• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,132 Member
    Options
    zolpgwiaennn.jpeg

My Santa.
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Sounds like plumbing problems seem to be everyones problems right now. One tip I can give everyone for those that haven't figured it out yet....do not put potato peelings down the garbage disposer. Guaranteed to plug things up every time. After 2 times I finally learned this one. Those low flow toilets are no joy either as are leaky toilet innards making them run and run and run. My dh thinks he has the answers, but it takes lots of patience on my part.

Shirley....thanks for sharing the picture of your tree. It is so fun to see how everyone decorates them. Our middle string of lights is causing us problems on a prestrung tree. It insists on being dimmer than the others and we can't fix it. Grrr

Sandy...so jealous of your trip to the Trans Sylvania Orchestra this evening. Thought it would be a fun to go to after seeing the advertising also. Maybe next yr.

We just got home from our neighborhood annual Christmas party at the clubhouse with about 30 people. It is the 2nd one we have attended since moving here. Since I have an annual monthly lunch with many of these gals I am gradually getting to know my neighbors. Several new faces tonight, which was wonderful to meet these people. So many are in their 80s and don't get out of their homes so we can meet them. The food the excellent as usual.

Lots of decorations on our street this yr as the younger set (us) are moving in. Periodic ribbing about our missing Christmas decorations...all in fun of course. Truth be we have one of the smallest houses, so there is little room to put decorations on. Just maybe a deer will appear next yr. (Lack storage for these things too.)

Still have some shopping to do finish up and a bit of baking to do. We'll be having our kids and families over for Christmas Day dinner. Lots to do yet....

Nice hearing about everyones Christmas activities. Should you antique hunters find an antique sofa table please let me know...LOL Still looking for one.... Happy hunting !

Diane
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Very cute Santa Lin.....Can't wait to see the next one.
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Love your Santa. Lin!
    Hi Diane, thanks re potato peels!
    Phoebe
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Love your Santa Lin. Very nice. Also the splattered floor, now THERES a nice modern painting, if you can rip it up; it should fetch thousands in a modern art gallery! Seriously though, love your Santa!
    Tis the season for meeting new people. On my lone afternoon walk yesterday I met a really nice lady who was collecting people's empty garbage cans rolling in the road due to very high winds. I helped her haul them back to the side walk and she continued walking with me. It was nice having someone to chat with, and especially because she was an ex quebecer and I lived there for 6 years, so we had something in common. I don't often walk in the afternoon, but maybe I'll change my habits now I know what time she walks. I think I can still keep up with a young chick of 66 years! Have a super Saturday, unless you are shopping of course. Hate shopping!
    Anne
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Lin - Love the picture!
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,085 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) We had a wonderful time last night at the
    Trans Siberian Orchestra in the Jaguar Foundation Suite.
    6oq5nt64hxjj.jpeg
    It was amazing and exciting at the same time with the Christmas music, but once they started with the hard rock we left. We beat the traffic so that was a good thing. I think there were 9000 people there.
    Today we are going to St. Augustine, the oldest city in America. It is just so quaint and at 6:00 they are having lights on the boats, which should be amazing. My grandson is coming tonight from his college in Arizona and tomorrow we are all going to the Jaquars football game. Busy, busy, busy!

It is hard to comment on all with this IPad, but Lin, your painting is great. Marcella, your picture is also great, looking good kiddo. Buzz, loving my eyebrows, but I do have to touch them up because of my suntan lotion. I like waking up with brows though! Lol

Have a great day everyone, wish you could all be here with me.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    So you can paint lin. A good job. i Used to paint on t-shirts when I had my craft booth Blue bonnet was my special. I had a lovely teacher. i used to be game for anything crafty. But not anymore. never learn to knit but did lots of crocheting and sewing had to give it all up as my mother got older. I think I have one shirt I pain Santa on in my closet. She needed me more. to help her. now i am too old to tackle anything else. Jerry has taken over all the housework But my cooking. so that is why i like to cook a good healthy meal all thrown together. I just know i will love the IP

