer and not another figment of my imagination!!

Patsy ~ "Hotel California" would certainly get me moving too so good luck with the newly added exercise regime.

Shirley ~ Now I've missed your anniversary ~ hope it was icing on the cake so to speak!!

Anne ~ I hate to admit age has anything to do with my lack of available time to settle to old hobbies but am sure you're right. I've been thinking about washing the kitchen floor for the past 2 days but somehow not found the time.... maybe this afternoon! George should be easy enough to paint, just a few blobs of grey and white would have him looking the way he is after playing in the water! LOL

Sandy ~ Now the constant child minder!! LOL You certainly are a lot happier than a year ago so are obviously loving what you're doing for your family which is wonderful to see.

Oh dear, just noticed a cobweb running from the mirror to a photo frame in the dining room where I'm sitting so had better get the duster out. There again the sun is shining and the garden calls so we'll see!!

Have a lovely Wednesday.

Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!! :D Just put Robby down for his morning nap and I will join him in a minute. Just wanted to check in and say hi. Tonight is my bingo night and although I have been going to bed an hour earlier than I will get home I still enjoy my night with friends.
    I am hoping to push myself to get on the bike this afternoon but I guess that will depend on how long Robby sleeps this morning. BTW Jackie, I do feel more useful by watching Robby, it keeps me busy and I love him so much. I will be glad when Lisa's mom gets back to help, after 5 days a week, two days a week will be a nice change. I am also grateful Lisa is off for the summer not only for me but for her, she loves being with her son so much.

Time for my morning nap.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    LIN, poor little broken winged sparrow, your description! There's a lovely little poem you probably know that starts:

What is this life if full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.

By William Henry Davies

We really do need to take naps and stand and stare. Mind you, because I like nature and I like to paint I probably spend too MUCH time standing and staring, and that is why I have a tendency towards shall we say, plumpness. Lol. Oh for a happy medium!

JACKIE, the floor, should you wash it, will only need washing again in another 2 days, so why not wait and do it all at once? Now there's a saving of energy for something else, such as leaving the cobweb alone, digging the paints out, and painting a much relieved spider sitting in his web. That's what you can tell everyone anyway. "I'm JACKIE, the nature painter". I'm full of brilliant ideas to put things off.
    As for George, the painting of, (will he sit still long enough?) I have titanium white and ivory black on my list, so that should cover the grey/white George blob ONCE I get to the art supply store.

BUZZ, on my mind. Please, take care of Buzz first.

Everyone, happy, rainy, Wednesday. Glad I took the shopping cart for walkies yesterday!
    ANNE
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,167 Member
    Options
    What is this life if, full of care,
    No time to stand beneath the boughs
    And stare as long as sheep or cows.
    No time to see, when woods we pass,
    Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
    No time to see, in broad daylight,
    Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
    No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
    And watch her feet, how they can dance.
    No time to wait till her mouth can
    Enrich that smile her eyes began.
    A poor life this if, full of care,

~~William Henry Davies

Love it Anne. Now off to the repair shop again......!

Lin
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Lin - Good luck with the car again. I remember those days at the shop. It was a navy blue camero and
    a dirty gas tank. I didn't know it until it was investigated. Many times at the road side and shops.
    I hope you get it fixed once and for all.

Got up early today and took my MIL for her apt and compression stockings. She did good trying them on and she says they feel good. I hope it keeps her swelling down. We have to go back in 2 weeks to get another pair for her.

Just finished 30 min w/weights on my bike and got that done. Enjoying my Fitbit and have linked with another person on this site. So much tech lately new phone, tablet, and now fitbit. My head is spinning.
    I am not computer savy but with help I can manage. I am on Facebook now my own account and have my own email address now. Too many places to check and so little time. My daughter Kristina showed some tricks for Candy Crush too. Learning so much lately. I guess we are never
    too old to learn.

Going to dinner tonight with friends who just got back from 4 months in Florida. Watching my calories today so I can enjoy it.

Shirley
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hi, we should get home tomorrow night. Time off, much to do! My computer is on strike, haven't had time to spend negotiating with it! So posts will be brief if I can't fix it.

Phoebe on bumpy roads ;)
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Great day! Sunny and warm. As if on cue...my husband is now concerned about drought. We haven't gone 24 hours without rain yet! I think we will okay for a short time, however. Crazy !!!!

We took the dogs in for their booster shots and they got A+ on their health report. In people years, Mazzy is 77 yrs old and MoMo is 84 yrs old. MoMo is the boss of the house and the neighborhood. She tolerates very little nonsense. She told the vet to show a little respect! He was lucky she let him even look at her!
    Patsy
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,982 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy110.gif Hello to all my wonderful supportive senior golden sneakers friends. This has been another peaceful, dancing, dog walking, exercise bike riding day. Weather is sunny and cool.

