Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    2191610q208gshr57.gif This is the beginning of my official post-surgical walking program....I'm supposed to walk for five minutes at a time four to six times a day and then increase in a day or two if the pain is OK. I'm also using an Ice pack on my incision three times a day. I have my pedometer in the pocket of the fleece zip-up jacket that I wear the in the house. Yesterday before the official start to my walking program I had 1798 steps. Today will be better. Walking in the house is boring so I put on my headphones and made a phone call during the first walk, and listened to my audio book during the second walk.

<3 Barbie
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see you taking it slow and easy i am cirious what do they call your surgery that you had.
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Nancela.....Nice to have a new face in the group. I am certain that you will enjoy all of these delightful ladies and their various adventures and stories, plus the communities best pets around.

I too am 69 yrs old, married 47 yrs now, have 1 son and 1 daughter with great spouses and 4 granddaughters and 1 grandson. I have been trying my darnest to drop the added weight, which seems like a very slow process being that walking has primarily been my exercise of choice. I have spent the last 4 months pretty much doing nothing because I have developed plantar fisciitis and a bone spur as well. Recovery is very slow, but I am hoping it comes to an end much faster than it did a few years ago. They say to walk 30min 5 days a week....I was doing 5 or 6 days a week and this is where it has gotten me. :( However without the exercise the weight loss goes no where. Good luck with this.

In California it is starting to cool down finally. We did have a week of 70s which was delightful and this week it is in the 80s. Really nice to finally hit fall and I am more than ready for some welcomed rain.

Sandy...Where does Buzz live in Florida ? Really am concerned as everyone else is about her and Mike and anyone else that lives on the east coast. I am praying this drops way down in intensity and moves back out to sea.

And before I forget a Happy Thanksgiving to Jeri, Anne, Shirley and Gala, who celebrate their Canadian holiday this weekend. Enjoy your holiday and have safe travels. Jackie, when do you celebrate Thanksgiving in England ?

Thinking of everyone...

Diane

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Oops, lost my post!! Will try to get back later. Diane, I'm pretty sure Buzz lives near or even in the Palm Beach area so it'll be pretty wild for her at the moment. We celebrate a Harvest Festival at the end of September around the time of the Autumn Equinox but it doesn't extend beyond the church service when items produced during the harvest are brought by families and then distributed amongst the poor, well that was tradition but not so sure there are hand outs today. It's not a public holiday but more a religious service to give thanks. Our local church had an open Sunday when potatoes were judged for the funniest shape, carrots for the largest and so on. Nice pies and cakes too!

Time for lunch.
    Jackie
  • Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in to say my home page has disappeared. Just a bunch of adverts and nothing else. I usually say good morning on it, but it's a goner.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Mine too Anne, not that I often visit these days..... more changes being made no doubt!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    CALIECAT wrote: »
    I am glad to see you taking it slow and easy i am cirious what do they call your surgery that you had.

:) My surgery is called decompressive laminectomy. It remove the excess bone that is pressing on nerves in the spine. The symptoms were pain, numbness, and tingling in my legs even though the problem was in my spine.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday, :) My daughter is safe and assures me other than losing power they should be fine. The eye hasn't hit yet, so I am still worried. Buzz might have lost power but her complex knows how to handle the situation. I pray that this ends with no more casualties.
    Babe should get his results today and know when he is coming home. Daisy is much bettered behaved for me than for him so she is easy peasy to take care of. We went for a mile walk yesterday and hopefully will do the same today. His scale is messed up so I will wait until next Friday to weigh in.
    I am on my IPad and miss my desktop so will keep this short. Have a great day and stay safe!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I see yesterday's post couldn't make it, but my phones and internet are crazy today, too. I never lost electricity, but good old Comcast went out on me intermittently, and while I can hear others, they cannot hear me except once in a great while! SANDY is correct about my complex handling things magnificently. At least I found out how to use all my saved lanterns (yes I had 24 D batteries available, but didn't need 'em!) and that I must buy AAA's! Today I poured out all my water containers and was pleased we didn't need them. I slept through the wind and rain! Will try again later, as my email is out, too!
    <3 Buzz
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Oh wow! You are the only communication I have online! Glad to be here! All's well, but I must get upstairs to see Mike now. We enjoyed a jambalaya dinner last night. Nothing fazes our fantastic staff!
    BARBIE, you sound terrific and good luck recovering your original self!
    Happy to see DIANE back
    and everyone's posts are welcome reading.
    It appears my ethernet connection is more reliable today than WiFi, but my eyes are blurry so my love to you all.
    <3 Buzz
    This one doesn't seem to be posting!
  • 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Nancela.
    I'm Chris ,live in Idaho for the last 3 yrs. Lived in Montana 35 yrs. Married 51 years, I'm 69 and have 4 children, 12 grand, and 4 great grand. I am a quilter and volunteer. I list about 45 lbs but have been struggling with the last 25. I exercise, swim, stationary bike, and dvd tapes. One day I will be the weight I want to be and my Dr said I have to loose 12 lbs by March. I am trying.
    Have fun in our group we are really supportive of one another like family.
    Hi to evetyone.
    Chris
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I hit the previous page button again and lost my post.

The long and short of it, I am done making the stuffed shells and tomorrow I will bake the pumpkin spice cake. I am going outside to do some reading and cool off, the kitchen is too hot.

The garage floor is painted except for a couple of spots and we can put everything back tomorrow.
    Dave ended up taking all the base coat off anyway before he could paint with the proper mix. He is exhausted.

