Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    kh1erlnzjpwu.jpg

Bruce Mike, Peggy and sally enjoying a cold night in Galveston Be on their way to Dallas in the morning. They just caught one fish. A flounder I think they said.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :D One of the smartest and most useful things I've done for myself is to purchase coats, jackets, scarves, socks, hats, etc. so that the weather doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of walking. I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer receiver in the bathroom where I get dressed first thing in the morning to walk the dogs. Because I can see the outdoor temperature, I know as I'm getting dressed, what to wear---how many layers and extras. I am colder than most people so I have a lot of wool and warm clothes including long underwear and can add and subtract layers as needed. I go out before daylight so I have a great flashlight.

:D The Thursday morning line dance class has been busy for weeks practicing for our upcoming performances at assisted living homes and convalescent hospitals. We'll dance nine dances--some to their usual music, some to Christmas music, and one to Hanukkah music. We'll dance at three places one afternoon and three on another afternoon. I've done this every year since 2005 and it's a very special event for me.

smiley-happy020.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

81824br5uyrfrsr.gif
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I actually wore a jacket today, too. Although at 11:03 P.M. it's still 71! Cannot stay awake, so this just a drive-through! Sounds cold, but good for those who stopped to chat, but I'm totally pooped! G'nite y'all...
    <3 Buzz
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Happy Friday!! :D Winter temps are here, it is 24 degrees. Babe and I are going to a movie today. I wanted to see The Judge but it is not at the theater we are going so I think we will either see John Wick or St. Vincent. One is a comedy the other an action movie which I think Babe prefers. I sat for Robby after my meeting yesterday and it went well. He was a good boy and took a short nap while I was there. That is his biggest problem, he doesn't nap well and only sleeps a half hour to forty five minutes at a time. I am hoping to get him to sleep at least a couple of hours at a time. :p

We missed Nola's birthday yesterday but not sure she checks in here anymore, maybe I will send her the link in a message to see if she will join us again.
    rkt1a6koqmlg.jpg

Buzz, please!! 71 degrees and you are chilly????? I hope you got the needed rest your body wanted. <3

Barbie, I give you lots of credit for walking in the cold, I did not realize you have been dancing so long, no wonder you are in such good shape. I know your audience loves your performances, it is so good of you to give back. <3

Marie, great family picture, but fishing in freezing weather doesn't sound like fun to me. B)

Lin, nursing homes are always so hot you could wear summer clothes all year long. :D Be careful driving on those snowy roads. <3

Shirley, a grandson, how exciting!! I have been sleeping in the last couple of days, I figure I might as well before Monday gets here and my life changes. o:)

Have a wonderful day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Too sleepy to post maybe later we are fine
    Phoebe
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    90 mile an hour winds, torrential rain and now thunder storm but in between I've managed to get out for some dog walking although got soaked through yesterday morning. Otherwise all is well. Will catch up properly over the weekend.

Jackie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    1829510c63njyg4bl.jpg

I just finished my 5 day detox today of protein shakes and soup. I did take off 2.2 lbs. :D
    Still a ways to go to get where I was. Now next week will be adding more food and two snacks, hope to see some more results.

Yesterday I went shopping with a friend and did get a few Christmas things. I bought some
    elf hats which we will be wearing to go Black Friday shopping in Michigan. Last year we had hats and glasses to wear. Yes I know we are nuts :p

It snowed most of the day while shopping but it did not stick. It was bone chilling cold and damp.

Today was Yoga in the morning, and boy is this old body getting flexible. Some of the postures are hard but you just move through them the best you can. I did stuff today I didn't know my body could do anymore. :o

After that I took my MIL to get rid of bags of things to St. Vincent Di Paul where they take old clothing and just about anything you want to give them. Then we had a nice lunch and she paid for my lunch for helping her. Today Dave is taking her for her blood work and her doctor apt will be next week. She is doing good.

Tonight we are taking Elli's (who just passed away) husband to dinner and a movie. She was supposed to go with us but that never happened.

Shirley
    Ontario, Canada

35F tonight 26F no snow on the ground
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,185 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Busy day! Got some packages of lettuce and other things at Trader Joe's this morning. Fresh stuff was flying off the shelves as people anticipate the first several inch snowfall. Shouldn't stop anything but slow us down a bit. BUT everyone seems to be in a stocking up mood and I didn't want to be the one without fresh Romaine lettuce and zucchini! Home again to unpack and cut up some veggies (nice breakfast). Then off for a cup of coffee for me and a tank of gas for my car. Back home to try to talk to my dad but couldn't get through to him soooooo went to the consignment shop to pick up a few things of my mom's that didn't sell and a little check for what did sell. Then to the credit union to deposit the check and ask them about opening another checking account to use just for membership to a gym I wanted to try. We talked about it for a while but I decided there was no safe way to join them without exposing my bank accounts to unauthorized withdrawals. Then back home again and have been doing telephone calls, to my dad, to the nurses, and finally to the pharmacy that delivers his medications. I'm having early supper and then off to a class at the library on making Holiday cards. The sun is starting to go down and it is FRIGID out there. I am thinking of changing into my Ugg boots just for the warmth.

