Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,101 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Happy "Red Nose" Thursday! I see no sun right now, but being in Florida that changes quickly. Tonight I am told the neighbors do what is known as Palm Tree Thursday or whichever day of the week they choose. They all meet out in front of one of their houses under a lighted palm tree and chit chat with the beverage of their choice. So I asked my daughter to take me to Walgreens to buy red noses for all. It is for charity and will make a great picture.

Buzz, great to hear from you and happy your son is doing well. As far as suggesting Al Anon to Mikes daughter it can be difficult when in denial. For years I had tried to get Cheryl to go but like most she said it is not her problem. If done with concern and not with confortation, it might be better if her sister talked to her. If she is a computer person you could suggest that she check out http://www.al-anon.org. Good Luck.

Lin, I am worried about you and do you think maybe a doctor's visit is in order? Going back to bed might be a good thing.

Phoebe, I know what you mean about a 6AM wake up, I still have a few of those when I return.

Anne, good morning to you as well, what are today's plans?

Patsy, I loved American Sniper, especially since it was a true story. Yes, there is violence because of the war, but it is important to the movie. I love Bradley Cooper, so it was a win win for me.

Still no sun, might be a relaxing day inside. Enjoy your day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

Sun is out!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,150 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Home to get some foooood. I'm going to see if I can post a picture or two of my dad's house/acreage. Fingers crossed. On my laptop everything is upsidedown--on my iPad all is fine. I don't get it. Anyone know how to fix them? Meanwhile, one pic is the front of the house, one is a closer view of some of the front landscaping, the last is a sample of the evergreens in the windbreak around the property (my dad planted all of them and they've grown so nicely). If you clock on the individual image files at the bottom of the post one by one they seem to come up ride way round........thanks.

puglr1u2r368.jpg
    5war8swcrvne.jpg
    wcw7268v9gak.jpg
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Fabulous photos LIN. The conifers are beautiful especially as they have all that space to spread out and the property looks stunning so I'm sure you'll get lots of interest. All I did was tap the pad on my laptop once and the photos flipped themselves into the top left corner about 1/3rd the size but plenty large enough to see everything. Thanks for sharing as it's so nice to put a picture to the stories you've been telling us.

Just in from an afternoon of gardening and throwing a ball for George! Cup of tea time and then a stir fry. Feeling "knackered" but will hopefully pop back later this evening. ANNE, don't do what I've done and wear yourself out!

Jackie
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    LIN, LOVELY property. You should have no trouble at all. Like JACKIE, I love the conifers. Too late JACKIE with the warning. Already knackered, but a nice knackered. I shall enjoy "teatime" with the raisin bread I've just baked. Baked because I'd run out of bread and didn't want to go out for more seeing Michael will be over tomorrow for groceries. We are picking grandson and nephew Derek up to take him out for lunch before he starts his first full time job next month now he's graduated. BIG treat for me. Anne.
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Slept well but too long. We are having a cool down here. Low 50s tonight, maybe even 40s!
    Anne, I like all of the programs you mentioned and I'll look for the one I don't know, Daziel?
    lin, that's a beautiful property, it should sell soon. Your spasms sound like 1. muscle fatigue. 2. A deficiency. You know more about those things than me. Hope you are relaxing now.
    I was in the backyard evaluating what I'll need to do before work on the new storage building begins. I have lots of perennial plants to move. Unlike you true gardeners, I am Not looking forward to this.lol!
    pre op dr appt went well except i forgot to take the paperwork i was to get all filled out and back to the office. Had a spell myself, joints all ached.
    Must do Something today, and like Lin, afternoon Farmers Market.
    Phoebe
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A cooking day for me today. I am baking chocolate chip cookies for Isaac's party. He won't be able to eat cookies yet but soon enough. I picked up a large shrimp ring that my MIL wanted to bring for her contribution. I will pick the cheese tray tomorrow.

Looks like Dave is going up North to the cottage to help with removing the old roof and putting up a
    new one with his nephews and some other guys. No he is not going on the roof but will help
    down below. Our friend Tom is coming along to help too.

My friend Donna came yesterday to drop off her gift for Isaac since she will not be coming with us. I took her to Ridgeway to see a store called Unique Creations and she did like it. Then we went to the Flying Squirrel for coffee and tea then back to our house so she could beat the traffic on the bridge back to the states.

Dave and I went for a nice walk this morning and met a gentleman with two basset hounds, they were adorable. Well
    back to baking and then making some soup for our lunches.