<3 Barbie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here is little Isaac.

se211k7hxbp0.jpg

Shirley
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    nice to see so many familiar faces and posting.
    We got back yesterday and this old granny is poop.
    iit will take me awhile to get rested up/
    [/ am having a lo of problems with the zoom are you guys?

Mariei]
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Hello sneakers, well it's a misty moisty day, and it was a misty moisty day yesterday, so I've spent 3 or 4 hours each day having another go at my painting, and now I've got backache. So far, so good though. It took me that time today to "create" a broken down wooden fence and a broken down wooden gate.

I bet you aren't painting SHIRLEY, I bet you are gazing at your adorable little Isaac instead!

Just wanted to say hello to everybody.
    Anne.
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Glad you are back MARIE, missed you. ANNE
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :D Bad day weather wise, lots of storms and tornado watches. I didn't go to my meeting as I was afraid the roads would be flooded. The sun is coming out now so I hope all this rain has stopped although they say it is coming back with a vengeance.
    I won at the slot machine place and at bingo last night so it was a good day for me.
    I am still not back on program and will regret that but I am trying to get up the energy to ride that bike.

Shirley, Issac is just adorable, love the picture.
    Marie, saw your great granddaughter on Face book and she is also so adorable, you looked so in love.
    Anne, painting is such a great talent, can't wait to see one of your paintings.
    Barbie, you are always amazing with your program.

Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,167 Member
    Options
    Hello Sneakers - it's been a day of Internet outages. It's on, it's off, cable TV gone, then back again. Argh.....you know how much I love that. Now I can't comment on posts on the newsfeed. Oh well, at least I got here.

Storms.....eeeeck. Sandy I hear you. We had a bit of hail yesterday but not at my house and now they have warnings and watch areas out again this evening. I'll just stay home and be quiet.

Marie - I also saw the pictures on Facebook. How lovely! I am so glad you were able to make that trip.

Shirley - A=DOR=ABLE! What a beautiful grandchild. You must be so joyful.

Anne - sorry your back hurts but I am glad you got some creative time the last several days.

Phoebe - hope you got home safely.

Patsy - yes, we are doing the same thing. Farmers here are worried about drought as we haven't gotten decent spring rains and it really is planting season now.

Barbie - hello. Another wonderful day in your memory book. :smile:

My Navigation system is working now. (Yes) I've done some contact work and now have a shop that will let me bring in some of my mom's music boxes to try to sell. I also contacted a china replacement company for information on selling pieces to them. I plan to review the offer they made me and will sort out what they will take, box it, and send it. The remainder of the pieces I'll have the online auction people take care of sometime in May. A bit of a shift in plans but I am more pleased with this plan of action. I did get the tractor sold the other day and the guy also wanted a fiberglass water tank that goes in the back of a pickup. A bit of progress!

I've also decided to alter my plans regarding cleaning. I've been stressing about doing a thorough clean of everything, cupboards, refrigerator, windows, and all the usual. Here's the deal, I'll just do my best and no longer plan on removing everything from the cupboards and drawers, I'll just dust and clean around things. It should save time and I've been told by several people who've been at the house that it already is in much better shape than most homes that are for sale. So I'm going to calm down.

Oh and a great surprise when I got there the other day---the landscaping company had already done their job and it really looks superb out in front of the house. The best job they've done since I've been hiring them (started in 2008). Yes!!

Meanwhile I am spending massive amounts of time emailing with a cousin. I'm scanning old photos and sending them to her and then we go back and forth with stories, memories, speculations. It's interesting and I'm finding out a lot I didn't know of her part of the family since I don't think we've seen each other since I was about 12 years old.

Tomorrow is "get the vegetables" day. Need to go to the library and I signed up for a book folding class at the library in the evening. I may cancel out on that though. We'll see what the day will bring.

Otherwise, walking, walking, walking, listening to conference calls.

Wishing everyone the best.....................

Lin
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Sandy she is a little big boy.named Grayson.
    I am glad to be back. I will give a run down on our Easter challenge we. lost 360 pounds as a group
    the 4th of July challenge is up and running and is crazy. So many new members my friend connive is handle it well tho and soon some of them will dropped out
    I missed you guys too.

I have been pretty sick today.th ink I guteneze yesterday. No fun.aalso got off of my reular eatin pattern.
    Lin, Anne missed you too.
    And of course Bob. lad to see Buzz posting again.
    Jackie always a pleasure reading your post.
    And Phoebe lad you are going to be home a few days.
    Pasty get well soon.
    love Marie

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    You would not believe this....hubby was mowing today and found bear scat down on the lower acreage. The wild life has been WILD this year. We have a little Apple tree that has been there for their dining pleasure,I'm guess. If they will not threaten us or the dogs, I say...let them eat all the apples. They really aren't all that great tasting anyway. The grocery store has those wonderful Fuji apples!

