Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,168 Member
    Options
    Love all of the photos and am still weepy over your post Sandy. Was very tired last evening so went upstairs early but ended up finishing a book I was reading and fell aasleep while texting with a friend. Realized this morning tthat I hadn't had hardly anything to drink. Oops. Stocking up today.

Yes the new modem is sitting across the room. All I left in place was the new splitter. Who knows what will happen this afternoon.

Hugs for all my dear friends.

Lin
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am dealing with a very old and arthritic doggy friend. The meds don't seem to be working. John and I are tip toeing around each other. We both know what is coming and it is going to mean a heart breaking trip to the vet. MoMo is very smart and she is showing us extra affection. It truely feels she is trying to comfort us. I will try not to be such a dismal sneaker and be greatful for all the years of amazing companionship. At our age each of us have dealt with sadness.

All of our computers seem to be going on strick. The iPad sare usually bulletproof. But there seems to a lot of with issues. The latest update now has a Fix to be installed. (?)

Wonderful pictures everyone. Buzz, you and. Mike look wonderful. You are a lovely woman.
    Patsy
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Patsy, sad for you all there. It is so hard, no matter how many times. Each friend is a different personality, and yes, I think they know. Who can say but maybe the vet has a few suggestions, so many new things, although not new, there are chiropractors for dogs. My arthritis responds to motion for example. Sitting etc stiffens me.
    God Bless
    Phoebe
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Shirley and Marie, I sent you friend requests on FB. I hope you will accept.
    I have been busy today collecting information about the students I taught for the past many years. I went to the school and looked up old year books so I can have the correct names of the kids I taught each year. Now to start to organize and make a scrapbook of my students. I started years ago and then that project got put on the back burner. I would like to have a page or two at least for each year I taught. It is amazing that some of those little kiddies I taught have already graduated from HS and also from college. Does that make me OLD or what?
    Only as old as you feel. RIGHT?
    Well life is good.
    Hope you all have a good day. Joged 4 miles straight today. My goal by the end of October is to get up to 5 miles.
    Wish me luck.
    Phyllis
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Patsy ~ It's a heartbreaking time when we find ourselves watching our beloved pet friends and wondering how we are ever going to make that final decision but try not to dwell too much on what will be.... you'll know when the time is right because your love for your little friend will give you the strength. A ghastly decision to have to face but that shows what a perfect home you give your furry companions. They are truly lucky to have you both. <3

Jackie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Phyllis I will check FB and accept your friend request.

BUZZ- What a great picture of you and Mike and you both look so happy on your special day!

MARIE - Grayson is such a cutey in that picture I can see how it is your favorite.

SANDY - Have fun decorating for Halloween I am sure Robby will love it. This will be the first time ever
    we won't be home for giving out treats to the munchkins.

PATSY - I hope you can keep Momo around for a while longer. o:) It's hard to watch them in
    pain when you can't do anything to help.

LIN- I hope you get your internet going soon so we can hear about your adventures.

ANNE - I just had one of those big apples today too and they are so good.

SANDY - That verse from FB was very touching and so true. <3

Marcella - Nice to see you checked in with us. :)

JACKIE - I sure hope you don't get that storm coming your way. We don't want you and George floating away. ;)

PHOEBE - Good luck with Jim and all his needs. How is he feeling?

Today was a so so day I had Yoga class this morning and Barb filled in and worked us today. I am going to a
    beginner class tomorrow just to put time in and Wednesday because I will be gone from Thursday to Monday.
    At least I will have internet at the cottage this time to keep up. I practiced choir music today and the Hallelujah
    chorus is just so high. I remember doing it in high school, I guess my vocals are getting older. :p

Have a good evening

Shirley
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    PATSY, sad news. I'm just so very sorry that you are going through such anguish. Anne
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,114 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) Before Robby's morning nap he wanted nothing but to be held. He just kept saying up, up, up so needless to say grandma held him. He is cutting a molar and my instinct is telling me he was in a little pain beside the fact that he pooped three times before his nap. Kids and old people are so much alike aren't they???
    He did take a good nap this afternoon so he should be rested for his mom and dad.

