Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    PS. Just a comment, but I think I'm getting warnings and I'm starting to take heed! Almost fell backwards down the basement steps today, and wearing sensible shoes. I appear to be getting unsteady on the old feet, despite them being large! Anyone else have this problem of falling down or almost? Circulation at fault? Etc.
    Anne.
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Good foggy morning to you all! Cool and misty today. I really hesitate to say it but it honestly feels like autumn right now. WHAT? We haven't had hardly any summer heat for me to whine about.

As far as feeling unsteady, well! I guess that is part of the aging process. Our strength and balance requires constant attention. My DR suggests I do the NHI exercises for balance and strength. Boring but it must be done. I think the swimming helps build muscles. I look so much like a wrinkled baby whale in a swimsuit I avoid that healthy exercise. Sadly...as ridiculous as it may seem, I often feel pressed for time to do the things I need to do, want to do and have to do. It takes me forever to do my household tasks.

Our labradoodle feels satisfied with two hard and fast games of fetch the ball for exercise. We have a fenced back yard that is about 1/4 acre. She runs like the wind and the yard clean up is pretty easy.
    During the day she is in and out of the French doors bringing in sticks to chew on, rocks to trip on and kill the vacuum cleaner. Katie s part of our fitness program. Pets are good for your health.

Word to the wise, anything that helps us stay safe, extra railings on the stairs, a cane if we are feeling tired and unsteady, minimum throw rugs, grab bars in the shower and bathroom, night lights etc. if we are "aging in place" it is important to prepare our living quarters.
    Be safe and wear clothing that makes you feel good.
    Patsy
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,120 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) The good news is I picked up my daughter and SIL from the airport yesterday and my granddaughter and her boyfriend were here when we got back home. The bad news is that it took close to two hours to get to the bar that I was meeting my cousin and even worse when I left to pick them up from airport I had a $100 parking ticket on my windshield. Bummer!! I didn't read the signs and there was no parking during rush hour. My cousin told me to park across the street from the bar but she did not know about the no rush hour parking. Now you know why I don't like Chicago!!

We went to the pool today except for my granddaughter and friend, they went to the Indiana Dunes for the day. My daughter and her husband just left to go have dinner at a friends.
    I am stuck at home because they are using my car. I will have to go to mass tomorrow morning before the BBQ at my ex SIL"s. I did not sleep well and maybe I can take a little nap while everyone is gone although I am not good at taking naps.

It is wonderful having them here and I do enjoy their company. Kelly is here until Wednesday and my daughter until Saturday. I know we will have a good time even though I will be exhausted when they leave.

Have a good one!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Sandydur
    Options
    1331022edglvmaoe6.gif
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,177 Member
    Options
    Me too!

2316316y3f857qwvh.gif

150!!!
  • jacean2017
    Options
    I don't know about Canada, but I feel about 150 today! Fireworks going off already, maybe because we had rain earlier and it looks as though it could rain again soon. Not stopping most folk though from having a good time at various celebrations. We don't often bother with flag flying, but I noticed loads of reds and whites outside people's houses today.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY CANADA
    Anne.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Jackie – Your lifetime mortgage sounds like what we can get here called a reverse mortgage where you can get equity from your home for improvements/up keep etc., but will not have a mortgage payment only you have to keep taxes and Insurance up and keep property cared for then they get the property when you sell or leave the home. I have thought about doing this but am not sure. Hope you get out from under their paper work soon.

Anne - Love your 'stories', hearing about the people you meet. I have balance issues and have fallen down my cellar stairs a couple times. My issue is 1) poor balance from lack of feeling in left foot status post stroke a few yrs ago and 2) from rapid drop in AP (Pulse) (from 80 to 130's down to 40s in blink of an eye) post concussion (Fall on ice) and I am much younger than you. I limit stairs as much as possible. At home I go down stairs backward , less chance of falling with hands on stair in front of me (old P.T. Trick!). Please be careful.
    Happy Canada day!

Patsy -Good advice about precautions to be taken to age in place.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, it did it again! I lost last part of my post.!

.....Sandy – OUCH! $100 ticket! Glad to hear everyone who traveled made it safely to your home. Enjoy your company. :-).

