Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• virruth
    virruth Posts: 169 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Hi to all my Pals….Well the summer visitors are all gone now and we approach September with lots of med appointments. Since Deb and Lo are approaching 70 and I am starting to near 90….we are getting to the point of having labs and tests to check us out. Add Charlie, my son in law, and its lots of days with at least one medical visit.
    Lin, I admire your getting in and doing…whereas I just talk about getting in and doing. Deb and Cha have so so much to clean out. But I have so little its shameful I do not get to it. I could not do that method of decluttering the 30 day. If I am in the mood, I may want to do 30 on day one!😲
    Anne, glad to see you are pretty adjusted to your living and the scale weighs to the positive.🥰
    Sandy, you are such a gad about and take care of everyone, too.💙
    Jackie, you are quite the farmer….Deb is getting Cha to plant a few veggies - tomatoes and basil in the garden and many thriving roses, but I only have dwarf palms and bougainvillea to look at. Which is beautiful. Especially when sitting out at night and the garden lights upon it. Take time to relax in your cozy new chair. ❤️
    Barbie, luv the pic of Bodhi and Bessie.
    Hi to all you other Sneakers. Enjoy the weekend.
    Joy

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,195 Member
    Options
    Loveburg87 wrote: »
    Well I’m smiling and I couldn’t be happier. My grandson Derek proposed to lovely Bev under my old apple tree in the garden of the house he was born in. I’m so pleased for them. I love Derek to pieces and he couldn’t have chosen a nicer or lovelier girl.

Anne.

What wonderful news Anne! ❤️❤️

I need to get back to work on some cards. Will be in touch tomorrow.

Be safe.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

ycti1lv8grr3.jpeg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,000 Member
    Options
    :) There is a great series on Netflix about people who live to be 100 in the blue zones and how they live their lives. There are some great lessons for us all and great people and great scenery. Put "blue zone" in the search and you'll find it.

:) Jake talked to a woman on staff at the humane society and found out more about Bodhi's history. He is only seven months old and was found with a brother and sister where they had been abandoned in a dumpster behind a grocery store in Northern California. The sister was adopted in California and the brother was adopted earlier in the day that we got Bodhi only shortly after they arrived in a van from California with a dozen other dogs. No wonder he is so fearful and puppyish. We have an appointment on Wednesday to adopt him. It will take awhile but this is the month for us to learn more about patience. He has learned so much already. Bessie and he are bonding.

<3 Barbie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) It's going to be a pool weekend with hot weather. Marisa and Cheryl will be joining me at the mass for Babe and then we are going out to dinner. Marisa is home for the holiday weekend.
    Went to see some friends that are here from Tennessee and it was nice catching up with them. They just became grandparents and plan on coming once a month to see their new grandson.
    I leave next Thursday for Colorado to meet my great granddaughter so it will be a busy week of getting things together and possibly sitting. Really need a manicure and possibly a pedicure.

Barbie, how sad for Bodhi and his siblings, I am so happy they were rescued. Wonderful news about the adoption, congratulations to both Bodhi and you.

Lin, busy, busy, busy.

Joy, good to hear from you and glad you had a wonderful time with family.

Anne, congratulations to Derek and Bev and to you as well. For some reason I thought they were married but happy for them. It sounds to me like you can ask the cook to make you what you love, she probably loves the fact you love veggies where the others don't.

Jackie, you must be busy with your garden.

Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• barbiecat
    Options
    :)Sandy, You have had an abundance of family lately. How wonderful for you.

:)Anne, I love hearing how well things are going in your new abode.

:):)Joy, we have lots of medical test here, too. How fortunate we are to live at a time when medicine knows so much.

:)Lin, You are so busy and creative.

<3 Barbie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello, the temperature is on the way up! I went out early this morning, cleaned up some dead foliage in my veggie containers and watered them thoroughly. I set up a template and stamped and cutout 20 little doggies. They are so cute. Now I want to setup another template to stamp and cut out 20 sentiments. Must be having a good time, I have inky fingers. 😉

Sandy, wow, time for traveling again coming up soon. Did you get your lease extension signed? Happy pool weekend.

Barbie, well, you have a puppy to train. 7 months old, in the best of circumstances, can be quite puppy like rather than mature dog. Glad everyone is getting along and that you are doing the formal adoption.

