Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    BOB, good morning! I meant to congratulate you on the T-shirt win and ended up trying to pinch it off you! So, Congratulations! Re: you as an innocent 12 year old. We used to play "kiss chase". This involved much squealing on the girls part and making sure we DIDN'T get caught! We would have been all of 7 years old and it was just fun and torment by the boys who liked to make us shriek and run away.
    On a more somber note I spent part of yesterday phoning various private senior homes on behalf of a friend. It was a real eye opener! The monthly average cost for someone fully able to cope on their own apart from meals was $3000 or over. When one started to need more help as in my friends case, it jumped to between $4000 and $6000 per month, and all for a mediocre small bed sitter furnished by self. No wonder seniors worry about their money running out! After calculations and no crystal bowl on her life span my friend (and me in case I need help in the future) is applying for SDL or Support for Daily Living, BUT, there is a 5 year wait list if one is fully functional and a 1 year wait if not. At least one is only paying 30% of ones income with a cut off for the more affluent in pensions and therefore deemed able to afford the posh private places. This is here of course, but it makes one realize if you own the old homestead, and I don't, there probably won't be much to leave the kids! Sorry to put a dampener on a beautiful day, BUT, forewarned is forearmed. I for one will not be so liberal with my paint tubes in the future, lol.
    Anne
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    We are off to the store today. Suppose to rain today.Wonderfull morning right now.
    Will have greek yogurt and strawberries for breakfast
    Good morning to you all.

Marie

• Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Morning,

Marie :) Great news about your health. I must say you had me worried. Always best to get
    those things checked out. You may be surprised with the outcome. Whew!

Anne - We had to take care of my Dad when he was in the nursing home in Florida. Many, many trips on our own money. He had dementia and stayed there for 5 years. 2 years was the normal time for patients. We used all his money and kept some aside so they wouldn't take it all.
    When his money ran out they used his pension and he could stay there. It was a non profit
    residence in Florida. We were blessed with such a fabulous place and people taking care of him.
    When he passed we split the rest of the money, which was not much, among my sister and myself. Yes, save up your pennies as it is very expensive to live alone and then some.

Yesterday was a lot of running around it was my sister's birthday so lunch with her and we met Joe her new boyfriend so never got my usual exercise in for the day.
    A nice visit and she liked her gift. She turned 58.

After that a lot of running around and I did buy a new pair of runners. I have been getting New Balance with success but
    I went with Brooks this time and a larger size. Now to test them out with a walk. Today I will get on my bike, I still have it
    on the turbo trainer and hope to have it off that and on the road this week.

Our boat will be in the water this week and then I can clean the inside and get it ready for the sailing season. It has been
    a slow start this year due to the weather. We have had a great week so far with weather with many people wearing
    shorts around here so I hope it continues. Dave is out and about this morning already picking up our Dodger for the boat which was repaired and getting himself a hair cut.

Well better get going so I can get on that bike. I am also planning on an evening Yoga class tonight.

Have a splendid day!!!

Shirley
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Thanks SHIRLEY for confirming what could be a grim outlook for some of us. I'm so glad your Dad found a great place, as did my Mom in her final 2 years in the UK. It seemed a shame to put such a somber note on a forum that is usually joyful and positive, but ice away those pennies and cents folks, 'tis better to be safe than sorry!
    Happy sailing SHIRLEY,
    Anne.
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have been working on sewing a cloth play house for my daughter. It's the kind that you put on top of a table. She loves to play under the table so my daughter ask me if I could sew up a house for her. It's kind of like a tent but basically fabric on the table that hangs down on the sides. I'm trying to figure out how to make it cute and really like a mini house. It is going to take a while but I have until July cause that is when I will see her again.

Had a nice swim for an hour this morning and then a brisk walk later on in the morning. Went to the school I used to work at and watched the dress rehearsal of the music concert that they will present to parents to night. School is about a 25 minute brisk walk each direction. The weather is good with a slight breeze so it was very lovely outdoors. I want to capture this weather and keep it for the summer.

Marie, I am glad that you are doing better. I was really worried.

Jeri Welcome back form Hawaii. That picture is awesome. I used to go to university over there YEARS ago and I loved it. Nothing like the South Pacific.

Shirley< Good on your getting the new pair of sneakers. You must really be walking a lot.

Anne, Yes the housing for seniors is very expensive. I am glad that my dad only lasted for 3 weeks in the center we placed him in. I think that was long enough.

Sandy, I'd stay happy and keep remember the past if you start thinking of making any serious changes. You seem very happy now. And exhausted too tending Robby.

Bob, Love reading all your interesting comments to everyone. Good on you staying within your calories.

Lin, Sorry to ask this but you haven't mentioned your dad for a long time. Did he pass away while I was gone for a spell? If so I send my condolences.

Barbie, Phoebe and everyone else. HI.

