Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,173 Member
    Options
    Pictures of babies and a gorgeous flower!! Wahoo---love them. And good news about Honey. Very nice day indeed. There are so many grandbabies and great grandbabies in this group now there could be quite a penpal chain! ;)

Late last evening I spoke to the attorney and he suggested that I call the people on my list who told me they were interested in the acreage because if they purchase it I'd save a lot of time and money AND I had nothing to lose by going ahead and calling them so I did. I've called all of them now so I need to get moving for sure now because people want to see the place. Sooooo, the attorney also suggested getting a bid from a professional cleaning company and I did some inquiries and I have a company coming out next Tuesday to give me a bid. The online auction people are coming Tuesday, the air conditioner spring service call people are coming on Tuesday, I have a haircut scheduled for Tuesday, the realtor that I will use if I need one is coming out on Tuesday, and if I have time, I'll drop off that centennial newspaper at the museum.........if not, I'll do it another time. I've spoken to the metal recycling place and they'll take all the old real estate signs so I just need to get to that and I spoke to a moving company about bringing several things form the acreage to my house. That hasn't worked out yet but I'll keep at it because I want to know if it is affordable or if I should just give up and forget about it.

I like a day when I feel like I'm making some forward movement. I think after next Tuesday I'll have a better idea of scheduling trips for the rest of the month.

2017582r1wzje7vd3.gif

Hugs...........

Lin
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Yep, surgery. Trying to set it for next week. Busy day tomorrow, hope to be back with you on Saturday.
    Honey's home! Wobbly, but my girl is home.
    Phoebe
  • linder4866
    Options
    Oh Phoebe - I'm sorry about the need for surgery. Hope to hear from you again soon.............
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Supercalifraglistic! What a beautiful flower. I love Hawaii. When we lived in Alaska everyone headed for Hawaii every winter. We were the worm white folks. We got off the planes and the people always said, "Oh here are the Alaska tourists!" How did they know? Hummmmm

Daughter brought by a early Mother's Day hanging basket for the deck. Beautiful! And we had a nice visit before she had to dash home to fix dinner for her family. I think of my mom around this time of year and laugh. Mom was the worst when it came to growing anything. Plastic flowers were her speciality. We used to say we were one of the first families with a plastic Christmas tree. Mom couldn't even keep Christmas tree needles on the tree for short week. But she compensated by spray painting the tree gold. Memories!
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

7b8o13rwyhrk.jpg
    Enjoyed a delightful walk in the woods with George where the trees are now covered in bright green new leaves so that even on a cloudy day I feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz walking Toto through a magical woodland! Hoping to get some housework done before a walk to the local polling station to vote in our elections. No real choices so thinking of taking my gran's hatpin with me, shutting my eyes and taking a stab to decide who to vote for!!

Bob ~That term 'innocence of youth' certainly doesn't apply today does it. Our all girls school met up once a year for a dance with the local all boys school and my memory is of us girls lined up on one side of the hall and the boys on the other all glaring at each other and then giggling at any friend who actually got invited to dance! Towards the end of this morning's walk I stopped to sit with a gentleman for a chat and he told me about his childhood in the 1940's when he lived on the coast and with a friend made sailboats using blackout blinds and would go miles along the coast, just the 2 of them with no sense of danger. We commented on how we feel kids today are missing out on innocent adventures that teach so much whether it's survival or just plain initiative!

Lin ~ That realtor of yours will have his own agenda so try not to feel rushed into any decisions until you're ready but I think the idea of hiring professional cleaners is a brilliant one and should take a lot of pressure and hard work off your shoulders.

Phoebe ~ I'm assuming it's surgery on your knee and not Honey's back? Everyone I know who's had such surgery has felt a great deal of relief from it so I'm sure it's the right decision. Dear Honey is going through the wars isn't she but thank goodness she has you to love and care for her.

Anne ~ Your experiences with the 2 friends was bound to have you thinking about what might happen in the future and it's certainly a subject worth discussing amongst us because it's fascinating to see how we each approach it and who knows, we might come up with a solution. Working in community care for a few years certainly taught me how important it is to look after our health at this stage in life and to be honest, so long as I feel ok my head is firmly stuck in the sand like that proverbial ostrich rather than contemplate the alternative. The bluebells are struggling to form a carpet but another week and they should be a wonderful kgtypgcjlz0u.jpg
    show.