Hugs to all my Sneaker friends. Let's huddle for warmth! It's in the 20's now and low expected around 15 degrees.

Lin
  • CALIECAT
    edited November 2014
    Options
    reporting in. don't think I been here all day.Been making a anchor for the baby shower in Mo. this coming weekend. for the going to be new great grandson.The theme of the shower is anchors. 9pk98jp9wxsl.jpg

Hugs Marie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    smiley-happy110.gif Sandy, we saw "The Judge" and loved it....I don't know anything about either of the movies you might see.....you are such a trouper to take on babysitting with so much of your time....24 degrees would be cold for me...we're having a cold spell now with 28 degrees in the morning...I got out my winter boots this morning.

smiley-excited001.gifJackie, even my "all weather dogs" probably wouldn't want to walk in your windy weather

smiley-bounce009.gif Shirley, I remember how much you enjoyed your shopping adventure in Michigan last year. I hope it's as great this year.

smiley-bounce009.gif Lin, I think your UGG boots would be perfect for all you're doing in such cold weather.

smiley-bounce009.gifMarie, you are so multi-talented

smiley-bounce009.gifMy line dance class went great today. The woman whose husband died right before Halloween was back to dance. I was glad that I was teaching slowly to accommodate all the newcomers so there would be lots of teaching to help her since she's been gone for a long time. I was glad to see her back to dancing and staying busy and not sitting home alone with her sadness.

smiley-love014.gif Barbie

146200.png

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Oh shoot, I lost my entire post and am too tired to go through it again! Started lymphedema treatments today, and despite relaxation, am sleepy as can be! Be well and keep doing the things that please you the most! Empathy extended for the frigid weather!
    <3 Buzz
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Happy Saturday!! :D We are expecting some snow tonight and that doesn't make me happy. :# At least I have Florida to look forward to in December. <3 Babe and I saw John Wick and we both loved it. It is violent but we happen to like the action movies so the violence doesn't bother us (too much). Tonight we will go to Mass, dinner and a visit with Daisy. <3
    I have decided to order my turkey dinner from Jewel so all I have to do is warm everything for a couple of hours. For three people the hassle of making a complete turkey dinner is just too stressful. I still haven't decided if it best to go to their house or have them come here. I am leaning on here as I think my place is just a little bigger than theirs and I have new toys for Robby to keep him entertained. <3 My son never stays anywhere too long, he gets impatient with his bipolar and prefers his own home. <3
    I did try to send Nola a message but I can't remember her MFP name so couldn't find her. Marie do you remember???

Buzz, not sure what kind of treatments you are referring too so will wait for your explanation. We who live in the Midwest expect the change of weather but sometimes it comes too fast. Summer is so short. :'(

Barbie, The Judge doesn't seem to be in many theaters so I will probably wait for it to come On Demand or Netflex. My next movie that I want to see is the new Hunger Games which will probably be with Bryanna since Babe doesn't like those kinds of movies. I am glad the lady who lost her husband is keeping busy and trying to go on with her life, it is so important when a spouse dies. :'(

Marie, are the new parents from the baby shower into boats, thus the anchor?? Is your anchor made of material? More information please. :p

Lin, it does make me laugh when people stock pile if they are used to snow. I am glad you got your fresh produce before it was sold out. I get tired just reading your posts with all that you do. <3

Shirley, love your graphic of the seal, very funny. Detox is probably something I should do but in all honesty I am always hungry so I probably couldn't do it. B) I still can't believe we are almost at Thanksgiving let alone Christmas. Where did this year go?? :#

Jackie, 90 mile an hour winds???? I visualize you going up with George like in the Wizard of Oz. Please stay in and stay warm, give George a hug from me. <3

Phoebe, I can imagine after being off for a while it takes time to get adjusted to the truck again. Get rest and stay safe. <3

Lazy Saturday, think I will just plays games until Church. :D

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • karengreen7140
    karengreen7140 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello again! I just wanted to post that I haven't forgotten you and that after months in the food wilderness I'm starting to get back on track. Met with my nutritionist yesterday and we had kind of a "come to Jesus" session that provided some insights into my eating disorder that I hadn't really considered. She had just attended a seminar on the 5:2 program of eating or intermittent fasting as it's sometimes called. I know at least a couple of you have and or are doing this program and would love to hear any tips or pointers you might have. For now I am eating 650 calories on fast days and about 1500 on the other 5. The caveat is that I have to have approx. 16 oz. of protein/day from animal food plus vegetables, even on fast days.

