Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,267 Member
    Happy Thursday!! :) Robby only took one nap today so I didn't get a chance to post until now. I think that Anne must have had a virus which probably screwed up her computer and she has to wait until the weekend for her sons. I guess we should have a way to find out from another family member if we are okay when we can't post.
    I am on Facebook as is Lin, Marie, Phoebe and Barbie so I think we could ask someone on there if we were worried. Not sure about Lin though, unless she is close with a friend who would talk to us. It is worrisome when we don't hear from someone, we are a great internet family.

Jackie, thanks for letting us know you are in treatment and I won't bug you with questions now that I know, just let me say, I wish you the best and with your attitude I don't have to worry. <3

Patsy, she did mention that if the boys replace her basement floor she should disappear for a while, but not sure they would start during the week when they work. I am convinced she has computer problems.

Phyllis, one of my granddaughters who is 25 today also had colic. It was a difficult time for three months and then like a faucet it turned off at the three month mark. I remember sitting for her and having to walk her for about two hours until she calmed down. My DIL nursed Robby so he was not colicky but not sure if that is the reason.

Lin, all this talk of food has me wanting to research some easy crock pot meals for one. I would also like them low calorie so not sure if I will find any. I do make a great chili and a great stew so will make those once it gets colder.
    Not really low in calorie but worth the extra calories.

Phoebe, you are a great fur parent, you take such good care of your furry children. Did you ever catch Dolly for her shots?

Marie, I hope you enjoy your new walker and it rolls much easier than your other? How cute that your kittens love to go outside with Jerry and don't run away. I agree with you about Anne and her computer.

I got my office TV working myself after Comcast couldn't help. It really wasn't there problem though so I can't blame them, I accidentally kicked my wire and loosened the connection. #dumbblonde

Have a great evening,
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    So I went to the doctor today.got my flu shot and going to have xrays for my neck which have been hurting me every since we went to Springfield Back in April
    She also order me a new walker. I left my hearing aid at home so she had Jerry run home to get them for me.So she would not have to shout.

I go back in a couple weeks for lab work. she will do a gluten test on me then.

Just really checking in on Anne She needs to get one of her sons used her Account here on MFP and check in with us I know Alice did mine a couple times when my computer was down so I would not lose my log in days and keep you guys inform.

Time for Dinner it will be baked sweet potato. green beans and roasted onions tea.

<3 Marie

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    :) Marie, I bought black rice once because someone told me it was good stuff....it required rinsing before cooking, Jake didn't like it and I didn't think it was anything special so I never bought it again.

:) Jake and I are fine except that he wrenched his shoulder and is using a sling and I'm still nursing the injury from last month (chiropractor said the inflammation would probably take 8-12 weeks to go away completely). We just do the same stuff every day.....everyday life in Utopia is the title of our life.

<3 Barbie
  • CALIECAT
    Barbie so glad to hear from you. Was afraid you were still down with your injury. Now Jake is ailing
    both of you take it easy.Till you are in top shape.
    Marie
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,318 Member
    We really are a family aren't we. Hope we hear from Anne soon too.

Ed took grandsons fishing today John Paul caught 9, Peter 6 and Zach 2. JP and Peter are the twins.

I spent the day by myself. I made myself some tomato soup in my Vitamix. Turned out quite good but I made it up as I went along so would have trouble repeating it closely.

Have a great day tomorrow.

