Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, Nancela. I nudged dear MARIE out of her senior spot when I joined many years ago, so we adopted each other as sisters instead! At 89, I have a few ideas regarding no pain, no gain! What I believed was great for my future health turned into chronic pain for me as I wore out hips and knees to bone on bone connections! I not only can no longer race walk, but walking has become very difficult and painful as one hip replacement ended up in deformity of my waistline being about 2 inches higher on the right side and though in my apartment I try to walk with my walker, I require a wheelchair to travel the long corridors of my senior Lifetime Care Community, in Boca Raton, FL, where I live independently. My dear husband, Mike, is in a connecting building where he is in skilled nursing/hospice at age 92.6. However, life is good, and my dear, dear Golden Sneaker family keeps me straight! I keep expecting to get back to various forms of chair exercise provided here, but have not disciplined myself enough yet to make time for it, so I am a blob Also, since dinner is provided here at Edgewater Pointe Estates (sounds fancier than it is!) I have a sodium/water retention problem. So, in essence, I would say moderation in all things physical would have served me better than my former love of all kinds of exercise from Aquasize (excellent) to Zumba (broke my hip!)
    Family consists of 4 daughters (2 mine, 2 his) and 2 sons (1 mine, 1 his) ranging from 67 to57 and 7 grandchildren, all living between NC and NY!
    Now I must go fill pots with precious water and dig out my various lanterns and battery driven fans in anticipation of Matthew, which is now around the Bahamas and headed straight for us!
    You will not find a dearer group of people than we have right here, so settle in for a stay!
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    There's an Autumnal feel to our weather today and the leaves are beginning to drop from trees and scud across the garden in a cold wind. My plan after a long walk this morning was to get more garden organised and then pop into the local town for a few items, one of which is a humane mouse trap after Brady decided to bring a live creature into the cottage before depositing it next to the fridge/freezer. You can imagine where it is now!!

Buzz ~ It does seem Matthew will head in your direction at the moment so do take care. I'm sure all necessary precautions are being taken for residents but it must still be pretty scary to be hit by such high winds.

Shirley ~ The chicken was delicious so I'm now going to look for a Jamaican pattie recipe! My neighbour and I were trying to get into a local yoga class for a few weeks starting this month but the lady running it hasn't come back to us so it might not happen. I did tell her I might get down on the floor but getting back up could take time so perhaps she was put off!!

Nancela ~ You may have gathered I live in England surrounded by a motley group of rescued pets and gorgeous moors. Welcome back to the group. Just like others, I've tried the no pain, no gain route and come to the conclusion it really isn't worth the collateral damage so just keep moving for as long and as much as I can on a daily basis and because I live on my own can always find plenty to do.

Sandy ~ Another lovely photo and goodness, isn't Robby growing up. It seems like only yesterday when he was born! Did you win that jackpot?

Hello to everyone else, Lin, Marie, Anne, Jeri and especially dear Barbie now on the way to recovery. Like you I'm so independent I struggle with the concept of others doing things for me but do try your best because it's all for the right reasons. <3

Decision time ~ outside in the cold wind or housework??
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
  • Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Oh poor George JACKIE but he won in the end! Brady reminds me of a certain puss I know of in Australia named Sao. He's my cousins kitten and she's forever removing small lizards. I think I prefer Brady's mouse!

Hello, NANCELA, I'm Anne and another octogenarian! I'm very lucky for my age, having acquired (the last thing I expected after my kitty died) a young puppy named Jilly who needs lots of short walks being a very small dog and long walks are not recommended because if walking is overdone it can result in arthritis down the road. I'm lucky because I can still manage to take her on these short walks. When I can't, my eldest son will become a dog owner. I think that's the secret for us humans as well, keep moving, but nothing in excess.

Oh poor LIN, I gather you are still itching! One of the joys of cooler weather is these nasty, bitey, stingy things disappear. I cannot wear my perfume in the summer, and it's so nice to smell flowery again in the fall. Hair spray is another no, no. Indeed anything that smells nice, hand cream, body lotion etc cannot be worn if one doesn't want to be mistaken for a flower. Its my blood that the bane of MY life is after, the dreaded mosquito!

