Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Another beautiful 3 mile walk, washing out on the line to dry, heard the sad news that Leonard Cohen has passed then 2 minutes silence at 11 am for our Armistice day. Now it's time to make a pot of coffee, feed George his lamb, chicken and rice before doing a couple of hours tidying in the garden. I'm nowhere near clearing up but at least I now have some energy and enthusiasm to try! Dear Brady had his first fisty-cuffs with the nasty local feral cat and is licking his wounds. Nothing too serious and hopefully he's learned to make a hasty retreat rather than assume all cats are as friendly as he is!

Have a good Friday everyone.
    Jackie
  • Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Popped in early to say that after our recent discussion, sadly Leonard Cohen has died. Jackie already knows, but this was written particularly for you JACKIE because I know you loved his music. So sorry.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks Anne. He's left a great legacy so I'll always have his albums to play. Didn't you mention that he'd said he didn't want to live anymore? Perhaps he was already unwell but guess we'll never know.

Decided to make parsnip soup before gardening so online to look for a spicy recipe!
    Jackie
  • Jacean2016
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yes, he did JACKIE, and if he knew he had limited time, no wonder his last song was so unhappy. It was mentioned on the news that he will be remembered for being a kind man, so that's good in my books.

Is poor Brady still licking his wounds! All these little friendly ones have to learn, alls not sunny in this world. Jill's fear now is big dogs stepping on her, no more rushing up to Reilly etc with happy yips. Stays behind Anne until she gets the all clear. Cuddle Brady for me!
    Anne.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    My new doctor gave me the Ok on this plant base diet He is a heart doctor and a primary care doctor. Can't go wrong with that combination And located within 3 blocks of my house. I go back next Thurs for some test he has all done in his office. how wonderful.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    1762894qrto6r76uz.gif

Thanks to all who serve or have served!!

Happy Friday! :) Well my weight didn't change because of dinner last night. :( I will still do the best I can and continue to exercise and record my calories. So easy to put on but oh so hard to take it off!!

Marie, glad you found a doctor you like and is close to home. I know you are happy with the plant base diet and if he approves then it must be okay for your diabetes.

Jackie, so sorry about Brady, I hope his wounds aren't too bad but still must be painful. I hate the sound of cats fighting, it almost makes me cry.

I am staying home today and doing nothing other than riding my bike and possibly make a spaghetti dish in my new little two person crock pot. I am going to an Al Anon event tomorrow morning and it starts at 8:30 so another early morning for me.

Enjoy your day and be grateful for the veterans who make our country save.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Veteran's Day! I am always very conflicted about my convictions on this. I am an old hippy pacifist. I always want to see a diplomatic solution to all situations. Yet I am very grateful to those who choose to serve. Thank you for your service, veterans!

Big violent protests in Portland! Protests going on here in this little town too, but not violent. Mainly loud angry chants and people standing around in front of the court house and post office building. It feels scary and I have a strong feeling this thing isn't over yet!

I learned about Leonard Cohan from Anne and Jackie here on the sneakers. I had never heard of him before. I looked him up and listened to some of his songs on YouTube. He reminded me of Joe Cocker. Also sadly gone...he had a wonderful gravelly bluesy sound. In a way he sounded sort like New Orleans Jazz. I ordered a couple of his CDs from Amazon this morning. Sad to hear he is gone.

Still coping with various doctor appointments and more tests. Aaaaaaaargh! Some days I have this urge to just say..."forget it! I'll keep doing what I can to live in a healthy way!" Just keep all your tests and dangerous meds! But that doesn't sit well with John. He rightly says it is fool hearty to ignore proven strategies to deal with various conditions. I guess I am having a temper tantrum. Enough whining, I promise!

Moping kitchen floor, laundry, brush-brush Katie, a pot of chili that will make you sit up and take notice! That's my plan for the day, then some time to work on a creative project in the dungeon.
    Patsy
  • karengreen7140
    karengreen7140 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi all and happy Veteran's Day. I am especially grateful for my brother, Hal, who served 20 + years in the Army, even though in his younger years he was a conscientious objector (Viet Nam). He served in the first Gulf War and returned safely, then returned in a support capacity during the retiree call-back several years ago.

I am recovering from bppv--which in layman's terms is recurring dizziness associated with malfunction of the inner ear. Believe it or not, the prescribed treatment is physical therapy--learning eye exercises and head movements to retrain the brain not to misinterpret messages from the inner ear to the brain. I have gone from room spinning episodes which were awful to an occasional "tipsy" morning that passes once I'm up for a few hours. Now the pt has given me several balance exercises and is willing to formulate a strength training program for me to facilitate weight loss. When I relayed this info to my doc he told me he would be happy to rewrite the referral to expand services as needed and useful. Happy day!