Jeri
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited October 2015
    Anne, you will have many posts to read when you return, many posts about you! :p
    Barbie sorry you are both in pain now. Take care, and thanks for stopping in.
    Marie, lentils cook quickly, so if you decide to make a chili or soup, I'd start with everything else first and then add the lentils. Chili should be easy, saute veggies like carrot celery onion and garlic and bell peppers, add broth, water, tomatoes and chili powder. Cook then add lentils and cook til they are done.
    Sandy, is Robby still sick. I hate to sleep if my nose is stuffy. Yes, I got Dolly, she's mad at me too! Lol.
    Lin your vegetable spaghetti squash, is that the squash that you cook then shred? I think I would love it.
    Phyllis, I didn't know you jog! I hurt just thinking about it! Good for you, that's wonderful. Glad you are spending lots of time with your new grandbaby. Wet babies are so slippery, I'd be nervous too.
    Patsy, yes, when one drops out like Anne, we worry. I'm sure we will hear from her. She knows we are concerned.
    Jackie, hope everything goes smoothly for you and that you won't be too tired from the treatments. Hugs to the critters. I saw a pet named 'Squeak' on the sign in sheet at the vet. I decided Not to ask what kind of Squeak it was. Sorry about your other one, are they similar in age? I'm glad the foxes can't get at them.
    Buzz, I wonder if that hurricane will bring rain to your area too. I know they usually spread a wide path.
    We do goofy things sometimes. The gas prices are crazy in Georgia. They are high near us, and lower north of us. So, Jim gathers all of his gas cans, 5 gallons each, and we head north in his pick up truck. 49 miles later, we fill up the cans and the pick up. It's almost 30 cents per gallon less. Then we go to Longhorn for dinner, and drive the 49 miles home.
    This weekend will be a busy one for us. Today I booked tickets to Wings Over North Georgia, an airshow with a lot of extras. The Clydesdales will open the show, there will be paratroopers demos and zillions of kinds of airplanes. The evening there is a concert with several groups, highlighted by The Charlie Daniels Band. We will have a canopy and seats right up front. That's for Saturday. Sunday is the Georgia Marble Festival. We will be going on a tour of a marble quarry. We've done it before, Jim really enjoyed it. Me, it's more like seen one quarry, seen all I need to see. All of these events and the forecast is for rain, lol. Intermittent showers, they say. Well, it's pouring rain now, so maybe it will be done by Saturday.
    I got up early today, and I feel it now. I will close this long post and say goodnight.
    Phoebe

P.S. Hi Jeri, found you'd posted before mine. I've wondered about homemade tomato soup. Jim's mother used to make it, but I don't know anything about it, wish I did.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,358 Member
    Wow Phoebe - what a weekend you have planned!! Yes the vegetable spaghetti squash is pretty neat. I cook it whole in my Instant pot. Then take it out, cut in half, scoop out the seeds and then remove all the lovely shreds of the squash from the shell. It's neat how it grows all shredded on the inside like that.

Phyllis - my feet hurt thinking about running. Once in a while my tootsies can hold up to maybe 15 or 20 minutes of a slow jog. But not consistently. Good for you!!

Barbie - days in paradise. Lovely. I hope you and Jake both get back to full steam.

Sandy - did you say if the Bingo jackpot was won?? Sorry Robby is still unwell.

Marie - glad you got a new walker. They aren't too helpful when they aren't working properly.

Jackie - hugs for your darling George and you as well. Our weather has turned a bit chilly but would be very nice for taking a stroll.

Buzz - thinking of you daily. You have such responsibility in looking after DH.

Jeri - sounds like a lovely fishing trip.

Time to close now. Sorry for all I've missed.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Oh dear, hope ANNE is OK. She usually keeps us so well informed about her thoughts as well as actions! I will concentrate on believing she is involved in something intensely!
    Although my first seated yoga class yesterday seemed simple after all the floor yoga I did years ago, I think when I had to reach to my left foot by twisting my right upper torso toward it, I maybe reached be spreading my big toe open (I wore thong-type shoes) and did I ever sprain my foot in that area! Stupid move, telling me to be much more aware!
    We had our 38th Anniversary celebration in the fancy dining room tonight and in the midst if dinner, there was a false fire alarm that could not be shut off! No one was able to hear a thing above the din of that and another birthday celebration in the same room for a delightful new resident. To top it off, when the servers, all students for whom we raise scholarships, brought in our cakes to sing Happy Birthday/Happy Anniversary, we had both bought identical cakes! I guess real chocoholics have like minds!!!
    I think at one point, Mike understood we were celebrating, but not the entire time. For a short period this afternoon, he was able to tell me how frustrated and frightened he is about his thinking processes, but it lasted only a very short time before he went back into his hiding spot, wherever that is. My heart just went out to him. I wish he could express himself more often, but I know that's part of his condition. I think the ganache chocolate cake was my way of recognizing this might be our last recognizable celebration of anniversaries. I couldn't even finish my piece of cake! Too rich. I think I have taken off 10 pounds as of this morning. But my scale is screwy!
    PHYLLIS, I admire your 3 mile jogs! I never was able to jog...just race and then pace walk. Hats off to you and the squiggly baby!
    SANDY, I hope you didn't catch poor little Robby's cold.
    LIN, we have been having interesting additions to our evening menus called the Whole-Sum Menu! Small portions of protein surrounded by carbs like quinoa, vegetables like jicama salads , bok choy. lightly steamed asparagus, etc. Served on interesting oblong plates, they spell out all the minerals etc! And they taste great. I think of you while enjoying them!
    MARIE, you probably have a Rollator walker which both Mike and I use. They are so easy to walk with as the front wheels turn. And they have a seat which can come in very handy! Enjoy yours, li'l Sis! I wish I knew how to tell you where I found that graphic, but it took a long time, scouring everything that did NOT say Get Well. Simply expressing how we all feel. I tried to change the "I" to "We", but was unable to figure it out. I'm sure dear JACKIE understood we all sent it! Yes indeed, we are family! There is an unmistakable bond we share, and when it breaks, we all hurt!
    PHOEBE, I'm joining your bedtime! Your area has such delightful things to do, and it tires me to think about it. Besides, we cleaned house today, and that always wears me out. I don't understand this new JOAQUIN hurricane at all! from 35 miles an hour it is suddenly a category 4!!!. And hasn't made that right turn as expected yet! Mother Nature reminds us constantly who's the boss!
    PATSY, SHIRLEY, JERI and BARBIE, thinking of you all, just too sleepy at this hour to continue! Hugs, everyone...
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited October 2015
    Today I took an earlier than usual walk with George because the chimney sweep was due to clean out my chimney some time this morning and as I drove back down the track towards my property he was just getting his brushes and vacuum out of his truck so that was good timing! We've been enjoying some warm and sunny weather but I gather it could all change by Monday so at least I can safely light my stove whenever I feel in need!