I have missed you all and will go back and read and try to catch up a bit with each of you. Heart-felt blessings! <3

Karen
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,185 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Karen! Great to see you.

Sandy - I sent a belated happy birthday to Nola---at least I think it's Nola and she didn't read the message. I sent it to my MFP friend "qwander". Let me know if I messed up. Happy trails to you this weekend.

It is snowing lightly here now. They put up a winter storm warning here through sometime tomorrow I think but the snow is just light for now.

Well, I went to the library last evening and it was DOGGONECOLD out there! And I got there and there were no cars in the parking lot, the lights were all off and it was dark out there. Too dark to hang around and see if people showed up later on. I was about 15 - 20 minutes early. I came home to check to make sure I had the right date, I did. I called every number at the library and no one answered. I thought about going back and checking the parking lot again but I opened the refrigerator to get a drink of water it was dark as night in there. Sooooo, I spent the next hour making sure the refrigerator hadn't died (isn't that the way things go, when you want something to cut in and run it doesn't) and had to hunt for a new appliance light bulb to try in the refrigerator. Finally, the unit kicked in, I found a bulb and replaced it and all was well. Too late to try the library again.

I went over this morning and picked up my books and asked some questions. No one knew anything and told me to call a gal next week. They said if she had a class, she had the class. If she'd cancelled she would have called and they said did you try the door to see if it was locked? I said no, it was dark, cold and I was alone so I did not try the door. They said I should have, it was probably open........really? No lights and I should have tried the door?

Oh well. Made a batch of soy yogurt and some almond milk. At some point I am going to try some cooked cranberries that you add chopped apple and chopped pear to........sounds simple and I do like cranberries.

I cooked some Brussels sprouts for lunch and did a cute thing with some tiny potatoes. I zapped them for a couple of minutes in the microwave and then put little tater in each quadrant of a heated waffle iron and smushed them and browned them slightly. Put them on a plate with the sprouts, added some chopped raw red onion, some seasonings, and spread some of the lovely soy yogurt over everything.

Tried to talk to my dad and of course he's upset about something but I cannot understand a word he's saying. I just cannot call the nurses each day to ask what he's talking about because usually he doesn't tell them---he's saving it for me. Meanwhile, I just finished reading "The Outsmarting of Criminals" which was cute and amusing.

Time to get up and move. I hope you are all WARM and safe. Happy and healthy weekend wishes.

Lin
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Well here I am again. kind of late to be posting. For the first time today. Aand I am pretty well tick off of MFP . this has happen twice to me. it does not tell me post reply and I have to log in and it does not tell me to do so. It takes me thirty minutes to figure out what to do. #################

No Sandy no to both questions Neither one of the parents are into boating. Don't know where older Sister got that from. And have no clue what Nola screen name is.

Heres what been going on around here. Jerry went to the Dollar store yesterday When he came out He did not have is security lock to his car and had to walk home in the cold to get mine. He left his name and telephone. He rode his bike back up there to get the car home. They called this morning and found it for him. Very happy man now. He tried to talk me out of mine and I said no way I would give it to him. All is well now.

I am using a new set of rules of my eating. No more muffins no white stuff. I will not give up my spenda tho. I am yet to be convince it is bad just in my tea and coffee.
    B.... egg omelet with cheese
    .l..... Ham and stir fry Brussels sprouts, onions and cut up ham. tea
    D......Same as lunch. only have a small orange..
    Hugs to all.
    Marie

• pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    We are warm enough, and safe, thank you Lin.
    Montgomery Alabama for the night. We deliver nearby tomorrow and will probably go west toward California.
    90mph winds, Jackie, do please take care and go slowly if you can bear it. Hope the bees and chickens stay low!
    Shirley, good for you getting dear Elli's husband out of the house. Be careful while shopping. Is this part of the readers digest plan?
    im still in same situation, grabbing the wrong snacks. I may try putting small cups within reach. They'll hold 'better snacks. Maybe carrots, sunflower seeds, apple slices?
    Karen, your nutritionist sounds very helpful, a good one.
    Barbie, I know you are glad the widowed lady came back. Good for her.
    Sandy, are you having your Thanksgiving dinner with Rob and Lisa and Robbie? I like the prepared meals. I would go that way too. Unless you go out instead. Cracker Barrel is very popular, and Very crowded.
    Lin, qwander is correct for Nola. Bless you for knowing that.
    Marie, are you going to embroider the anchor? What a cute theme.
    We got nice naps since leaving California, I love that!