Sandy - A lovely picture of you in the pool you sure don't look your age. I hope the rest of the trip goes well and don't
    let that comment bother you or spoil your trip.

Marie - I am happy the Vegan way of life is helping you. I am sure you will see a difference on your next doctor's apt.

Hi to everyone else!!

Shirley
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    So nice to be welcomed back! You are uppermost in my mind even when I seem absent! I must shower and get prepared for an early dinner reservation , but couldn't resist popping in today!
    JACKIE, yes I was up far too late, so I overslept today! We have to get up very early tomorrow as we will be seen as first appointment at a fine neuroscience center recently opened nearby. Am I hoping for miracles? I guess!
    PHOEBE, thanks for the kind words; I will try to appear more often! You try to get more sleep! When is surgery scheduled? Rest, rest. rest!!!
    LIN, I recognize some of your talk of spasms and wonder if your potassium count is either too low or high? And I was told some time ago that drinking a large amount of water might throw the electrolytes out of whack! Everything keeps changing! I do hope you can discover the cause, as those spasms are so painful! Your poem is one I have also never seen, but I'm printing it to re-read often! Thanks, dear. Your Dad's place is gorgeous, even upside down! Wish I knew what JACKIE taps to turn them around! I'm tapping my touchpad but nothing responds!!!
    ANNE, your plantings are truly lovely! But why do I have to stand on my head to see posted photos lately? They show up on my computer upside down or sideways!
    SHIRLEY, what a nice celebration to be baking for! Love the names of the shops near you! And good news that Dave will be an overseer rather than climbing on the roof! Too dangerous after age 50!
    Hi to everyone not yet here, and if someone can figure out the upside down photos, I'm listening!
    <3 Buzz
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Buzz, my view is askew too♥ I can only suggest you Right click on the photo and see if there is an option to either save or edit photo, then save it to desktop, then go to desktop right click and see if you get an Edit option. From edit, you can find a rotate choice. Rotate usually 2 times. After viewing, if you dont want to keep it, right click on desktop photo, delete.
    I forgot to mention that peaches are here! I just bought 2 dozen for dh. They are small as they are the first crop. Smell good too! Enjoyed our small town market today. Got a new solar light that may last 8 years! All of my old ones need batteries and they poop out in 1 year or so. Have a good evening
    Phoebe
  • Shirley61
    Options
    I too am having trouble with upside pictures. If anyone finds out let us know how to change that.

I forgot to mention to Lin, your Dad's house is beautiful and I think you should not have any trouble selling
    unless the asking price is too high, that usually stalls things but I am sure your real estate broker knows best.
    I agree with Buzz about the spasms, either too low in potassium or not enough water. I hope that eases for you,
    I know from experience that can be painful.

Happy evening,

Shirley
  • Shirley61
    Options
    I too am having trouble with upside pictures. If anyone finds out let us know how to change that.

I forgot to mention to Lin, your Dad's house is beautiful and I think you should not have any trouble selling
    unless the asking price is too high, that usually stalls things but I am sure your real estate broker knows best.
    I agree with Buzz about the spasms, either too low in potassium or not enough water. I hope that eases for you,
    I know from experience that can be painful.

Happy evening,

Shirley
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Lin. Your Dads house and property is just lovely good luck in selling it. You should have no problems in sellin it.Sorry folks I have not been around much hopefully this weekend things will improved with my computer Thi IPad is driving me nuts and so hard on my eyes.

Marie o:)
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone....
    I too am looking at upside down images and I am using my laptop. Just tried to right click with my mouse and in the box that appeared it said to view image so I clicked that and it became right side up. Now I had to do it with each individual picture, but at least the problem is resolved. On my last laptop I just tapped the image and it would right side itself, but not this Windows 8. Hope this helps everyone. Preview button had this very small. Hope that it is larger when it is posted.

:) Diane
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Morning everyone. Off for a short walk this morning as planning meeting friends on the moors this afternoon for a hike! In order to turn the photos the right way up I position the cursor on the picture and do one firm tap on the touch pad with finger and it spins the right way up into the left hand corner. Sheer fluke that I found it... more out of frustration but mine can't be the only laptop capable of such a move surely. It's an ASUS.

Weighed myself yesterday and have lost the 2 lbs gain thanks to the fasting day so will definitely go back to doing the same once a week as I feel so much better for it and psychologically I'm on the right side of the 12 stones I currently hover around so a happy bunny!