I am going to try and find Miss Jilly a warm winter coat tomorrow. If she's too small, I guess in a pinch a baby's sweater will do.

Must away, what to have for lunch, mmm.
    Anne
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    I am not home but want to post a quick note that I am thinking of all our dear Sneakers and family members in the path of the storm. I am very concerned and praying for everyone.

God bless you and keep you.

Love

Hugs

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,090 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Happy Thursday! Lost my post! Meeting today, will be back later.
  • Nancela
    Nancela Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Canadian Thanksgiving coming up this weekend. I am determined NOT to gain over the weekend. I think it is doable. I am cooking so I never feel much like eating after cooking a big meal. My family is so picky. Everyone likes something different so I will have to make extra dishes to please everyone. That is not good for me but I am determine to be careful. Famous last words.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Well the fixing and painting of the garage floor is not going well. Dave filled all the crevaces with paint on top of sealer. Our Son in law gave us two cans of base instead of a base and an activator. So long story short its not drying, plus all the other painted spots that were done. So we called Fraser and now Dave is meeting him somewhere about an hour or more away to pick up the proper paint activator.
    Dave is not a happy campler. Plus he brought home our sail from the boat and it had mildrew on it,
    so he had to scrub that today. All this before our thanksgiving and our trip to New York City. When it rains it pours!!

Today I will start getting some things ready for our trip and get organized with clothes. I am going to
    pick some things up at the drugstore to take and I have a meditation meeting tonight (TM).

I hope everyone is safe if this storm is headed your way. <3

Jackie I see George won the battle and got his bed back, so cute. They must entertain you all day.

Buzz Thanks for the update on Mike, its every sad to see a loved one, especially your partner
    going through this. <3

Sandy - Fun with Robby, cute picture of the both of you.

Hi to Lin and Phoebe.

Welcome Nacela!! A new member is always welcome. I am around your age of 67, I have been married for 42 years and have two daughters, one married and one grandson, one daughter not married and a career girl. I live in Ontario, Canada and we are all here from all different areas. I too have osteoarthritis but mostly in my hands. I do Yoga, walk and bike mostly for exercise. We are also sailors and have a 30 foot sail boat. Enjoy the group !!!

Shirley
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Nancela, if they want their special foods, they should agree to take home leftovers, (and do the dishes, lol)
    Yes, I know I'll forget, Happy Thanksgiving to you in Canada!
    Anne, there are lots of choices for winter wear for our pets. They are as small as Xsmall. Another idea is several inexpensive fleece throws, cut if necessary,folded and tied. Remove one, throw in the wash!
    Be safe Lin.
    Batten down the hatches, Matthew is a steamroller!!
    Phoebe
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    Hi Nancela have you considered what we do when cooking festive meals. Hostess cooks the basic meal, say turkey, trimmings and veggies, take it or leave it, and everyone else who wants something different brings their own desserts, different veggies and then their leftovers are taken home by the bringers. That way the hostess is just left with her own preferences. To be honest though, this rarely happens because none of my little group are picky and are grateful to get out of the cooking! Lol. Mind you, we seem to have given up on thanksgiving these days. With everyone working in my family it's a day for them to put their feet up or get gardening chores out of the way. I usually get asked over by one son or the other these days, but it's just everyday stuff. Suits me, I've got out of cooking!
    Anne.
  • Nancela
    Options
    Nancela, if they want their special foods, they should agree to take home leftovers, (and do the dishes, lol)
    Yes, I know I'll forget, Happy Thanksgiving to you in Canada!
    Anne, there are lots of choices for winter wear for our pets. They are as small as Xsmall. Another idea is several inexpensive fleece throws, cut if necessary,folded and tied. Remove one, throw in the wash!
    Be safe Lin.
    Batten down the hatches, Matthew is a steamroller!!
    Phoebe

Oh, they do take home leftovers. And help with the dishes. They also bring some dishes so I don't have to make everything. They know they have to because I can't stand on my feet too long because of my arthritis. Even the son-in-laws pitch in. And my 9 year old granddaughter wants to make the biscuits which she is very good at. Great family.

