Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    edited December 2014
    Funny bunch today. Love it LOL
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,363 Member
    Another snort.............and a couple of honks!!
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,271 Member
    What happens to Canadian geese when they fly upside down?
    They quack up.

The ladies are funny today....lol
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited December 2014
    Hi all!
    Anne, I cant find Vera on pbs. It must be only in Canada. I love most pbs mystery programs.
    Sometimes I wake early, but I dont stay awake for long.
    Lin, you set a good example in that you never complain. I know you have some painful health issues. So ill try to limit my comments on my own goings on. My knee Hurts! There, how'd I do? Lol

got the grocery shopping done and not much else. I took a hot bath, it felt great, and now im sooo sleepy.

Marie, the book is beside me, still not read it.

The jokes are good, enjoying them. Hope to post more tomorrow

Phoebe
    p.s. Sandy, it just occured to me. Our cat, Boo, has had issues with scratching and vomiting. She also losses hair from excessive grooming herself. The vet gave her a steroid injection. Dont know if they've tried it for Daisy, might be something to ask.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,363 Member
    Hello Phoebe - glad to hear from you. Grocery shopping can be a big chore--especially with so many people in the stores. Did you ever get Acorn TV on your Roku box? They have 4 sets (seasons I think) of Vera available. Amazon has it but you have to pay for each episode or for the season..........

I've been busy organizing all afternoon. All of the boxes of my dad's paperwork are all stacked together in the basement. I'd been bringing them home one by one and putting them where ever I'd find a space. I like having them in one place. My paperwork is also in one spot. All the keys are labeled and duplicates are in the safe. All my valuable "stuff" is in the safe. I've sorted out a few things to go to Goodwill. Getting rid of some suitcases, briefcases and laptop bags and some clothing. I had some fun sorting through my camera equipment; still love it. They are film cameras and I've always adored them. Checks written and everything lined up to take to church tomorrow.

I'm taking a crochet class in the afternoon so will probably not have much time to spend online. Hugs to all. Catch up with you later.

Wish I had a joke to share!!!

Lin
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,148 Member
    :D I got an email from PETCO today with a coupon good for 20% off whatever we bought this weekend so we went down and bought a month's worth of food and treats for Bernie and avoided making any impulse purchases.

:D I made latkes for lunch again....very labor intensive but Jake loves them so it's worth the effort...high in calories because of cooking in oil and serving with sour cream but it's only a few times a year so we don't worry about it.

:D I get what everyone is saying about comfortable shoes.....I loved the look of the cute red shoes I bought for the holiday performances but they weren't comfortable at all and I was happy to go back to dancing in my familiar comfy shoes.

smiley-laughing001.gifsmiley-laughing001.gif I love all the jokes....keep them coming smiley-laughing001.gif

smiley-sleep012.gifI have always been a fairly early riser----I had to be at work around 7:30 when I was working, but it was about three years ago that I began to gradually change my sleep patterns so I could get up early enough to walk the dogs before going to early morning events....it was a gradual process that required the discipline of going to bed a little earlier every night and getting up a little earlier.....I resist taking a nap so it doesn't interfere with my regular bedtime.....I made the change because it was important to me to be able to walk the dogs when I wanted to walk them.smiley-sleep012.gif
  • Lin, I was thinking about you this morning and I am so sorry you are experiencing so much pain in your joints, poor hands and toe. I hope you don't mind a newbie like me commenting and my own experience probably isn't relevant to what you are going through. However, for me most of the pain disappeared after losing the extra weight. By your profile picture you don't seem to have that problem, but there is one more thing I did, and nothing to do with weight. Do you eat a lot of tomatoes? I read somewhere that tomatoes, peppers, any of the nightshade family of veggies can cause arthritic pain and swelling. Well I cut them out too at the same time, so who knows! It was first noticed in cattle apparently who ate in the hedgerows in England, and the pain was so bad the poor things couldn't stand up. Meanwhile, my friend also suffers the same symptoms as you and recently her doctor has asked her to cut them out. She ate loads of tomatoes. Anyway it's just a thought and I do wish you a pain free new year. I'm at home with a cold, the first in 5 plus years! Anne.
  • Sandydur
    edited December 2014
    Happy Sunday!! :D Dreary day here, but I have no plans to go anywhere. I am all done with Christmas shopping, wrapping etc. All I have to do is come up an appetizer to take to three different houses. Will search google for that today.