My landlady stopped by yesterday to check out the fireplace and she made an appointment for a repairman because she said it might need a new starter. She also had me make an appointment to have the furnace checked out for the winter. The dryer repairman was a supervisor so he fixed the dryer perfect, it makes no noise any more.
    It is great having such a good landlady who stays on top of everything.

Buzz,oh my gosh I can't tell you how great you and Mike look and so happy. I am curious about the addiction Patrick Kennedy has and which was his father? Do you store your back up on an external hard drive?

Shirley, Robby seems to like my decorations, he is just not sure of one pumpkin that is fiber optic.
    The decorations I had for my railing didn't work, so I had to throw them out. I will look for new lights the next time I go out shopping.

Phyllis, your scrapbook sounds wonderful, it will make for great memories. Congratulations on 4 miles, I couldn't jog a block without getting tired, plus my knee doctor doesn't want that pounding on my knees.

Patsy, I know you have probably tried every option including rimadyl for your pup. Acupuncture is another treatment but with age things get harder and harder as we all know. I agree that animals seem to know when the end is near and they try to make it easier on us humans. Give her an extra hug from us sneakers. I still wish animals could live as long as we do but that was not God's plan.

LIn, sorry to tear you up, I know that must have been hard for you to read after losing your dad. Your falling asleep while texting made me laugh, did your friend realize what happened??

Anne, they say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, you should be good for months.

Jackie, Monday is also my wash day, I think I picked it up from my mother. Sorry everyone got soaked, that sounds like a horrible storm. Stay indoors and stay safe this hurricane is doing so much damage.

Marcella, we had a little warmer weather but tomorrow the sun should also be shining. I hope I will be able to take Robby for a walk if the weather co operates. I hope the rain stops and you can enjoy your camper once again.

Phoebe, I hope all went well with Jim's labwork and his doctor's appointments. I also hope he listens to the doctors as a lot of men don't. (Babe)

Marie, what an absolutely wonderful picture of Grayson, he is one little charmer!!

Here it is dinner time, good thing I have leftovers which BTW Robby loved, especially the noodles.

Have a great evening!!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• linder4866
    Options
    I am back online but am so tired!!! It was an ordeal not just for me but also the service tech. Thankfully I got a regular employee this time instead of a contractor and he worked all the way through everything!! I have a new drop to my house, a dedicated line to my cable modem which required drilling a hole in the side of my house, new connectors, new splitters, new wiring/cable in the box on the side of my house and he even updated the firmware in my router and made sure all was running before he left. He also turned in the issue of signal strength to the engineering department and they will be here tomorrow to adjust the entire street. He also told me where to call to get my speed upgrade processed since he was unable to get anyone to answer his call and he still had another appointment and it was about 6pm. I got upgraded about 7:30 after being on the line about 45 minutes.

I will be holding my breath for a while though. I cannot believe the connection will last!!

So glad to be back.........

Lin
  • linder4866
    Options
    Phyllis, I sent you a friend request on Facebook.
  • oystereyes
    Options
    As you might have guessed, we are pulling out all stops to help MoMo's quality of life. We hope we can keep her with us awhile longer. That means a complete rearranging of our life for a bit. Very expensive meds and shots, ramps and gates to keep her from following us up and down the wicked stairs. Worth the effort to us! I realize there would be folks who think we are demented but it is hard to explain.

Thanks to everyone for the support and wonderful understanding. It is easy to get sensitive about these issues.

I'll be doing my exercises in the dungeon instead of with John in the exercise room downstairs. MoMo and I are watching Mary Poppins just for fun. Great music and I feel like I don't want any complications tonight.

