Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Phew, a hot day, not that I'm complaining and my furniture has arrived. The nicest two lads phoned to let me know they were on their way so I shut an indignant George in the kitchen so he didn't get under their feet. They asked if the track to my property would take a double decker bus so I told them we've had large trucks down here before so fingers crossed but better the driver reverses so he doesn't have to turn at the bottom because there could be cars parked there. The not so nice neighbours have allowed trees to overhang the track so it was a struggle for them to see much then when they got close enough and said they'd carry the furniture the rest of the way the 4th neighbour that overlooks the parking area came out to tell the driver to mind he didn't pull down the electric cables!! A wink from me and invitation to the delivery men to come through to my garden and see where they needed to go was enough to stop any further discussion thank goodness. Now special cleaning and creaming clothes have been wiped over the leather and George's blanket placed on one of the sofa seats plus of course Brady has found a way into the back where the reclining mechanics are.... no surprises there!

Anne ~ Your hair is looking very nice but I think it will look even nicer once washed and left to do its own thing! My hairdresser does much the same to mine so I can never wait to get under the shower! Hope you find something you like for your summer wardrobe.

Sandy ~ On the car radio yesterday someone was telling the story of a local farmer who set himself up with a herd of cattle but when it came to slaughter time he couldn't bear to think of them being killed because they had become his friends so sent them off to a farm animal shelter where the public visit with their kids. He's apparently now a vegetarian!!

Buzz ~ Lots of questions being asked about that high rise fire and now every similar building in the country that's been covered in plastic cladding is being inspected.... too late for so many unfortunately.

A sneaker was asking for a carpet shampooer recommendation but I would say one to NOT purchase is a VAX Dual Power as I did a few months ago. A litre of clean soapy water went out but only about a quarter of dirty water was drawn back into the canister so I have to ask where did the rest go?? The carpet looks a bit cleaner but I will need to go over it again.

Time to get a couple of jobs finished in the garden then I'm out to the allotment to meet my neighbour for our usual Friday evening potter with, of course, a cup of tea and chocolate biscuit!

Hello to everyone I missed today.
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,093 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) I have spent the whole morning trying to install a new version of Microsoft Office to get my Outlook to work with my email. Finally got it all working including my ICloud calendar. Our dinner last night was excellent although the drive was too long. Today I am going to the Racetrack with friends and another friend who is an agent for jockeys got us free box tickets. My friend from last night is buying my diamond so that gives me extra money, thank goodness with all these events happening this month.

I really have no time to write individual posts so have a wonderful day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,141 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Good evening - still at the library crafting away! Lots of folks here tonight.

Jackie, yippee!! You have your furniture. Lovely!

Anne, I hope you had a wonderful shopping day.

Hello Buzz, Sandy, Diane, Laura, Mae, Jeri, Marie and everyone else.

