Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,268 Member
    edited April 2017
    Happy Monday! :) The sun is shining but storms will be arriving later today. Being Monday of course I am washing clothes and later waiting for my cleaning girl. I had a good time with the boys yesterday and got lots of steps on my fitbit. I took Robby to the park and he is such a monkey on the park equipment. Max is laughing out loud so he really melted my heart.
    I helped them uncover their patio furniture and clean up against the protests of my son who said he didn't want to do yard work but in the end was happy we did. Today is a stay at home day because my age is creeping up on me after spending time with the boys. lol

Anne, aren't those days to yourself sometimes just wonderful? If you had a makeup lady and a stand in for your life, you would look just as glamorous as those "movie stars". No rushing to the potty for them, they just pause the movie unlike us who have to sometimes run.

Jackie,congratulations on your purchase and be sure to take pictures when bedroom is completed. I love seeing your English cottage and all that you do to make it comfy.

Buzz, my son said Edge is just not trustful enough and lots of spyware and virus's get through.
    He doesn't like Internet Explorer either so he has me using Chrome which I don't seem to have any problems. I am a little confused on what you mean about Comcast and your cell phone. Jitterbug is a cell phone not a land phone. You seem to be talking about TV and internet services but I might be wrong. I have comcast and although I hate paying the money, I think their internet service is the best.

Lin, it is very sad about the people killed in those attacks, our world just seems to get sadder every day. I too, love the Midwife and last night's episode was good as usual. How sweet of you to make Easter bags for the kids at church, you are an angel on earth.

Marie, I saw the picture of your beautiful family on Facebook. What a wonderful photo.
    Lots of doggies there, so cute. Was Missy there?

It is so wonderful to have the windows open and breathing fresh air. Life is good.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited April 2017
    My laptop seems to be behaving again so who knows what was going on.... never seen such slow typing!! I've collected my potty cupboard and it's now sitting outside with its door open in case of any not so nice smells inside although it does have more of a hint of musty old to my nose! Here's a picture from the auction catalogue.
    79mi03xhlsd6.jpg
    Wallpaper is bought for the bedroom to go up behind my bed and the rest will be painted once I decide on a colour but meanwhile on Wednesday I'm helping a friend paint her new bungalow she's moving into. It's what we call a social housing property that in the past would have been decorated by the local council but gone are the days now we live with austerity so a group of us are turning up with paint brushes, dogs and a picnic!!

Sandy ~ Sounds like you had a busy day yesterday so no wonder you need a rest. I did enjoy the last series of Call the Midwife and particularly because several issues that were brought up were going on when I was a child and I remember them, especially the Thalidomide drug scandal that still goes on today because the drugs company destroyed thousands of files on it!
    One episode in particular had me and all my friends discussing and admitting to lots of tears so have your hanky handy!

Anne ~ Hooray, finally you have some warm weather.... about time eh!! On the whole everyone is more cheerful when the sun shines although when I was parking my car in a space near the auction house and saw a white van reversing towards me I asked a man who was hopping from one foot to the other if he knew it was going for the same space as me he bit my head off with his shouted "Yeeees" so I told him to calm down since I was only asking and had to laugh out loud at his sour face!! Even a warm and sunny day won't cheer some people!

Lin ~ It seems whatever religion it is places of worship are prime targets today which makes the act as cowardly as the mindless mowing down of innocent people going about their lives. I did think of the American lady that used to post on here that lived in Egypt and hoped she is safe although I think she resided in Cairo? I'm not sure there's an answer to any of it while world leaders continue to posture and score points so I'll continue to bury my head in bags of seed compost that sit in my greenhouse.

Now in an effort to lose another pound in weight I'm going to make myself a nice veggie stir fry for my tea and hope my tummy doesn't start rumbling in hunger by 8pm!

Jackie

• jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited April 2017
    Nice bedside cupboard JACKIE

If anyone is interested I was watching Hunted, 8 episodes on Crave TV. It wasn't half bad. SANDY I guess a good TV thriller isn't exactly the right venue for showing life in the raw. Lol. It might make a change if they did, sort of Monty Python.

