Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hello sneakers! What a winter we have had here in Oregon! We have had 138 days of rain here in Astoria. I am waterlogged and beyond soggy. We have brave little dripping wet daffodils and the blooming andromeda (I guess that is what it is called...) sweet smelling blossoms. The Oregon wildlife is showing up now. Spiders, slugs, gnats, etc along with copious amounts of pollen, moss and mold. Life is happening!

Our daughter is in very poor health and lives right down the road from us. We never see her or her family. I must say, reading about the lovely very close families here on sneakers makes me almost sob. Today I will drop by my daughters house and try to see if she might be willing to have a positive and friendly chat. I keep saying to myself, over and over...every problem has a solution Maybe not the one we would like or want but there is a solution.

My big effort this spring and summer will be to simplify so that we can enjoy a more leisurely life. My list of must do tasks dominate my life too much. To close this philosophical clap-trap, I will say this...grab life and enjoy every moment because tomorrow...it is going to rain, if you live in Oregon.
    Swimming against the tide,
    Patsy

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! Busy day with my meeting, errands etc. It is already dinner time so I will check in tomorrow. Good luck Patsy with your daughter, saying a prayer you can connect.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    its gret seeing old friends Welcome Maddie My computer been on the brinked for the pste 5 days. i am just too old to handle it. but tat is not new,.marie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,185 Member
    Options
    Good evening, nope, no handyman today. I waited and waited and waited. Oh well. Got lots of little things out of the way and ready to take my car in tomorrow.

Patsy, I do pray that you are able to find a way to have a better relationship with your daughter. That must be so stressful for you. Hugs for doggie girl!

Jackie, what a saga regarding your car and the guy who was involved. Nope, did not call him gentleman did I? No indeed. He should be held responsible but please do what is best for you.

Buzz, no new showerhead. The water here is horrible and will plug up a multi function showerhead in no time whatsoever. I am happy to have a shower that works. :)

Anne, there has been a significant amount of attention paid here to the American who perished. Such a horrible thing for the family when trying to celebrate a happy event.

Marie, glad you got your computer working again. Missed you!!

Back to work on some cards.

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Almost missed today! Heaven forbid. Somehow the day flew by. Attended my 20-week commitment Brain / Body / Spirit group and we studied sleep today! It seems such a problem for so many people. They discussed diffusers, massage, exercises including breathing, and everything sounded worth trying although once I hit my pillow, I sleep soundly. Maybe not long,...but deep! I doubt I get more than 4 or 5 hours, yet I'm not tired during the day. I suspect everyone's needs may be different. I seem to wake around 5:30 or 6 AM, and after a trip to the bathroom, I head for my compression boots and that hour of motorized leg massage. I am so very pleased with the difference in my leg skin (no more weeping or bleeding) and size (inches are disappearing!) and it has become a staple without which I cannot start my day. I'm getting better at finding time for me! Now if I could reduce my stomach area as well! Off to sleep so I can get my haircut in the morning.
    PATSY, as much as I love my kids, and they profess they love me, I see them very seldom. Some people see this as successful since they are quite independent of me, while others feel sympathy. I have become used to accepting that both they AND I are quite independent and once a week telephone calls become perfectly normal. Those are usually welcome and pleasant and warm (unless there are personal problems, in which case I've learned to try ignoring frustrated misdirected anger or worse, knowing it will blow over and be forgotten when the problem is solved!) but I feel wistful when I see other families get together 4 and 5 times a year! It just is what it is, and I have had to accept that I cannot fret over things that remain. The problem can only be solved by not allowing it to worry me, and I've learned to accept it! We do discuss it, and they assure me their lives are very fruitful and busy and they love me (or fear flying!) and I must believe it or feel miserable. We all do the best we can bringing up our children, and their adult behavior is what they choose! Never-the-less, I hope you eventually get to a relationship that is more rewarding for you and your daughter, if you are able to talk about it. If not, bury your feelings in your art or other creative things you do and don't compare your life with anyone else. No one really knows what goes on beneath the surface in other families!
    JACKIE, I do hope that irresponsible driver will somehow do the right thing for you and his damage, but I suspect unless you complain to either insurance or police, he will continue to ignore his action!... trying not to laugh at your description of getting up from the ground position. My contortions are such that I simply try to avoid getting too low! Yet I am totally fluid when it comes to standing and achieving the head to knees/hands flat on floor position, and then slowly curling back upright! I think it's because I have such long arms and so far, no back problems most of the time!
    LIN, OK, I get the plumbing problems! Just enjoy things you DO have, lol!
    MARIE, always happy when your computer brings you here again.
    SANDY, your delightful picture has me in a quandary about hair length again, but tomorrow I'll let you know my decision. You look so perky!
    I'm actually learning to "select all" and "copy" so next time my post disappears, I can simply "paste" it back in reply. Happens too often!
    Well past midnight, for a change, so please forgive me if I've overlooked you; I care for each of you and am simply running out of steam!
    Oh, dreadful news about terrorism in London. What has become of our society? Insane individuals just not valuing life; their own or others!
    <3 Buzz
  • jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Wonderful advice BUZZ, especially concerning ones children.

