Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,884 Member
    The strong winds woke me this morning followed by heavy rain hitting the window. My first thought was to get a shower and hair washed before any power cuts while the pooches and Brady decided bed was the best place! No power cuts yet but goodness, it’s miserable outdoors. Late morning I clambered into wet weather gear and, to George’s disgust, wrapped him in his rain jacket then off we set leaving Betty tucked up in her comfort bed since she had done everything needed in the garden. The roads are flooding and trees bending wildly so once George had done his business we headed home because he was getting knocked off his feet by the wind. He did have fun at one point chasing a dead leaf off an oak tree as it floated along the road in a mini stream. We just needed Winnie the Pooh to come along with his sticks!
    Wet outer clothes are now dripping in the garden room and I’ve made a bean casserole that’s bubbling in my slow cooker so nothing to do but light fires and prepare for another rugby match, this time it’s England v Italy.

Happy Sunday. I wish I could pop in to see Patsy’s indoor plant with dangling hearts! Have fun…

Jackie 🥰
  • JillyBurg6
    JillyBurg6 Posts: 186 Member
    edited February 2022
    Just as miserable here JACKIE, temperature -15 C and the windows are all frosted up. We won't be going anywhere! Jilly and Betty have the right idea curled up in their beds! In fact instead of a shower this morning I had a lovely hot soak in the tub.

Your bean casserole sounds tempting to make but I've pea meal bacon that needs eating up.

I'd love to see PATSY's tree as well. What fun for John when he wakes up.

I've just been talking to Mike and his ceiling to floor windows are all frosted up as well. Hope this is a last fling from old man winter. I'll curl up later and watch a movie recommended by Mark, or the Guernsey Potato club. Remember JACKIE we read the book?

So the world is quiet and peaceful at least here. I wonder how the wild and woolly truckers survived such a cold night. Many of them have children with them.

Hot drink time so bye for now ANNE.

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    Happy Sunday! :) I watched my Church service and now catching up on computer. I am going to pick up my friend and her husband around 4:00 to go to our other friends for Super Bowl party, it should be fun. Movie night was good, we watched Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. I got home early and finished binge watching Reacher on Amazon Prime which I really enjoyed.

Anne, we are on the same page as far as being caretakers, the only difference is that I am still married, just legally separated. I am thinking long and hard about this but I also don't dwell on it because things change daily in that household. I can't believe he would give up seeing his son whom I would not allow in my house or even near it. I don't know if his granddaughter would visit him here as I haven't seen her in almost ten years. So as I always say, one day at a time. I am picking him up next Sunday for a few hours while they have an open house, so it will be a good time to talk about all of this. No apologizes for any remarks, you know I love you and all the sneakers advice and hope you will still give me any or all advice.

Lin, you are like the sounding board for all your friends and I do hope they appreciate you. I know we do here on the sneakers. I am sure if you called one of your friends for a ride, you have done so much for them. I think if Babe went into assisted living he would just give up but it might be the best option for him unless he can afford to have home help. One day at a time.

Patsy, yes, we would all like to see the tree decorated with hearts. He is a lucky man with a wife who makes all holidays special.

Jackie, your weather sounds horrible as mine is cold but very sunny which helps with moods. George is such a goof ball and love the stories you tell us about him.

Have a great day and stay warm and comfy.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,364 Member
    edited February 2022
    Good day. I am ready to work on the third part of making the background paper for the St. Patrick’s day cards. It always seems so innocent when deciding to make something. 😄😃😄 but then the time involved gets ridiculous. 🤦🏼‍♀️

I am lucky enough today to have the Animal Planet channel working. (🤞🏻) So I will be watching Puppy Bowl this afternoon. I watched all the old background shows this morning, except for the the time when the Live stream of our church service was broadcast. Loving the puppies!!

Sandy, enjoy the Super Bowl party. Are you taking snacks? I will have to check out that show on Amazon. I have seen it advertised but have passed it up.

Anne, stay warm. Jilly has the right idea for the day. “ The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society” was a good book. A few of my friends read it and we talked about it although it wasn’t a book club and I have never seen the movie.

Jackie, wow, what nasty weather! I hope you are dry and warm now. Rugby game over? I always have the idea those games are longer than soccer, that is probably just a misconception of mine. It does look like a very rough game.

Patsy, I think we all want to see your creation. It will be lovely. You are so thoughtful. ❤️❤️

Barbie, hello ❤️❤️

Back to watching puppies. I am addicted!

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

25xbka0nwe68.jpeg

• jacAth3
    Ooh Anne, minus 15 is far too cold! At least our Atlantic storm brought in milder temperatures. I’ve just had a bowl of my bean casserole with grated cheddar which is one of my easier recipes but that’s one less tin of tomatoes in my cupboard!
    I’ll be interested to know what you think of the Guernsey Potato Club movie because I was glad I read the book first, they are quite different. My school friend Anne watched the movie on tv last year and raved about it so I sent her my copy of the book but she hasn’t yet mentioned reading it. Keep warm even if it means wrapping your legs in a throw!