Phoebe
  • delraybuzz
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yikes, 1:29 AM and I'm still up...but not for long! SANDY, in that lost post, I described the leg message, full leg pump for 1 hour (so wonderful that I fell asleep) after which my legs were wrapped in a liner stocking, some kind of batted cotton to form a cylindrical shape, and then a strip wrapping from toes to knee, covered with another protective stocking. I couldn't feel cold if it were! It is for treatment of lymphedema, and I go 3 times a week almost through Christmas! I'll let you know if it works!
    Too sleepy for comments so goodnight everybody (*)
    <3 Buzz
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am back from the beach. I love that we have that little beach resort that we can just go to but the problem is that when I am there we have NO internet. It is good in a way because I don't waste time on the lap top. I got lots of beach walks in and collected more shells. Came home and made another clock.7nmnpxvmilfw.jpg
    Vereda a little bpjie1gijqgla.jpg I also covered a bowl with shells that I collected. I'll use it to put my rings and jewelry in at the beach house.

Been knitting too and made two pairs of slippers so far. Found out my daughter is having another girl. So That will be fun for her to have two little girls and it will save them money since she won't have to buy a whole ne boys wardrobe.
    Looks like you all have been busy and enjoying or NOT the cold weather. Here In Egypt I am still swimming in the outdoor pool early in the morning. So far NO SNOW. LOL Phyllis
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Just gone midday here so I thought I'd better get a post in before the day runs away with me. This morning I walked George across the moors and as we set off met a lovely couple that dog sit their sons Lhasa Apso when he has to be away for work. His name is Gizmo and boy, does he ever show George up,... so neat, tidy and well behaved whereas my pooch has to run into every mud hole and puddle! They were telling me lots of history about the area I'd never known so am now looking up through Google and realising there are so many fascinating things to look at that I dismissed as piles of rocks! George is currently banished to the garden having done his best to dig under the fencing to get himself next door for some reason so is covered in mud. When I tried to persuade him to move away he growled and snarled so I did my best to talk calmly to him but he is still naughty in that respect and I think I'll have to get a dog behaviorist here to give me some idea of how to stop this one nasty issue he still has, no doubt because of his mistreatment in his first home.

I don't envy those of you experiencing the first flush of winter. After our foul weather earlier in the week today feels more like Spring (if only). Yesterday we walked around the local woods where I chatted to a lovely man who has a rescued rough collie called Rufus and he was saying how he'd gone through there when we had the 90 mph winds until a huge branch cracked and fell just in front of them so they made a quick exit!

Karen ~ Welcome back and don't feel bad about struggling to lose weight as we've all been there. I did the 5.2 fasting diet for about 6 months and it certainly worked for me. 600 calories on down days was fine and I chose whatever I felt I wanted to make them up. What you have to watch is that you eat enough on the 5 other days and not diet because the idea is to get your metabolism working hard so it needs that arc between the two. There again, don't go mad even though the idea is to eat what you want!!

Phoebe ~ Like you, I'd struggle to eat healthily with your lifestyle... too many temptations out there to snack away on! Glad to know you're both safe on your travels. <3

Marie ~ Occasionally I too find that MFP doesn't recognise me so I have to log in as if a new member. I'm not sure but think sometimes when my computer does its disc defrag clean it loses cookies that would let me go straight into the site. Poor Jerry, I hope that store wasn't too far from home for him to have to walk and then cycle back!!

Lin ~ How frustrating to get to the library and find it closed. You'd think whoever was holding the class would at least have posted a sign on the door to let people know why it was cancelled. The rare time we get snow and ice in this area I tend to get to the stores to stock up on food and also kindling wood just so I know I can be cosy and well fed! Not a bad idea at all because you get far colder weather.

I can see a very muddy George sitting at the door so must now get him into the shower.... not easy as it's a walk in so I'll have to strip down to bra and hang in the door as I scrub him!!

Hello Barbie and Sandy, Jeri and Shirley plus everyone else I've missed. Have a warm and peaceful Sunday and stay safe.

Jackie

• CALIECAT
    Options
    It is drizzling rain here :o

Wow Phyllis have you got talent. lOVE LOVE YOUR CLOCK. and your little bowl is very lovely. What kind of a beach resort do you have and picture please. Love hearing about how others live in the world. I think your life is a whole lot difference than what I had imaging :D

Phoebe I did embroidery the anchor I just did not applique inside of it. Be careful on the highways for you never know what kind of weather is ahead of you and I missed you daily visit with us. <3

Jerry just had a mile to walk home and ride his bike to the Dollar store. :'(