Ssend us some free ticket and we will be right there
    love marie
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Phew, I can finally relax after a week of chores, deliveries, new flooring laid (not by me!!) and the handyman fixing my garage door so this evening my car is safely shut away once again. My dining room floor looks amazing with its new wood effect vinyl and I'd include a photo except my camera beeped that the battery is dead and I'm too tired to search for its charger right now. Today after our walk I went to my friend's house to help her put a new bed together which was a bit fiddly trying to get bolts into the right holes but we got there in the end, including a couple of coffee breaks, then I went straight to the local tip to get rid of more carpet and offcuts from the vinyl and am now in the process of seeing what I can transfer from my desktop to laptop before the former also goes out!!

Marie ~ A little swear word popped out when I read how much your plumber charged although thank goodness you got him in to find and fix the problem. Sewerage going under your property could have given you and Jerry a nasty bug if it had stayed too long. In my opinion if you paid Blaine for his work he owes you!!

Phoebe ~ The modern furniture that is now being turfed out was purchased when I was short of money and paying for a mortgage.... a sort of needs must! The computer desk was Ikea flat packed and cheap and the dining table I'm currently using for computer until it goes for recycling on Tuesday was made in Vietnam with rubber tree wood. It's solid and cleverly made but just not right for a property that's 150 years old and I do so enjoy mooching around auctions especially because there are so many bargains to be had. Kids setting up home today seem to want brand new everything and would never consider what they would call secondhand!

Buzz ~ My G Plan bedroom furniture purchased a couple of months ago is solid teak with a gorgeous red hue and I love it as there's something incredibly comforting and warm about it. Black is as fancy as one can get as far as I'm concerned so I know you'll look stunning. Yummy Scandinavian food.... meatballs, pickled herrings and delightful sweet cakes, at least some will be healthy!

Anne ~ I love the idea of a table made by Mennonites as I imagine it to be rustic and definitely more homely than "modern" teak. Gosh, you are getting on with your Christmas preparations and getting into the spirit and by that I don't mean red current rum liqueur, not yet anyway!! You can imagine in the UK the best possible way to recycle anything is to pop it outside your property overnight!! My only problem is living at the end of a long lane with no passing trade!!!

Lin ~ Doing jobs myself has always been something I prefer whenever possible, especially when the charges go up and up but I've discovered that our local authority has a handyman service available for seniors, something they've kept very quiet about, and yesterday a charming man arrived mid afternoon, spent an hour working outside in the cold and rain and charged me £27 (about $32) for his time and 2 sturdy hinges... didn't even want the offered cup of tea!! I'll definitely be using his services again. Can I ask, how are you feeling about Christmas this year; a little poignant now your dad has gone tinged with some relief that you don't have to make that journey anymore? You've been through so much and taken on the responsibilities of dealing with his property I'm delighted to read you are enjoying Christmas movies and doing your own thing.

Shirley ~ Ouch! A sinus infection can be extremely painful so I do hope the antibiotics take effect quickly. Your Christmas tree is stunning and I love that skirt.... very seasonal!!

Time for me to cook my evening meal and this evening I'm going to enjoy a piece of steak, something I only eat about twice a year, trifle and a small glass of Amaretto on ice just because the fire is lit, the pets are snoozing and it's the end of a very busy week. Oh yes and on the radio "I saw mummy kissing santa claus" is playing!!. Tomorrow I'm dog sitting mad Scruff while my friend meets a group for lunch and some shopping so I doubt I'll have time to join you all so wish you a happy weekend.

