Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    We are staying in a beautiful hotel on the water in Seattle
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,267 Member
    Happy Saturday! :) I don't have much time as Lisa is picking me up at 10 for our hair. I have a Hawaiian Luau at the place where I play bingo. It is basically a pig roast but should be fun. I bought a flowery blouse with parrots on it to be festive.
    I did a post of the pound a week club yesterday but when I checked today it wasn't there, either Anne's Gremlins took it or I forgot to hit post. It is there now.

Have a great Saturday, I will be back tomorrow.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    It's definitely the gremlins SANDY. If it was just me I could understand, but ALL of us! Maybe they will disappear on November the first along with Halloween lol. Anyway, I'm blaming them for my over the summer weight gain!
    I'm sure I heard wrong, I hope I heard wrong, but I think the broadcaster said we are dropping to minus 3 centigrade tonight. I moved the geraniums inside in the nick of time! However, it warms up again by the middle of next week. It's quite nippy right now, 6 centigrade with a few snow flurries. To think 5 days ago we were basking in 73 Fahrenheit PHOEBE.
    The tree is well over 43 years MARIE, both of them are, and some years it's feast and some years famine when they recover. You'll see in the photo it is close to the side walk, hence it becoming a communal tree now everyone realizes how tasty the dessert apples are!
    Well things to do,
    Bye everybody,
    Anne.
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Lovely Saturday here in Cairo as well. Sorry I am an idiot when it come to Graphics but ANNE, let me just wish you an Belated Birthday. All the graphics that others put were amazing. and your apply trees look delicious!! Oh my goodness I can just imagine the juices spurting out when you take a bite. I love the green crispy types.
    Last night my hubby wanted some rolls, so I set out to make them. DISASTER.... The yeast didn't work, must have been too old so I threw the whole batch out! Tried again today with fresh Yeast and they turned out beautiful. ( except one pan got a little dark on the bottom, But the top part is tasty. Not that I need to be eating rolls but once in a while it is fun to make them and my skinny husband likes them so much.

I didn't feel like getting out of bed this morning but I talked myself into it. went over to the track and met a friend that usually is there and we started to jog together. An hour later I was all red in the face and happy that I had gotten out of bed. Love it when the exercise time is OVER. But feel guilty if I don't do it so I keep plugging along day after day.

Have lost pounds little by little the past few months so it is all worth the effort.

Phyllis
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,358 Member
    Good morning. Moving quite slow today. The card class was interesting last night and we had three projects. The room was packed with no extra chair. Unfortunately I got wedged in with two woman and a girl who had brought along much greasy nasty food and they ate through the entire session. It was totally stinking and I finally got so queasy I thought I would throw up. I hurried through my third project and left. Unfortunately I've been sick to my stomach ever since. I suppose it could be a coincidence but whatever, it sure set me off. Using my peppermint essential oils and drinking ginger tea.

Not much on my agenda today. Good thing my plans were all just for me--easy to cancel!

Good to hear from you Jackie. Good job putting together the new wheelbarrow. It's always a challenge for me to put together things I purchase! Hugs for you and dear George. Hope you enjoyed the fire.

Hope to see everyone later.

Lin
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    I am all wrap up in Anne's Apple tree and she has a green one too. I am so jealous.Wish you could have sent me some. you better believe if I am still around next year I will pay more attention to Anne when she talks of her Apple tree. I don't blame the community liking your trees.
    Love Marie
  • CALIECAT
    this is my third morning to wake up weighing the same

Saturday morning 10/7/15

10/8/15 193.4 ***Starting date
    !0/9/15 191.3
    10/10/15 190.5
    10/11/15 190.8 .......HAD A GAIN OF .3 OZ
    10/12/q15 190.0,,,,,, 8 0z lost...... yea no gain
    10/13/15 189.4 I made it now for it to stay there.
    10/14/15 189.4 end of the first week. and I could not be happier

a new week
    10/15/15 190.6 a gain of 1.2 this morning
    10/16/15 190,6 stayed the same.
    10/17/15 190.6 my third day to stay the same and back in the 90,s will Cut out my snacks
    Marie
  • linder4866
    Well, another trick of my computer, when I wrote my note this morning I only saw Jackie’s post. I looked for a new page of posts but nothing showed up so I posted and the post appeared to be right under Jackie’s. Now I see there were MANY posts that I didn’t see this morning. I have no idea why the page didn’t show up. I think we are all getting too many tricks and too few treats lately!