Best wishes all. <3<3

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This photo was me with short hair about 2 years ago. I have an appointment next Tuesday to either cut or make pretty so my kids don't worry! ANNE's cut is adorable!
    Today was one of those days when I either dropped, broke, or lost everything I touched, so I gave up and started researching toaster ovens small enough for my 12" counter and finally found an Oster that was good looking and sounded perfect so of course I started reading reviews from buyers. Lots of 5 star reviews and then I spotted a 1 star. Theirs exploded after 6 weeks and she cut her fingers on the broken glass! So that scared me and I wondered why that happened and would I dare try. Well, I'll research some more, I guess.
    Who said she likes my movies? Saw one tonight (thought I had seen it before, but I hadn't) that I wholeheartedly recommend; NO ONE SLEPT! It's from 2008 and don't know how I missed it..."Nights in Rodanthe" with Richard Gere and Diane Lane (and Viola Davis) and I hated for it to end! If you have ever been to the Outerbanks of North Carolina you will love it even more! I felt it combined so much I would see it again!
    JACKIE, I'd love to see a video of where that truck had to drive to reach you!!! And I'm hysterical reading your description of Brady and the reclining mechanism!!! I hope you don't want to use it at the same time! :D
    Like SANDY, I'm short of "personal comment" time, so forgive me while I rush off...
    <3 Buzz
    ...........................always believe something wonderful is about to happen..........................
  • jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Good morning! We had a scorcher yesterday and today promises to be nearly as bad. I didn't get much done in the way of shopping because we wilted when out and time was limited, Michael wanting to get his hair cut at his favourite barber shop, Victor, who's Italian and almost my age. I did find a pretty top on sale, socks on sale for later in the year, and a pair of shoes also on sale, two birthday cards, doggy treats and the groceries so didn't do bad at all on limited time.
    BUZZ my pudding cut is "growing" on me and it's so easy to wear, I think I'll give in and go short in the future. I really think it will suit you and we'll both go around looking like Mrs Thatcher look likes! I've had my toaster oven about 6 years now, much used and I am well pleased with it. It's a Hamilton Beach if you want to research it.
    JACKIE, I bet you had a wonderful evening relaxing in your new chair and surveying all your recent hard work and pretty results. Much deserved!
    LIN, busy as a bee as usual and doing what you thoroughly enjoy to give enjoyment to someone else.
    As for me, I'm off to wash my "pudding" and see what happens, because I can't "straighten" hair like Maria. Hope you are right about the result JACKIE!
    Have a lovely, and hopefully not too hot and thundery day, and don't forget "always believe something wonderful is about to happen".
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Another scorcher of a day by our standards so we had a really enjoyable stroll across the fields even though we noticed the cattle had been moved into the one that has the little stream running through the dogs love to play in. We decided it was better to keep walking and not risk being chased but on the way back we thought we saw the bull had moved from the shade of some trees into the middle where he could see us so although it was all uphill we stopped talking in order to save breath and get to the gate as fast as possible!! A change of scene tomorrow because we decided it's safer to stay away from Mr Bull and his harem so instead will walk on local downs.

Buzz ~ You have the sort of face that will take any style of hair and of course short means less fuss and attention but whatever you decide you'll still look gorgeous! When I was looking for a combination microwave I had a similar experience deciding on a make and read reviews where one I fancied had caught fire while another had blown the house electrics! Even the Panasonic I decided on had someone's single star review because it had stopped working within 6 weeks. It's the joys of the internet when we can now all comment on just about anything! I'll charge up my camera to shoot the track with its overhanging trees.... of course the not so pleasant neighbour may come along effing and jeffing at me but if it gets him noticing how his trees are behaving I don't mind!!

Lin ~ Still crafting at the library when by my time it was 2.30am so you must have been having a good time to stay into early evening.

Sandy ~ Outlook is the bane of my life now they've fiddled about with it and split my emails into what they assume are either important to me or not. If it wasn't such a task to change my email address to something else they would have lost me by now.

As it's so hot outside I'm going to put myself in the chicken run and scrub down the outside of their house in an effort to clean it off and then paint fresh wood preserver on it...... how exciting can one's life get??

Jackie
  • jacean2017
    edited June 2017
    Options
    P. S. to post above JACKIE.

Jackie was right BUZZ, washed, hair looks much less rigid, fluffier and more like me, and I can report I like it. Short from now on! ......Something wonderful happened!......
    Anne
  • jacean2017
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Me again. So I'm taking Jill for a really long walk and we'd just reached the only busy bit of cross road when my once broken ankle twisted in my old gardening shoes and me and the sidewalk met. I let go of the Beans leash in my descent to Mother Earth, but the little thing didn't run off she came and licked me! Two very kind Indian chaps leapt out of their car and had me upright again with just an aching ankle, a scraped elbow and hurt pride. There IS kind folk in the world and it was only last Sunday that Mike and I helped a 76 year old who'd got blown off his bike in a sudden wind gust. He was more injured, far more, than me. We called for an ambulance for him. He wasn't wearing a helmet and appeared concussed. What is it with all this elderly falling down, it's SUMMER! No ice! Anyway the gardening shoes are now in the garbage and I'm so glad I bought new shoes meant for walking yesterday!
    I'm now gone for the day!
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Oh Anne, I am so happy you didn't get seriously hurt, you didn't hit your head did you? What a sad story about the man who got blown off his bike, I hope he is okay. Good for you and Mike for being good Samaritans. I bet you will be sore later so try and take it easy today. Is the current picture with the washed look, it looks really good.

