Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,884 Member
    Sandy, I’m so sorry about Daisy. It’s heartbreaking but thank goodness you got to see her again and know inside it’s the right time for her to rest in peace. I feel tearful just thinking about it and the rotten time you’ve been put through by Babe’s son who still influences your decisions but I’m sure, from what little I know, you are best to stay away. As for other decisions, you are a brave, forgiving lady and a far better person than me so I will keep any opinion I hold to myself.

Blurry vision when driving is not good and here in England insurance wouldn’t cover any accident due to those eye drops. We need you to stay safe so please do get a ride with someone next time. ❤️

Have a lovely evening with friends and definitely enjoy some fun. The Life of Sandy needs a bright episode!

Back later after trying Lin’s microwaved veggie suggestion. I’ll let you know Lin!
    Jackie 🥰

• JillyBurg6
    JillyBurg6 Posts: 186 Member
    So very sorry for you all SANDY. I cannot convey how much and so sad for Babe who shouldn't have so many heartaches at this late time in his life.
    ANNE.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hello to you dear sneakers. I have had a busy morning doing chores. Now sitting with my first cup of coffee. We have fog but it is to burn off very soon here. Hummmm! Well it looks like it is socked in and thick. Those weather people are sometimes not clued into the flirty tricks of the ocean and the big Columbia. They make their own weather regardless of predictions.

Sandy: dear one you are on my mind today. I can so relate to the relentless heartache of losing a pet. In my experience, that drug never really helped our doggies. I used it for two of our OES. Sort of helped but not much for pain. They suffered, we suffered! We also made the hard decision. I can’t help but be So sad for Babe. Losing his dear pet and his unhappy home as well. Adding financial distress to that. It seems unbearable. I know there has been a long history of drama and bad decisions, so my sympathy is based on little to no knowledge. Just reacting to the loss of your dear sweet Daisy.

Lin: well of course, you are so right about the lamp. It is quite old and a family relic. It belonged to John’s grandmother. It has some value to collectors. John is going to tear into it and rewire because just like you said, Lin and Anne, it could cause a house fire.

Jackie: not being able to cook on top of your stove is hugely inconvenient. When we have power outages (happens often) I can always heat water and even cook using the top of our wood stove. We have electric for everything including heat and no gas. It is expensive and then there are
    the storms and power outages!

We are still involved with that series called Killing Eve. A strange story, interesting characters.
    Wishing everyone a safe day,
    Patsy☘️🌜
  • jacAth3
    Twelve hours later, this morning’s trip to Plymouth doesn’t seem so stressful now. Major road works caused problems, a young man nearly drove into me and I barely made it in time for my dental appointment. Two years have gone by since my last visit because of lockdowns and my dentist told me they still have problems with staff becoming infected. The good news is the cracked tooth can be repaired so another appointment is booked for March 2nd. Since I was in Plymouth I went on to a large electrical store to look at Apple laptops but the customer service was so slow and finally I was told the one I wanted to buy as a birthday gift to myself wasn’t in stock so that was that!
    It’s been relatively mild and dry so I pottered in the garden for a couple of hours this afternoon and found lots of Bluebell shoots and Primroses about to flower. The sparrows are pecking off Crocus buds so I’m not sure I’ll have the usual show this year.

My hot water runs off an electric heater and the shower has its own separate electric heater, then the rooms have panel heaters as well as the log burners. Now why didn’t I think of a saucepan of water in the top of one? The microwave worked alright cooking broccoli shoots but the Brussels sprouts weren’t happy… cooked on the outside but too hard in the centre. I’ll soak beans overnight and make bean casserole in my slow cooker tomorrow because I feel sure I won’t receive my gas order until at least the end of the week.

I haven’t watched Killing Eve yet but know it was incredibly popular when first broadcast.

I’ve an appointment to collect my new reading glasses in the morning so another early start.

Jackie 😴 💤
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,364 Member
    edited February 2022
    Good evening. Did find some groceries today. Lots of empty shelves though. I decided I had spent enough so I did not go in to another store. I did get my library books returned, a new one checked out, and made a trip to the post office. My new Fitbit arrived this afternoon. It is all set up, charged, and found a watch face I liked and have downloaded and installed it. It is much easier these days than years ago.