Anne, I love the new fruit tree pictures. What a wonderful tree and such lovely apples. I wish I could buy organic apples that look that good. Wow!! I hope you stay warm tonight. There was scattered frost here last night with I believe a freeze to the North of us. I believe it is forecast to warm up again next week and in fact tomorrow will be warmer.

Phoebe, I am glad DH used his CPAP machine and I hope that will be a habit! Also pleased that Honey is enjoying the cooler weather. I am still binge watching Burke’s Law and I can see the episodes but there are sound issues from time to time and blackout spots but not enough to keep me from following the shows. I think soon I’ll need a break! I did take one break to watch a DVD I got from the library---I watched the newest Cinderella movie. It was lovely. I hope you are enjoying (or did enjoy) your shopping today.

Patsy, I hope the additions to DH’s diet don’t make the acid reflux worsen. I have a friend with acid reflux who takes some type of medication for it and I think it helps but doesn’t really control the problems and many foods make it worse but it seems he cannot stay away from those foods so he has problems often. Anyway I hope that someday your husband will not have this problem.

Buzz, good to know that you like Windows 10. I continue to resist. Windows Update kept notifying me that it was an important update but I keep unclicking the update. Meanwhile, I did finally update my iPhone, iPad, and iPod with the new operating system and all went well there so I was happy I waited for a couple of iterations of update before I installed. When I updated to Windows 8.1, I remained unhappy with it on my old laptop so on this new one, I really don’t want to rock the boat.

Barbie, glad you are at a beautiful hotel and I hope you are also having an enjoyable stay.

Sandy, I hope you are enjoying your party this evening.

Phyllis, it is kind of you to make treats for your husband. It would be difficult for me to make treats and smell them in the house and then not eat them! I admire you. I also admire that you got up and got out there to run. That is wonderful. I struggle with doing the right thing in so many areas of my life. Good for you!

Marie, good for you to keep posting how things are going. You are one tenacious lady! Hugs and all best wishes to you.

Well after ginger tea and peppermint tea I finally got back on track and as the day ends I have eaten about the same amount as always. Funny that when I got up this morning I could not imagine eating a thing today.

Tomorrow is another busy church day so need to get organized as it’s always a busy day and when I get home I feel totally lagging and behind the rest of the day.

Hope all is well in your world. Hugs.

Lin
  • I'm not going to tell you where I am, its too distracting, and would challenge your will power! But I can say that the coffee is very good, lol. Waiting for Jim and his brother in Athens, Georgia. I drove them to the campus and we thought we were close, so I let them get out while we stopped at a red light. I said I would pick them up at the same spot, only I wonder if I can find it! ROFLOL! it's dark now. Oh my. What a crowd too. I drove around the campus there were tents, tables and food music, all over! Lots of people wearing red too. That's the team colors, red and black.
    I saw the movie 'Woodlawn'. I loved it. It is about Christianity, high school football, and the civil rights era.
    I didn't need to shop after all. I found the hand towels online and a cute 'flour sack towel' on Etsy. I'll use it to wrap the sheets and towels. Should be festive.
    More tomorrow
    Phoebe
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Nice reading about sanity amongst my friends here on MFP. I'm trying to figure out how to get back on again! Windows 10 has no PRINT button, and no menu bar (File, edit, View, Tools) and I doubted I could function without them! I've spent hours trying I'm certain I'll spend days trying to find my keyboard combinations, but at least I recalled CTRL P commands PRINT! Now I must figure out how to get MFP onto my Task Bar or desktop, since I can't seem to find it except by accident! PHOEBE, Athens was a fun place. Those sorority mansions are the living end, aren't they? My DD almost moved there so we were house hunting during the opening week of school. Don't ask!
    Well, I'd better get to sleep, though I'll be trying to figure out this new browser etc in my dreams. I think it's based on smart phones! I do better with dumb ones!
    <3 Buzz
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    I just heard via FB that two of my classmates passed away this past week. One died in her sleep due to complications with her heart and the other one, bless her heart died when her ATV rolled on top of her. I am still in shock. Kathy, the one that had the ATV accident and I were good friends in HS. We spent a lot of time together with a little group of friends that hung out. Teddi, was our school mascot, She came to my house one time to a sleep over out in the back yard with a lot of other friends. It just seems unreal that these two dear people could be gone just like that. I know Death is a part of the plan of life but it sure seems like they died young. I feel sad for their families.