Have a good day,
    Phyllis

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Anne ~ Most of my generation in the UK have different plans for the future.... plenty of SKI holidays ~ Spend Kids Inheritance!! My intention is to enjoy today while I have my health and not worry about what might happen because I could squirrel every spare penny away then die before I get my hands on it again.... now that would be unfair!!

Marie ~ Not great news about your bladder but certainly a whole lot better than you were thinking so I'm delighted. My understanding is the more water you drink and then have to pee the stronger your bladder will get because it's basically another muscle that needs lots of workouts!

Bob ~ You do have an amazing sense for the important things in life since losing weight and I just love your comment about soaking in a hot bath. Many years ago a friend who was larger than life in personality and size literally got herself wedged in her bath and had to call for emergency help thinking a paramedic would arrive but burly firemen turned up instead. They were all very good humored about it but she took showers after that experience.

This morning I walked George nice and early before going for an hour swim at the local pool with a friend. We pretty well had the place to ourselves but still managed to chat at one end or the other in between swimming lengths. Our weather isn't great with showers and gales but I don't have to go out so am pottering at home doing a bit of tidying.

Enjoy your day.
    Jackie
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Just poking my nose in again for the day and speaking from past experience, SANDY, I've never seen a leopard yet who changed its spots, not in the long run, maybe for a short while. Just saying, your call, but worth remembering!
  • Jacean245
    edited May 2015
    Options
    w
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,117 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday!! :D Robby didn't nap well today so I have been on the go all day. I have a meeting tonight so I don't have much time. Thank you for all the comments and I am listening. I really don't think Babe would ever be happy if he chose me over his kids and I would never want him too, not now it is too late. I am happy by myself but with all this talk about nursing homes and such I hope my kids will take care of me because like Jackie I live each day for each day. This should be my last full week of sitting and although I will miss him I am ready to go to two days a week. After all I am ten years younger than Lisa's mother.

I have to get ready and eat before the meeting.
    Hope you had a good day and have a great evening.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean245
    Options
    To be honest, I myself don't HAVE any spare cash to squirrel away anyway! My dad used to say, "the Lord will provide" and He always did. It was just a bit of a shock for my two friends who need help NOW and it's something to be aware of if any of you can manage living later life in a little more luxury. Not that it matters much I guess if you are in the land of nod like two of my long time friends. Trust me to put the spanner in the works! After causing mayhem I shall continue to amble along in my usual way of living life as it comes and keep my mouth shut from now on, which in a positive way is good for the weight off! Oh, and not phone any more private homes! Ignorance IS bliss, lol.
    Sorry folks, Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,173 Member
    Options
    I am so behind on posts my friends. At least now I can read them. It has been a rocky few days with MFP and my laptop once again. I am a broken record about this aren't I??

Today was little thing day........you know, one little phone call after another.....then waiting for an attorney to call me back (which never happened of course). But I'd say things are starting to press on me now---I have to get that house cleaned up and sorted out so I can list it. I have more calls from people and realtors interested in it. But today the realtor, who I believe I will list with, called and again his buyer is getting more impatient to get an acreage purchased in that area. They emailed him about another acreage they heard will be listed soon and it's probably within a mile or two of my dad's place. I'm trying to get the info on procedures I need to follow to get on this. My goal is listing by the end of May. All avenues for help in cleaning the house have evaporated though so it looks like I need to spend days up there working on things which is a problem for me both because I do not like spending nights there now but primarily because I'm allergic to most all cleaning products and when I get in dust and dirt my nose bleeds and I get a headache. So sorry friends, I'm a bit over-whelmed.

All this talk about care in our later years resonates with me. I live alone, I know I have no backup out there since I have no family. That's why I have an emergency call button, why my house is packed with supplies and groceries, why I have 2 vehicles (in case one doesn't run), why I keep emergency funds in my safe and why I try to eat well and keep active every day. It's past the point to be saving money, I'm in spending mode but it's lots happier and cheaper to stay in my home. I just paid out all the $$ associated with my dad's care for the last years of his life and the last few years in particular were crushing. Ack!

Someone, Anne, asked if I went to the street dance? No, it was on and off rain so I decided to stay home. I think I mentioned I watched St. Vincent. Yesterday was a day of running a large number of errands. Got quite a few things accomplished which is rewarding.

I got a shipping notice on the book Patsy, but it could be a few weeks.........looking forward to it.

Happy evening to everyone. Sorry, I didn't respond to everyone..............

Hugs.

Lin
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hi all, we are home for a brief few days. Honey has back problems. She is at the vet, they are treating her and i pray she will be soon! Its been very rough the last few days. Im exhausted, so take care.