I found a show that everyone else is well acquainted with but not I, until a few days ago. I was going to watch some type of conservancy program about land in the Dales on YouTube and happened to see Amanda Owens. That sparked a lot of looking up things and I have been gobbling down little bits and pieces of video and information on the family ever since. She did a presentation for, I think, Club 41, and was asked who was her role model and she said it was Hannah Hauxwell. Another lady I had searched online for information and programs a while back. What a rugged person. Anyway, I digress. I am finding the life of the family on the farm absolutely fascinating. Amanda has written a number of books.

A new one, to the U.S. market, will be coming out in May.

“For everyone who loves watching Amanda Owen and her family on Our Yorkshire Farm, or enjoys reading her bestselling books, comes this delightful and uplifting collection of her monthly Dalesman columns.

In Tales From the Farm by the Yorkshire Shepherdess Amanda takes readers on an evocative journey to Ravenseat, where she lives with husband Clive and their nine children, not to mention their flock of sheep, herd of cows, hardworking dogs and a formidable chicken called Linda.

Covering events from 2019 through to early 2021, Amanda describes saving the life of a newborn calf on New Year's Eve and watching, mouth agape, as their livestock trailer was swept away by floodwater in March. Son Sidney braves the wrath of Linda and husband Clive crafts an unusual Valentine's Day gift. Eldest daughter Raven leaves the nest, headed for university, while young sheepdog Taff and Tony the pony arrive at the farm. As Covid-19 sends the country into lockdown, Amanda feels more lucky than ever to live close to nature, finding happiness in the beauty of the Dales and the unchanging routines of the farming year.

Illustrated with charming line-drawings throughout, this book is the perfect gift for fans of the Owen family and a chance to catch up on their adventures.”

I cannot stream directly from Channel 5 as the VPN blocks out traffic from the U.S. But I am preoccupied with watching these clips and interviews on YouTube.

Anyone have an opinion on this? I think Amanda does everything to bring additional money to the farm but I understand some people are saying she should just stay home and raise her children now. She has spent too much time in the public eye.

Jackie, I should have added, that I would chop the Brussels sprouts in half before trying to cook them. Sorry that didn’t work out. I am glad you got to the dentist and have an appointment to get that tooth fixed. You have really waited a long time for this. And now picking up new reading glasses tomorrow. I am glad you are getting those as well. I am sorry the Apple store did not have what you were looking for. But I am not surprised, their products are too popular. Oh, and you were wise to drop Amazon if you have the same price increase coming. An additional what, $20 USD for an annual subscription. I believe that is the 3rd increase since they made it available. Or have there been more than that?

Patsy, you sound as if you accomplished a lot today. Good for you. I hope you get a good rest tonight. I never recognize anything the rest of you are watching. I guess I am a bit low on Premium services. I just don’t want to pay for anything else. Hello to Katie and John. Oh, an heirloom lamp, yes, you must try to save that. I hope it can be saved.

Sandy, I do not know what to say. I am so sorry about Daisy. I am glad you saw her but it is so incredibly difficult to get through. As to Babe, I know you will think it through. It just sounds as if you would be giving up all of your activities as you try to look after Babe. His health is seemingly very poor and I know you would be very conscientious, that’s just who you are. My dad wanted me to sell my house and move into his to care for him. I talked it over with my Pastor and he said, do not do it. That surprised me so I thought it over a bit longer. While the situation was still difficult, he was right in the end. Tough decision. I feel for your situation.

Anne, more snow? Oh, it is still winter in Canada but I have noticed the days are getting a little bit longer which is a good sign. We are lucky here to have above freezing temperatures right now. The snow is melting.

Must run along. The battery in this iPad is getting low.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Valentine teapot
    n12fmi89yret.jpeg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,148 Member
    :'(<3Sandy, so sorry to hear about Daisy. I have known her through you her whole life. :'(
  • jacAth3
    Lin, I hope you can get into this link if you’ve not found it already.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/all-about/our-yorkshire-farm

What an adorable teapot. I want one!!