Happy Saturday! :) We had a great day at the track yesterday, the box seats were excellent. It was the first row, covered so out of the sun and even had a TV to see the horses closer. I didn't lose too much since I won one win, place and show and another just show. We went for dinner after so it was a long day. Weather permitting I will go to the pool for a little while today and if it rains just stay in until Mass time.

Jackie, how do the dogs react to the bull and cattle? I am glad you are changing your course, I wouldn't want anything to happen to you or the dogs. Don't forget the picture of the new furniture when making that video. I use gmail through outlook since it is easier access then gmail and syncs with my ICloud calendars.

Buzz, I think short hair looks good on you as does the longer hair, so whatever is easiest to manage is the way to go. I have had my hair short for so long I don't think I would have the patience to let it grow, although I sometimes I think it would be great to just pull it in a ponytail. I feel too old for that, thus the short hair.

Lin, you are keeping busy and I hope having fun.

Hello to everyone else, have a great day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• jacean2017
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Well here I am SANDY in fuzzy wuzzy mode on a fuzzy wuzzy day of humid heat. Oh and after washing. Anne
  • Sandydur
    Options
    jacean2017 wrote: »
    Well here I am SANDY in fuzzy wuzzy mode on a fuzzy wuzzy day of humid heat. Oh and after washing. Anne

Looks great, I like it!!! <3
  • delraybuzz
    edited June 2017
    Options
    SANDY, somehow I caught a glimpse of you at the track yesterday, I think it was Facebook, but I really can't figure that site out! I did see a whole group of friends that I "friended", but don't have the time right now to chat! I figured out how to call my son on message, since I received a call from him while on the phone with Mike's daughter but didn't recognize the number. Here it is almost noon and I'm still in my nightie! You haven't changed your appearance since we met; still gorgeous!
    ANNE, I gasped reading about your fall, as that can have serious results, so always wear supportive shoes! Then I beamed as you told about Jilly-baby, staying by your side to take care of you!!! I think you mentioned a Hamilton Beach toaster-oven, and I had just ordered one in red! I hesitated since it's not insulated and can get hot on the outside, but it will not be used for cooking or baking , and certainly not for grilling, so I stopped worrying! A little toasting or reheating leftovers is all I need and sometimes the microwave ruins things meant to remain crisp!
    JACKIE and bulls? Fuggedaboudit and walk elsewhere!
    I l really should go finish breakfast, since it's now lunchtime. Seems like another screwed up day!
    Hi LIN. I haven't forgotten you but I can't function without coffee! Luv ya, dear one.
    <3 Buzz
    ...........................always believe something wonderful is about to happen..........................
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello, oh my what a day. I never did get dressed today. I stupidly did not read the small print on some dried apples I purchased. The ingredients were fine but I did not see among the itty bitty print that they were manufactured in a plant that seems to handle just about all allergens. Wheat was way down the line and it didn't leap out at me. I had those for my snack last night. I am sure I will feel better in a day or two.

Anne, what terrible news. I am so sorry you took a fall but glad Jilly did not run away. I hope you are not feeling more sore and/or stiff as the day has progressed. Did your son come over to check on you today? Oh wait, he works on a Saturday doesn't he? Please take care. And your hair looks lovely to me. I think fluffy is better than straightened!

Buzz, I am the one who always is interested in the movies. I have put in a hold request for the movie at the library. It is not on Netflix. Another short haircut in our group. I have had shorter and shorter haircuts over the last several years. I like short hair now as I had to realize long hair is not in the cards for me. You will look marvelous with your new cut. I also hope you will be happy with your new toaster oven. I don't think there's much you can purchase these days that will not have some negative reviews.