The terrorism in London upset me, especially as normal everyday policeman in the U.K. are not armed, but are trained to use guns when the need arises. PC Keith Palmer was a very nice man apparently, unarmed, and had a wife and 5 year old daughter. A fifth man, a 75 year old, has now died. Fancy, at 75 you go for a nice walk - and you don't walk home! The thug who caused all this unhappiness was described as a "soldier of the Islam state" by the so called Islam state. It should have read "coward of the Islam state." We can all use a car as a weapon against innocent folks out for a stroll, even the elderly!

Whew! Sorry about that, but it's great to get my feelings off my chest!

On to happier things, I won't record SANDY, until Monday, but I appear to have lost a pound! I hope to get Jill's nails cut at the vets today and pick up heartworm tablets and make enquiries about possible spaying in June. Not completely made my mind up yet. She seems so little. Then, onwards to pick up more bugs bunny food seeing it appears to work in the bulge department. We are in for one of PATSYS rainy days.

Anne
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Awoke to no hot water, intermittent internet followed by a leisure centre closed to the public due to a school gala so no swimming. That's the 3 things out of the way hopefully! The busy heating engineer can't get here until Tuesday so I'll be asking my nice neighbours if I can use their shower. After having my head in a cupboard to see what might be happening to the immersion heater (as if I'd know!) and then boiling a kettle for hot water to wash I forgot to weigh myself so will do so tomorrow. I've decided £500 to repair 4 dining chairs is just too much and actually ridiculous so will do the job myself.... one day! There's a charming American video on You Tube showing every step and I can buy the required materials on ebay so it can't be too difficult can it?? Then there's still the top of my desk that needs the wax and water marks removed and a new coating of wax so Patsy you are not alone with your long list of priorities!! Having worked in social care for a few years I can promise you that many, many families lose contact, fall out, have issues, you name it so you're probably in a majority and the fact that you persevere to communicate with your daughter says a great deal about you as a caring person.

Lin ~ How frustrating your handyman not only didn't arrive but didn't let you know he wouldn't be coming. Standards and pride in work have gone out the window!!

Buzz ~ We have an accepted and usually polite agreement amongst drivers of our narrow lanes that because they aren't wide enough for central white lines we take the time to move into passing areas that are carved into hedgerows every few hundred meters if a car is coming towards us then we wave a thank you nicely and go on our way. If cars do collide there's a knock for knock clause in insurance policies that says no one driver is responsible so in a case like mine, although all the damage was done to my vehicle because matey didn't pause when he saw me and I was stationary there's nothing I can do about it.... life's rich tapestry!!

Anne ~ I know how you feel because it seemed such a pointless act but then I'm convinced these people are psychotic rather than hold any true religious belief.

I'm going to send this on before my internet cuts off again so wish everyone a better Friday than mine's turning out to be!!