Have a great party Sandy. I’m guessing you don’t care who wins but will have lots of fun.
    I don’t envy the decisions you might have to make in the near future but am incredulous that Babe is apparently being abandoned by his son and DIL now they are selling the house. I’m relieved you are thinking everything through carefully. ❤️

Call the Midwife episode is about to start then I might watch The Power of the Dog that has been nominated for Oscars.

The wind and rain had eased for now. Chrissie just phoned… guess what for? 😏
    Jackie
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hello! Sunny but a bit chilly. Tonight brings rain and colder temps and Valentine day will be very wet and wild. I will have the game on but will only drop in and out as the mood strikes me. John is disgruntled at NFL and our Seahawks are somewhere in the basement in ratings. So! There you have it!

Once long ago my gran admonished me about putting in what she called half an effort on Christmas. She said we get exactly twice as much fun and pleasure as the effort we put into any enterprise. I remember that life lesson and have taken it to heart. For me, “ it is true as true! “ As Gran used to say. I sometimes go overboard and maybe it is not wholly appreciated but I had a lot of fun in the preparation.

We have a family tragedy that has no solution or happy ending. Our daughter Andrea will need to bring her husband home from the hospital to care for him. He fell and he now has some brain damage from brain fluid leakage. He also is suffering from blood clots and kidney disease. There isn’t any available beds in rehab or nursing homes here in Oregon at the moment. This poor man has other issues that make it very difficult. He is seriously dependent on tobacco. I don’t know how a rather likable man turned into such a damaged soul in about 5 years. Our daughter will have her hands full. We cannot help much. We will do what we can. But our daughter really needs to step up deal with this. Also our grown grandson, who lives with them, is willing and able to help. Wow! It really is like watching a slow train wreak! The son in law will not get well, kidney disease requires huge efforts just to stay alive.

Life lesson here is to make every effort to get fit and healthy. Put in the effort to foster joy and spread it around as fast as possible. I think it was Shirley McClain who said,” I am dancing as fast as I can!”
    Patsy☘️🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶❤️

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,148 Member
    <3 My friend who walks with the dogs and me every morning was the sole caretaker for her husband who had Alzheimer's for several years before he died. They could not afford a memory care center and the waiting list was long for people who qualified for Medicaid. She was able to leave for about 30 minutes before daylight to walk with me while he slept and could work in her yard using a baby monitor to be able to listen for him from the yard, otherwise she was with him all the time. She told me a lot of about the challenges and inspired me with her willingness to do what was necessary. She was able to get some respite care workers to come to the house but more often than not, her husband would think they were up to no good and throw them out while she was gone. I learned a lot from her.

:) We have been fortunate here with dry and chilly weather but not too cold. Today we treated ourselves to a trip through the drive through at Taco Time and had a fun meal that was different from what we usually eat. Life is good.

:) I watched a recording of the rhythm dance at the Olympics and now we are watching the Super Bowl. I don't care who wins so it's easy for me to do stuff on the computer while watching.

<3 Barbie
  • JillyBurg6
    Morning. Hey we'd warmed up a degree this morning when we got up. Minus 14 degrees!
    However the good news is, it's Jilly Beans sixth birthday! Happy Valentines Day to all!
    ANNE
  • jacAth3
    edited February 2022
    Happy Monday! Sun, rain and gusty all at the same time. A short walk because the courier delivering my Apple laptop messaged he was on his way from Exeter, about 40 miles away. It has arrived but I’ll sit with it this evening to hopefully find my way round its workings. Also received a message a different courier is on his way with an electric windowsill propagator I ordered on Saturday. I’m still avoiding Amazon and so far pleased with service I’m receiving.
    I had to delay walking Bella but Chrissie says she will take her out instead.
    I’m now Spring cleaning my garden room and watching short, sharp showers rush past the windows.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JILLY BEAN
    xjk3iypqupi7.jpeg
    Lots of woofs and hugs from George and Betty. (8th anniversary for George and me first meeting!)

On with the Spring clean but now I don’t have to go back out will return later.
    Jackie 🥰
  • JillyBurg6
    Jilly sends a big thank you, or actually a woof woof which I think means thank you! Anne.
    PS I'm getting used to the laptop, but it took a while That's probably because I am on the dim side.
  • linder4866
    Happy birthday Jilly🥳🥳

wxu4hhed0rwj.jpeg

Hugs….Lin❤️
  • JillyBurg6
    Happy woof, auntie LIN, Jilly.
    but it could be a dog walking past, not sure, Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Jilly.

hf8wpcz9jmen.gif
  • Sandydur
    Happy Anniversary George!

h21ue1j7cbng.gif
  • linder4866
    edited February 2022
    Jackie….