Sandy, the day at the track sounds lovely. Did you get to the pool today?

Jackie, we of course are overly intrusive and are panting for photos of the lovely new furniture. Meanwhile I agree, stay clear of any and all bulls! I wouldn't want to outrun one!! Yes, I stayed late at the library although late was around 9pm. I sat next to a lady who was making lovely earrings. That was a surprise. She's never done that before. She said she was making them to sell but never did say where she was going to sell them. I don't have pierced ears so they weren't for me but so lovely!

Well, I'd best try to move along. A busy Sunday on tap once again.

Hello all absent Sneakers. Did Chris leave us as well? I cannot remember the last time Inheard from her. She's not on Facebook is she? Well, good nite. All best wishes sent along.

Hugs.

Lin

• pinkperil
    Options
    Our walk this morning took us across the parish downs but with a few trees to walk under in the heat so no breeze I found the midges more than a bit annoying. Back home with Scruff in tow while her mum meets friends for Sunday lunch at a pub on the coast... either a roast or fresh crab salad and as it's such a hot day again I know which I'd prefer!

Anne ~ That's certainly karma that you were helped by those two fellas after you and Mike had done the same for the bike rider but thank goodness you didn't need an ambulance. I hate to admit that sturdy shoes become more important as we get older when agility isn't so great because I sometimes totter about as if drunk and it's usually because I'm wearing the wrong shoes!!

Sandy ~ George takes little notice of cattle but is terrified of horses being ridden on the road because of the clip-clop sound. A couple of weeks ago a young girl riding her pony suddenly crossed the road and came straight at us and George slipped his collar and ran back home but thank goodness no car was coming round the corner otherwise he would have been killed for sure. Scruff on the other hand has a little too much Border Collie in her DNA and feels the need to run at all livestock and do her best to round them up barking at the same time.... not great when there's a huge bull in the same vicinity and the reason why we don't walk on the moors in the summer because there are many young lambs being born and too many irresponsible owners letting dogs run free that kill them!

She's currently round my feet dropping a rubber ball that she wants thrown in the garden while George constantly grumbles and woofs in the other room so I'd better get back to my dog sitting duties!

Hello to everyone else... have a lovely Sunday.
    Jackie
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Good morning girls! Thank you for your concern, much appreciated, but after resting the throbbing ankle all day and taking an Advil overnight I feel just about back to normal. I want to take Jilly out but the sky looks very threatening with warnings of lightning strikes and even the odd tornado to sweep us old dears head over heels. No bulls though! I don't think we have bulls roaming the streets. Anyway I'll give it a go because poor little Miss Jilly was confined to garden and house yesterday.

Oh boy LIN, I hope you are feeling better today.

JACKIE is in for quite the day as well looking after Scruff who sounds a larger version of The Bean.

Well. I will away, wearing sensible shoes. It would be very difficult toppling sideways, ankle level, in these shoes. It would be very difficult being swept away by a tornado in these earth clinging anchors which only leaves a lightning strike. I'm sure Mike would let you know if that occurs, so with that said presume I'm still being a nuisance to everybody until my next scintillating post.

Anne, clomping off.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️to all.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Sunday Morning! :) Just popping in to say hi and hope to be back later. I am going to Lisa's brother's twin girls Baptism and have to be there by 10:15. Enjoy your day and stay safe!!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Good evening, almost time for Season 3 of Grantchester. Yippee!! I am ready.

Nice Father's Day service at church today and many people brought old family photos. It was interesting to look at those. I talked to my co-conspirator for the combo bake sale/craft sale that we have in the fall in conjunction with the turkey dinner. I had a big idea of some note cards I could make to sell. I had run across some very great deals on the supplies I would need and knew what I had in mind. I had already cut a lot of the card stock and talked to a lady Friday evening about how to price the little bundles of cards. So all was going well until I spoke to this lady today. She doesn't think that we can sell the cards after the poor response we got to handmade items last year. We agreed I would make about 8 of the cards and we would talk again. If she says no, it is fine, I can use up the cards. I like to send cards!! If I had more addresses in this mostly electronic world, I definitely would be sending more cards. :D

Jackie, you have so much energy to look after an extra dog!! What a wonderful friend. Ick. Midges. That sounds horrible. We have mosquitos and gnats but today the weather was lovely with quite a stiff breeze so no bugs landing on us as we stood outdoors after church conversing.