We have a storm coming in here too, It will probably bring snow. Too early for snow. It usually doesn't come until Halloween. Yuck! I hate snow. Living in the wrong place.

• Jacean2016
    Options
    Fleece throws sound interesting PHOEBE. Thanks for the tip. I must see if they can be bought in Canada. Miss Jilly looked so sweet just now, over at the mail box she found a twig bigger than herself and trotted all the way home with it. Last week she found a tennis ball and a base ball. I put my foot down with the base ball, far too heavy, like a cricket ball I think? However, I let her bring the tennis ball home, and what a struggle THAT was with her small mouth. She managed, grasping the "whiskers".
    Anne
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Happy to meet you Nancela. I am a retired art teacher. I am married, live in Oregon on the coast. I have a son and a married daughter, one grandson and a 7 month old labradoodle puppy named Katie. As far as age goes...my body is pretty old but my brain is about 6 years old. I have mobility issues as well. A knee that wobbles and diabetes. Like all of us, I am are paddling as fast as i can. You might have guessed that this is a diverse and wonderful group. They are supportive and funny and interesting. I am disorganized, and always dealing with unfinished projects and piles of books...some partly read, some unread. Laundry to be folded, dust to be removed, dog toys are my main decor items. This group is so great, they even tolerate a demented soul like me. Welcome! Come on in!
    Patsy
  • Nancela
    Options
    oystereyes wrote: »
    Hello everyone! Happy to meet you Nancela. I am a retired art teacher. I am married, live in Oregon on the coast. I have a son and a married daughter, one grandson and a 7 month old labradoodle puppy named Katie. As far as age goes...my body is pretty old but my brain is about 6 years old. I have mobility issues as well. A knee that wobbles and diabetes. Like all of us, I am are paddling as fast as i can. You might have guessed that this is a diverse and wonderful group. They are supportive and funny and interesting. I am disorganized, and always dealing with unfinished projects and piles of books...some partly read, some unread. Laundry to be folded, dust to be removed, dog toys are my main decor items. This group is so great, they even tolerate a demented soul like me. Welcome! Come on in!
    Patsy

Thank you Patsy, it's nice to meet you too. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and your diversity. I used to be on a message board for an entertainer but all that went by the wayside and I miss the day to day chit chat. This place feels right to me.

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Just read al the post and you learn a lot about us. Our personal life is an open book here almost.

Where do you live. i am a Texas

God bless all on the East coast
    Marie
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    Like Marie, god bless all on the east coast,
    Anne
  • CALIECAT
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I go to a wound clinic next Wednesday

God Bless all on the East Coast Buzz do take care. and anyone else who might be in harm way
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Time to fix dinner and get ready for a football game.
    marie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,090 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I am back! This hurricane has me a nervous wreck! My daughter is taking it so calmly and she keeps telling me not to worry. Can mothers do that? Hard to do that when they want her to evacuate but she said across the street they do not have too, so if necessary they can go across the street to the neighbor's. I do hope Buzz is safe and there is no evacuation necessary. Last I heard from Babe is that they took tests yesterday and today. He was hoping for one last test before seeing the doctor for all the results and what the plan of action will be. Won't know until tomorrow whether he will be home this weekend or not. He just called and said he might have to come back in a month for the other test. They will find out tomorrow. I did not win the big jackpot. Brain not working so will be back in the morning.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    I think Buzz is in a safe place. They will have generators that can take care of most important things first. I wouldn't expect the internet to work though, so we must be patient.
    Sandy, if they don't evacuate, it's most important that they cover glass like windows and doors or at least stay away from them. I think they'll have lots of clean up but they'll be okay.
    Anne, I can just see that little doll with a big stick!
    We took a couple of long walks today, enjoyed but it was warm. Honey got very tired, so we came back slowly. Poor thing.
    Shirley,oh my! Dave will be exhausted. Too many things happening at once. So sorry about the floor. Haven't any suggestions. Hope it can be fixed easily.
    Night,
    Phoebe