A very happy George!

w8fmweemm2je.jpeg

Happy anniversary of your first meeting.

Lin
  • linder4866
    I need to do some household chores today, like cleaning junk out of my refrigerator! I found some lemon juice with an expiration date in 2016. Oh my!

See you later.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

ch2b4vcbvm9k.jpeg
  • JillyBurg6
    Oh boy, Jilly says she's one lucky dog!
    Happy Anniversary George from Jilly Bean.
  • Sandydur
    Happy Monday! :) Nice sunny but chilly day, I am staying in and staying warm. Super Bowl party was a success with too much food and I didn't win in any of my pools but still had a good time playing games.
    I didn't get home until near midnight so a little tired today even though I slept longer. Got an email they changed our flights to Arizona so might need to make a new reservation. Will talk to my SIL to find out what are the best days and hours for her. I am going to try a different type of exercise this week as it worked before but I was much younger. It's called the 30 day shred so not sure if I can handle it or not but will let you know. Sometimes I forget how old I am and try to do things I shouldn't. lol

Anne, Jilly deserves a great birthday, she is one little charmer. Give her extra hugs and kisses from me because if I saw her in person I would be slobbered by her kisses. <3 Where did those six years go, it seems like you just got her?

Jackie, the same for George, a lot of people don't like doggie kisses but I love them, Ewok kisses me all the time and Lisa cringes. lol Hard to believe it has been eight years since your first meeting.

Lin, I find items like that is my fridge as well, I immediately toss them but again how does the time go so fast?

Patsy, I hope your Valentines Day is fun and romantic. You and John are a super couple. I am so sorry about your SIL and I do hope your daughter can handle all the stress. It will be wonderful if some home help can come in and help her. Nice that your grandson is willing to help I presume his father correct??

Barbie, your friend must be a saint especially with Alzheimer's. I helped take care of my MIL who got dementia in the end and didn't know me and thought I was Babe's first wife who she did not like.
    It broke my heart but I knew that wasn't her.

Have a great day, mine is flying by because of sleeping late.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    I have no idea how I found my way into my Applemac... Lots of swearing I expect!! I've got passwords and ID's all over the place and think I have connected my iPad to this computer but am beginning to get a sore brain so will leave as is for now!
    Anne, it doesn't help that each item operates in a slightly different way and this laptop is completely different to the iPad. I'm contemplating a mouse but after your experiences won't rush!

George sends loads of barks, kisses and thanks for the congratulations on his 8 years living with me and I say just thanks too as I'm sure you can do without my barking or kisses!
    sryzxzxy7hfm.jpg

My new propagator arrived as I was chopping logs and I heard the courier knock at the back door so walked round the side of the cottage with axe in hand and scared the poor man. It's alright, I'm not coming to kill you and he laughed at that!
    Chrissie phoned to tell me how much better she was feeling after walking Bella so hopefully she is seeing that sitting all day is not good for aching muscles!

Your party sounds fun Sandy even if you didn't win. A 30 day shred sounds scary to me so take it steady. Funny, the other day I was thinking about the indoor exercises I used to find on You Tube to copy when I first joined MFP. Not sure I could do them now!

Lin, you mentioned Rugby seeming a longer match than soccer but it's actually 10 minutes less time on the field. In the good old days it was a rough game where some players did their best to cause serious injuries but it's disciplined now and because players on all teams know each other well because they play together in county matches so have become friends, it's enjoyable to watch. Doctors sit on the sidelines with monitors to watch for any head bangs that might cause concussion and have authority to take players off.

Making my bean casserole yesterday I found an old tube of tomato paste in the fridge door, put my nose to it and squirted it into the pot.... I'm still alive!

That's it, I'm exhausted!!
    Jackie <3

• JillyBurg6
    Sympathies sent JACKIE as you battle with the laptop. It's worth it in the end and I even use the mouse occasionally but mainly do without it and its "magic". Think I'll give the Guernsey pie thing a go tonight. I watched "Their Finest" yesterday. Okay but not enamoured. Isn't George the most gorgeous mature gentleman we know! Lovely photo.

I've just got notification that my Marks and Spencer shirt is on its way. 18th February it arrives hopefully now the truckers aren't blocking the bridges. First thing I've ordered for 2 years so pretty excited!

What on earth is a shred SANDY. I'm so ignorant about these things, cauliflower crusts for instance? PATSY.

LIN, its quite exciting isn't it clearing out a fridge and finding antique food stuffs. Almost like an archaeological dig.

I hope everyone is enjoying today. Still very cold here but warmer temperatures are on the way. Bean and I are snug, she under her blankie and me up to my eyeballs in a heavy knit polo neck sweater. It was -14 when we got up, and then it actually dropped to -16. Think its about -9 right now. Having a large baked potato for supper with lots of butter. My main meal is lunch.

So lets go and find the Guernsey movie on Netflix. Bye. ANNE.