Anne, did the strange weather pass you by without harm? I am glad you are back on your pegs. I am sure Jilly is thrilled that she can walk a bit again. Two thumbs up for sensible shoes.

Sandy, are you back from the celebration now? I hope you had a lovely day as well.

Time to get a cup of tea and ready to watch PBS.

Hugs.

Lin

P.S. I was up all day, did get dresses of course so am feeling much better. I guess the remainder of the dried apples in the bag will be tossed in the trash.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Still laughing; ANNE was that you I heard clomping by my building today? And in the midst of a heavy downpour? No? Well perhaps George found a way to swim over here. Anyway, I called all the fellas to wish them a happy father's day and had a nice chat and then went down for our buffet lunch, where I ate 1 too many pancakes and a bit of rare prim rib. They later had root beer floats, but vanilla ice cream does not attract me so I watched the ladies tackling a complex jig saw puzzle for a bit and then came upstairs to relax. Busy week ahead, but I can't get through my day without stopping by to peek at you all! By the way, everyone here agreed on loving Night in Rodanthe, so do try to see it. Now, maybe to sleep???
    <3 Buzz
    ..........................always believe something wonderful is about to happen..........................
  • jacean2017
    Options
    The strange weather did indeed pass by. Just a teeny sprinkle of rain which did no good at all! I didn't clump very far yesterday, resting my sore ankle, but I did clump out today with my faithful hound. Today, no humidity, a nice light breeze and reasonable temperatures.

Shoes! Have you noticed that as we "mature" all us older ladies are into laced up, sturdy, practical shoes in navy blue, or black or brown! well you can buy light blue or sand coloured, but not a strap or a thin elegant heel in sight amongst us older ladies! Nuns or headmistresses or matrons of hospital shoes. So sad, because today's fashions are very pretty and tempting. Of course one can always buy a pair of pretty jewel coloured sandals to wear whilst sitting on the sofa. However in today's society most folk leave their shoes at the front door for fear of dirtying light coloured carpets or scuffing oak floors. It would look rather odd I suppose to leave the clod hoppers at the front door and fumble with a pair of platforms to totter to the sofa in. Just an observation now that I'm noticing feet more!

Well this philosophical nonsense won't get Jilly's moulting coat swept up. I noticed grandson Derek furtively brushing his white tee shirt down after cuddling The Bean yesterday. Father's Day, a day to be spoilt and what was my Mark doing. Ripping up their staircase carpet for new. They popped by from having a break from the work, they said, but I think they were really checking up on dear old Mom after her tumble.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) We too, have cooler temps so my windows are open for some fresh air. Maybe some rain this afternoon but after I am done with laundry I will think about the pool if the sun is still shining. The Baptism was very nice although it was a mass so went over an hour. Not a Catholic Church but that means I still went to two masses this weekend.

Anne, I do wear sandals most of the summer but when I did walk Daisy I would always wear gym shoes, especially since she is so big and I needed traction. lol I do have a couple of pairs of summer heels with about 2 or 3 inch fat heels but hardly ever wear them. Much more comfortable in sandals, especially if I am going to be doing a lot of walking. I love the way your sons take care of you, you should be very proud of them.

Buzz, I searched for the movie and found it On Demand so have it scheduled for recording in July which was the earliest it was being played. Do you start your birthday week today or wait until after your birthday? Maybe both! lol

Lin, glad you are feeling better and yes pitch those apples! The celebration was lovely, their service much different than ours including a band which was very good. After we went to the twins house for some food and visiting.

Washer has stopped so better change loads. Have a great day!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time