Well we've just had a surprise visit. Because Mike couldn't make it yesterday he drove over to see us before heading off to work at 12:00. Great excitement from Jilly. We headed for the park and she's now fast asleep exhausted. This means I'm in for a nice peaceful afternoon. Mike works from 1:00 - 9:00 at night and sometimes over.

I think the American lady who lived in Cairo bought a house somewhere in America, so maybe they are over here now? Meanwhile my youngest tells me he is to go on a business trip to Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. However this could be cancelled in favour of Argentina. Personally I don't know which is worse, I just wish he could stay home! When I worked, we had televised conference calls with other countries most of the time to avoid these thirteen hour flights etc.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,360 Member
    edited April 2017
    Hello, Phyllis is the lady you are speaking of and she has/had relatives in the U.S. I have seen posts from her from time to time. She still lives in Egypt to the best of my knowledge and travels to other Arab countries to visit grandchildren. They bought a house at the beach (in Egypt). Her grand children are lovely.

Love your new acquisition Jackie. Lovely! The painting party sounds like a good combo of fun and work. I would make a mess of it I am sure but I would lend a hand if I was there.

Anne, what a lovely surprise. Apparently Jilly enjoyed the visit even more than you? Haaaa.

Sandy, I hope you are able to spend a bit more time with Babe as long as it doesn't provoke more hostility from the children.

Buzz, I am on a Windows 10 but just use web mail service. It seems to work. I have AOL and GMail.

I finally finished uodating the iOS on most of my Apple devices. My goodness, it took forever on each device. Must have been a big update. I did my errands and got my haircut. He clipped my neck instead of my hair twice!!! Ouch! Then he laughed about how much I was bleeding. Not particularly cute.

Time to get my SUV in for service. Again, no one in the service department at Honda is answering phones so I finally gave up and caved to making an appointment online. Good grief. Confirm yourself and your vehicle, confirm your service advisor, select the exact services you want, finally select a day/time, review your order and finally place your order with the cost shown. Stupid web site kept saying I do not exist in their system but my phone number is there. Whatever. I have a confirmation number now. Once upon a time a 3 minute phone call took care of these things, now a stubborn web site ups the time to 10 or 15 minutes. Eeeck.

Need to make a list of what I need for the Easter bags. Sandy, did you make your craft? I notes Walgreens had bunny ears featured this week.

Buzz, you are probably on the mark, Easter is likely to be bloody as well but every day brings some sad news these days.

Marie, glad you had a good time with family. <3

Onward. Back to the list, the cleaning out of the frig (trash day tomorrow), Mah Jongg tomorrow and coloring in the afternoon. Need to be organized.

Hugs all.

Linda
  • Sandydur
    Here is my finished project, I am so happy they turned out so pretty!!
    ioojuhvn63m1.png
  • linder4866
    Oh Sandy!!! Beautiful!!!!! <3<3<3
  • jacean2017
    Lucky recipients SANDY! Now, would you consider mailing one to Canada? Oh no! I can't have one I'm on a diet!
    Anne
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Oh my, SANDY, they are gorgeous!
    <3 Buzz
  • jacean2017
    Hello, now can some master mind out there explain why yesterday when I jumped on the old wonky scales I weighed exactly the same as I did the week before. No problem. Great.

Yesterday, I walked all around the park, walked to get there, walked back, sat with Michael and on top of my usual 1200 cal diet I had a cup of sugar free black coffee, and two small, VERY small ginger biscuits with him.

Today when I had a quick leap on my old wonky scales I'd gained back the 2 lbs I've lost! Jilly hadn't got her paw on the scale being still asleep in her basket, my toe nails hadn't grown......WHY !!!!!!!

Maybe I just need new scales? A bit of rust added to the inside? All very disheartening. Do I face a future of no Easter eggs or a future of having to buy new clothes because I GIVE UP!

I'm taking the Bean for a walk to ponder this phenomenon.

Gloom and doom Anne.
  • linder4866
    Running late. Again.

Anne, the scales are apparently designed to cause depression. Eat well, exercise, enjoy life. Getting upset leads me to more eating. I hope that is not the case for you. The only lady I know who never gains any weight is very nervous, lives on coffee, and eats virtually nothing. A snack for her is two plain cherry tomatoes. Not a happy life.

Hugs.