Sandy ~ You don't ever "bug" me because I know you ask because you care so thank you for that. <3 That was funny about your loose connection... the sort of thing I do and then go around the houses trying to find out why something isn't working when it's oh so simple!

Marie ~ It's a good job your doctor isn't too far from home if Jerry was sent back for your hearing aids! The thought of it made me smile but I'm sure it was frustrating for you.

Barbie ~ Many years ago I used to buy Canadian wild rice that had black rice in it and the problem in cooking a quantity was the rest of the rice was ready long before the black so it was incredibly crunchy and not at all pleasant. I moved on to wholemeal pretty quickly. Sorry to read you and Jake are both suffering strains and hope those frisky poodles are getting their exercise?

Jeri ~ If you are preparing soups now it must mean your weather is heading for winter already; difficult to imagine when the sun is shining and it's more like a summer's day here!

Phoebe ~ My little Squeak is nearly 12 years old now but I was never sure about Poppy because she was a bird I purchased about 7 years ago from a friend who bred poultry and the original hens I asked for turned out to be cockerels!! They were returned and then 2 more supposed hens arrived that were Poppy and a beautiful bird I named Rocket because it charged about at the rate of knots. It turned out that poor creature was always on the run because it was turning into a cockerel and Charlie the bantam that terrorised anything and everything in my garden was out to get him so he too went back to the breeder and I gave up on buying any more. Poppy missed him terribly and used to try to get out of the garden to find him, sleep up in the trees at night and only ever layed one single egg but because I felt guilty about taking Rocket away from her, I forgave the lack of eggs and when Charlie got really aggressive towards me I'd tell him I wished I'd kept Rocket and got rid of him!! When I make tomato soup I buy a carton of Passata and mix in sauteed onion, celery and a few beans and I'm sure you'd find some in your supermarkets.

Lin ~ Consider George well and truly hugged on your behalf! He tried to see off the chimney sweet but was told that almost all properties possess a dog so he wasn't a threat and in no time a rather dusty toy was being placed in the way in an effort to get it thrown across the room!

Buzz ~ That's just so heart wrenching that Mike's condition scares him when he's having better days and is more aware of what's happening to him although you do get your old Mike back at such times, even for a short while. I hope you both managed to enjoy your anniversary celebrations although I completely understand you'd find it extremely poignant wondering if....... Seems to me there's one celebration after another amongst your residents and all chocaholics!! News this morning was that Hurricane Joaquin was gaining speed although I think it's still somewhere near the Bahamas. Batten down the hatches yet again dear friend!!

Too long at my computer and my legs are stiffening so I'd better get moving and on with some gardening.