Off out to collect my reading glasses and visit a garden centre… possibly being premature but I have my greenhouse if it decides to snow!
    Thinking of you Sandy. ❤️

Jackie 🥰
  • JillyBurg6
    Lovely long and interesting post from LIN about my lovely Yorkshire and the dales.

Meanwhile back here in suburban Ontario I finally slept only to be woken up by a skunk, probably defending herself from the fox family, spraying too close to the front bedroom window waking me and Bean up. We did an early morning trek to the back summer bedroom which is usually too warm in the winter being above the basement furnace but much preferable to skunk perfume. I lay awake for a while thinking of poor Babe who seems to have lost not only Daisy, but home and family as well. Life can become very cruel as we age. However, your pastor gave you very wise advice LIN, and I should have mentioned cutting Brussels sprouts in half as well! I always cut a cross in the stem of them when cooking anyway, a tip from my mother.

I had two back molars removed during lockdown JACKIE and I need to see a dentist before I lose another! The shingles put everything else out of my mind but I hope soon to be finally rid of the d...n thing as it recedes.

At least spring doesn't seem so far away, even here amongst the snow banks, and with spring comes new life and hopefully much pleasanter times for us all and our families.

Anne and Bean.

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    Happy Wednesday! :) We had a good time celebrating my friend's birthday even though I lost some money. It felt good to be with good friends who are all animal lovers as you all are. Thank you for all your caring support, you touched my heart. I have to admit that I am again upset that he is putting his son before me and I am afraid that is how it will be for the rest of his life. I am thinking long and hard about him staying with me and will not make a hasty decision.
    I am sitting later this afternoon and mentally packing for my trip. I think I am all set and ordered a new swimsuit and a couple of summer maxi dresses which haven't arrived yet so we will see if I like them or not. I am going to a Super Bowl party at our friends house on Sunday hoping to win a little money from the pools I am in. I enjoy the commercials more than the game but it will be fun.

Jackie, maybe not as forgiving as you think I am, but I really don't think he has anywhere to go once they sell the house. I still think an assisted living place would be better for him but who knows maybe he will decide to get an apartment for him and his son. One Day at a Time. Did you order the Apple computer even though it's on backorder? I am glad you are able to fix your cracked tooth. I have a hairline crack on the back of one of my front teeth that are capped and joined to two other teeth. I am hoping it doesn't go any further because to replace it would be over $3000.

Lin, sorry I know nothing about Amanda Owen but it does sound interesting. I really like my veggies when I cook them in Air Fryer especially carrots. Yes, that is a concern of mine that he would expect me to give up all that I do and I just cannot do that. I thought of going to my pastor as well and still might but I am so comfortable with my Al Anon program and talking to my sponsor I hope I will make the right decision.

Barbie, thank you, yes that is true Daisy was born May 12,2009 and I joined MFP January of 2009.

Anne, I agree Babe shouldn't have so many heartaches at this time in his life. He is very frail so I do worry about him. I hate the skunk smell as well and if you remember in my old apartment the people below me smoked pot and it smelled just like the skunk smell. Ugh. I do hope you find your way back to us, I love all your posts.

Time to eat some breakfast and get some things done on the computer. Have a good day and stay as wonderful as you all are.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    Hello Sneakers! A dry, mild start to my day but we had a very short walk this morning then off I went to collect my new glasses. The town of Bodmin is in the opposite direction to Plymouth so the roads were quiet and I arrived in good time. They fit well and feel comfortable so I now have 4 pairs to leave around the cottage because the old ones are fine for emergencies but I bet I still find myself without when I need to read something! I’ve already misplaced one very bright glasses case! On the way home I stopped at a Lidl store for an instant meal and fresh salad as well as a tin of petite pois and baby carrots that will be easy to heat in the microwave. Like Anne, I cut a cross in Brussels sprout stem ends but should have cut in half so if there’s still no sign of the gas canister by Friday, I’ll experiment again. I changed my mind about visiting a garden centre and instead came home because George and Betty were left alone several hours yesterday so I wanted to walk them again after lunch. The usual story in that rain arrived at the same time as I parked on the moor but that fine mizzle sort so off we set, me avoiding muddy patches! George was in one of his deaf, stubborn moods so I didn’t go too far and when he reacted in grumpy fashion to a Standard Poodle wearing a bright red knitted jumper I knew it was time to leave. I drove next to our local town for pet supplies then stopped at a do-it-yourself car wash that has high powered water jets so ideal to remove mud and sludge picked up on our rural roads.