Patsy ~ Some sort of co-op for seniors is a great idea because so many are vulnerable and we know how many charlatans are out there hoping to take advantage. A friend of mine has talked about a group of us pooling our resources at some point to buy a large property to live in and hire our own care. Who knows, we might do it so long as kids waiting for an inheritance can be patient enough to wait for us all to die!!

Jeri ~ Loving seeing your photos back on our site. What a gorgeous flower! Congratulations on losing 2 of those 3 gained pounds already. My weight has been static for a couple of months now but I'm hoping once we move into summer I'll be able to lose the 6-7 lbs that will take me into the middle of my BMI because right now I'm tottering on the edge of the higher level.

Must get on so a quick hello to all I missed.
    Jackie
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    JACKIE just a quick word before I rush around today. The photos are JUST beautiful, they give me inspiration for my next daub. I love the tree composition, thanks, who's a little love! JERI'S Hawaiian flower is so exotic and beautiful but I can't help thinking when looking at your bluebells:

Buttercups and daisies, the little children's flower,
    Far better than this gaudy melon flower........(if I've quoted right).

It's beautiful here, apple and pear blossom just coming out, front and back.

I approached my friends about the idea of buying a communal property for all our old age when in our fifties, and it was met with a lack of enthusiasm. Maybe just as well, for I would have been the last one standing. I could live on for ages and where would that have left me with everyones kids peering at me wondering when I would keel over. Worse, I could imagine a Ruth Randall novel. DID she fall off the bridge or was she pushed sort of thing. No, I'm afraid keeping healthy is the only solution. Lol. Do you remember the story of the granny who kept a brick in her handbag to hit would be muggers with! Was it true?

Looking forward to your election results.

PHOEBE, all the very best for successful surgery, and please give Honey a hug from me.
    Anne.
    PS: I see you included George! JACKIE. Oh, and those awful dances were called "cattle markets" by the uncouth youth of the North!
  • Jacean245
    Options
    I have to make one more comment for those of us who love old legends. I can imagine the Kings murdered spirit haunting those woods in the winter, but in spring with "the darling buds of May" it's Melangell, the princess who protected the hare from the local prince and would be hunter.
    Hares, called wyn bach Melangell, or Melangell's little lambs, I believe, in Welsh.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    phoebe hate to hear you are having surgery next week. But you been needing it a long time. my prayers will be with you glad to hear Honey is home and hope doing well. Take care my child.
    Marie
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I got up yesterday and decided that I need to take a trip to the states to visit my mom. Within an hour I found a good ticket and had it booked on line and I'll be arriving in the states on the 31 of May. 24 more days!!!! I'll just stay a couple week but I had previously, decided that I would not be able to go to America this summer so this is good news for me and my mom is very happy too. Everyone is happy, I'll be back in time to cook for my husband the whole month of Ramadan, I'll be here in July when my daughter brings the grand daughters to visit and I'll be here the end of the summer when my other son 's wife delivers their first child.
    I had a great hour long swim again this morning and then my husband and I drove out to check on the progress of our new house that we bought. All in all it was a good day. Hope yours is too. Phyllis
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,117 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!!! :) It is indeed a happy day, no more sitting on Thursdays at least not for a while I hope. First it is hard getting up so early after bingo and second now that the landscapers have started with the mowers they wake Robby from his morning nap and he is a cranky little boy until he gets his afternoon nap. I will be sitting on Mondays and Tuesdays until school gets out in June, but that I can handle. To celebrate I am going to my friends farm tomorrow where I can see some of the new baby animals that were born. Then she and I will go to lunch and probably play some slot machines. We will have a nice dinner and I will spend the night there just because I will probably have a glass of wine or two. Saturday Mass and dinner with Babe and on Mother's Day, I am going with Rob and Lisa to her mother's house so I can spend time with family.

Phyllis, great that you found airfare to go see your mom. I miss my mom everyday and it has been 23 years since she has passed. You have lots of exciting things to look forward too, so happy for you. BTW, Lin's father did pass away and that is why she is so busy with all this estate stuff.

Anne, you tell some amusing stored and antidotes, so glad you joined our group.

Jackie, love the pictures and George is one lucky puppy.