Have a good Friday
    Jackie
  • CALIECAT
    edited October 2015
    Good morning.
    Wonderful hearing from all of our family this morning.
    Anne still missing you We are hopefully looking forward to hearing from you Hope you sons can get your computer going again if that is the problem.I am about to learn all of my problems on mine. But never fear something will happen again and will have to wait on Alice to come out to fix it.
    Thanks Phoebe for your method of making lentil chili . Will gives it a try next week

Jerry and the kitties must be outside for I have not seen any of them, Jerry usally bring my coffee to me in the computer room And the kitties are usually following the mousse around as I type. But they left me too.
    We are going to Kroger this morning.
    Alice will be out tomorrow. I guess I will clean out my file cabinets to get ready for my fabrics to file away

Better oo get breakfast and the much needed coffee.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Love ya'
    marie
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Hi Everyone,
    Well now I am concerned too about Anne. Keeping my fingers crossed and praying too that she is ok. It is true that we are a close group. I know I am in and out and I know that when things heat up over here you are all probably wondering about me too. I am sorry if I ever made anyone worry. Usually I am just busy when I don't write or Lazy!
    Today Church was really nice. We had a woman join us who is from Thailand. She just moved to Egypt and found the us. I am always happy when anyone comes and joins us in our worship since we are a small congregation. visitors are always welcome. When you live in a foreign country the people at church are like family and we are a close knit group too. I love going each week and meeting with my friends at church. Of course non of my family go with me since they are all Moslems so I guess in a way I have two family groups over here, my Egyptian family members and my church members. I love them both dearly. and I feel that I have my Senior sneaker group family too and thank you all for being my friends as well. Even though I am not as good to write on a regular basis like all of you, I seriously think of you and your comments and wonder about you often. I am on Facebook too and keep in touch with my American friends and family via that mode. Anyone here who wants to friend me, would be welcome as well. I think I am only friends with Sandy on FB so far.

Well enjoy your Friday. Love you all Phyllis
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,358 Member
    Good morning - time to go and try to buy some hair spray. I know, ridiculous but i can't find it online at a reasonable price and I no longer go to my old haircut place so am off on a hunt this morning. I think I've found a place that sells it *if* they are still in business. You never know when you find something on the Internet.

Phyllis, I would friend you on FB but I don't know your screen name. I'm Lin Oz and am friends with several of the Sneakers.....

Hugs to all.

Lin
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Today really seems like fall. Cloudy and chilly. I have been cleaning out all my deck flower pots. Things look so drab with out all the summer flowers. I saw a huge pile of pumpkins at the grocery store. I think I will pick up a couple to place on each side of front porch stairs. I will not not carve faces on them but they will be just happy round pumpkins adding fall color. I also got out my fall leaf wreath for the front door.

I really need to get our chimney cleaned as well, Jackie. We also have a wood stove for added heat. That ductwork needs cleaning. There are times when maintence of our home is too overwhelming. But it is a comfy old place. We've lived here a long time. We don't relocate easily.

Went to a glass blowing artists studio to see if we can find an interesting piece for our sons birthday. Saw some great stuff but nothing seemed just right for him. He loves to sail so we are going to the Maritime museum gift store to check out possibilities. Next will be REI for any travel accessory possibilities. He loves to travel. That is a great store. I think it is all over the Pacific Northwest. Outdoorsy stuff for hiking and skiing etc.

Everyone seems to be perking along nicely these days. Watch out for the storm heading our way. Adorable grand babies to watch grow up, kitties and puppies and feathered friends are all part of our life. Take care!
    Patsy
  • CALIECAT
    me too Phyllis i am under Eula Marie Ward Please friend me.

Time for lunch of black beans and spanish rice. slice red peppers

Marie
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Shirley61 wrote: »
    Hello Sneaker friends,

ANNE - Your talking of apples made me hungry. I have to start buying some MacIntosh they are my favorite.
    Yes winter will be another hard one like last year. According to the meteoroligist talk we had at our sailing
    club. So far that weatherman has been right on.

LIN - Your cutting board looks great! I don't know if I could cut into that lovely wood. Have fun cutting into all
    those veges you do.

PHOEBE- We have a paddle boat up north at the cottage. If Jim fishes, its great for casting and getting
    close to the weed beds where the bass are hiding. :) Its also great for exercise and exploring areas
    where a regular boat can't into. You will enjoy it.

BUZZ - Thinking of you. You have your cards to keep you busy and Suduko. I still haven't figured out that
    game :| That cake sounds decadent!

PATSY - Your husband and mine are football lovers. My hubby will watch any game any time.

MARIE - Sorry about the bladder leaks. I am not there yet, I hope you can find something that works.
    There are alot of products out there to help with that. Check on line maybe you can find one that
    less expensive.

JERI - Lovely colors on those photos. Our colors here are a little late this year. We are going up to the
    cottage for Thanksgiving I hope to see some colors there.