I did get out and planted a few more veggies today, but still have the herbs to get in. Hope all will grow well. I will just be late in harvesting but enjoying my 'goodies' later than everyone else. :-). My ex PT therapist (now my neighbor) came over with her 2 sons and nephew and helped weed whack and pull weeds from front and side flower beds. This place may look respectable again sometime with the help I have. I have missed doing my gardens and landscaping these past few yrs. and feel bad at how I was not able to afford help to keep it up. Thought my son should/would have helped more since he lived here :-( . … I received my light /electric bill for the 1st month after he left, it dropped from $185 to $47!!!!
    I do miss my grandson ,especially his hugs, and doing things together ie: TV, reading, games (board / card/ electronic and outdoor : ring toss/croquet) chalk drawing on driveway/making and flying paper airplanes, etc. and did I mention his cuddling and HUGS?! :-) Oh well, hope his father gets over things soon.
    I cooked up some ground turkey with peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, and spices, added a small amount of marinara and had over toast...it was yummy! I have enough for 2 more meals. The struggle with my weight continues. I gained weight while dealing with kidneys, but this week have lost 2 of the 9 lbs. I gained. YEAH!

Happy Canada Day! Hope everyone is enjoying this Holiday weekend (for those of us in N. America) and everyone stay happy and healthy. :-)

Mae
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions today on the art of keeping upright and I do thank you all. Since the fall 2 weeks ago, it appears to have weakened my left foot which had an ankle break a few years ago, because rather than tripping it sort of unexpectedly gives way. I think the going down the stairs backwards with hands on stair in front a very good tip MAE. About to try it. Unexpected bonus on the electricity bill for you! It's an ill wind indeed that doesn't do anyone any good!
    Anne
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good evening, I have enjoyed reading all the lovely posts today.

Mae, glad to see you are back. You have had so much to work through. Good for you--just as soon as you can manage it, you are back out there doing a bit of gardening. Good news on the power bill but I am sorry you miss your grandson so much. It sounds as if you had a lot of fun with him.

Anne, I hope some of the suggestions you've received will prove to be helpful. And hoping you stay upright. Our July 4th holiday is traditionally the biggest event for fireworks each year. Well, every evening we have been hearing blasts of fireworks. Apparently legalizing sales here in Iowa has driven to testing their purchases. Haaaaaa. Or maybe we are celebrating Canada day? Haaaaaaa.

Sandy, yipes, what an expensive ticket. I hope everyone pitched in to help pay the fine. That is unreasonable as far as I am concerned. Hope you got a nap! Enjoy the continuing days of the visit!!

Jackie, I have kept the idea of a reverse mortgage tucked in the back of my mind if I should ever need it. Here I am given to understand the going in costs are high and the percentage of overall value that they will loan is said to be low. On the plus side, I have no one I plan to leave the property to so no worries about having an estate at all. I hope you get through all the paperwork quickly.

Patsy, busy life indeed! Katie is living a wonderful life with you. Lucky dog. I never have enough time and energy to finish everything I'd like to do. I guess that is a good thing.

Buzz, I am sorry for yet another computer problem. Thank goodness for Dell. Are there many celebrations and special meals planned for the 4th of July Holiday at your complex?

Church tomorrow for me followed by that surprise birthday party. I don't plan to stay too long but we will see I guess.