Shirley
  • Nancela
    Nancela Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am so impressed that people my age are exercising. Because of my arthritis I have not been. I now am inspired to at least try. I think I am going to do a online senior chair workout to start and also start swimming next week. MY physiotherapist says I have to be careful with my knees or I will get another flare-up. I just finished a round of therapy so don't want to ruin all I had done. Maybe I will also try some upper body weights. I have to start slow because I am so out of shape so I will start with 12 reps per day and work up. How does this sound for a starting from scratch plan.(for some reason my question mark does not work)
  • Nancela
    Nancela Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    6cookys wrote: »
    Welcome, Nancela.
    I'm Chris ,live in Idaho for the last 3 yrs. Lived in Montana 35 yrs. Married 51 years, I'm 69 and have 4 children, 12 grand, and 4 great grand. I am a quilter and volunteer. I list about 45 lbs but have been struggling with the last 25. I exercise, swim, stationary bike, and dvd tapes. One day I will be the weight I want to be and my Dr said I have to loose 12 lbs by March. I am trying.
    Have fun in our group we are really supportive of one another like family.
    Hi to evetyone.
    Chris

Hi Chris. Nice to meet you. Even though you are my age you sure seem to be a lot more active. Sometimes I feel like I am 90 years old. Thanks for your inspiration.
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! So glad everyone is safe. We had a catagory 2 hurricane a few years back. They didn't call it a hurricane because it didn't have the traditional shape with an eye. It was called a strong winter storm event. There were two crescent shaped fronts that really did a number on the north Oregon and Washington coasts. We still see uprooted trees and abandoned destroyed buildings From that storm. People are wise to prepare and evacuate if possible. Buzz! You okay, doll? Don't play in the water!

Katie has taken a new interest in makeup and beauty treatments. She ate my new mascara and a compact of blush. Rotten little scamp! And it was brand new!

We are watching spooky movies these days. It is October...spooky movie month. I am back on the exercise bike again. I have to distract myself. Boring and no fun, but it is important. I wish I was like Barbie and actually enjoyed exercise.

Stay safe and if you believe in them, get your flu shots. I had mine and didn't feel a thing.
    Patsy
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous picture of Sandy and Robby.

Cannot stop giggling at the video Jackie. Poor George is just tormented by that tiny kitty!!! He hung in there though!

I hope my home page is back tomorrow. Ads, ads, ads. MFP always offers challenges.

I am kind of behind on the posts but so happy to hear from everyone.

Buzz, thank goodness you are doing well. I am relieved you have come through the storm.

I have been zooming around with errands and time spent talking with friends. Wedding tomorrow and church on Sunday. No idea what to wear and have decided to zip out tomorrow to try to find something for my friend at church. I made some cards yesterday and got them finished and sent out today.

I also finished reading a mystery and completed another cute puzzle.

ogirb3v1sdiy.jpg

Hugs to all. Be well (and safe)

Lin
  • 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Nanela, I have osteoarthritis too. I have had both knees replaced and 3 back fusions. A total of over 15 surgeries, but I find that if I move every day for 20 to 60 minutes I feel better. I do not take any meds for pain either. Just take exercise slowly. We are all getting older and slower but the turtle won the race. Lol
    I feel blessed every day. Take care
    Chris
  • Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    We had a good day yesterday, Miss Jilly and I. First of all we chatted with all the neighbours. I'm meeting people I didn't even know existed. My social life has improved 100 per cent. We got invited to two thanksgiving dinners which we had to say thank you but We'll be with family. Her favourite person turned up in the form of Michael and we set off for this lovely pet store Amy's mom told me about. Wow, an Aladdin's cave of wonderful things for mans best friend. I bought her a winter "coat" in snazzy orange with see in the dark piping, and a new harness to replace the neck pulling old fashioned collar. She was too small before! The owner gave her (and any other dog that came in) a treat which got wolfed down, so she got a bag of those. Then I noticed a very nice, well off looking lady with her head stuck in a freezer. She was buying frozen Canine Life pure meat dog patties which I'd never heard of. "My dog who is 15 and brimming with health has had these for 15 years" she said. So, I bought Jill a 6 pack to try and she being a tiny wee thing only needs a quarter in the morning and a quarter at night, 12 days worth for about the same price as canned dog food. She's on home cooked meals anyway and we carried on to buy emergency chicken if she doesn't care for the patties.
    This meant I said goodbye to the $105 the government sent me this week in the form of a tax credit being an old age pensioner on a limited income. She's worth it after bringing so much joy into my life!

We've just got in from our first thing early morning walk. We tried the new harness and it was so much better than the neck pulling collar when she spots a same size as her, squirrel. Almost got squirted by a skunk in next doors garden, phew, I can still smell him as I type this!

Have a good day, and so glad everyone's safe after the hurricane.
    Anne.

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    CALIECAT wrote: »

:) My surgery is called decompressive laminectomy. It remove the excess bone that is pressing on nerves in the spine. The symptoms were pain, numbness, and tingling in my legs even though the problem was in my spine.

have you noticed any relief yet . sure hope so.
    Marie

• delraybuzz
    Options
    My internet and phone service keep going in and out so I will just let you know before I lose it again, all is well except Comcast service is unreliable since the storm. I'm happy to hear it has gotten weaker, since they still warn it may turn around and come back here!
    Glad I was able to read today's posts and the pictures and puzzles are great! Oh oh, it's fading again...
    <3 Buzz