Must get on and hopefully less tired this evening so will pop back.
    Jackie

• Jacean245
    Options
    Morning SNEAKERS, I'm out today for lunch with grandson Derek, and my son, his uncle Michael. Just want to warn JACKIE and her friends who are going out for a hike on the moors to watch out for large ferocious black hounds! Also strange men wearing deerstalker hats carrying magnifying glasses!
    Cheers, Anne with the E.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) Another beautiful day in paradise. Unfortunately I couldn't get the red noses since they were sold out. It was fun sitting outside under a lighted palm tree. Kristy and Carl have great neighbors. Giving myself a bye week on the pound a week club as Kristy's scale is different from mine and I am sure I have gained a few pounds. I try to watch what I eat but eating bigger lunches than I normally eat and consuming more alcohol. B) i will get back to normal when I get home.
    More pool time today, tomorrow I think we are going to the beach, weather permitting. Also my daughter is a secret diner so she and I are going for a really nice dinner after Mass tomorrow. Two more days left and back to Illinois, bittersweet.

Have a wonderful day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Greetings Sneakers! We are going to have a wet weekend, I will not be tempted to spend much time outside. I have been trying to plan a Memorial Day lunch for hubby and daughter and family. I fear it is not working out. That's okay. There are opportunities this summer for get togethers.

My flower planting is going slow. Not many days that are even dry enough to get out and weed. I am planning more clearing out of cabinets and closets. Feels so good to unclutter a cabinet.

My foot problem is getting better. I have a wound that simply will not heal. It is small but tenacious. I believe we have progress now. This has made exercising difficult and walking at times is very painful. But as I said...we have progress now.

MFP has been crazy these days. I log in my food dairy but MFP sends it into outer space. It never shows up on the news feed. Oh well, I guess the important thing is to track food intake and exercise output.

Lunching with old school mates again today. It is so odd. I really do not know these people. We have nothing in common, we did not really know each other in school. Yet it seems very important to them that we get together once a month. Oh well, it is sort of interesting.

Still watching parts of the PBS series on The Roosevelts. They were as crazy as my family. And not always in a good way.

Stay safe this weekend. The roads are full of people with a true death wish! They are here on the coast zooming around while texting or talkingg on their cell phones.
  • Jacean245
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The detective series, Dalziel and Pascoe, PHOEBE is on Buffalo PBS (WNED) on Saturday night after Murder in Paradise which starts at 8 pm. Dalziel is a very rough, uncouth, middle aged cop, with health problems whilst his partner Pascoe is younger, more refined, and definitely better looking. It's set in Yorkshire where I hail from, BUT it's not always the rural Yorkshire I remember! I see PATSY watches the Roosevelt's on PBS that I can watch, so maybe you will be able to find it. Anne.
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Happy Memorial Day weekend to all my American friends !!

It was a Yoga day this morning. I met a gal who just got back from Wolfe Island in Kingston, ON on a Yoga retreat. She
    marveled how great the place was and the food was fabulous. This is the same place my daughter and me are going
    on in July so I asked a bunch of questions and now I am so excited. We have to cross over with our car on a ferry so
    that will be an adventure.

I finished the cookies yesterday with eating some of the dough and a couple cookies. They are delicious! This was
    for Isaac's party tomorrow. We will be leaving early around 9:30am for the drive up. I can 't wait to see him.
    I picked up the cheese today and some crackers too.

After getting home I made chili with ground deer meat for the guys going up North to the cottage. Dave and Tom
    will be leaving on Sunday until Wed. or however long it takes them. They are finally getting the roof done after
    talking about since last year, they finally got a crew organized. So I will be on my own for a couple of days.

Patsey - Glad your foot problems are better. My burned arm is now bandage free but still putting
    antibiotic cream on it since the raw part is still a little pink.

Sandy - I can't believe you will be home soon, enjoy every minute of it!

Anne - Enjoy the family lunch!

Jackie- You have good luck on that 500 cal. a day plan. It must fool the metabolism and it always
    works for you.

Hello to everyone else and enjoy your weekend but be safe.

Shirley
  • Jacean245
    Options
    SHIRLEY, you had better bring in your potted pansies overnight. We are predicted FROST. I'm bringing in my tomatoes, and my potted geraniums! Hopefully, everything then warms up! until Fall. ANNE.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,150 Member
    Options
    Hello friends – another day has melted away from me. I did a quick trip to Trader Joe’s this morning and didn’t get everything on my list so I might go to Whole Foods tomorrow. I’m not sure. I didn’t get much in my CSA box this week and actually I’m a bit antsy about using it. I unpacked everything and found something that looks like birdie poop in the bottom of the box and most of the items were not bagged. I am thinking of throwing everything out for this week and asking for a new box. I’m probably just overly cautious. I’ll certain scrub out the box for sure!