Jackie
  • Jacean245
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I will try and post the picture of my solid wood, very plain, Mennonite table. It really does suit my very old fashioned kitchen better than the old, round teak table. You can just about see my moms very old pine table in the back room where I "try" to become the next Turner. I'm praying it won't come out enormous girls, Anne.
    P.S. The sideboard to the right JACKIE is GPlan - 1950's
  • Jacean245
    Options
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    jackie it was not sewage. it was just the kitchen from our sink, the rest of the drains was working just fine. . Blaine just failed to hook it back up. so it was fairly clean water, Thanks goodness, ut if we ave had a hard freeze What a mess we would have had. Blaine call us last night and said e could have fixed it for us. ha HA he is the one got us into this. no way will we let on our Plumbing. again. He has work for a plumbing co. for the last 6 or 7 years and never a held any of the jobs very long. Don't know if he is working now or not. . he has a problem.

Well the rain is coming back to us.

Anne love your kithen. Love your little table too.

Marie <3
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello friends - I haven't been able to get to the Sneakers page today from my iPad. It just starts to load, then stops, freezes up and I'm stuck. So I am on my laptop now. I had updates for my iPad, iPhone, and my Apple watch now I have to select new photos to get them on other devices. They use to go automatically. Anyone else having that issue? Anyway, I was up until almost midnight trying to get the watch updated. It kept me in a loop of saying there wasn't enough space. So I deleted apps on the watch and on my phone and then reset the amount of space music and photos were allowed and it finally started to update. That took FOREVER!

Today I made a trip to the grocery store for more fresh vegetables and then spent quite a while making my lunch. A huge chopped green salad with spiralized zucchini. And I put a spiralized potato and some onion in the oven on a tray lined with a Silpat sheet and baked at 400 until all was crispy. I'm having a few leftovers and then I'm off to the second painting class.

Rain is expected a little bit later and then for the next several days. Nothing like the Portland area but a few inches perhaps. Glad it is not snow.

Shirley, I love the Christmas tree! I hope you are starting to feel better now that you're taking medication.

Diane, thanks for the info on potato peels. I haven't put them down the garbage disposal but I'll be certain to avoid it for certain now! It sounds like you live in a very nice community. I hope Christmas day with family will be wonderful.

Sandy, I too am OVER THE MOON jealous. I have always wanted to see TSO but have never wanted to go alone. Friends and acquaintances from church go every year that it stops here and I always have pangs about not being asked. I have loved their music for years. Your trip sounds just tremendous. I thought you'd be just enjoying the weather. My gosh, you are being royally entertained!

Marie, I lived in a farm house once upon a time with a drain problem in the kitchen. The landlord was a fix-it guy and purposefully drained the kitchen sink out the side of the house into my flower garden. Eventually he found another solution but not until it was a problem with freezing!

Jackie and Anne - you both have lovey furniture and excellent taste. Anne, thank you for the picture. Everything is lovely. Jackie, I hope you find things that suit you in the upcoming sales. There are some senior services here but you have to qualify---you must give information on your assets and income before they decide if someone will help you at a reduced rate. The handyman I have is probably reasonably priced but it always surprises me when I get a bill as I never know what it's going to be as he won't quote for anything!

Marcella - it looks as if you're having a very good time and I love your picture. All Sneakers are gorgeous!!

Barbie - how are you doing this weekend? Still being reasonable with your walking? More holiday performances coming up?

Buzz - you are a darling and always so busy. It makes me happy to hear that you are feeling better and are enjoying all your community has to offer.

Phoebe - what are you up to today? I was horrified to read the story about your kitty. I hope that never happens again!!