Anne, sorry you caught a cold just in time for Christmas, do you have your family to your house or go to theirs? I don't eat a lot of tomatoes or peppers so maybe that is why I don't have too many aches and pains. B)

Barbie, I tried again to do the animations but I am doing something wrong. Which code are you using and how do you get the whole code? I do agree you can get more done if you get up early but I love sleep so it is hard for me. I am also a night person so staying up late is just something I do. B)

Lin, organization is great, with being a little OCD I have a place for everything. I am so happy to have a garage to put all the tote boxes in the attic storage. My mom crocheted and made some beautiful things, I have a doily she made for me. <3

Phoebe, please if anyone complains on this forum it is me. You guys are like therapy to me so I just say how I feel each day. Sorry if I complain too much. o:) I think Daisy is on prednisone or at least she was. Babe said maybe because she gets groomed every week that she might have dry skin like we all get in the winter. Either that or possibly the groomer tried a new product which he will ask on Monday. She is doing better with the benedryl. <3

Marie, have fun with Alice today. Gayla does post on Facebook so she might just be too busy to post here. Let us know what you find out.

Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• Yes Sandy, I have the dubious honour of cooking Christmas dinner this year....so, I am coddling myself today. Don't want to be sneezing when I make the sherry trifle Christmas eve, OR the mincepies the day before that! Happily my lovely D-I-L has made the Christmas pud. Just needs boiling on the big day. Not a great cook, me, so I'm glad Christmas comes but once a year! Merry Christmas everyone!
  • Ive been making Christmas candies to give away. First time using these recipes. I like the mint ones best. Very sweet, im more sensitive to supersweet foods now. You have to use all the sugar called for or it will be sticky. Tried sitting on a stool, not too helpful. Going to box them all while getting vegetable dinner.
    Did Shirley go somewhere? Im so forgetful.
    Marie, ive read some of the book, im getting my questions answered. Wouldnt have any questions if i read the whole book!
    Lin, when i get time to watch tv ill see if i have acorn tv. Weve been gone so long ive forgotten what i have on roku too!
    better get to it
    Phoebe
  • CALIECAT
    edited December 2014
    I found the million dollar fudge recipe and Thought I might make it but change my mind nobody in my family needs it. jerry birthday is Christmas day. and Alice is having us over for dinner and Her husband order a Birthday cake . We will have Christmas at Kathy Next Sunday so Kylee can be with us

Been watching football all afternoon. Dallas Won and going to the Playoff. Yip Yip
    I sent Gayla an E mail to see about her no answer yet. Really concern about her.

Hugs <3 Marie.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,318 Member
    edited December 2014
    Hello Everyone,

For the first time in about 2 1/2 weeks I feel like I might get over this bug. Sinuses are still draining and my head is a little clogged up, but I have energy. Boy does that feel good.

Anne. Welcome. This is a great group of ladies as I am sure you have already found out. I'm a fellow Canadian, my husband Ed and I live in Calgary. I love your joke too

Phoebe - that's quite a task. Homemade gifts are so nice.

I spent the day getting my myself organized to do some baking. With us, we have to be so careful with our grandsons who are anaphalactic to so many things. Then my daughter and granddaughter have celiac disease and I can't eat milk or eggs.

Sandy - so organized. Good for you.

Marie - I reserved the book about your diet at the library. I'll check it out.

Lin - you are impressing me. WTG

BARBIE - once a year latkes should definitely be allowed. I make squares once a year too. They are a family recioe and Christmas isn't Christmas without them. I've even changed the recipe to accommodate all our allergies.