I hope you ladies saw the Blood moon last night. It was incredible, and not another one in another 18 years.

Today is a rainy day here and cloudy. Today was Yoga class with a substitute instructor and a little
    different class than usual. Always keeps me challenged.

Dave and I went to the auction house today to see if we could get a playpen and highchair for Isaac to
    keep at our house. No such luck. We are looking at a site here in our area where people sell these
    items, I think we will go that route and make some calls.

This weekend we spent at the boat Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was really cold and I had to put on
    layers. Sunday was warm and nice so we went for a long bike ride. Our last party at the sailing club
    is Oct 17th so the boat will be out of the water after that.

Auntie Kristina babysat Isaac last night at her apartment and it went well.

Have a good evening!

Shirley

• Jacean245
    Hello friends, well the bad penny is back. I am having computer problems and indeed wonder if this will post okay! It all started on Monday when everything just ground to a halt. Everything gone, no emails, no BBC news, nothing. The same on Tuesday, so I called my servers technical department and they sent out this poor technician. I say poor, because he worked so very hard for 7 hours! (First it was the roof, and then the garage doors, there had to be a third thing with this old house.) He started off rewiring everything, no mean task with cables in the oddest places. Then I got a new jack. This was followed by a new modem and suddenly at 10:30 pm we had lift off with all lights flashing go on the modem. The poor man phoned the tech dept and it was downhill from then on. All the lights went out except the power. Finally I was told to go and buy a new iPad. "Not so" said my champion Mike this morning, "it's only a year old". He gets on the phone and to cut a long story short, miraculously I'm suddenly back in business a couple of hours ago.
    So there you have it. Will this post I wonder. I shall sit back with a nice cuppa and catch up on 3 days of your much missed posts. At least I know I can read them.
    Anne

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,267 Member
    Anne!

2026300ifj5l4i467.gif
  • Jacean245
    Enjoying all the lovely posts, the food ideas, but most importantly, thank you all for missing me!!!
    You can almost guarantee with me it will be computer problems if I disappear. Mike says he'll let you all know if for more dire reasons, or Ive booked a trip on the space shuttle or suddenly rushed off to tie the knot. THAT you can all believe unlikely, better chance with the shuttle!
    Thanks so much on a more serious note, you've no idea how much I enjoy my daily sneaker dose and I missed you all.
    Anne
  • Yay Anne! Yes, we were concerned! Welcome back sweetie

Dullsville today, scrubbing the tub, ugh!
    Lin, you must be in search of a specific brand of hairspray? Safe travels.
    Marie, do you shop often at Kroger? That's where we bought our gasoline yesterday. We learned we could easily save 10 cents per gallon by spending only $100.00 on groceries. They have very good sales there. We are not convenient to Kroger. That is why we don't shop there. We may just make the trip though.
    Buzz, your post about Mike really brought home to me what you and he have been thru. It is speeding up, it seems. I am so so sorry, and so glad you are in such a caring home. Love and hugs and batten down your hatches, just in case Joaquin has his eye on you!
    Jackie, amazing what you know about animal behavior. Chickens especially. You've learned from experience I think. My brother is also a critter person, he and his wife have a menagerie, including raccoons and goats. He feeds the raccoons on a barn porch at night and films them. He built a high rise play area for the goats. I'm guessing he put in a slide just to see if they would use it. I shared a video with him on Facebook where the crazy goats in morocco were standing in the tree branches.
    Patsy, so good of you to make your son's birthday gift one from your hearts. He will appreciate your efforts to get something especially for him. I saw a cupcake lady on the news, she bakes adult only cupcakes, filled with varieties of liquor. Sticking in my mind is Red Velvet with chocolate vodka!! It just sounds good, even though I don't drink. She had plenty of non alcoholic treats too,mmmm!
    Phyllis, so glad that you are surrounded by loving,caring people, including all of us! Your husband and his family's acceptance of your differences serves to prove wrong all of the people who are trying to make us believe that Muslims and Christians cannot coexist. I Love that!
    Oh dear, this day is slipping away take care,
    By the way, it is Cool here, 60's! Feels like the ac is on.
    Phoebe
  • CALIECAT wrote: »
    buzz how did you find that lovely graphic so nice

Marie, if you are using a touch screen, put your finger on the graphic, hold it there. Then there should be a pop up that shows a link to it. That one is on glitter graphics. If you are using a mouse, hover the arrow/pointer over the image, then Right click. You should get a pop up again.