Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hi SHIRLEY, I'm tremendously lucky to still keep in touch with my childhood friends, most of whom I met at the age of five at school.
    Dawn and her husband John, her twin died in Australia alas, June, Noreen, Wendy, all now widowed, and Margaret and her husband Gordon. The years just melt away when we write. 75 years, unbelievable! I wonder if we, meaning me, would recognize each other though if we met on the street! These friends apart from myself and Dawns twin who also emigrated still live in the same village, or pretty close, and still socialize together.
    Happy memories of teenage years hanging out at Noreen's place (largest house, her dad being a trawler skipper) watching all the boys go by!
    Anne.
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Much better today! I slept late, just getting laundry done. Tomorrow Jim has two tests to do with his lungs. Then we wait to see if our truck gets out from the dealership for warranty work. Jim told them if they didn't get it back, We'd be off until the new year.
    Okie is fine, already bored with outside, lol. He's in his chair next to his Daddy, sound asleep. Jim said he wants to try leaving Okie at home when we travel. I'm so glad. Hope it works out.
    Shirley, I guess you didn't give me your cold, coz I'm better. Poor Isaac, hate to see babies feeling bad. Yes, hurray for Honey <3
    Anne, funny lady, you are a delight! Do you or your friends have access to Skype? Maybe someone over there could help them while someone here helps you and you could have a transatlantic reunion!
    Marcella, have a wonderful time away. I'd love an indoor pool.
    Patsy, hope you're almost ready for Christmas.
    Dry clothes to fold. Then maybe a little TV.
    It's practically warm here, I'm not complaining, love open windows.
    Oh, Marie, my instant pot arrived last week. I've yet to unpack it, but I've been reading the instructions. There is a recipe book too, but I don't like many of the recipes. They offer a list of websites with lots more recipes. Hope you aren't worn out with all of your grocery shopping.
    Night all
    Phoebe
    Options
    [/quote]

We are not going to movie, the weather is too perfect! Next three days are going to be beautiful, if cooler Tuesday will go then, otherwise I will go when I get home.[/quote]

Too perfect! Great news!
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Had either internet or modem troubles tonight and it has taken all night to get online, just as I cannot keep my eyes open! Finally getting around to Apple and enabling my disabled iPad! Darn technology has not been working fir me these past few days! Pelicans are funny to watch and good for Sandy, refusing to pay for a seat that used to be part of ones ticket. I never thought of refusing when Spirit tacked on every little thing! I think I'm through flying now, Glad PHOEBE and Jim got the kitty back home, and good luck with his lungs!
    ]ots to do early tomorrow so I'm off to sleep. 'Nite all..................
    <3 Buzz
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! We have really had the weather here. Wind, rain, thunder, lightning, hail, mud slides, floods and downed trees! Merry Christmas! Makes me realize that all the rush and hub-bub of getting ready for the holidays is very unimportant. Friends, family, loved ones and dear creatures are what really matters. I am going to try to give a bit more and try a bit harder and complain a bit less!

Our son should be getting back in mid December. It will bet wonderful to see him and hear about his latest adventures. My best pal, who lives now in Alaska, has a second home here in Oregon. She plans to be here during the holidays. She was a wonderful friend to us when I was recovering from my cancer operation. She just showed up and quietly started to help take care of things. Cooking, marketing, feeding the dogs,

As luck would have it...this year MoMo has not tried to eat the decorations off the Christmas tree. Of course, the tree has only been up 2 or 3 days. I will never forget the Christmas she tried to eat a GLASS ball off the tree. The vet remembers that Christmas as well. We don't have glass balls on our tree anymore.

The drama continues...
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    A very quick check in after catching up with about 4 days of posts. Chaos at home after I had to clear my dining room out in order for new flooring to be laid after I finally finished decorating but I'm in the process of slowly getting everything back that's going to stay and boxing up items for charity shops or throwing out. It feels liberating to have got rid of so much already and even my modern table and 4 chairs are ready to be picked up by a local recycling centre that offers furniture to those in receipt of benefits which I think in the current economic climate is the best place for them! This means I can then concentrate on my auction trips searching for antiques. Today is the first one of the week I've managed to have a few minutes to myself after an early morning shop and walk with George. A handyman is hopefully working his way towards my property to replace a broken hinge on my garage door so I'll be able to shut my car away at nights again. The garage is ancient but I'm hoping this will give me a few more years of use.

I've read about 35 posts this morning so caught up but will now get back to putting china and glass back in their cabinet and then hopefully catch up with you all properly at the weekend. Forgot to weigh myself this morning but that's probably a Freudian slip of some sort as I've not had a good week!!