My weight remains stubbornly stuck between 248 and 260. I have returned to recording my food on MFP in hopes that perhaps I'm missing something on my nutritional intake.

More going on but that's enough for now. Good to see some new people here since I was around and to see Jackie and Buzz and some of the ones that I don't see on FB.

Take care,

Karen
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Hello Karen, great to see you returned to the fold!

Brady is obviously feeling a whole lot better because currently when not tormenting my female cat Hebe he's trying to knock items off the table or tearing at the wallpaper... again! The limp seems to have gone and now that it's dark outside he's feeling brave enough to pop in and out. Thanks for the concern but I think worry over!

I was considering buying Leonard Cohen's latest album but now will definitely put an order in.

Not quite my bedtime but will settle in front of tv with a satsuma and see what I can find to watch to send me off to la-la land!!

Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,133 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon. Just stopping by for a few minutes before leaving to make Christmas cards at the library this evening. Oops, they are probably titling this Holiday cards. My bad.

Church turkey dinner tomorrow and a few errands were added to my list. Unfortunately I was asked to pick up all the change for the DINNER cash box. I had done the craft/bake sale cash box a while ago. So will need to dash around tomorrow as banks were closed today.

I did stop by the craft/bake sale at the senior center and found this lovely little miniature quilt. It is machine quilted but is actually pieced. Some were pieces of printed material but no piecing involved.

I called Walmart and they assured me that they would have someone help me with my multiple bag purchase of water softener salt. Of course that did not happen. Got all the bags in the cart, paid for them and told the clerk I needed assistance. He just said thank you and hurried to checkout the next customer so I told the guy at the exit that I needed help. He said if I couldn't get then in the car I could come back and he'd see if he could find someone to help. I was steamed enough that I got them in the car. The bags are all unloaded into the garage now. I will get them to the basement little by little.

Karen, we have several people coming to Qigong/Tai Chi to improve balance. We do eye exercises among other things which I find are helpful with my vision. Also a number of the gentle poses/exercises promote better balance as well.

Jackie, I did order the last Leonard Cohen CD. Through Amazon after the order I got Auto Rip and have downloaded the tracks to my laptop and to iTunes. And I can listen through Amazon music because I own it now. Do you have that option?

Patsy, sorry there are violent protests in Portland but as an area with many free thinkers, I would expect it. I am an old hippie and participated in many local marches back in the day. Just protest, no violence.

Sandy, nice that you got a bit of a relaxing day.

Anne, did you have your minutes of silence this morning? There were no folks at Walmart today selling paper poppies. Has that fallen into disfavor?

Marie, great news about your new doctor!! I hope all works out well!!

89aeyk4a4spb.jpg

Hugs.

Lin
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    Yes, Remembrance or Armistice day is big here as it should be LIN. A very sad day here and in Great Britain until the afternoon anyway. We noticed the WW11 Lancaster fly overhead around 11 o'clock. WW11 and Korean War veterans are looking older. Alas, they are now joined by the other later various war survivors. I believe the lady who laid the main poppy wreath on the war memorial was the mother of a killed 21 year old in Afghanistan, the honour no one wants.

Sad day all around. Not only did Leonard Cohen die but so did The Man from Uncle star Robert Vaughan.

I had the furnace repair man over today. If anyone remembers it broke down last year during the coldest period and brr was it ever cold!
    I left it all to Mark not being technically minded, but the on off switch has broken (it turns on for a short period giving heat and then switches off too early) so we now await a new part to arrive. Just as well we had it checked out because tremendous winds blew a cold front down from the Arctic today and Jill and I both needed our sweaters! Hard to believe after the recent high temperatures that this is normal.

The violence in Portland was shown on our news. Stay home and safe PATSY.
    Anne
  • qwander
    qwander Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm back after about a pause of a few years, not sure just how long ago it was but a long time for sure. Still the same wt but getting healthier. i can't even find any 'old' posts of mine.. maybe I just don't know where to look. All is well and good in my world.
    I do recognize some familiar names like Sandydur and Caliecat. will see who else I can find but need a bit more time.
    It's been a good day, went to daughter's school (she is office manager) where they held a rally with treats to sell for Veterans to fly to Washington.. Honor Flights. they are donating 100% to the cause. she has been honored to fly with them once. her hubby is a retired Navy and son is in the Marines so it is a very patriotic family as are we all.
    Life is good and I am blessed..
    Scatter Kindness, Nola
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hhi Nola, good to see you drop in. Welcome back
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Late, as usual. It was a really tough day for me when I attended a beautiful ceremony held here for Veterans' Day. Brought back so many memories beautiful and painful; and among the many pictures in a really fantastic presentation there was a stunning picture of Mike in uniform while he was in India. I had managed to hold myself together until that was on the screen, and I was not the only one who broke down. Wow, do we all miss him!
    NOLA, Mike was the first one here at Edgewater Pointe to attend an Honor Flight, and it was one of his Life's Highlights! Because of his reaction, we have several veterans going on the flights at least twice a year now. He felt so honored by the reception; it's much more than seeing monuments. It's really an unbelievable show of appreciation and camaraderie! Like PATSY and LIN, this old gal was probably an original hippy, and I was among the protesters along with my young kids marching against wars, racism, and heaven remembers what else! But when it comes to Veterans, I am a real softie for those willing to die so the rest of us can "do our own thing"!
    gte7b3rimdf0.png
    I want to thank all of you who sent me such beautiful cards when Mike passed on. I shall save them as a part of my special memories of a wonderful group of dear friends. Each day becomes a tiny bit easier and I hope eventually I will get the sleep that seems to escape me!