Lin, I can't believe that those gals would bring greasy food or any food actually to eat while making cards. Seems like you would want to have clean hands when doing such a project. Too bad it made you so sick. Just thinking of it makes me a bit nauseated.

One of my friends sent me an idea that sounded like fun. She said they had a WITCHES night out. Invited all the ladies that she associates with to decorate a witches hat to match her personality or profession. they all met and did a little style show, laughed a lot and then sat around and visited and ate Halloween treats. Sounded like a fun thing to do. I am considering it with some of my friends over here. It would liven up the Halloween season,and give us WITCHES a night out!!!.

Well have a good day.
    Phyllis
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited October 2015
    This morning's walk was a treat as we walked to the top of Bodmin moor and had views for miles of bracken, gorse and grazing land with pockets of cattle, sheep and the occasional group of ponies. Another friend joined us with her little Jack Russell and all 3 dogs ran and ran while the humans wandered and chatted. Home now with a pot of fresh coffee and a plan to strim the area down where all the rubbish waiting to go to the local tip had been building up so it will then be tidy for the winter. For lunch yesterday I decided on an egg on a crumpet with a slice of bacon and it was as if someone somewhere had decided it was bad for me because the calor gas that runs the hob ran out just as I cracked the egg over the pan!! All in all a very disappointing meal that has reminded me that I need to be keeping on the straight and narrow if I want to lose those 5 lbs. The gas supplier kindly came out to me with a full canister within a couple of hours but today I'll be good and just have some soup and crackers!

Anne ~ That apple tree is stunning and I now completely understand why you have tourists beating a path to your door! I'm surprised you don't have people scrumping day and night although can see they'd need a ladder now most are at the top of the tree! Last week I posted that I'd seen our forecast that showed the jet stream doing strange things because of a big white blob over Canada so at least it shows our forecasters know something!! Friends who live in London Ontario emailed me on Friday and mentioned how cold it was getting, even to the point of hesitating to go to a college football game one evening and they usually love winter for all its sport. Our Indian summer continues and my neighbour yesterday dropped off a large bag of runner beans from our allotment and I still have tomatoes ripening in the greenhouse which is unheard of this time of year.

Buzz ~ I've been warned off Windows 10 for now and knowing how I struggled with Windows 8 before reverting to 7 I won't be downloading any time soon! You're far more patient than me when it comes to technology so I'm sure you'll work it all out soon.... that or tear your hair out trying!! :p

Lin ~ Unbelievable anyone would want to eat while making cards never mind greasy food.... that really does show a lack of self control and no consideration for you. I'd have had to say something I'm sure, even with a smile on my face to lighten the moment but that's probably a British trait!! Strange goings on with the MFP site which makes me think either it's being hacked by mischief makers or those running it are tinkering in the background.

Sandy ~ A pig roast sounds naughty but delicious and I hope you had a lovely time all dressed up in your Hawiaain outfit. Lots of dancing too I trust!! You reminded me I have a knitted top with a bright parrot on the front that a friend made years ago. It must have been pushed to the back of a drawer so I'll have to dig it out.

Phyllis ~ I'm sorry, that's sad for you to lose 2 friends like that, both so suddenly too. Such incidents can bring it home just how precarious life is on a day to day basis can't they and it's definitely a reminder to live each day as if it is the last. Yummy... warm bread rolls would be something I'd never resist if baked in my home so if you didn't eat any yourself kudos to you!

Phoebe ~ You do make me laugh out loud. I can't wait for the next installment.... did you ever find Jim or is he still wandering the campus?? Dear Honey must think she's in doggy heaven on her cool walks considering the life she had before you came along to save her. George is the same on our walks and I can see as we climb higher and see open country for miles how he takes it all in like a tourist and then literally jumps for joy as it is such a contrast to his life shut away!!

My coffee has been drunk and I must now get outside to tidy up. Tomorrow I start my treatment and have a double session for a chat and then some zapping but am not concerned about it, just another round of "inconvenience" that I'll be glad to get out of the way! After a very early walk with George my friend will take him home with her and entertain him until I get back. We are planning another walk in the afternoon, making the most of our wonderful mild weather and it will also stretch my legs after a lot of hanging about as well as driving.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,267 Member
    Happy Sunday! :) Had a good time at the Luau, but because of all of the salt involved gained 2 pounds. I know it will come off quickly, so I am not too worried. I used UBER for transportation and really like their service. It is a service like a taxi but much cheaper. I highly recommend them. I have to go to Mass today since the party started so early yesterday so not a lot of time. Will try to get back later.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time1kf3xjwe67bi.jpg
  • Sandy, Uber would have been much appreciated last night! Probably available too, had I read about it a few hours earlier.