Patsy, I don't remember my mom having much of a green thumb either, we had lots of plastic flowers as well.
    I love flowers but living in an apartment I am limited to outside decorations but do my best.

Phoebe, what kind of knee surgery are we talking about? A knee replacement or something else? How is Honey doing and will Jim take as good as care as you do of her??? How long will you be in the hospital???

Lin, you confused me with the attorney telling you to call the interested parties. Are you going to use a Realtor or just try to sell on your own?? Love the idea of having a service coming in and doing the cleaning. Hopefully, soon in the near future this will all be behind you and you can get on with your own life.

Jeri, welcome back and just imagine your vacation was paradise. Sorry to hear you are still having medical problems and hope they aren't serious.

Marie, how is your bladder situation, are you feeling any better??

Just noticed I posted yesterday's post claiming it was Thursday, that must have been wishful thinking. I did win at bingo so it was a good night.

Have a great evening, it is so beautiful here but of course rain is in the forecast.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Options
    Patsy – so nice your daughter stopped by with a plant for you. My mom always made it known she wanted a very nice hanging basket for Mother’s Day. I was more than happy to get one for her each year. My Mom did have a green thumb and her Mother had a VERY green thumb. Over the years my green thumb has been diminishing probably since I’ve not used it for a long time. Think it’s a use it or lose it thing?

Jackie – such beautiful pictures. I love to see the woods decked out with the new green leaves. You have wonderful places to walk. Do you hear my longing? If I walk outside, I’m in a suburb on what they call a walking trail, which in truth, is a concrete wide sidewalk often running very close to a busy street. But given the safety issue now, it’s probably a good thing around here.

Anne – I enjoy all the little snippets you write of verses, and poems---many of which were not a part of my youth but I still enjoy them. Please continue! Speaking of a coop senior housing arrangement, I had talked to a small group of ladies at our church some years ago and there was discussion about having a large house where all of us could have a bedroom and share chores so no one would live alone. Each of us was divorced and it sounded good but as it turned out it was just a pipe dream. Funny though, two of the ladies are sharing a house now as they were best friends and one of them lost her home due to financial problems. Anyway, it’s worked out well for them. Each has gone through cancer treatment and were there for each other. One has a van for taking trips, the other has a small car for driving around town. I don’t have a friend who’s that close. I’d drive anyone crazy!

Marie – I hope you are feeling better.

Phyllis – how wonderful!! I am so happy that you were able to find a favorable air fare and will be able to visit your mom but work it in with everything else.

Sandy – I’m glad you’ll be doing less babysitting. You need a break!! Enjoy your time with your friends on the farm. Oh, and there is confusion indeed. I was ready to just sign a listing BUT the attorney talked me into finishing out the calls on the list I’d been keeping. Over the years I have had 5 couples who wanted to know when it was going to be sold as they were interested (at least at that time). He advocated that I try to play a bit of hardball with the realtor that either we wait to sign a listing until all my people get through the house or that the realtor gives me a discount on the commission for this short list of buyers that I’ve already contacted. BUT we haven’t had that conversation yet and all he is doing is a closer look at the house to say what he thinks needs to be addressed before he would list it. (He only saw it once and didn’t look at it with an eye to a listing since it was just a market assessment at that point.) I would assume he does want the listing so he’s not going to walk away from me even if I do irritate him a little bit.

I really hope I can work something out with this cleaning service. If the estimate is very high I’m going to see if we can go with them doing the heaviest cleaning and I’ll do the light stuff like the vacuuming, dusting, cleaning sinks, tub, shower etc.

It was a rainy day here and I ran a few errands and got a bit wet but that was okay since the rain was a gentle rain rather than stormy and windy. I found some organic Pomegranate seeds at Trader Joe’s today. I got home and got inspired to freeze the seeds. It took very little time so I called TJ’s and now will be picking up an entire box of them tomorrow. Since it’s so difficult here to get Pomegranate seeds on a consistent basis I think this will work out well. Wahoo!

Phoebe--thinking of you and looking forward to hearing from you soon. Hope you were able to get your surgery scheduled……

Everyone take care.