Well, I'd best move along. More to do. Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Scandinavian night was the perfect end of 12 months of "Passport Dinners", and besides the caviar enhanced salmon appetizer, the most amazing part of meal were the decorations! Icy sparkly blues and silver shimmering from hung white lights covering the ceiling! And backgrounds of snow-covered mountains in pale blue. I don't know how they did it but the room looked like a fairyland n ice! I won a jar of rum balls made by our 2 heads of the culinary department, so there go any resolutions I may have made about weigh-ins! A this time in my life, there are things I may never live to try again and these rum balls are fantastic!
    Unfortunately, it seems DH has lost his taste buds, so the beef Wellington and stuffed giant shrimp left him with no idea of the flavor he was missing. Such a shame!
    ANNE, I cannot believe how neat your kitchen is! I'm so jealous!
    SANDY, St Augustine is so delightful and how lucky you are to catch a boat Parade at this time of year. We tried never to miss one, but now we are not near the areas with water, and I try not to drive in the dark. Nor can I walk the distances any longer. But memories are wonderful!
    This was part of my teak dining room set and a breakfront (inherited from my parents) that now resides in my son's home. We eat at a counter now, sitting on bar stools!
    notgk8sqffry.jpg

Dinner time, for a change. so have a lovely whatever time of day YOU are enjoying!
    <3 Buzz

• CALIECAT
    Options
    Lin here is my Santa I painted on a shirt that i made too many years ago. It used to look alot better when they were new. must me 15 year old now. no zlkky37illd1.jpg
    longer fit

phoebe hqbcckx1ewhnw.jpg
    zatp1s6b087o.jpg
    ym62g4qih16y.jpg
    ere is my laundry room I plan on clearing out for my crock pots and IP like you said you were going to do
  • linder4866
    Options
    Oh Marie - I love your Santa. I never thought about adding holly to Santa's cap. It is cute!

Lin

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I love reading about all of you who also enjoying the act of applying color and form to a surface. In art history we learned that is the oldest written language. Perhaps before words, we used mud, charcoal, and clay to draw pictures communicating ideas and stories. Now I know why my art dungeon is such an abysmal mess. I am communicating! Anyway...

The decorating is done, most of the shopping (we now await UPS and Fed Ex) I'm now doing the forever task of vacuuming pine needles, ,broken glass bits from a tree decorating episode, gift wrapping and sending a few ecards. I do a small mailing of new year letters with photos. I am far too disorganized to get everything done before Christmas. I admire you all who can pull this off.

The Santa paintings were wonderful. I loved to seeing those lovely, uncluttered, well decorated homes. I create and live in chaos.
    Patsy
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Hi PATSY, re uncluttered homes. in my case don't be fooled by photos! You should see my kitchen when I bake! Fortunately not too often these days, what with trying to keep the pounds at bay etc. You should see my back room when I get creative. Paint and brushes and sheets covering the carpet because I'm just as messy painting as baking! There's something warm and comforting about clutter and chaos. Homes like that are wonderful. One can settle down for a nice natter without worrying about ruining someone's white carpet with spilt coffee, homes like that, you can bring your dog without the house owner having a duck fit. You can put your feet up and not sit on the edge of your chair uncomfortably. 3 cheers for clutter and chaos!
    Well, it's a dank, dark, gloomy day today "when cloudy is the weather". Just as well its communicating day with telephone chats overseas and emails and hopefully ones offspring dropping by to make sure I'm still standing upright I suspect.
    Enjoy Sunday, the happiest day of the week,
    Anne.
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Driving home today. Look forward to reading everyones' posts this evening from the comfort of my own home. :)
    Marcella
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    t79162.gif I am exhausted reading about all the holiday parties you are all going to and the cleaning and decorating. I went to one party on Friday at the home of one of my line dance friends. After navigating the maze of food and conversation, I was so happy when someone put on line dance music and I got to dance with others until it was time to go home. I don't do well with party food or conversation, but I am great at dancing. The performance group will dance again tomorrow at three more places. On Friday the class I teach will be all holiday music with dances that are familiar to us. The Elks Club where is dance is decorated with trees and lights so the room will be festive and some people will dress in festive clothing and some will bring treats.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif I have been reasonably moderate with dog walking especially since Jake is walking the girls more in the afternoon and evening and I walk primarily first thing in the morning. I've stayed off the exercise bike for over a week. :'(

<3 Barbie