It was a mess retrieving the guys. All of the routes, and I do mean All routes, going to the stadium were blocked by police. They make the streets one way so that the game traffic can Leave. After I got the call from Jim that the game was over and we settled on the place for the pick up, I got two hot cups of coffee for them. I planned to take the same route I used earlier. At the exit, the police had the lanes blocked and I had to turn the opposite direction! I drove several miles, every place to u turn was blocked. Meanwhile, Jim calls, I tell him I'm trying to find a way in. A bit later, he calls to say they have started Walking toward the freeway and would meet me there! I quickly, and illegally, entered my needs into my GPS and set off. Then I find All of the traffic. Jim calls, I tell him about the traffic jam. I end up on the freeway, going the opposite direction from our pick up point. At one point, while talking to him, I put on my emergency flashers, and he could see them in the crowd of cars! Creeping forward, peering into the dark, yep, I saw them across the freeway, waving to me! Lol. Well I got them, and with lukewarm coffee, and treats, we headed home.
    Lessons learned!
    Be back later
    Phoebe
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Happy Sunday morning dear sneakers. John is doing his teenage boy thing...sleeping until almost noon. Truth be told, the dogs and I are enjoying a quiet cup of coffee and reading the news on the iPad. Gosh! I really miss the big Sunday news paper with the funnies and special magazines, features, and social goings-on. That is all a thing of the past now. And to make matters worse, no old newspapers. Everyone has uses for old news papers. Training puppies, packing dishes to move, covering the floor when you paint, just to name a few.

I had to giggle at Lin's view of Chinese food. John has been after me to try to come up with a sort of Chinese food that he can eat. His acid reflux doesn't accommodate garlic or really very much in the way of spices. This will be a challenge but I'll try to come up with something. John no doubt would have loved the food at the card making session! He would have passed on the card making, however.

I understand about losing good friends, I often have the strangest reaction to things like this. I get angry! I have to look into myself to figure this emotion out. Why and what is really going on in my brain? Okay! I hear you all saying..."oh that Patsy! She is a strange one!"

Phoebe: your situation sounds like something I would be involved in. John would be upset and he would have made some amazing arrangements to get home that would have been over the top. I would be crying and the dogs howling and John yelling. A good time would be had by all!

I am in the kitchen planning Chinese food (sort of)
    Patsy
  • CALIECAT
    edited October 2015
    Hi Very lovely Sunday Alice was by but we did not get out/ and go eat. I was really not up to it. I think I might cook me some stir fry veggies with some frozen pulled chicken with a big lass of tea. Whoopee********
    Watching Wasshington getting beat at the moment. The Cowboys has a bye week

Marie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited October 2015
    Just got caught up on everyone's posts and looks like you all are doing well and healthy.

Last night was our last sailing club dinner of the season. It was our turkey dinner with all the trimmings. Since we did
    vegetarian for Kristina we enjoyed it thoroughly. They had a live band which was really good and I did some dancing. 
    Instead of staying overnight on the boat, which would have been freezing, we stayed in a Guest Suite at our friend's
    condo which they suggested we do. We didn't realize they had to pay for it after they booked it, so we took them
    out for breakfast this morning as our thank you.

After getting home I just finished making some soup for lunch tomorrow. We are leaving tomorrow to babysit Isaac
    while Kathy and Fraser go to the Jays baseball game. We will stay ovenight and then head home in the morning as
    I have two comittments on Tuesday. I bought Isaac his first Christmas bulb for 2015 today at the Christmas store
    in town. This store is the town where we keep our boat, Niagara on the Lake or as we call it NOTL.

Have a good evening everyone.