Jackie
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I feel as if my head got shaved, but once I wash it to get rid of the tiny hairs and nudge my fingers through it to shape it, I will remind myself it will grow back if I so desire. Perhaps it will be summer by then, and I will just cut it really short! O well!
    JACKIE, I didn't know you were in social work; that explains your wisdom and understanding so well!
    ANNE, your frustration and anger are certainly understandable and we probably all share your feelings. What troubles me is that we don't separate the psychotic terrorists from the religion and I feel empathy for the innocent members who get swept into the same category. I see that being used as a hate weapon here, and worry about what it will lead to! I wish we had intelligent mature people willing to run for public office everywhere, and wonder if it would make a difference!
    <3 Buzz
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) Before going to sit with the boys I am going for a no chip manicure and then after sitting I am going to go see Babe's brother and his wife since they are on the way home.
    It is a beautiful day here with temps in the 70's so I think I will be outside with the boys.

Jackie, so you are saying that you can't make the driver of the other car responsible and make him pay for the damage? You would have to take half of the responsibility? I don't like that kind of insurance, it could get costly!! So now do you have to pay for repairing your own vehicle? Ouch!

Anne, it is heartbreaking whenever there is an act of terrorism, innocent people losing lives.
    When I was a little girl I used to dream I could fly to get away from all bad people, there must have been a message in there somewhere.

Buzz, my kids are all out of state but one. I am still lucky enough to fly to visit them when it is affordable. We do try to have a video call every Sunday, my oldest son never misses unless one of us is out of town. However, as you know I do not get to see Babe's son's daughter as they won't let me and I do miss her. It will be five years in July so I am not sure she even remembers me as she is only ten.

Lin, you must be out and about and having fun I hope!!

Marie, sorry about your computer, hope all is well with you. How is Missy?

I better get moving so I don't waste this whole day. Have a good one! And just because I think these are just too cute!!

n712ai71tqmx.jpg

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• CALIECAT
    Options
    Hello and good morning to all Went to my doctor yesterday s0 do not have to go back to see him again for 3 months So I musts be doing pretty good..

marie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello friends

Yes, I have been out and about on this odd weather day. It started out warm with some lovely sunshine and then overcast, rain, and now a bit colder as well. I am home to stay for the remainder of the day so I will change my clothes, make some hot tea and pour trough some magazines and books. I would like to do a jigsaw puzzle but my card making activities have taken over that space!! :D:D

Marie, good news from your doctor. Wahoo!! So happy to hear that.

Sandy, a manicure sounds like a lovely thing to do. I just looked at my hands and I have some icky looking nails and multiple ink stains on my hands, but I am happy with them anyway. Enjoy visiting with Babe's family. (Great photos of the boys too--thanks for sharing!!)

Anne, I hope you get all errands taken care of and take your time making a decision regarding Jilly. I find I need LOTS of time to think things over before proceeding on anything even moderately important or costly.

Jackie, what a day!!! My dear, I feel so sad for all the unhappy things that happened today. I sincerely hope that is the end of them!! Many states here have no fault insurance but I think our state may not be one of them. If you get a ticket or witnesses say you caused the accident, the other person is liable for the damages. But in any event, you are not allowed to leave the scene of an accident as if it did not happen. That would be lots of trouble for the person who behaved that way!!

Buzz, so you did get the haircut. I am certain it is lovely but as you said, if you decide it doesn't suit you it will indeed grow out fairly quickly.

I picked up my little craft project from the other day. I wish the project had been easier to do as I would like to make some more but it was too messy and the stuff she used to try to seal the lids to the rings really did not hold as we poured in the resin. I used glitter, sequins, little tiny buttons, beads, cheap jewelry charms and some misc. cut shapes. I like it. Now to decode, get some magnetic tape to apply to the back of it or attach some cork.

Take care everyone.

Hugs.

Lin

yu7vv9pwpu52.jpg
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Good news MARIE and
    Beautiful little kiddies SANDY.