Joy, sitting outdoors sounds lovely. Do you have fireflies? I love them but we don’t seem to have any this year. We do have some mosquitos. Ick! So time for annual checkups? Best wishes.

Anne, any veggies for you today? I thought of you yesterday as I ate my fresh green beans. Maybe everyone at your table can get their veggies in little dishes separate from their plates and then they can slide their portions to you. A microwave will be nice.

Jackie, any dry weather in your area?

Well, must trot along. Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

6epm62gfj9y9.jpeg
  • Loveburg87
    Loveburg87 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Well, I’ve reverted back to my sensitive side, I actually said good morning to the lady across from me who was nasty about Jilly Bean. She didn’t reply but looked shocked. Anyway, we both tentatively nodded to each other at lunchtime. We are too old for feuds and I’m glad I started the ball rolling when one poor soul keeled over later at another table. I think she’s okay, but it’s inevitable in a senior living home.

I’m so happy you are adopting the puppy. He will bring you so much joy in the years to come, BARBIE and Jake.

Here it’s hot and windy with rain forecast any minute.

Anne.
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,770 Member
    Options
    It seems late summer has arrived, finally. Early on to the moors for an hour with the pooches then stopped on my way home to see friends Christine and Richard. No sign of Christine who had gone to fields a couple of miles away where her 2 horses stay this time of year so I chatted to Richard for half an hour about what a bad year it has been for veggie growing. He had the same disappointments with peas, kale and beetroot so definitely the bad weather that caused problems. I came away with a dozen eggs from their new pullets because my one larger hen that does lay is now moulting and looks oven ready so no eggs from her. Storm does produce the occasional small egg that I hard boil for salads. Lots of gardening has left my back complaining but I did enjoy the afternoon in warm sunshine.

As I was leaving yesterday morning to drive to the moors, peter and Richard arrived but when I got back home they had gone! Lunchtime I received a text that said because it had rained they went home so I messaged back ‘what rain?’ It hadn’t rained where I was walking and was certainly dry at home so it seems a very quick shower had sent them packing when it would have been a perfect day to finish. This coming week might be too hot for the lime mortar and I really want my garden back and the cement mixer that is blocking the side entrance gone!

Hang in there Anne. It seems a sense of humour is paramount. That and a microwave! It’s fabulous news about Derek and Bev who I hope will visit regularly if you decide to stay.

Oops, it’s midnight and I need my sleep. 🥱😴. Hello to everyone else. You are all keeping busy I see.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Another pool day with temps going to 95. Had a nice dinner with Cheryl and Marisa, beautiful restaurant and good food. Tomorrow we will have our end of pool party with each of us bringing something to eat and drink. However, they are extending our hours this year until the end of September except for next weekend when the guard goes to reserves for the weekend. Otherwise they will be open 1-7 during the week and regular hours on weekends I think. I will be gone the next two weekends but will be back for the third and gone again the last weekend thus we decided to have our end tomorrow.
    I ordered groceries for delivery later this afternoon from Walmart. Hopefully they have all I need for tomorrow and the rest of the week before I go to Colorado. I still want to get a mani/pedi but have to figure out when. I have a doctor's appointment for my yearly wellness Tuesday but not sure if I am needed to sit this week. Waiting for an answer from my son and Lisa.

Enjoy your Sunday Funday day and I hope the sun is shining for you.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Happy Monday! The sun is shining and we are enjoying a mini heatwave; although it might only last a day! I walked just after 7am when cool but George kept disappearing and ignoring me so when I did get hold of him he went back on his lead because I was expecting the electrician who has a couple of small jobs to do for me and didn’t want to be late. Peter and Richard are here for hopefully the last full day but the electrician is delayed after an early call out so we needn’t have rushed.
    My own job today is to take up the drainage grids along the back wall and sweep out leaves. The sun will hit that wall by lunchtime so I’ll be able to wash the wall and perhaps even brush on a fresh coat of paint.

Sandy, I’m sure that will be great to extend your pool visits. We don’t want to rush into Autumn do we! Your visits sound so exotic to me as you flit from one State to the next!