Sandy, assisted living does sound like a better option for Babe abut if his son has tied up his money somehow, I can see why you might consider taking him in, perhaps with a proviso his son doesn’t ever darken your door! Believe me, that definitely makes you a better person than me! 😉🤗
    Wow, $3000 for a replacement tooth but I can understand people paying that much if they can afford it because this one little gap in my mouth is affecting the way I chew my food… weird but true. The work I’ll have is classed a filling so only £42 on the NHS.

Anne, I’m sensing your shingles is retreating as thoughts turn to Spring and warm sunshine just round the corner but completely understand why you feel dentistry is not what you want to be facing until it arrives. Please get back to us as soon as you can. You are a very important member of the pack, as is Jilly of course!

Lin, our Channel 5 is a part of Sky.com, one of Murdoch’s tv empires so not easy to view outside the UK until the company feels it worth while financially. Meanwhile, if you can find a BBC series called The Farmers’ Country Showdown I’m sure you would enjoy it. This website has a list of episode content to give you an idea of what gets shownl.
    https://www.thetvdb.com/series/the-farmers-country-showdown/allseasons/official

Ha! Patsy, as I plan in my head which saucepan to use on top of the log burner, the temperature becomes mild enough to have only an electric panel heater set at 19c but I’m going to pretend that’s how warm it is outside and enjoy salads! Is your knee improving or are you keeping its pain to yourself?

Well, quiche and salad or processed chicken korma and rice? A cup of tea first while that decision gets mulled over.

Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    edited February 2022
    Hello Sneakers. Another relatively warm day. Home today doing laundry, a bit of cooking and starting to assemble numbers for my taxes. Nothing too exciting there.

Jackie, thank you for the continued leads on things to watch but I am not able to access much. I found one season of Farmers’ Country Showdown on the Tubi app and I see there are now 10 seasons of the Yorkshire Vet on Acorn TV and of course YouTube. That should keep me occupied. Wow, you passed up the garden center today. I am amazed. So good to put the pooches first. Sorry to hear you were ‘mizzled’ during your walk. It does sound uncomfortable. With the traffic being better when you drive to Bodmin, I hope you are able to do lots of your business there rather than in Plymouth as it sounds like a much more pleasant (and safer) drive.

Sandy, I am glad you had a good time with your friends. Sorry you lost a bit of money but not much so all is well right? What day will you be leaving, several days before your birthday? I hope you are having a good time with the children this afternoon.

Anne, I hope you are able to get back to us soon. Sorry to hear of the overnight skunk!!

Patsy, I must have missed your post. Sorry. I blame MFP 100%! Hope your knee is getting a bit better. Maybe we will all feel better when warm spring weather arrives. Or am I dreaming?

I should get back to the tax stuff.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

61vzatk8mqm0.jpeg

• jacAth3
    Lost another post… this tablet is too sensitive! 🤬
    I’ll pop back later but good news is my gas cylinder was delivered early this morning while I was making my porridge so hooray, I can steam my veggies again. The sun is breaking through heavy cloud after a cold start and I want to get more tidying achieved in my garden.

Happy Thursday.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    Happy Thursday! :) Meeting today followed by picking up groceries and a stop at two stores. Still working on losing weight for my birthday vacation but my body is not cooperating. :p
    Nothing else going on so will check in later and see how all are doing.

Stay safe.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Hi, I have been working on assembling tax information most of the morning. 👀

I hope all the Sneakers are doing well.

Jackie, yippee, you got your delivery. Thank goodness. Now you can cook things the way you want to.

Sandy, I hope your meeting is helpful.

Anne and Patsy, hope both of you are back soon.