Lin
  • jacean2017
    Thank you for the kind words LIN.

On our walk today, we met Duke a very large lab who had somehow got out, and almost got run over by a school bus when he ran across the road to greet Jilly. After much hammering on his front door, small girl appeared to rescue him with many thanks to us.

Then we met 7 moms, numerous babies and 7 six year olds waiting for another school bus. Much excitement from Jilly Bean and from the 7 six year olds who played with her. School bus arrives, children board, we continue walkies and bus passes us with 7 little heads hanging out the window yelling "bye bye Jilly Bean." Popular girl our Jilly! Then we meet elderly gent and elderly wife sitting on bench. Jilly rushes over to be petted with me hanging on to leash. Jilly covers elderly gent in wet kisses. "She kissed me" he exclaims, furtively rubbing his face with tissue. "You are luckier than me" I remark, not having had a kiss from a member of the opposite sex for ages! Sons and grands don't count!

Problem solved in weight. We get stopped too many times for our walk to be a REAL walk. I need a wide open empty moor, Jackie.

Resigned to her fate, Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Anne ~ Only problem with the walks on the wide open moors is us stopping to gasp at the view or if not, ponder which direction in the mist! The same is true in the woods where now the anemones are starting to fade the bluebells are appearing so of course we have to keep stopping to admire! The pound I lost is back on although my meals have been frugal so I think for me it's fluid retention and testing that theory I've drunk 3 cups of coffee and several glasses of water so far today and now the kettle has been boiled for my afternoon cuppa all of which is sunking to my hollow legs with no rush to the loo!!

Lin ~ That's a perfect description of a friend of mine who retains her weight and seems to scared to enjoy life. On the other hand my walking buddy who has lost something like 100 lbs still manages to slip in the occasional naughty dessert or glass of wine.

Sandy ~ How clever!! I love your Easter bunnies.... so colourful. :)

George is barking in the garden so I'd better head off and see what he's finding to grumble at.
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Happy Tuesday! :) I have a lunch "date" with Joe, my 92 year friend from the pool. He had a birthday last week but I am not sure if he was 92 or 93 which either way is impressive. I have decided to make two more bunnies for my two bingo friends, only because I think they are so cute. My Easter plans are complete with going to early 8:00 A.M. mass with Rob, Lisa and the boys and then going to Lisa's mom's house for breakfast/brunch. Lisa and Rob like to do things early so Lisa can get her nap. I will then meet with friends for Easter Dinner at Harry Cary's restaurant at 5:00. Busy day but hopefully I can get a nap in between events.

Jackie and Anne, don't feel bad, I rode the bike for 100 minutes yesterday, was under my calorie count and the scale went up a few ounces. Seriously? I must admit I have a low carb dessert I make that is so good I use extra whipped cream which is low in carbs and low is calories but I use a little too much on my mousse. I also have a glass of wine or two with my dinner, so I don't deprive myself of good food.
    Since I have started low carb I eat more healthy food than I was with eating those frozen processed healthy choice and smart one dinners. I eat real food now with salads and vegetables so I hope I am not like that lady who eats cherry tomatoes for a snack.
    Sometimes I think we eat too little and our bodies are fighting back, so a cheat day is probably in order in all of our lives. I think I will take mine Easter. lol

Anne, Jilly sure knows how to make new friends! Who wouldn't love her, she is as big as a minute and has a loving home which makes her a loving girl!!

Jackie, thanks I have to admit I really am happy how my bunnies turned out. What was George complaining about?

Lin, your philosophy on eating and exercising is right on point. Maybe it is better not to weigh ourselves so much and just enjoy life.

I would have been happy to mail you all an Easter Bunny but sorry not enough time.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    I got to see Kathy yesterday and she really looks bad. has blood her brain and in pretty bad pain.hope there will be good news tis week
    Marie
  • Sandydur
    CALIECAT wrote: »
    I got to see Kathy yesterday and she really looks bad. has blood her brain and in pretty bad pain.hope there will be good news tis week
    Marie

So sorry Marie, she will be in my prayers.
  • pinkperil
    4350olfnkzbo.jpg

Photo taken this morning towards the end of our walk when the dogs decided to pose for a picture!!