Take care everyone. Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Concerned about ANNE's falling...in fact everyone who tends to fall.. So I'll share what I have learned living in a Lifetime Care Community. Beware of any kind of falls!!! Canes tend to cause eventual tripping, and I have found myself much safer using a walker, despite the connotation that they make us look older! I'd rather look whatever, than be mending from broken hips, arms, and heads that falling can cause. And we find once you have fallen more than twice, chances are it will continue. And it's dangerous. It helps somewhat to follow a balance routine regularly, but falling appears to be inherent in some people's
    makeup and not in others, so take heed and practice safety habits. When I stand at the sink. I try to stand as long as possible on one leg, then the other. I do at least 20 times standing and sitting without using arms to help. Always use railings on stairs. And Google Balance exercises to practice daily. I just can't emphasize enough how dangerous we find falling is, so don't take it lightly, and possibly consider a physical therapist or a YWCA or even a senior center with balance classes. What we have added here is Balance and Brain, as they find focus is often missing when we walk or do things that take our minds off where we are going!
    I was among those that always answered "I'm not ready yet" whenever there was talk of living in a place such as mine, but now I'm sorry we waited as long as we did. So much is offered, and we see younger and younger people moving in now, to take advantage of everything available. And there is the comfort in knowing we will have skillful care should we ever need it at no additional cost! Sorry, I didn't mean to preach, but I will add I have never fallen! And the thought of it scares me, but of course we all have an alarm on us for help, should we need it.
    It's delightful to read the posts, and I promised my DD to get to bed earlier tonight. I spent hours trying to add protection against the latest ransomeware to my computer. Instructions for installing did not include Windows 10, which is completely different from earlier versions. So I'm begging off once more from comments (except the falling problem) and wishing our friends north of the border a HAPPY CANADA DAY, and the rest of us a lovely weekend! And yes, LIN, the plans are many and fun and I'll join in on some but not all!
    <3 Buzz
    ...................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen.........................
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I just turned back a page to see what I had missed and OH YES INDEED, I shall be delighted to live long enough to see skirts lengthen, pant waistlines rise again to cover unwanted clefts and perhaps necklines rise to do the same? And will we ever return to where vests an jackets cover what is beneath them again?
    <3 Buzz
    ...................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen.........................
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Lovely post BUZZ, a lot of it helpful for me. Sticks worry me as regards tripping over them. My friend did that and broke her hip. I sometimes wonder if short sightedness isn't much help when out walking despite glasses. Short sightedness is great for reading, art, sewing etc, but not so good for viewing pavements.
    Canada day was a Great Celebration with fireworks shooting off until 2:30 this morning! Everyone appeared to have so much fun it makes one wonder if the party goers here will celebrate July 4th all over again! I received a visit from Mark and Mary Jo and two wonderful animated cards which surprised me no end and gave me much pleasure.
    I shall shut up about falls - well until the next one - realizing I'm a great big elderly baby after reading about everyone else's trials and tribulations for which I feel so sorry.
    Hope Sunday is wonderful for you all with no mishaps!
    Anne.
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Whoops, want to congratulate PATSY on her Sneakers start date, July 2014. Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) I have to make a meatball appetizer and go to Mass so just checking in to say hi. Congratulations on your 3 years Patsy!! Have a great day!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    A beautiful day nearly over so I'm just thinking about what to eat for my evening meal. This morning I walked George a couple of miles across the moors using the route we used to take when I first adopted him and he immediately remembered how he chased stones and played in large puddles. The friend I normally walk with went horse riding, something she thought she'd never get to do again but now she's lost over 100 lbs it seems anything is possible! Anne, she badly broke her ankle about 20 years ago and it still occasionally lets her down and collapses under her so I'm sure that's what's happening to you. Concentrating when we walk is so important but easier said than done I know because I often trip on the same small trunk of tree sticking out of the ground in the woods.... too busy nattering!

Mae ~ The lifetime mortgage I'm considering is a lump sum I can use for whatever I want although of course they do like the idea of home improvements for obvious reasons. The amount works out around 20% of the value of the property and Interest added annually at a fixed rate so according to the calculations even if I live another 17 years my estate will only owe 40% of today's value. I'll be dead, the house is sold by my executors and money owed payed back to the finance company but the remainder stays in my estate! Even if property prices crash they can never take ownership of it. The sort of mortgage you mentioned was stopped by regulators a few years ago concerned that too many people were losing their homes or couldn't move if needed so lots for you to consider for sure.

Lin ~ Like you I have no dependents so what's left will hopefully at least pay for my funeral without anyone getting annoyed!!! :)

Time to cook then a shower before relaxing. A surveyor is visiting tomorrow morning to value the property so I should probably be vacuuming and dusting but figure a spec of dirt won't devalue the place!!

Jackie
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! It is a great pleasure to be a sneaker!

Lost a long post, but most of it was drivel anyway. Cool sunny day today. I m listening to a recorded concert with our musician friend on the French horn. He did the arrangements and the conductor works with the Portland symphony. Lots of fun old patriotic songs, "Its a grand old flag" and "yankee doodle dandy" America the beautiful etc.
    Have a grand weekend and a bang-up 4th of July weekend.
    Patsy
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good evening, nice day today. The birthday party ended up NOT being a surprise. Ha. That was my first visit to an Elks club. Interesting. We learn something every day don't we.

Happy Sneaker-a- ersary Patsy!!

Jackie, yes, the same here, they cannot take your home no matter what as far as I know. They can only collect the principal and interest when you are ready to move out and sell. I know what you mean, just a bit to tidy up the ending expenses and all is well. I have a little life insurance benefit from my former employer that should pay most of that stuff. If not, maybe someone can scatter me in a forest under a lovely tree.

Anne, I have old injuries that flare up from time to time as well. After all that celebrating I hope you get some rest. The fireworks went on and on last evening. I imagine there will be several more evenings of the same unless it is pouring rain!! I hope your ankle mends up properly.

I was invited to a 4th of July party today so tomorrow will be another shopping day to have something to take along on Tuesday. Also a friend needs a ride to the eye doctor on Friday so will be doing that for her. She lives on the other side of town so drive over to pick her up, drive back over here close to where I live, take her home and then drive back to my side of town again. I will be in the car a lot that day.

I will look at the newspaper now. I am a bit behind.

Take care everyone.

Hugs.

Lin
  • linder4866
    Options
    Happy Birthday Jeri!!!
  • linder4866
    Options
    811757m92orvjgx3.gif