Nothing else interesting here.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

nqh62f7sj4uz.jpeg
  • jwubben6600
    A foggy misty morning but the weatherman says it is to burn off this afternoon….promises…promises!

I am feeling this primal urge to start spring house cleaning. The windows are nasty! Curtains need a bath. Rugs need washing or carpet steam cleaning, big plans. So far nothing happening. Just looking around at potential things to make life seem normal and healthy. I am slower than the local snails or slugs but with high speed ambitions. A dangerous combo. I hope I can pick a couple of things to do then go on to other projects.

First off! Valentine day on Monday. Ordered Katie a new dolly. But it will not be here in time for V day. John’s red tee shirt is on back order as well, well darn! My big surprises are not happening for Valentine day. So I am making John an apple pie and a Cajun shrimp dish that I grew up eating but can’t spell. It is that French dish that sounds like “a toofay” funny I hadn’t a clue about the spelling. It was a regular weekly dish my aunts or grandmother made. Easy and with wonderful fresh shrimp from the Gulf. I will give John a homemade Valentine and Katie a chicken treat and a promise of a new dolly next week, I hope.

Jackie: I do need to spend days and weeks cleaning up the yard and garden. It is a fright out there. Long neglected. I fear this will require a team of strong men and women to beat back the weeds and jungle. Thank goodness your gas cylinder arrived.

Lin: taxes! Oh my! I haven’t even thought about them. John seems happily avoiding the subject. That is a bad sign. We have to do that quarterly estimated tax thing. Miserable bother! But soon we must address the issue.

Sandy: soon you will stop fretting and give in to just enjoy the coming holiday with your family. I know the weather etc will be warm and wonderful. You will never stop smiling!

Barbie: hello! Maybe soon you can start dancing with your line dance group again. I remember you showing us a video once of your group. I watched a group of ladies on YouTube and they were enjoying it so much! It is a wonderful exercise and balance training activity.

Anne: I know you are hard at work helping with the construction activities at and around your house. Hope all is well. Ear scratch to Jilly from Katie. Give your little Sweetheart a special treat for Valentine day. It is a day for sweethearts after all.

Feeling sloppy sentimental today…can you tell?
    Patsy☘️🥰❣️

• linder4866
    Étouffée

Lin❤️❤️
  • JillyBurg6
    Well. I don't know what happened but I appear to be back! I was just thinking, after a long conversation with Maria next door. I'll give it one more go and here I am - until next time.

Of course nothing much has happened apart from Mark and Mary Jo hammering away downstairs as they put back the basement wooden floor accompanied by the odd woof from Jilly.

By the way PATSY, Mark is very good at telling me my chandeliers are festooned with cobwebs, which I can't see being a tad short sighted. Mary Jo and I are buying Derek and Bev a dinner and tea service for their move-in date house warming and I took a trip to London UK to buy a much needed shirt from Marks and Spencers. A posh, pricey shirt to replace my worn favourite after two years of the pandemic.

The shingles are receding, I expect to be my old self by this time next week and that's about it after hours of frustration trying to get back and wondering what I'd done to get kicked off in the first place.

Jilly's chicken is just about done in the crockpot so I'll tootle off and hope to read you all tomorrow!

Anne, still wondering what happened.
  • Sandydur
    Babe called and said Daisy was buried today. My heart is broken, she was my baby.
  • jwubben6600
    Oh Sandy, I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Daisy. I know you are devastated. But she was loved and cared for and apparently had a loving relationship with Babe. Of course, as you said she was your baby. I know you have a nice portrait of her to set somewhere near by to focus on happy times with dearest Daisy. I have portraits of Mazzie and MoMo I can look at right now. It helps. These amazing creatures give us so much and leave us too soon.
    Thinking of you,
    Patsy☘️❤️
  • jacAth3
    yxqbuqxds0nm.jpeg

Sandy sweetheart, I’m so sorry to read about beautiful Daisy. I feel your heartache. Our pets are family and Daisy always knew you loved her, even when you were unable to visit. You will hold her in your heart forever and one day be able to smile as you remember those happy times spent with her.
    Thinking of you and sending hugs across the pond.
    Jackie 🥰