After hunting for a while I found the original paperwork for the survey establishing the parcel for my dad's acreage, the information from the drilling of the well, the septic tank purchase, and the water system just in case I need them. I also put together a photo album of the place from the demolition of the old house through the construction of the new one. And I got the abstract for the farm and found out which company did that work so I’ll have them make the abstract for the acreage (that was something the realtor wanted to know).

I am feeling quite a bit better. I was exhausted and dehydrated the other day. Still not sleeping well but that’s normal for me when I’m on edge about something. I don’t seem to have the stamina that many of you do, I’m your weak sister!

Phoebe – the work you need to do sounds like a job I wouldn’t want either. Digging and moving plants is a lot of work particularly if you have heavy soil. With your upcoming surgery it does not seem like a good thing for you to do yourself. Did you find “Dalziel and Pascoe” on your TV schedule? I can’t find it anywhere. I am re-watching an episode of “The Last Detective” on Acorn TV. I did go ahead and renew my subscription even though I’d sworn to let it go this year. I’m a liar apparently. I am hungry for peaches and we don’t have any in the stores. I found a few apricots this morning but they don’t look very appealing.

Shirley – your shopping trip sounds lovely and I adore the names of the places you mentioned, especially the Flying Squirrel! I hope you have a great weekend even though you’ll be on your own for a while. And you are right, my dad’s acreage should sell if it’s priced right but that’s a bit difficult. The realtor and I have come up with a price but it’s the highest price in the area and I’m sure any/all offers will be for less than the asking price. But I’m told people still want to pay less than the asking price so the price is set with that in mind. I’m sure whatever I do will be wrong. My dad’s cousin and I talked it over and he said it just takes the right buyer to fall in love with it. I agree but finding that person is another thing altogether. I made soup today as well. Now I have lots leftover which is nice. I adore leftovers!! Your upcoming yoga retreat sounds exciting.

Buzz – hello and nice to hear from you. Thank you for your concern but my potassium is good. I just had bloodwork for an upcoming doctor’s appointment and I didn’t have anything too low or too high. I’ve always been plagued with muscle cramps and that’s why I have some banana each and every day and try to drink enough water each day. All that goes out the window though when I’m really busy and/or if I’m travelling by car because I don’t want to have to stop to empty my tank! How are you and Mike doing now? Is his blood sugar more stable?

Marie – finally, the weekend is here. I hope you can get off the iPad. They are handy but I have lots of problems posting with them. Although today I can print from my iPad but can’t seem to print from my laptop. The printer shows as connected but when I try to print it keeps saying it’s offline. I am confused. Can you send Alice over??

Diane – aha, so Windows 8 may be our culprit here on the picture flips? I knew I didn’t like it much. This adds another reason and I wonder if it’s somehow complicit in my printer connection problem, my inability to hear YouTube audio, etc……. Are you still getting rain? We are expecting a very wet Sunday apparently. I have no outdoor plans so I’ll take what comes and like it!

Jackie – good job on leaving behind those pounds! Wow, your 500 calorie days really do work for you. I try those from time to time and find myself eating all 500 calories or more for my lunch! What’s your secret?

Anne – how was lunch today with your guys? I hope you had a lovely time. More garden purchases coming your way or are you through for right now? I wish I had the strength and stamina you possess! You are amazing.

Sandy – sorry you couldn’t get any red noses. I didn’t ever really know what was up with that as I was occupied with other things. Maybe if they have it next year I’ll finally catch up! So glad your vacation is going well and you’re having a good time. I can’t believe you’ll be coming home soon! I’m sure you are missing family back here in the Midwest but it sure seems like a natural to see you by the pool.

Patsy – sorry the Memorial Day luncheon is not working out but happy your foot is getting better! Yes!! I have problems with MFP as well. I can usually get the news feed but sometimes it just spins and spins trying to load the page, posts jump around just when I want to comment, and I try to get to groups and it tells me I have to login. Grrrrr. Your lunch dates with former school friends does sound sort of odd. I have a friend who goes out with her school chums once a month because it’s a habit. They have nothing in common now and frankly I don’t think she enjoys it any longer. I’m glad you still find it interesting. I have no really long-time friends. I have a few friends I’ve known since 1990. All childhood friends, college friends, etc. have fallen by the wayside.

Hugs to everyone I've missed. I’m going to read for a while. I picked up a book at the library I’m very interested in reading. I hope everyone stays safe this weekend with so much traffic on the roadways.

Lin