Shirley
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    1298049l49zvyaja9.gif

We enjoyed our weekend in Seattle and all the good friends we were able to spend time with. We did well with all the restaurant meals, enjoyed the scenery and the ferry rides but we are happy to be home. We can't pick up Brandy, Sasha, and Bernie until tomorrow. :'(
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Great posts, but so sorry about the sad losses. Saw a movie with Blythe Danner that was more sweet than bitter, including Sam Eliot, and some dogs! Wish I could remember the name, but it was all about the last quarte of life, I guess. She is so lovely! Anyway, must update you all about WIndows 10. IT LOCKED ME OUT today! The security is so tight, I could not log in, despite knowing all my passwords, and I had to turn to DELL to get me entered and fix the problem! I will never be without a warranty! He fixed several other problems. Keyboard command knowledge is important since the menu bar is gone! Right now, I retrieved Internet explorer to get onto MFP! Anyway, gotta run, as my DS in CO totaled her car and her kids don't want her to drive anymore. Her dear optimistic husband tells her she's a good driver; NO WAY! She has traveled the wrong way on highways, and has had many accidents, but he is even worse! I have to call her. Hugs to you all...
    <3 Buzz
  • linder4866
    Good evening – as predicted I was sort of behind all day. After I got home from church it was one little thing after another and didn’t get my lunch until going on 3pm. Yipes! Had an early supper and the dishes were done by 6pm. I’ve been trying to zip around and get in lots of steps around here. So now I’m sitting down to type for a while.

Phoebe, what a story! I am glad you finally got the guys into the car to go home but I think you’re right, if you had been able to get Uber to take on the task it would have been better. I would think they wouldn’t really want to get into that crowd either. Glad you got the gift all straightened out. It sounds as if it is lovely.

Buzz, you are having quite the issues with Windows 10. Thank heavens you have assistance through Dell. It is great that they will help you with Windows problems---I always thought they’d push that back over to Microsoft. I had heard all the old familiar menus would be gone but the new way of navigating is said to be intuitive. Right. When you’ve grown older with computers starting with DOS or MS-DOS, maybe not so much right? Also sorry about your DS and the driving issue. I am concerned that my skills aren’t as good as they were 10 years ago. I wonder what I will do when my time comes to give up driving. I shudder to think of it.

Phyllis, I am so sorry about the passing of your friends. Even if you’ve not been in touch constantly with old high school chums it hits hard doesn’t it? I am so sorry. Regarding the Witches party, would your friends like to do something like that? I think my friends would not be interested---don’t want anyone to call them a witch and maybe some of us are a bit closer in description that we’re comfortable with. Ha.

Jackie, another lovely description of a walk I the countryside. I smiled at your incident of running out of gas as you cracked that egg---the universe telling you no, you shouldn’t have that right? I think that whenever something I wanted to attend or something I want to purchase does not come together for one reason or another. I always say to myself, I wasn’t intended to have that/or go there. Usually it saves me $$ which is a good thing. Wishing you well with your treatments. Hugs.

Sandy, what a lovely luau picture. Oh yes, sodium does a number on us doesn’t it? I don’t use any now but if I ever have a little packet of low sodium miso I feel like I swell up like a whale. It is so uncomfortable.

Patsy, I am an ancient relic. I still subscribe to the real paper Sunday newspaper. Loads of sections, the section of cartoons, lots of local retail ads. Once upon a time I would make some coffee and sit on the floor with my newspaper and go through it leisurely. Now I zip off to church on Sunday and when I get home I never really find that much time to really savor the newspaper. I do try to spend a bit of time to get through all the sections, a quick read of the cartoons and one eye on the ads from the retailers I might visit. Unlike your DH, I am a real garlic fiend! Adore it, eat it in some way each and every day. Did you find something to make that was Chinese-y? I digress, today we were talking about making visits to a guy who is at least temporarily disabled and cannot get out of his apartment. I asked about taking him some food and we were off to the races again----Mexican (chili verde?) and then the next thing I heard was Chinese---CRAB RANGOON. At that point I was feeling queasy all over again. If I take food it will likely be vegetables and fruit and maybe some mac and cheese from the deli/restaurant of the grocery store!!

Marie, I hope you enjoyed your dinner. Is the football game you wanted to watch over now? Glad you got to visit with Alice.

Shirley, welcome home to you and it sounds like you had a lovely last dinner for the season. You aren’t home long before you’re off again. So nice of you to look after Isaac and then run home for your appointments on Tuesday. Safe driving!!

Barbie, welcome home. Before you know it, it will be morning and you can pick up your family once again. Glad you had a good time and that you got home safely.

Hugs to everyone. Time to plug in the laptop again as the battery is draining down.

Lin