Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,199 Member
    Options
    3047183fip6gnwkjw.gif

I am so far behind in responding to everyone I think I’ll just have to surrender and try to start again soon. Today was a strange day for me, I was zipping through a lot of little household chores and laundry and chopping vegetables etc. and all of a sudden I started to not feel so great. I lost *some* vision in my right eye and had flashing on that side as well. My face has not recovered from that fall in September and I wonder if this is related? So I slowed down, took off my glasses, stopped doing anything that required using my eyes and have been hoping for the best. It’s somewhat better now but not 100%. The inside of my mouth still hasn’t healed and some days my teeth ache. I know, more whining---just add it to the foot problems, the arthritic hands and the come-and-go fatigue. Good grief!

Somewhere back there somewhere I believe Phoebe asked about the purple and gold in my picture? Yes, those are the colors of UNI—University of Northern Iowa. It is located in Cedar Falls. Also where my dad is in the nursing home and just outside of town where his acreage/farm is located. I have lots of other little Christmas pictures but nothing like what Sandy posted---no whole room views. I am taking pictures of details such as Christmas ornaments. I want some pictures in my computer of some special ornaments.

Does anyone else chafe as they wait for phone calls? I’m waiting to hear from two attorneys, an insurance agent, hospice, my email provider………….no one called back today. I was starting to think my phone wasn’t working!!! Ha. Yes, I had Internet service but no email service for about a day. I hope they have the servers working reliably now. I was able to login but then I’d be kicked out or it would freeze up.

Marie, I am sorry you didn’t get good news from your eye doctor. Thanks again for pointing us to that video of Kylee. CUTE! Also glad to hear you’ve found a plan that you like and is working for you. I am sorry your DH is having some memory problems. Is he ill or is something bothering him? I can’t focus when I’m upset and so I forget or at least don’t pay attention to the task at hand.

Becky – good to see you. While I would also like to be more organized I also rebel against too much routine I think. Not a healthy choice!

Jackie – hello to you. How are the girls? A friend sent me a text with attached pictures. His family has started keeping chickens---in town! I wonder what how thrilled the neighbors are……….ha.
    Barbie – I am glad you had a better visit than you had originally envisioned. Way to work your way through that. Wahoo! And I love seeing the pictures of the hats you are knitting. I need to feel a bit better so I can pick up the knitting needles again. They do nothing sitting across the room looking at me! Maybe it would make my hands feel better.

Phoebe – I feel so bad for the health issues you have because it seems many of them must be made worse by having to sit in the semi for hours on end. Hoping for relief for you my friend.

Buzz – I hope you can find coping strategies for the changes DH is going through. I will admit with my dad I’ve certainly been less than perfect and it hasn’t been good for him and it definitely hasn’t been good for me either. His accountant thinks I should sell his house in 2015 and stop spending money on upkeep and that makes financial sense BUT my dad asks about his house whenever I visit and hospice says if I sell his house it would be best to not let him know and just lie and say everything is going well. Ladies I don’t think I can do that. Since his anxiety is so bad they don’t know what will happen if he knows his home is being sold. There may not be enough Xanax for that situation. Seems like an unreasonable burden to ask me to lie about something like that……I do omit a lot of information to try to shelter him but I don’t think I’m a good enough actress to pull that off.

Shirley – your shopping trip sounds like it was so much fun. You lead a very interesting life---one that sounds so enjoyable.

Jeri – you are such a great lady. I’d not have it in me to look after little ones the way you do. Superior!

Sandy – speaking of little ones, you are doing a fabulous job and I love the pictures you post. If it I possible I swear he is getting bigger in each picture!

Gayla – good to see you and hope we’ll see some pictures from you as well. Sorry that Neil has moods but then I guess we all do. I hope his medication is working well for him.