Thank you, dear sneakers.
    Patsy
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Gosh, you gals are so fantastic! I cannot go to bed at night without at least trying to catch up, and tonight was a real weepy uplifter! SANDY's poem brought home to me, like nothing else has succeeded doing, a kind of revelation about the new road Mike and I are traveling! I think it will be the most helpful thing I have read, and I made several copies to share in my support group. I wanted to frame it for just myself, but was unable to size it properly for my 4 x 6 photo paper, but at least I have it on card stock! I do think it was what Mike was attempting to say to me a couple of days ago, and the poem set me straight! THANK YOU!
    ANNE & SHIRLEY, South Beach was the best way of life I ever stayed on for ages, and I loved eating and kept weight manageable without thinking much about it. I don't know why it stopped working for me except of course my hip replacement has left me almost unable to walk, so I no longer move as I used to. Huge difference, since I was as into exercise and movement as BARBIE is now, and it kept me slim. Unfortunately, it also wore out several joints, which along with arthritis, took its natural toll. Oh well, I certainly walked enough during my
    MARIE, what a charmer little Grayson is. How're you feeling, sis?
    PHOEBE, always happy to think of you smiling with your dimples! Do you recall the name of the Ellyn Burstyn movie? I hope JIM has answers from the lab reports that will be positive and helpful. Good luck, luv!
    MARCELLA, do you also live in GA? Not too many of us easterners on board. The Carolinas got such a soaking, but haven't heard about Raleigh yet.
    JACKIE, your glimpses of life in your magical area are so amazing! Never heard of the hurlers, though of course Stonehenge was on everybody's list of travels! I keep reading more about the revival of beekeeping this year here in Florida. A special hug to you and adorable George!
    ANNE, I think yours is a new avatar, and you look just lovely.
    LIN, I'm giggling at you falling asleep while texting! Suddenly, I'm not the only one! I have fallen asleep during a boring phone call! Was that poem as meaningful to you as I imagine? Your shoulders are so strong!
    PATSY, hugs , hugs, and more hugs! When my Gamine got too arthritic to even get on the couch with me, I realized keeping her alive was my own selfish need, but I'm not sure I ever really recovered! I get misty everytime I see a poodle!
    PHYLLIS, if you add a small percentage to your jogging each week, you'll reach 5 miles comfortably. Does jogging satisfy you more than walking fast?
    SANDY, I hope the little feller is feeling better. ANd your landlady sounds like a dream! Patrick Kennedy just wrote a book about his life with Papa Edward (Ted) and the rest of the Kennedys, and how stiffly upperlip they were about emotions. He almost drank himself to death, trying to live up to their standards, and they are furious with him for writing about it, but he is "on the wagon " for many years now, happily married and 3 gorgeous children present! Your Hallowe'en decorations sound beautiful!
    3 AM...ouch! G'nite everyone. We have a 9:30 meeting I cannot miss!
    <3 Buzz
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Buzz you are quite a gal. I am doing as good as expected I guess.

I am up early this morning The kitties are having a early morning ball.They got in trouble yesterday. they disconnect my wireless and I have enouht problems with this internet without their help. bubba is right by my side now but do not know were Sissy got off to?They are band from the craft room except they slip in this morning wile Jerry is aleep.So I better get then out before he wakes up.

Have a great day/
    Marie
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Good timing or perhaps a bit of luck found me walking in between heavy showers this morning so although we did get a bit damp I was able to sit in the car either side as the heavens opened. The weather is supposed to now settle until that naughty hurricane reaches us although the jet stream is apparently split to the west of us so it could go in any direction.... I'll batten down the batches just in case!

Buzz ~ Sandy's poem had me feeling tearful because it seems to hit right at the heart of what that illness is all about. Wonderful that you found comfort and more understanding from its words. Here's a link to a picture of the Hurlers I mentioned so you can see that although not quite a Stonehenge it's quite a powerful place to be with energy from Ley lines that practically has your hair standing on end!! As soon as George sees them in the distance he runs towards them and then bounces around the circles looking very pleased with himself so I'm sure he feels the energy too. http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/hurlers-stone-circles/
    Good to learn that at least one Kennedy has survived that disfunctional family and come out of it with a happy marriage although he had his addiction problems.... not at all surprising!