I hope everyone is well, including pooches. Take care and stay safe.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Monday/Labor Day! :) Pool party for the last weekend some of us will be together. I will be gone the next two weekends and others will be gone the last two weekends so we decided to have our end of pool day today. It is going to be hot again and with food and drink it should be fun. Tonight I might go with a couple of the ladies to hear some music at our September Fest, I will see how tired I am later.
    Still waiting to see when they need me to sit for volleyball or if Rob is going to office, I am guessing they won't know until tomorrow. I only have Tuesday and Wednesday to get ready for my trip but It should be fine.

Enjoy your holiday and or Monday.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Loveburg87
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Very hot here at 90C and will be for the next few days.
    I took Jilly. Bean out in the relative early cool, others had the same idea and the Bean was an immediate hit with everyone outside.
    A menu was posted as usual with the choices for dinner tonight. Most people were moaning because most folk were unhappy with one choice. Sole. One old lad couldn’t understand why I would love sole! I explained I once lived near a fishing port and he gloomily said “well the sole here comes from Europe”. I’m from Europe I explained. Actually with air travel and refrigeration who cares where it comes from.
    I’m not sure who’s going to get fat first. Me or the Bean from all the treats she’s offered.
    More later because it’s almost lunchtime. Brekkie was bran flakes, orange juice, coffee, two small slices of gluten free toast and a hard boiled egg. Two of my dining companions always have two large rashers of bacon and scrambled eggs with toast and lots of jam. Loads of choices here.

Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello, busy this morning catching up on some laundry. I attended online church yesterday morning and finished up the cards to send to charity. Now I need to get a box prepared and a form ready to enclose. Seems to take longer than it should. But right now, I need to do some cooking. I’ve run out of leftovers. Also need to get started on some ideas for fall/Thanksgiving cards as well as more birthday cards. Come on brain!

Jackie, I hope all has gone well today. I hope the electrician showed up. It sounds like a big job with the drainage grids.

Sandy, pool party sounds lovely. Enjoy whatever you do later today….

Anne, aha, off with the darling little Bean. She always attracts much attention. What type of treats do folks offer her? I hope they do not make her ill. Enjoy your dinner. I hope it is English fish. 😎

Hello Barbie, Joy, Diane, Jeri and any other Sneakers who stop by.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

q3g5egvedns2.jpeg
  • jacAth3
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Peter and Richard worked hard to finish then tidy up. What a messy job, or perhaps Richard, who was mixing the lime mortar in a cement mixer, was splashing about too much! They have covered the areas worked on today with the large sheets of hessian, to avoid it drying too quickly but that includes the windows so I’m in the dark until at least Thursday.
    Cleaning out the drains wasn’t major although once I removed the grids it became obvious it needed doing. The difficult bit was bending to scoop out the muck because it’s close to the wall so knees and thighs were put to good use! If dry tomorrow I will paint the wall where it meets the grids. The postman arrived while I was scooping and told me off for bending badly! He delivered 2 macrame plant pot holders ordered from Etsy that are beautiful and now I just have to find the right place to hang them, definitely somewhere Brady isn’t tempted to leap up to grab my spider plant.
    Electrician Josh arrived after lunch so I finally have a light with pull switch in the upstairs loo. He then replaced a couple of wall sockets I didn’t trust because they appeared to flash where they shouldn’t and delivered an outside light to be installed when Peter finished. He will pop in late one afternoon on his way home from a job since he lives only half a mile away.

A grand teapot Lin!

Ah yes Anne, Dover sole that French and Spanish trawlers were allowed to fish when our own weren’t. One of the reasons we came out of the EU! Not much has changed. A beautiful, delicate fish that we only see in expensive restaurants now.

I’m going to see if I can call my brother Bernie living in Spain because I see there have been some nasty storms and flooding over the weekend.

Jackie 🥰
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :'( my dog walking friend injured her ankle and must stay off it for a week. We will miss her but it is allowing more flexibility in our morning. First Jake takes both dogs to the yard for 10 minutes while I fix their breakfast. Then I have my breakfast and a chat with Jake. Then I take both dogs to the yard for 20 minutes. Since it's still so dark we decided to not take Bodhi out of the fenced yard. Next Bodhi goes back into the house and I take Bessie for a walk on her leash. Whe she's had enough, I walk by myself for an hour or more.

:)Lindo you try to make every card different or do you make several from each design?