Jackie
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Mmm, I forgot to weigh myself this morning as well, and refuse to do so on a full stomach having just consumed a copious bowl of oatmeal and a "dribbling" of maple syrup after my morning amble.
    JACKIE, so busy, but now you can enjoy the fun of hunting for a lovely solid antique table and chairs! It's a super hobby isn't it. I solved the problem in my little old house after chucking out a modern teak table by buying a solid wood table and chairs from the local Mennonites. It suits my old kitchen, and me so much better. In fact it inspired Mark and Mary Jo so much, they bought a much bigger set for THEIR dining room.
    PATSY, thanks for the warning re Christmas trees and pets because Mikes coming over today with the exuberant Cinders the doggie vacuum cleaner. I well remember our rush to the vets with William (born on Shakespeare's birthday), after what HE ate! No wonder my life seems pretty dull pet less after all the earlier dramas!
    Well, have a good day everybody, with no unexpected dramas to mar it,
    Anne.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Ho ho, Merry Christmas Sneakers.

We have a plumber coming out this afternoon to fixed our kitcken sink Proerty I am so fed up with it. Jerry can make do but I want it done right. it drains the water out but not all of it. and Jerry has to used the plunger on it. Makes it hard for me to cook what little I do cook. This has been going on for 2 months. And I need to get ready for my IP. Which should be here within the week. Just like our heater Jerry would go up to the attic to try to get it started sometime it would nd sometime it wouln't But by getting a new Unit install it works perfec now. I love jerry but sometime he can be a stubborn old man.

I am having a hard time reading my posting After I post it the letters does get darker but not while I am posting

my girls are going to a little town Saturday to do some Christmas Shoppin and said i could not go.. It would be to hard on me getting around. And so tired getting in and out of the car.
    Timed for my breakfast. I will be spending the afternoon in the computer room for I will be able to used the bathroom. while they are working on the sink. So plan on cleaning out some drawers. trying my hand on organizing.
    See you later
    marie
  • CALIECAT
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ahey I don't know how to get to facebook on chrome i am going to try photo out today yo see if my pictures ia a normal size. so fat the photo you all posted is coming in the right size dand the post is not running all over town.
    Marie

PS i figure it out. That was easy Inow got it in my faverite Even made me a folder to put the ones i go to everyday in one spot Great
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,085 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) Loving Florida! This is what we did last night,?

xe9hr6dvk73k.jpeg

This is the first time I have bowled since my new knees and I was so nervous. I didn't bowl well but I had so much fun. Using their shoes and their bowling ball didn't help but at least I know I can do it now.
    Tonight we are going to see Trans Siberian Orchestra, it should be wonderful!

Another great day to sit in the sun, enjoy your day!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    xujgkc35t3ae.jpg

After driving to the Opryland Resort in Nashville, TN yesterday, my husband and I walk a ton throughout the resort. I stuck with my plan when we went out to eat and then walked some more. Also went on a horse drawn carriage ride to see the resort's Christmas lights. Jim (my husband) gets out of his conference at 2pm today and then it's off to explore.
    Marcella
    Options
    Hi everyone! We still don't know if we are making another trip yet. I did laundry so today I will just piddled.
    Marie, I have a feeling your girls are shopping for You. Thats why you cant go!
    I know how you feel, lol, men! We are having problems like yours with drains too. Jim says no gease down the drain but I think there's more to it, coz we don't use much oil. I pour stuff to clear it when I remember. Also use a plunger for sinks. It happens in the bathroom too. Jim says its the new low flow toilets. Not enough water to make them clear the drain pipes. I guess we'll have to wait until it gets cold to see how my infrared heater works. It's too warm here for any heat. I ordered a Collin Street fruitcake for Jim to try.
    Anne, did you really Chuck out teak?? No! I love teak wood but don't expect to own any. I'm resigned to buy no new or used furniture until my stuff rots! Maybe a sofa, in a decade. And Jim will get a new recliner.
    Patsy, I can't imagine a dog eating ornaments, but glass? MoMo must've been a puppy. Jim asked me today if we are old fuds. Lol, I said what do you mean? He said coz we don't decorate. Oh. Well, made me feel a little bad, not much, so I might dig out some little things. Next weekend..
    Jackie, have your tastes changed from modern to antique furniture? I don't know what the stuff is called that I like. My house is a mish mash of pieces. I'm not a decorative person at all. I just like usable and useful. Works for me!
    Marcella, great photo, huge snow people! Sounds like a fun place there. Be safe.
    Sandy, so glad you're having fun. Kristy has a good tan, but you are catching up with her. It's good you've been able to use your knees for bowling. It reminded me of the loss of confidence in my step since my knee troubles. You have to work at feeling strong again. I'm OK walking but steps bother me. You have our sunshine! It's in and out here.
    See you later!
    Phoebe
    Options
    I love the mark down table at this grocery store, found gadgets I won't buy when full priced. Also, get to try new (for me) food products, teas, sauces, seasonings. Here's my toys:

8oy4qow88m7r.jpg
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Yes I did chuck out the small round teak table PHOEBE. I put it out the night before garbage pick up and somehow during the night it "walked". I did keep the 4 chairs though. They're in the basement. The Mennonite table was marked down, but it does suit the old house better. I also have my Moms very ancient pine kitchen table I played under as a toddler. So didn't really need the small teak one. I guess it is living happily somewhere else! Usually if you put fairly decent stuff out here it soon disappears. Darren across the road from me put out two bicycles yesterday and they'd gone this morning!
    Well I finished my gift buying today, oh happy day. Just have to think about the Christmas fodder now. I already have the Christmas fruit cake, Mary Jo's made the Christmas puddings, I bought Bristol cream sherry for the trifle, so just the Brussels sprouts, turkey or whatever else that's perishable to think about. Oh and the mince pies to make, mustn't forget the "lucky months"!
    Anne
  • CALIECAT
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Here is my woe on our problems with out Plumbing. The service man is still here. What a mess. here is what he told us . When Blaine my grandson fix our leak he did not connect the pipes to our sewage line there for it was all going under the house. As soon as Blaine left our thought he had it fix he Problems started . Blaine said when you work on an old house you develop another problem. lords know what it will cost us now. makes sense. But the pipes got to be connected to sewage line. i am glad we call a plumber a relivable one. he seems real nice..

Phoebe hope yours is not too bad.

He finish up 4 hours and price 805.10 At least no more problems. I hope.

Marie
    Options
    Plumbers are so expensive but necessary too. Glad we haven't had to call one yet. Looks like we'll be making one more trip tomorrow.
    Where is Lin?

Phoebe
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Yikes, seems to be plumbing problems here. I too have a sink that empties very slow. I have put drano
    down twice, its better but not great. Dave is the same way, he will fix things himself and will not call any one in unless he is puzzled on the fix.

Well I went to the doctor today, and I am on antibiotics and a nose gel. Every time the last 2-3 days I would blow my nose there was blood, I know TMI, but enough is enough and I kind of knew I had a sinus
    infection so got it taken care of. Still feel kind of punky but it will get better. I have choir rehearsal
    tomorrow and then concert on Sunday. Then I can relax and concentrate on Christmas. I did
    make some rocky road bars which Kristina likes. So at least I have started and tree is up and decorated.

Tonight we are going to see The Hunger Games at the movies.

Anne - I used to have a teak wall unit when we lived in Toronto and now here but alas it is gone now.
    I have 3 antique tables from my MIL in the livingroom and a plant stand which she gave us when we
    moved here. I do like the old furniture as I get older.

Marcella - Lovely picture of you and the snowmen. I can see where you keep yourself slim.

Sandy- You look like you are having a ball! HAHA

Jackie - Happy antique shopping.

Phoebe- I used to be a gadget buyers, but since my purging of the house and getting rid of stuff
    not so much anymore.

Hi Buzz, Phyllis, Barbie, Diane, and whomever I missed.

Shirley
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Here is the 2015 tree this year.
    If you notice on the left, the new carpet on the stairs.
    My mother in law crochet the tree skirt. Kristina will be
    putting the angel on the tree top when she comes home. The girls take turns.

1nmo0sxbiehz.jpg
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,132 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am around just moving from one little thing to another. Some electronics issues which always seem to take quite a while. Getting ready to head out in a little while for the first of two paint nights. Thanks for posting that picture Shirley, I hope my Santa turns out as nice as yours.

I am watching one movie or TV show each day from my big stack of Christmas DVDs. Over the years I travelled to be with my dad at the nursing home I always got myself another movie it two since there was no Internet service at his house. Today it was Christmas Vacation. I laughed as I had forgotten some of the funny dialog. I have also watched Charlie Brown, the Grinch, Christmas with the Kranks and The Holiday. And I have been listening to Christmas playlists through Amazon Prime music. To day I found the new Kylie M. Christmas CD which is available in Prime music. Kind of liked it.

I am sorry for the illness, plumbing problems, storms and other problems. Just got my handyman invoice. Yikes. I will remember to try to do things myself before calling for little things.

Take care everyone. Hugs and blessings.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Dashing down to our "Scandinavian cruise" dinner, the last of our Passport series. They want us to dress fancy for this one, but I always think black is elegant and SLIMMING!!! Great posts, and JACKIE and everyone else who gets rid of teak furniture, well, PHOEBE, I'm with you. All my furniture is solid teak and simple and I wouldn't part with it because the wood is beautiful! Anyway, it's what makes the world interesting everyone's different taste! I'll post pictures of what I have left if I ever remember! Have a super weekend, and happy SANDY is finally in our crazy state!
    <3 Buzz