Oh and I may have given everyone the wrong idea. Our metro just keeps growing and along with the growth is more crime BUT while there are many more *thefts* here in my suburb, more of the shootings, car-jackings, and assaults occur closer to where I go to church and in the area where the upcoming Christmas party is located. Last week a woman was assaulted in that neighborhood by 3 men—they beat her, robbed her and tried to shove her in the trunk of her car (there was so much stuff in there that they couldn’t quickly fit her in). She was screaming and a car drove up so the guys ran away. She jumped in that person’s car and he called the police. I thought—wow thank goodness the car was a good guy rather than another thug. So the result is I started thinking more about security. I think I’ll let it go for now. I don’t have a land line and would need to find a cell option and I don’t really understand everything that’s needed. The proper SIM card and a prepaid account and then I need an installer. On another topic, people also tell me I should have a safe. I don’t and have never really wanted to spend the money on one but then I don’t keep guns at home while many of my friends have a number of guns they want to keep locked up. I suspect that makes a huge difference.

I’d best wrap this up and move along…………love ya!!

Lin in Central Iowa

• linder4866
    edited December 2014
    Options
    y5hf4vo5o5rk.jpg

I don't know why this is on it's side because it's fine in my subdirectory and if you click on it below. Anyway, I have a set of these Santas that are very old. My Grandmother had them for years. There's a little slot cut into each one and on the back it says to hang them on the tree. She always took good care of them!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    <3 Barbie you and Jake look fabulous. Jake seems like he is till in great shape.
    <3 Jeri has Becky got you beat in grandkids? 19 is a bunch.
    <3 Lin have not heard much out of you today
    <3 Phoebe you have been quite too.
    <3 Sandy I know you have got your hands full at the moment. . Just take one step at a time.
    <3<3<3 to all (*) (*) >:) Ha ha
    Marie And good night
  • linder4866
    Options
    Marie - I posted a really long message Marie. Check it out in the morning my friend!!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,002 Member
    Options

smiley-cool05.gif Becky, A few years ago I sat across from a man at a restaurant and her made a line across the food on his plate with a knife and ate up to the knife and then stopped. I thought that was a great idea and have used it many times.....congrats on adding another grandchild to your family

smiley-cool05.gifJackie, you have a never ending assortment of interesting chores....I hate trying to find an address I've never been to before.

:D Marie, I will finish my sixth year on MFP in February so you must have just finished your sixth year.

:D Jeri, that's great news from your endoscopy.

smiley-sad010.gifLin, what scary symptoms.....get some rest and it may all be better in the morning....you have had more than your share of challenges lately.

smiley-happy005.gifsmiley-happy005.gifSaw my primary care doctor today (she's a new doctor for me) and she was happy about my lab work and my weight so I won't be seeing her again for a year.

smiley-happy005.gifWe have spent a bit of time programming phone numbers into the new house phone....now I wish someone would call so we could hear the caller id announce them.

smiley-happy020.gifBarbie from beautiful chilly NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2014 is “mindful”
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Happy to see our "old" friends drifting back. A re-welcome to BECKY.
    MARIE, yes indeed, time is catching up with us all, but chin up, sis...you are amazing!
    BARBIE, what a nice post, and terrific picture of you, your handsome hubby and friends. I knew you'd manage to do better than you expected!
    SANDY, you have always held your grandkids close, and we "watched" them grow up and now tiny Robby! Keeps us young, d Buzzear friend!
    PHOEBE, what a beautiful hug you sent me! Figuratively speaking, of course! You are such a kind friend! However, keep a close eye on your coughs. to keep your lungs clear!
    JERI, hooray for that endoscopy result! Just please give us returns of that biopsy?
    JACKIE, we admire your "busy-ness" and you always have such entertaining adventures to tell us when you have time.

As far as being here on MFP for ages, how do I get Mike, or somebody in charge, to check out my posting number? Mine just don't seem to tally with how long I've been hanging in here! Not that it should matter, but I notice there is no longer a pathway to talk to the MFP management!
    Today, I hit my 1st 10 pound goal. It's easier to think in 10 pound increments than in losing 50 or 60 pounds!!! DH has lost 20, and he was thin to start! I'm so worried about him! must talk with the nurse in charge here.
    <3 Buzz
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. Jeri...glad to hear that your results are good. This may be because you are living a healthier lifestyle here at MFP.