Love the photos of the grand babies. I can feel the happiness and love all the way over here.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    More tomorrow -- long day -- headed for bed -- but let me close with:

From 405 to 205 – That’s 200 pounds gone!

We went out of town today to see a cardiologist, I hadn’t seen since last early last year. He was thrilled with my weight loss. My visit confirmed what I had noted on my scale at home this morning. I lost that last pound since my last “recorded” weigh-in…so it is official:

“lost 1 lb since his last weigh-in! Nikonpal's lost 200 lbs so far.] :)

His staff (EKG tech, and 2 nurses) was also impressed. One nurse left the room saying she was going back to her station to download MFP (LOL).

The other nurse had lost his own weight of 40 pounds, since we last saw him. He was so ecstatic about the “congratulations” we gave him etc.; he jumped into his success story / journey (dropping from 3X to plain XL and waist from 46 to 40). I skipped my story – I was just enjoying his “moment in the sun.” It was a wonderful story and also related to his 2nd job as a part-time fireman.

We stopped at an out-of-town mall on the way. I bought a pair of 36” waist jeans! I haven’t been a 36” waist in the last 25 years or more! That is down from a 60” waist. OK – to be honest – “some” 36” didn’t fit and I am still 37-38”. Guess, I should put this under NSV. :)

fat%20compare%202015%20apr__zps47wlg8si.jpg

This is an UPDATE SINCE my original story at:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10080664/lost-191-lbs-photos-success-after-999-failures/p1

73641431.png
  • Jacean245
    Options
    BOB, your story is very inspiring and offers hope to so many people who are still struggling. I'll go as far as saying MFP should offer you a job on a consultant basis. It's a privilege to "meet" you. I hope you will continue on MFP now your own battle is ended with your continuing advice and meal ideas. My Sincere Congratulations.
    Poor MARIE, I hope you feel much better today girl. PATSY, bear scat! It has been a rough year for the wild life up here. I noticed 3 Hawks circling above yesterday, looking for breakfast no doubt. There are rabbit pellets in the garden, but BEAR scat! Stay safe! It took me so long yesterday to paint a broken down fence that it probably would have been more productive to have got hammer and nails and built the real thing......except it was pouring with rain all day!
    Happy Friday everyone, stay warm, and dry, and SAFE!
    ANNE
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Gosh it is Friday. isn't it I have lost all signs of days. my feet are so swollen up they look like watermelons. Weight is up too along with it. I lay off of my water pills while we were traveling and now I am paying for it
    how can we fixs these long Sentence that if going off my viewing driving me crazy
    Marie
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    First things first –

Shirley – Sleeping Isaac is soooo adorable. Love kids (before the teen years (LOL). I have my just-turned-5 graddaughter sleeping over this weekend. It should be a blast.

Lin – Hope things worked out OK with that navigation system. I have it in my 2011 car, but honestly with my smart phone I haven’t used it as much as I anticipated. I also had problems on a couple times I set it playing around and it it took me by way of China to go 10 miles – LOL – might need dealer to look at mine too. Good. Luck.

Jackie – “Mmm, dark chocolate” is my aphrodisiac of choice second only to certain Italian food. BUT it has to be great chocolate not some of that 59 cent stuff. And I keep mine in the fridge too. I like it cold so when I drink tea or coffee the chocolate melts in my mouth. I do not stock it in the house for obvious reasons. Hope your baked fish was delicious and your joints remain OK.

Anne – Thanks so much. Must admit, I was very thrilled to see their numbers so late in the day compare so well with my own. It is a pleasure to know you & the Golden Sneakers crowd. There are lots of nice people on MFP – I have only met a couple with both oar’s not in the water or too expletive driven.

Got up this morning and re-confirmed it wasn't a dream. It showed down another pound but that could be a fluke (so I didn't update yet). I was so tied up yesterday I didn’t get any mid-morning or afternoon snacks or lunch…but the late night chocolate cluster was delicious (and so was dinner).

Snapped a photo this morning for my records…but you can’t see the smile!

20150410_073512_scale%20204_socks_zpsxjawsh8t.jpg

Going for a walk now and then JC Penney’s. Got a $10.00 coupon with no restrictions and the Dr Scholl’s socks I wear to prevent ankle swelling are expensive…so it is time to pick-up a pair. The coupon expires today.

Hope you all have a great Friday!