You are so right BUZZ. The majority of people of all religions are absolutely nice normal people. I made many friends at work of varying backgrounds, Yashmin and Goli, Muslim. Marguerita and Maurice, Jewish, Anne (Avta) Sikh, Mary, southern India catholic, Hari, Hindu and so on. It is so very wrong when a few psychotic thugs brand us all in groups either as a religion or as a nation or as a colour. I feel very sorry indeed for anybody today dealing with prejudice because of the mental behaviour of a few. However, when it comes to world leaders I have great hopes for the British prime minister Mrs May who seems very level headed. I hope I'm right!

That's a very interesting dream SANDY.

Well, we buried our heads in the sand and had an enjoyable day just being us and letting the rest of the world go by. Jill had her nails clipped at the vets, we had roast chicken for lunch and a nice long walk once the drizzle departed. I'm putting my feet up right now and Jilly Bean is fast asleep. Peaceful!
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Hate to be vain....but I like this picture of my hair better. Leaving to go see boys now.
    a7lkf9z219xk.jpg
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Help with etting my days back . Lost my count with computorProblemzii have been having and ai did not save the link.. hope some one did.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Sandy I love your hair. looks great on you.
    Marie
  • linder4866
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Good evening, just a little note to say I will be helping with food preparation, serving and clean-up for the funeral lunch tomorrow at our church. Won't be here much and of course all the usual Sunday running about. Hugs.

Lin
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I remember during an art history class the teacher remarked that of course, art reflects accurately what is going on in any given culture, at any given time. We all sat there looking at slides of various primitive cave art going on through the ages. It then sort of hit us...most of the art at some point had battle scenes and war scenes of some kind. Even the really ancient cave art had some conflict depicted. So I guess human beings as well as most creatures have conflicts. It is a sad state that creatures cannot live in peace. Even insects have wars and conflicts. I have joked about wanting to be the first senior citizen Martian space dweller. Thereby avoiding the issues plaguing us here on earth.

Just noodling around here but before I forget...there was a beautiful PBS special called, A List Of Women. Wow! So beautiful and the interviews of the different women were amazing. If you get a chance...see it.

Thank you for the kind words of wisdom concerning my ongoing strangled connection with my daughter. It must be a textbook case of oedipal conflict. Oooooh my gosh!!!!!

More rain, spring break will be wet this year. No one will be running around in tiny bikinis and flip-flops. We have little fear of wild fires or out of control beach bonfires currently.
    Patsy
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Good morning fellow Sneakers!
    SANDY, I have decided that whether I wear the Anne whiskers long, medium or short I can never look like attractive you, so I might as well keep my hair long and carry on frightening small children as the witch of the street who has a small black dog rather than a large black cat, sigh.

And PATSY, not you me dear because I know you are a gentle soul, but whoever else lands on poor Mars will take the woes of mankind with them. That's a guarantee. Every living thing on this beautiful planet, even plants, battle for land, dominance, females or cash. It's the way we are programmed. Remember, the fittest survive. Another reason for me to go around looking like the witch of the north, no one will battle for me, lol.
    There is good news in having lots of rain. No creatures will die in forest fires and we won't go thirsty.
    Oh and I can think of lots of art that feature sunflowers etc for instance, and probably created by the gentle souls so there is a glimmer of hope.

It's supposed to rain here again today. Indeed we are promised a week of rain washing away the flotsam, leaves, twigs, garbage of winter and filling the Great Lakes with water. The birds are returning. It was so noisy yesterday with squawks, honks, twitters that Michael thinks the birds are competing with the manmade traffic honks, brakes squealing etc. Ah spring, the dangerous season when "hedges shoot". I have one lone crocus and one lone snowdrop so far.

Anne, peeping shyly out of her bushy hair, and no, you aren't getting a photo! Cheers gals.

• linder4866
    Options
    2334820kfgymdth9s.gif

Hugs!

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Options
    3108886giq25hbpr2.gif