Well, I must run, heading to the grocery store to buy items for Christmas baking. I made dairy free sweetened condensed milk, tomorrow I'll make graham crackers and then put together Jo's Squares, a version for all of us allergic people and the original version for Ed and a few to add to a plate of goodies for our neighbors.

Jeri
  • CALIECAT
    Jeri I am so comfortable with the plan. And that is something I have not being able to say about all the many diets I have been on. no cravens no hungry spells and etc. I have my trust in it. blood sugar is almost in control. Little trouble in adjusting my insulin But think It is under control now. had one low and never any highs I think this is my fourth week on it.I am still reading it for I have been jumping around on in it. Alice and I ate out today and no problems. I am working towards another loss this week. and have every confident I will.
    glad you are feeling better and ED too. Looking forward to see you and Ed by the Christmas tree. this year.
    Marie
  • barbiecat
    smiley-bounce016.gifSandy, which animations are you looking for?

smiley-bounce017.gif these are from www,freesmileys.org

• Jeri what are squares?
  • Sandydur
    barbiecat wrote: »

Yes these, but which code do you use?
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,318 Member
    edited December 2014
    Jeri what are squares?

LOL Jo's Square is a pan of goodies cut up into squares. We call them Jo's Squares as Ed's Mom, Jo, made them all the time.

Jo's Squares - Original Version

Recipe By: Jeri Strickland
    Serving Size: 36

Ingredients:

- 1 1/2 cups Graham Cracker Crumbs, 25 crackers
    - 2 Tablespoons Sugar
    - 1/2 cup Melted Butter
    - 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
    - 1 Can Condensed Milk, Sweetened
    - 2 cups Coconut, Flaked (Fine)
    - =========================================
    - Icing Recipe:
    - 2 Tablespoons Butter
    - 2 cups Confectioner's Sugar, Sifted
    - 1 Egg White
    - 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
    - 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla
    - 4 Tablespoons Cocoa

Directions:

1. Melt butter in 8" glass cake dish in microwave oven. Add graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Mix well and pack down and bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Mix condensed milk, coconut and vanilla. Spread filling mixture over crust. Brown at 350 degrees F for approximately 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.

2. Ice with Chocolate icing when cool, and cut into squares.

3. Directions for Chocolate Icing:

4. Cream butter, sift together sugar and cocoa. Add about 1/4 of this mixture to the butter. Cream until light. Add unbeaten egg while and salt, beating until blended. Gradually add remaining sugar/cocoa mixture, beat until fluffy. If icing is too stiff, add a small amount of hot water. I usually add about 1 Tablespoon of hot water to the mixture. I mix it all in the food processor. When adding the hot water, work fast because it will get quite soft. You can then easily pour it on the squares, spread it to all the edges and let it set. It sets up very fudgey and good.

5. Any chocolate icing recipe will do, but this one is very good.

Notes:

NOTES : This is a family recipe that we make every Christmas. They are delicious!!!

• Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Hi to everyone from sunny Saskatchewan. Sorry to have worried you, Marie. We are doing fine but life seems very busy right now. We have been test driving vehicles and it takes so much time. Fun though! We finally bought a car yesterday, a Honda Accord, 2015. I think we will really enjoy it.
    I got my nuts and bolts made a few days ago and today I made the Queso (with ground beef and sausage). Both are annual must haves at our house. Tomorrow I have to pick up a few last minute gifts and groceries and then wrap, wrap, wrap! I also need to get a bit of baking done, not a lot but a few things.

I hope you all enjoy a very Merry Christmas and the happiest of New Years! Hugs from Gayla.
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Marie -- I did take some pics for you but it was a dreary day and they didn't turn out great but I will try again. G.
  • barbiecat
    Sandydur wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »

Yes these, but which code do you use?

smiley-computer004.gifNow I understand the question......I use the top code that says Forum