Sandy ~ George was barking at teenagers next door who stand up by the house and shout to their mother rather than go and find her, this time something to do with whatever food they wanted to take out of the freezer.... typical teens but then their parents do the same to each other so can't blame the kids for their learned behaviour!!

Jackie
  • jacean2017
    Another photo for my doggie album. The best of friends!
    Anne
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    JACKIE, that photo of 2 rambunctious pups posing their best pose is priceless! Loved all the posts today, and I'll never touch another cherry tomato, LIN! MARIE, hope Kathy and you all get wonderful news about her condition. So sorry for her pain and worry. SANDY, that is so sweet of you to meet with your friend. He is the age Mike was! I dreamed Mike visited me last night and it was so lovely! I hope he does it more often! ANNE, I think you and JACKIE should collaborate on writing books, stories, whatever you agree on, as you both present fascinating accounts of your adventures! By the way, on weight, I cannot account for the 2 pounds I lost today! I ate matzo last night, which is like eating lead (I love it buttered, though) and planned on not looking when I got on my scale today. Tonight, our culinary department is making a full seder for those of us who want to attend, and I will try to be very careful, because I'm ecstatic at the weight loss! Oh, and I got my hair properly shaped today, and this beautician cut my curl back, and I'm very pleased!
    rakbwtwzhahq.jpg
    <3 Buzz
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Buzz – Have you tried Melatonin to help you sleep? I do hope you can get some restful sleep. As an RN I have seen people gain upwards of 6 pounds overnight all in fluid! It is a difficult thing to balance your diet to decrease fluid retention. Do you rest with your feet elevated 4 – 6 inches above your heart 2-3x's /day. I know you are a very busy lady and are like the 'Energizer Bunny', but maybe settle into a good comfy recliner and watch a good movie, or even 'catnap' ! ;)
    Buzz, I use a Trac phone. I paid $99.00 for the 'smart' phone with a year's time and enough minutes of talk, text, and data that I usually have time to roll over each year. Now I purchase a 'card' that is tripled on all three (talk/text/data) each year, so, basically my phone costs $99./year which I think is reasonable, better than $30. - $60. /mo. By Tele. Co. or cable Co. I got it through HSN (I Think) or maybe QVC. They run specials on the smart Trac phones then you can get minute cards either through your phone or buy one in practically any store, Walmart/Target/ Rite-Aid (pharmacies), etc. With 'smart' phones you can: take pics., set alarms, keep a calendar, get online, scan food bar codes for MFP (I really like this feature!), GPS directions/maps, etc. Just a thought. B)

Jackie - Who are those silly people who buys starts early? Confession time, I am one of them being ever so eager for fresh home grown veggies. LOL! My Bay window is overflowing with my home starts. I was just contemplating cleaning up the back deck and putting up the small green house to house my seedlings, and a few I may buy, so I can put more starts in the Bay window.
    What a lovely spot with all those Anemones in the dabbled sunlight, very peaceful.
    WOW, sounds like you did a lot of outside work! Any good 'finds' at auction?

Anne - Raccoons are not my problem, but those pesky squirrels sure are! I believe I have a groundhog as well as I have a few holes around my property. AAArgh! Pardon my forgetfulness, but where are you Anne? What flour had a recall?
    Does Jilly like Rheilly? Are they good walking buddies?
    Sounds like you got some work done outside before you were driven in.
    Spring is finally showing itself. I noticed one crocus blooming and a few tulip and daffodil leaves just peeking through the ground this weekend. Can't wait!

Lin - Glad your facilities are are working. How do you like your Hybrid? I debated one a few years ago, but was not sure the energy savings would make up for the purchase price, at that time. Now I could not afford a hybrid. It was nice you got your service done and not have to worry about it.
    Lin, I doubt I do circles around you, you sound so busy, and doing interesting things.
    I was so busy and then tired that I missed 'Call of the Midwife' and 'Ann of Greene Gables'.
    How thoughtful of you to make bags for kids at your church.