I am trying to understand my Fitbit. Does anyone here use one? Basically, I am trying to sync my Fitbit to MFP.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I think Becky join before all of us. Right Becky. but we have several of us reaching 6 years. 6 years in the very near future Sandy gayla, Phoebe, you and more that are still our good friends but not posting here anymore But is on Facebook., I don't know what I would have done without you guys. You been my life.MFP has been good for us. We have had 3 to reach their goal.Barbie, Sandy and our fastest one Lin.A big congregation to you all

I will have another good lost this week on the one one one diet. 2 weeks in a row . I am very conformable with the plan and so easy to follow, so far. you just get 1 portion of Protein, one portion op carbs, 1 portion of fat, and all the light veggies you want. at every meals. Snacks are the same only 1/2 portion.
    Life goes on for us.

418286szch77itf6.jpg[/u

Marie
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good afternoon sneakers. Grey, overcast and cold today but I did get my weekly swim in at the local leisure centre but haven't achieved much more yet apart from searching for and then fitting the outdoor tap insulated cover because we could have below freezing temperature tonight and experience has taught me not to leave it until too late! Yesterday's drive to collect the honey extractor went ok except the afternoon low sun in my eyes didn't make my search easy but apart from driving into the entrance of a Christmas tree farm by mistake that was just a few yards from my destination, I found it and was heading back home 5 minutes later, this after I'd had a chat with a few free ranging hens wandering round my car.

Marie ~ Sounds as if you found a diet to suit you so congratulations if you know you will be able to report a weight loss. Since I retired 5 years ago and got started with beekeeping and the allotment my own food production has taken off. Before that I had a small area at the bottom of the garden where I grew a few potatoes, pees and onions as well as tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse. The flavour of my own produce is far superior to any shop bought and that makes the work worthwhile.

Becky ~ Great to see you posting again and you'll hopefully find having the internet at home will give you that freedom you didn't have before. I don't know about Fitbit but do seem to remember others here have got it so am sure someone can advise you.

Jeri ~ Wonderful news from your doctor which I'm sure has lots to do with the way you watch your diet even if, like all of us, you occasionally fall off the wagon!

Lin ~Last month I too had a strange turn when I got up one morning and felt dreadful for about an hour so finally phoned my GP for an appointment but we have a system where the doctor calls back first to talk to you and the receptionist told me this would happen at 2.20pm but 10 minutes later he was on the phone so I did my best to reassure him I wasn't having a stroke. The upshot of all this was blood tests and his opinion that it was caused by stress even though I don't think I have anything to be worrying about. You on the other hand have an awful lot going on that could have a similar affect even if you think you are coping so I'd recommend a trip to see your doctor just for confirmation. As for your dad's farm and all the worries that go with it I think you can only weigh up what would cause more upset for you... lying to him if you sell or continuing to deal with the responsibility of the place. Between a rock and a hard place comes to mind!! Your American gun culture is completely alien to me but if such events were going on around me I'd want a security system and wonder if the people who supply it could visit to give advice on the best way to set it up.

Barbie ~ Great news from your doctor too and wonderful that you don't have to visit for another year. Just goes to prove you're doing all the right things.

Buzz ~ That's an amazing weight loss you've achieved and I did smile that you thought 10 lb drops were easier when I'm generally thrilled to lose one!! Do you notice if Mike is eating properly at meal time? That's quite a drop for him so agree a chat to the nurse would be in order.

Sandy ~ So busy with baby sitting.... don't let them wear you out!!

I'm still getting used to my new laptop and find I don't hit the space bar hard enough because I seem to be constantly having to take the cursor back to put spaces in between words which is frustrating. Now George has put his front paws on my knee to tell me it's time for his late afternoon stroll to the local pond so I'll finish here.

Happy Thursday to you all.
    Jackie
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Marie...didn't MFP show the date that a person joined? I thought it did at the bottom of their picture. I think I joined in 2006. Summer time?

Jackie...you are so active. Good for you. Keep on keeping busy. :D
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    They used to Becky but not anymore that I know of.
    Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Lin I did fins your post and
    also seen your Santa Clause. Neat Santa. you must have posted while I was posting.