I just learned about a wound covering by the name of Telfa Adhesive Dressing (2 sides adhesive) and Telfa Adhesive Island Dressing (adhesive on 4 sides). I 've had a wound on my shin for almost a month and regular bandages were keeping it open and sore. These Telfa dressings don't stick to the newly forming skin nor do hey require tape. I think they are a huge improvement over bandaids! As I get more "mature", wounds heal so slowly! Since I don't get out shopping much any more, I ordered a supply of dressings from Amazon, and last night I ordered a new air mattress for my DD's visit since ther are no guest rooms available now. She arrives Monday and the mattress is a 2 day delivery! Amazing how my shopping habits have changed!
    I also find my eyes get too blurry after attempting to type at night, so if there are loads of errors, kindly forgive me!
    ANd please know that even though I haven't mentioned YOUR name, you are in my heart too.
    <3 Buzz
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Buzz, your post brought tears to my eyes so I can imagine your personal reaction and that of the others.

Ed and I and my cousin went to the Remembrance ceremony at the Military Museum here. The weather was great and the service very nice. After we toured the museum. Canada, like the US, treated their Japanese people very badly as a result of the war and there is a very touching exhibit about that. It was the pictures of the ids of Canadian born Japanese people that really touched me. The same thing had been done to the Ukranian men in WWi. Sadly I could see things like that happening again.

My cousin's daughter is staying with us this weekend. She is a real sweetie and we always enjoy her visits.

I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder this week. It helped somewhat but not 100%. I can lift my arm up better but I had bad pain in my arm again last night. I think I need to do some Physiotherapy. At least I can pull up the covers with less pain. That is good. I can also put dishes away without too much aggravation as well.

• Jacean2016
    Options
    I'll never be as popular as my dog. We went out to rake the mounds of leaves and it took us ages because at least six adults stopped to chat and pick up the Bean, and seven children stopped to cuddle and play with her, including one little autistic boy who finally plucked up courage to stroke her. I was really pleased about that. We've now come in for coffee for me, and a dog nap for her.
    Lovely day now but freezing this morning. It's quite pleasant now the sun is out.
    Hope Saturday is equally enjoyable for everyone,
    Anne.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Here is a picture of my Dad I posted on Facebook for Remembrance Day/Veterans Day. He was in the US Army for 20 years and in World War ll. May we remember all our veterans from all the wars.

65uxz4j75tt5.jpg

Shirley

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) Back from the meeting but soon must leave for Mass. Stopping by Babe's after Church because he has some supplies and my check. I will have to be ready to have Daisy jump on me as she will be excited.

No time for a post but wishing you all a great day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    Options
    This evening I watched a fascinating documentary about 2 young men who went to fight in WWI, one German and one English. They had both carried cameras and several of their photos have survived which show that although on opposite sides, their journeys were incredibly similar, in fact at one point they were less than 2 miles from each other and seeing the war in the same light. Just teenagers and neither survived but at least their photos did so we know their stories today.
    I should be in bed as it's nearly midnight but there's an ELO concert from Hyde Park in London on the BBC so I'm sort of rocking gently as I brush my teeth and slap on some face cream. A relatively quiet day after our usual moors walk but achieved quite a bit of housework before settling down, lighting the fire and relaxing. Yesterday's parsnip soup turned out to be beautiful and I think helped me towards losing a pound this week so that I'm now only 2 lbs off my goal.
    Jeff Lynne now singing Mr Blue Sky so I'll dance my way to bed!
    Jackie
  • qwander
    qwander Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just home from church, we had a dinner there tonight and it was really a nice evening.
    How great Jackie only being 2 lbs from goal.. congratulations. I am headed down but have a way to go yet, but just feel great that I'm headed in the right direction.
    Life is good and I am blessed..
    Scatter Kindness
    Nola