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    GRRrrrrr!, Finally able to type a bit, so had a decent post when WHOOSH, a new website page sweeps in telling me I "Have no permission to do that" and when I finally get back here, it's not the same "here" at all! Back is getting sore again, so I must log off, but first want to say hi to all, Happy for SANDY to have heard those words finally from Babe, very concerned about MARIE' kidney failure, but know several friends on dialysis for many years. One for over 20!!! BOB has become a very handsome fellow!, Happy to see LIN, PHOEBE, JACKIE, PHYLLIS, SHIRLEY, ANNE, PATSY and everyone else! Sorry, unable to sit upright again, and mad about the lost post! Back to notepad next time!
    <3 Buzz
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I also cannot figure out what "page" I was on when everything disappeared! JERI, didn't forget you, either. Read about planning for your future, and want to add that NO one ever feels "ready"! And then they wait until too late! We should have not put it off as long as we did, and everyone in our community loves our newly expanded "family"
    and home! Don't wait too long!!! And start divesting yourselves of "things" you don't really need! It will make life easier! <3 me again!
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options

I'll be going to an AKIKA (pronounced AH Key Kah) I like to say the word, anyway we are going this after noon to this AKIKA. It is a celebration that Egyptian have anytime up to a year after a baby is born. Preferable closer to the birth of the baby but not mandatory. They invite all the relatives and friends and have a Lamb served as the main course of a meal. POOR LAMB! And I don't really care much for lamb meat, but they also have salads and other dishes on the menu. My husbands nephew had a baby boy and this is the reason for this particular AKIKA. We had one in Abu Dhabi when my daughter had her last little girl as well. The good thing there was that my son in law just went and bought the lamb and had it slaughtered and then they took the meat to a restaurant to cook it for us and they had the tables and everything all decorated and so we were able to enjoy a nice party without all the work!! When her first daughter was born, we did everything and had the party at my house and it was A LOT of Work!!. I probably sound lazy RIGHT, but anyway, I'll be off today later on to celebrate this birth of this little guy. Should be fun seeing all the relatives that I have not seen for a while.

So there you have a little cultural lesson for the day. Hope you all have a wonderful week end. Happy Mothers day to all!.Phyllis
  • Jacean245
    Options
    LIN thank you for the vote of confidence in my ramblings and especially of past memories. I often think "oh Anne, put a sock in it, no ones interested", then I think, well everyone CAN skip me! I however, am most interested in other peoples past lives and especially the ones who grew up totally differently from myself. For instance Mothers Day is coming up. When I was a child, and indeed with my own children; it wasn't commercialized at all. We went to Sunday school, and once let out went to the hedgerows and meadows to fill a jam jar with wild flowers. Mother's Day is in March in the UK, but you could always find the little yellow shiny petalled celandines, small wild violets and the odd daisy. Grown children didn't buy their parents a gift at all. Today, my children are so very good to me, but I remember those wilting, drooping flowers picked by their small hands with great nostalgia.
    I am so pleased that everything appears to be coming together for you LIN. Our parents deaths leave a terrible hole in our lives, and that tied with the winding up of possessions etc is very draining. When faced with a root canal or something; I think in 24 hours it will be a memory. Likewise, in a few months, you can concentrate on LIN and at least relax. God bless.
    BUZZ, you seem to have got your "today" in a very nice place indeed. I started weeding out unwanted knick knacks and clothes, and then my lovely DIL gave me 300 odd books! I think I've read about 5 up to now and THEY at least are ready for the charity shop!
    Mikes coming over on his day off for lunch and a visit to Chapters for us to buy his boy birthday gifts. So bye everybody who made it this far, Anne.
  • Jacean245
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Should point out for the sake of my sons and their masculine feelings, they didn't pick me flowers after the age of 5 and the start of school! Like Bob, NOT a good idea. Too much like Monty Pythons "I am a lumber jack and I'm okay"! Instead it became a homemade card! ANNE.
    I've just seen PHYLLIS's post. How interesting Phyllis! Well except, as you say, for the poor lamb!
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,117 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Happy Friday!! :) I thought I would sleep until noon today but according to Fitbit this is how I slept.
    Actual sleep time
    7hrs 59min
    Bed time 11:45PM Fell asleep in 3min Awakened 16 times In bed time 8hrs 34min Sleep efficiency 94%
    More sleep than I get when sitting so I am not complaining.