There is so much meaness going on now.. I notice our new neighbors across the street has a security sign in there yard. The house next door they are still working on it.. Don't know what the whole up isnow
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    We just lost Sammy, He has not felt good in the last few days but we thought he would get over it. He just passed out and quit breathing.Jerry will bury him out in our yard.. Sorry can't talk any more such a shock
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Oh no !!!! I am so sorry Marie. I will say a special pray for you tonight that God gives you His peace.
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Dear dear Marie, I'm so sorry, but honey, I can tell you from experience, he went quickly and that is a blessing. But it is so sad.. I know how much you loved him, he loved you all too. I'm crying, can't see to type. Love you Marie
    Options
    ok, wiped my eyes.
    We leave tonight. We will drive down below Atlanta, then pick up our load going to California when it gets ready to go. supposed to be about 5am.
    Becky, so glad to see you posting. I know Sandy is really busy right now, but I think she is the fitbit expert. If it can be done, she will know how. I am wearing a fitbit, but I was disappointed to find that my tablet is one version too old to run the fitbit app. So I just sync it with my laptop when I am at home. I don't really want to travel with the laptop. It seems too big nowadays!!
    Barbie, great photo of you four.. you look very young and healthy!!
    Lin, whatever you can afford, get a security system. Also, do you know someone you trust with a key? Your 'spells' are worrisome. It may be side effects of your injuries, but it may also be something new, worth checking out. Take care of yourself!!
    Good to hear from all of you who have been busy, thanks for checking in with us.
    I know how hard it can be.
    My knee is not good, but I will be ok, I can manage the pain and that is a blessing. Don't know when I'll get the results of the mri. They gave me the disc, but not the report.. no point in me looking at the disc!!

I really have to go, dinner and a shower and it will be time to go.

so sorry Marie

Phoebe
  • linder4866
    Options
    OH NO MARIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2661427joaku9n265.gif

I am devastated for you and your loss................{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Lin :'(
    Options
    1654800bgsb12nmwe.gif

for Marie and Jerry
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hi Becky, sounds like you have a plan, a good one.
    I like the idea of a place for everything, except for forgetting where that place is. I do that too. Had to look in several places to find the new place where i store my sewing bag. :p
    Busy day, dr for me and for one cat, my oldest. It was her senior check up. More dr. Appts tomorrow. Mri on my knee. New pain doctor is much better than the other one.
    Buzz, we are both getting over whatever it was. No fevers. Just lingering cough. Thx for asking. Remember Buzz, you are not alone. Not only are we here for you for emotional support, there are many many people who are going through the same things you and Mike struggle with. A dear friend of ours is dealing with his mothers dementia. For years, his parents have been Santa and Mrs. Claus. They open their fully decorated home to friends family and strangers from all over. They are in full costume. Mrs. Claus knows it will be her last year. She discussed it with the family, told them she wanted to go ahead with it if she can. They take it one day at a time. She is having seizures and fainting too. Its just an all around sad illness. Hugs for you both.
    Marie, Sammy may have to take over at your house! It sounds like Jerry is preoccupied with something. Jim didnt tell me he ate all of the salsa And the cheese dip too. Even after I told him we were having flautas tonight. Took them from the oven, and then had to go to Dollar General for salsa. MEN! Lol.
    Shirley, glad you're home safe if poorer. I guess we posted at the same time.
    going to say goodnight, got some things to do before bedtime.

Phoebe
    Swissmiss wrote: »
    <3 Phoebe...how have you been? I have so missed everyone. Now that I have internet at home maybe I can keep up.

<3 Barbie....I wish I had your willpower. I have a tendency to eat all my food. I have heard that you can ask for half of it to be wrapped to go before they bring it to you. Good idea.

<3 Marie....My husband makes strawberry salsa. Yum !!! I think I just got grandchild number 19.

<3 Jackie...it is great that you are staying so busy. That will keep you young and healthy.

I just got a Fitbit and am trying to figure it out. :s

• Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hello

Be patient I am typing on my new TABLET what a difference.
    I went shopping with my sister today and all went well.

She will be joining us for Christmas this year. So far there will be 12 of us, we have not heard from the other half of the family yet.

Not commenting today just trying to get through this post.

Shirley
    Ontario Canada