Sandy – Sorry you are having 'tummy troubles' , hope you are feeling better now. Do you know what causes Babe's dizziness, it can be a horrible thing to contend with. The powers that be misdiagnosed my dizziness and balance issues as an ear problem in the beginning, so the P.T. and meds. did not help, once they figured out that was not the issue and started treating for the correct issues things are a little better. If his dizziness is ear related there are physical neck manipulations, eye exercises, and medications that can and do help many people. . Sorry, just seems the nurse in me just does not want to quit .!....LOL :-)
    Thank you for the vote of confidence, but as my Gram used to say, “ Use it or loose it!”, as she continued to knit/crochet with tears trickling down her cheeks from the arthritis pain. I do what I can when I can.; you know the old saying, 'make hay when the sun shines'.
    I am glad Babe made it Sunday and that you had a good day together. Low dose Valium can be helpful and allow for one to have a better quality of life and that is what counts.

Marie – Sounds like you had a lovely time at your brother's lake house. We usually have Ham with all the trimmings for Easter, but a burger sounds good. I bet the young ones, and the young at heart, enjoyed the egg hunt! Glad you had quality time with your family.

Well, So much to catch up on here,it has been a busy weekend for all. I will return later to finish catching up.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Sorry for being so long winded! I have not been in to check here over the weekend as it was a very busy weekend and I was wiped out Monday! In my earlier post I tried to catch up, but was not able so here I am to try to finish up.
    Saturday was My grand son's b-day party at the Trampoline park (will try post pic later ....not tech savvy so not sure). Helped chaperone. Dad (my son) took us to Taco bell before the party. Came home and helped him find a home for the things staying here (vs those going to "Momma's" ). He received a few new Lego sets, a couple very large ones, and now his Lego drawer is officially full ! He has 2 large drawers built in under his 'Mates bed', one is his “Lego” drawer. Then made English muffin pizzas for him for supper and bread pudding for dessert at his request.
    Sunday, his actual B-day, started out with home made chocolate chip pancakes for him and his Dad. I did more dishes, that was too tired to do Saturday. My niece came by with Grandson's bike and helmet, presents that we were hiding at my sister's. Spent time out doors with he and his father helping him to learn to ride without training wheels. Pulled a few dead weeds from front flower beds while out there with them. Lunch was leftovers. Helped my son put together new TV stand for my new 55” TV. I went grocery shopping. When I got back Dad took Logan out for a B-day supper. I put away groceries and rotated food by expiration dates in the pantry, snacked for supper, went to bed and read.

Buzz- We have cable Time Warner (now Spectrum) for internet and basic TV and no home phone service, only cell phones. I believe it is the equivalent to your Comcast, which we can not get up here. It was costing $38./month (plus fees) for the phone via cable on top of the tv/internet cost and was more expensive if went through Tele. Co. I figured $99/yr. was cheaper way to go.
    It is nice to see and hear young folks who enjoy jazz, folk, big band, blues, etc.

Jackie –
    How exciting to see the bunnies playing in the fields. Sounds like you got a deal on your pine cupboard, so glad. Awaiting pics when you get it in place and all set up.

Anne – Thank you for converting the temperatures. We too are supposed to get up to high 60's, maybe 70 F this week. They are forecasting 40's overnights with mainly high 50's and 60's during the days til Sunday. All the snow around my house has finally melted away! Maybe I will get out and get some yard and garden cleanup done in bits and pieces.
    Safe trip for your son,wherever he lands.
    A 2# toenail? !! WOW!! LOL! My feelings are life is to short to totally deprive yourself so indulge, just a little, then get back on track. I fit my little treats into my calorie count for the day, but occasionally do special treats that put me over (like I did when went to special seafood restaurant) then back on track next day.

Sandy –
    Aren't grands GRAND LOL! My son set me up with Mozilla Fire Fox vs Internet Explorer or other browser and we have no trouble with it. When it comes to internet we have very little choice up here, it is either Time Warner (Spectrum) cable or dial up which is way to slow (not to mention the cost for phone service)! Need to fix my front windows as they 'stick' and have to be pushed closed from outside. :/ I can not reach them to push. Believe I need new crank systems or replace whole Bay window. (not in the budget). Will open kitchen and bathroom windows though. It is lovely to air out and get good fresh air in the house.
    Your bunnies turned out very nice. B) Your recipients of these bunnies are so lucky and will feel so special.

Here I am wordy and long again! Going to get something to eat and read awhile. Everyone have a good night/day.

Mae