Anne, there are so many "Hallmark" holidays it is hard to keep up with them, but Mother's Day is so special.
    As I told my kids, I don't care about gifts but I do like a nice sentimental card. I am a big card giver and try to send a card for important occasions. A hand picked bouquet sounds wonderful, if memory serves me right and that is doubtful, I may have picked dandelions from our backyard for my mom. In truth I would rather give than receive. <3

Phyllis, it is always interesting to hear about new customs, thanks for sharing.

Buzz, have you been to the doctor for your back?? I worry about you taking care of Mike but not yourself. And I too, am happy that you moved to your community where you have an extended family. <3

Lin, I agree with you, I do need a break even though it feels weird not to have Robby today. I already feel more rested so I am happy to share Robby with his other grandma. Thanks for clearing up my confusion. I don't think your Realtor will be happy if he does all kind of work and you decide to sell by owner, but at least you haven't signed anything with him. Keep us posted.

Going to play catch up on the computer and then off to my friends. Have a wonderful day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hello - the morning is melting away once again!

Anne - I enjoy all of your posts so no worries---I do not just skip over them!

Buzz - good to see you and I always look for anything you post on the news feed as well.

Phyllis - no, you don't sound lazy, I think it's great that you will be able to just enjoy the celebration.

Sandy - the realtor did do the market assessment last year and I offered to pay him for it but he wouldn't take a fee for that. Otherwise, he's done nothing so far other than calling me to see if I was ready to sell as he has an acreage buyer. I just need to talk with him because it's not as if I would list by long distance. We never really nailed down fees etc. I would prefer to just get the place ready, let my short list of couples see the property and then hand off to him with a break on commission for these people who have been in contact with me over the years. If that is out of bounds, I guess the attorney should not have suggested it........

I'm on a new quest. My old gas stove now has 2 functioning burners (which won't turn down low enough some days), the light in the oven doesn't work and it isn't a burned out bulb, the self-clean function isn't working and the oven also doesn't heat evenly so that's a problem. I think I need to look for a new one.

Onward and happy mother's day to all dear Sneaker moms!! I'll be thinking of my mom and grandmothers on Sunday. Hugs.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Anne ~ You asked me to report on the UK elections and basically the Scottish National Party has thrown out all Labour and Conservative mp's in their country and I feel after 500+ years of England telling them what they can and can't do, they deserve a say in their own destination! For the past 5 years all parties could have been thrown in a bag and shaken up before tipping out and I couldn't have told who was who so the fact we ended up with a Conservative government with a small majority won't make a difference to our lives. The Labour and Lib Dem leaders have resigned so hopefully a few refreshingly new faces will appear!! I walked George to the polling station about 8pm last night but although he was allowed in he didn't get a chance to vote!

Marie ~ Thank you for pointing out we weren't MFP friends, something I hadn't noticed either but we've put that right now! 1152474qnxuedjpni.jpg

Hello to everyone else but I must get on with jobs I'm in the middle of. Forgot to weigh myself this morning although it could well have been a Freudian slip!! Willhop on the scalesin the morning.
    Jackie
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Good Morning

Phoebe - sorry to hear about your surgery. Darn.

Patsy - thank you for your nice comment about the picture I posted. As for white skin in Hawaii it was the same for us on the beach in Miami. We live in Calgary in Canada and one winter went down to see my sister who was living there. We went to the beach, Canadians were the only ones braving it. My sister said someone commented on how white her skin was too. LOL

Jackie - love, love, love your photos. So nice. As for my weight, those extra lbs are now gone, now to lose another 6 and I'll be happy.

Phyllis - good for you for booking your trip. Sounds like a great celebration you are having as well. Enjoy n

Anne - it's hard to get rid of books. We have to cull ours again too.

Sandy - enjoy your time off. I don't know how you do it. I would be so exhausted.

Lin - new stove. We had to buy a new gas stove too as our oven went. Hard to cook Christmas dinner, which we did, without a big oven. What kind are you looking at?

Buzz - sorry you are having health problems. The movie sounded great. Lost post - you and I are tops on that one.

Went to doctor yesterday. He still doesn't know what's up with the problems I am having with the nerves in my hands, legs and feet. Waiting for a nerve conduction test. Darn.

With the health problems I'm having I'm really only up to 15 minute walks at one time. Hard to burn many calories like that.

Here's another photo from our trip. This was taken from our room.

s28ionoh09lf.jpg