Marie ~ With kittens comes mischief so it's best to laugh at them and enjoy the entertainment because before you know it they will be all grown up and independent! They're certainly keeping you on your toes.

Anne ~ You've probably done this already but what about apples rings.... just core and peel, slice thinly and freeze on a tray before placing into freezer bags then you have that wonderful fresh flavour to enjoy in the middle of winter.

Sandy ~ So your noodles were a great success with Robby... well done Grandma! Your landlady is a gem because here in the UK such diligence is as rare as hens teeth when it comes to looking after tenants concerns so don't ever move again!!!

Lin ~ Hooray, back on line, well for now anyway although it sounds like the engineer couldn't have been more thorough in renewing everything. Let's hope you get to stay with us now because you're always missed when you can't get on line.

Patsy ~ True animal lovers would never consider you demented when it comes to the efforts you are going to to make MoMo's life as comfortable and easy as possible.... the rest don't really matter. When I'm walking in the morning I often come upon a lovely couple with 2 Golden Retrievers, one of which is struggling with arthritis but still slowly follows them with a big doggy smile. A couple of weeks ago they had a young spaniel in their arms that was too young for its inoculations so couldn't be let on the ground and they explained they wanted her to be there for the other retriever when the time came which brought an immediate tear to my eye because in their sadness they were thinking of their pets first. Love the image of you and MoMo watching Mary Poppins together. George thinks the tv is another window in the home so every time he sees a dog on the screen he barks and rushes to get outside to see it off. The BBC currently has a station ident that shows a mixed group of dogs running in a circle around a ring of fire so he goes mad every time it appears between programmes!!

The day seems to be flying and I'm not getting much done so will now wash up some dishes, mix some porridge and yogurt for the hens and then get back to fighting my way into the spare bedroom!!

Jackie
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Buzz - Yes, I'm also an easterner. We live just northwest of Atlanta. So happy to finally be seeing some sunshine. B)
    Marcella
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Hello everybody. Thanks for the tip JACKIE for Apple rings. I'll give it a go. Up to now I've been parboiling them slightly before putting them in the freezer for future snowy day apple pies. The piece about the couple with the golden retrievers and baby spaniel had me moist eyed. Oh boy Sneakers, your animal tales and poems are bringing out the weepy side of me.
    Now, something strange just happened, I lost everything, the screen went blank, with just the apple logo showing. Turned it off, logged in, and here I am again! I still had the above paragraph to continue as if nothing had happened. LIN I'm so glad everything appears well with you. I see you also ended up with new holes in the wall like me.
    As I type the letters are sort of jerking, first fast and then slooooow. I think I'm pressing my luck so I'm off before I lose contact again!
    Anne.
    Options
    Anne, tis the season, your IPad is possessed!
    Yes, I see sunshine too!
    Love it when, two hours after shopping at Walmart I get a text from the pharmacy, a prescription is ready. So back to town today.
    I'm getting phone duties completed, scheduling appts, etc.
    Dr cleared Jim to return work. However, his sleep test revealed moderate to severe sleep apnea. They were supposed to call yesterday to set up getting the equipment, but didn't. Today, I hope.
    Comments later
    Phoebe
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Either the iPad or its me that is possessed PHOEBE. Is there an exorcist amongst the Sneakers! Annie.
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Anne: when apple is trying to download a fix or upgrade, the iPad will act just as you discribed. You need to let it stay on and in a minute or so a green line will appear at the bottom of the screen. That is the progress of the upgrade or fix. It will need to do this twice. If you turn it off the whole process will need to happen again. The iPad's have recently needed an upgrade. (9.0) and then even more recently another (9.01). Apple products are great but there is no manual or instruction sheets. Since we have three iPads, it is easy to just type in quiry in the Google search space. It is designed to drive you insane and become maniacal. In my case, I have seriously considered heaving all computers into the trash. Anyway, this is my experience, for what it is worth.
    Patsy
    Options
    Buzz, the movie is 'Lovely, Still' with Martin Landau and Ellen Burstyn