Phoebe
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Reading about all of our plans and fears for our declining years, I keep thinking about that wonderful movie "The Exotic Marigold Hotel." I have often thought that a seniors co-op would be a great idea. We have a large acreage, an older home and of course our two sheepdogs. Trying to keep things repaired, maintained, and clean is often daunting. We feel so uncomfortable having strangers come and do various jobs for us. In our area the news is full of terrible tales of seniors being taken advantage of, or worse! If there were a co-op of reliable people we could hire and feel secure about them, it would be great. An exchange of various skills, items, house sitting or caring for our sick or handicapped loved ones, what a relief it would be. We have a seniors center that would be a great clearing house but the interest and will is lacking. Any way that was my random nonsense of the moment. It is a worthy goal and as we all know...the need is great! As we all have said, stay as strong and independent as possible.

Today I feel very insecure and my bones are talking to me. Damp chilly days are not my favorite but as I ride my exercise bike and heft my weights after dinner, I will think of each of you and hope you are able to do likewise.
    Patsy
  • Jacean245
    Options
    PATSY, great minds think alike! You've put into words exactly what I've been twittering on about for years! Isn't LIN sensible with her preparations! Aging is one of the reasons I decided to get back to my twenty year old weight with more walking to strengthen my legs. I want to be independent and strong as long as possible because seniors sometimes ARE taken advantage of. My friend of years is the nicest of people, but she is only 4ft 10ins tall, and is carrying over 200 lbs on two replaced hips. She also smokes, uses a walker, and is terribly vulnerable. In contrast a very slim lady in her nineties lives in a left over farmhouse at the top of my street and in which she was born! She never married, is very feisty with a mind as sharp as a knife, a cutting one at that! and just has one nephew to help her with the groceries. Much as I love my friend guess who I want to imitate! No prizes for correct answer!
    LIN I wish like anything I could help you with cleaning your dads house. I quite like housework. Do you have to sleep there? I mean could you wrap up each day around 5 and bathe, relax, and sleep in a hotel?
    Poor exhausted PHOEBE, I can imagine you are exhausted! And poor little Honey back at the vets.
    On a different note, the weatherman is predicting 30 centigrade for Friday. Can they be right? Phew!
    Happy day everyone, already perspiring at the thought......Anne.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Phoebe sorry o hear Honey is having back problems Hope I is not serious. Poor Baby.Take care
    Love marie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hello Sneakers,

Monday was my sister's birthday and running around so no exercise for me. Yesterday I did double duty
    30 min on my bike (turbo trainer) and a Yoga class at night 75 min. I can feel it today and good thing
    my chiropractic apt was today to get me back to where I was. Feeling better already. Today will be walking
    with my new runners and test them out.

I got some pictures of Isaac so I will post one. He is getting so big.

Our boat is going in water today and tomorrow will be cleaning the inside. Since Dave has been sanding the
    companion way there is all that dust around. Looks like I have my work a head of me.

Shirley

6fjg0pjwmswp.jpg
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hello Isaac, you are so cute, you and Robby should be pen pals!
    Honey is walking again! Im so relieved, i was crying, thought she wouldn't recover.
    Now time for my second appt today, my knee tore more. Probably time for surgery.
    More later

Phoebe
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,117 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Happy Thursday :) Gorgeous day today, Robby and I took over a mile walk. I was sweating by the time we got home. Tomorrow will be my last day of this week. Lisa's mom and dad will be back today but she doesn't want to take Robby there until her and Rob can be with him to get used to them again. Will be sitting on Mondays and Tuesday starting next week except for the following week when I will be in Florida. Tonight is bingo night but have to get home early to get some sleep. Tomorrow is my meeting so probably won't be able to nap in morning.

Phoebe, I sure pray Honey is on the road to recovery,how scary that she couldn't walk. Have you considered pet insurance with how much you love your animals? We had it for Daisy but when we separated Babe stopped paying which I think was a mistake.

Wondering if I could sneak in a nap while Robby takes his.

Have a great day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    phoebe great news about Honey. I hope she is on to way to recovery.
    Marie
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hello Everyone

Shirley - soooooo cute. What a darling. Sounds like you are getting in lots of good exercise and the work on the boat will add more too.
    Sandy - hope you got your nap in and good luck at bingo.
    Phoebe - sorry about your knee. Darn.
    Anne - 30, that is warm for sure. I too lost weight in order to be a healthy senior. Trying hard to keep it off.
    Lin - so hard for you, especially with no family. Hugs my dear.
    Jackie - SKI holidays - I love it!
    Phyllis - the cloth playhouse sounds so fun. Good for you. And yes we love the Hawaiin Islands. Great.
    Bob - thanks. I'll share some photos soon.

Well time to run. I think I'm finally adjusting to the time difference. I'm trying to get in 15 minute stretches of walking as I am still having medical problems that aren't allowing me to do my usual walking. Sure missed not being able to do any hikes when we were away.

Put on 3 lbs on the trip, lost 2 of them. Now to lose even more.

Here's a beautiful flower from our trip. cdb8r4scx2cy.jpg

See you all tomorrow.

Jeri