:)Sandy being with all those people all the time would exhaust me but you seem to thrive on it

:)Anne, . Jilly seems to be getting as many treats as she can handle. Are they good quality?

:)Jackie wow, what a lot is being accomplished at your house

:) Jake and the dogs are napping and I have some time to myself

<3 Barbie
  • Loveburg87
    Options
    I’ve no idea about the quality of the treats BARBIE, just trying to eliminate as many as possible.

It’s interesting living here. Yesterday at dinner time one of the ladies brought in some kids toys she was trying to sell. You throw them on the floor and these plastic balls light up as they roll along. This when the servers were trying fo serve everyone. Anyway, she picked them all up and proceeded to throw them on the floor again, but the last one she threw too high and it made a parting in a ladies white hair as it sailed across the dining room. That was the end of that which is just as well. What if she’d hit a server with a tray full of hot food.!!!!!!

We had peas at lunchtime. Again I was the only one who ate my peas. How can you not like a pea? I can feel physically ill if I don’t get my veggies. Which reminds me of a little poem.

I eat my peas with honey,
    I’ve done so all my life.
    It makes my peas taste funny,
    But keeps them on my knife.

This morning I took the Bean out for a walk before the heat reached 94C. Then we sat on one of the seats outside and talked to Vern who hailed from Berlin, Germany many moons ago. Then things got interesting. A postal van arrived and stopped. Then one of the renovators parked behind the postal van, at which point the mail man decided to reverse and backed with a crash into the renovators car. Lots of examinations followed which interested my nosy little dog no end, not to mention me and Vern. It’s so different living here after my almost nun like living in the cottage. I think nosy Jilly is starting to enjoy herself as well.

Almost dinner time, but I am so stuffed from lunch I shall eat very little. I think it’s shepherds pie.

Anne, wondering what tomorrow will bring..

• Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) I have been running all day, first for a doctor's appointment, then for a mani/pedi and then to get my teeth cleaned because she had a cancellation and wanted to know if I wanted to come a few weeks early which I did. I am going to eat dinner now and then sit while parents play volleyball.

Have a good evening.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Anne, your stories are hilarious and I was laughing out loud at the lit up rolling balls. You couldn’t make it up could you! 😆. Once again it’s a shame we have the pond between us because I now have a freezer drawer full of frozen homegrown beans and peas. Instead of a bunch of flowers when visiting I could have offered green veggies! Love your little poem. You are meeting some interesting people and adventures occurring to entertain you!

Another beautiful day and early walk then back home I have been slowly organising the areas left in a mess by my builder friends. All the rubble that’s come out of the wall was bagged up and I was told they aren’t heavy but I can’t lift most of them so will have to hire someone to remove them. My outdoor tomatoes got a bit of a bashing so I’ve removed them from the vines even though still green in the hope they will ripen on a sunny window. I even managed some weeding late afternoon when the temperature dropped slightly. That’s me. I’m enjoying pottering and now look forward to seeing the sun through my windows when the hessian is finally removed. It’s so dark downstairs I’m spending little time inside.

Bedtime!
    Jackie 🥱😴
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :)Anne I just delivered home grown cucumbers and cherry tomatoes to three of my neighbors. I wish I could have brought some to you

:) We are watching the 1937 movie "Lost Horizon "

🌞🤩Barbie
  • linder4866
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Good evening. I have my card donation all boxed up and ready to take to the post office. I cut apart several die sets of different leaves to use for fall cards and this afternoon and have been cutting out what is called Mosaic Maple leaves from one of them. I am using metallic paper that looks like copper which I like quite well. A background layer needs to go behind these cutouts. I am not sure what I will use for those.

Barbie. All of the cards will be the same and I will send them out for Thanksgiving. Some birthday cards are unique to the person and sympathy cards definitely are but with most of the cards I tend to make now, I more often make multiples.

Anne, my goodness what stories you have! I had no idea they you would be entertaining us so much. Thanks.

Sandy, busy, but you got lots accomplished today.

Jackie, I hate heavy stuff that needs to be moved. And men seem to think everything is light. 🧐 Not so. I hope your tomatoes ripen. It is an early end of the season here. I spent hours on the phone today talking to several different friends. The one who gardens, says the same thing, many of her vegetables are done for, including the tomatoes. Unusual season.

Wishing everyone well.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

rlyyojjmcyq4.jpeg