Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Interesting DocumentaryJACKIE. I'm not sure the chap discounting it is right. Amelia could have landed on the same island he is finding artefacts but she and Fred could also have been taken off it later by the Japanese. It was still peacetime for the USA and Japan. Her plane could have been searched, who knows what might have been found, maybe innocent but maybe also incriminating to suspicious minds, cameras etc, and of course the plane could also be used as a blueprint for the Japs own future planes. Also if Amelia and Fred had been stuck on the island for a while before being found they would have needed fresh clothes not of their own choosing and Amelia's hair would have grown a bit.

I know, I know I read too many mystery novels!

However, whilst also disliking the capture by the Japanese theory, it would be interesting to get it all cleared up in my nosy lifetime.

Another fall! We are all falling down! Glad you didn't hurt yourself MARIE. I believe a bullet is a small grinder of foodstuff for one?

Well this Sherlock had better go peering for dog hairs and chewed dog biscuits. In other words get the Dyson out.
    Bye,
    Anne.
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hellooooooo! Today the guys will be here in a few minutes to put up the new gutters. Yea! That will be wonderful especially this winter during our constant rainy season. The day is sunny but not too cold so it will be nice working conditions for the workmen up on the roof.

I confess to being absolutely inthralled by Amelia Earhart. She was such a beauty and I loved her self confidence and her feminist activities. I feel certain her end was not a good one. I don't think we even have any idea how brave and amazing she was.

Squirrels have been eating the insulation in the hood of our car. I love to see the little Rodents but they can be so destructive. We are looking into rodent repellent now. All the mythical solutions...mint, Irish spring soap, scented dryer sheets, etc have not worked. John is mad as an old wet hen! "I want those varmints to stay away from my car!!!"

I also have balance issues. Falling is one of my greatest fears. I know a couple of the meds I take are partially to blame. The exercises help but even that can be a problem. Our son is constantly nagging us about staying on top of our strength building exercises. Lifting light weights and core muscle exercises. I have given up tub baths. We are total shower bathers now at our son's insistence. Our shower even has grab bars in the shower. The point is, we must take what ever precautions seem right for us.

Enjoy all those fresh veggies and fruits. We don't have an eatable garden but the local produce is wonderful. Keeping deer, rabbits, raccoons, rats, mice, elk and crows out of a garden is just too daunting to contemplate. We purchase the local farm raised produce instead.
    Patsy

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,127 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) Home Alone!! <3 I took my daughter and SIL to the airport this morning and now I am catching up on laundry, their sheets, blankets and towels. My A/C is fixed but it is such a beautiful day I have the windows open. I am going to go to 5:00 Mass today so I can just chill out all day tomorrow. It was wonderful having them here and they are easy guests but I must admit my SIL occasionally gets on my nerves. I have learned to let it go but as an example: I called Babe yesterday and asked if we could stop by for them to say hello. He said Carl (my SIL) is already here. Carl took it upon himself to just go there without a phone call. He said either he would let me in or just not answer the door. Well Babe never would have thought he would come unannounced so he probably thought it was his son or DIL. It worked out okay as I asked Babe to give him another fan until this morning so we could each have a fan in our bedrooms. Remember Babe is not very social and his dizziness is worse the last couple of days, so I am sure he wasn't thrilled with that visit. I will talk to Babe later to see how he felt about the whole thing.

My landlady came to be here when the repairman came, so it was an interesting morning. She makes me nervous even though she is a great landlady.

Glad to be with the sneakers and hope my weight has not gone up from extra eating.
    Have a good day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    How did I miss Marie's post last night? So sorry, but very concerned about your balance, dear li'l sis! How did you happen to land in the tub fully dressed? Were you doing something nearby, or did you turn suddenly? Thank goodness you are alright physically. Are you using a walker? I now use my 4 wheel walker inside my apartment, even when I think I don't need it.The last week, four friends landed up in nursing due to breaking bones after falling. One was showering in preparation for a Mississippi cruise, for which she would have been picked up within 2 hours! What a pain and disappointment (and expense of the lost cruise!). Perhaps I'm being too cautious, but I realize my lack of sleep is affecting my perception. Just as well I gave up the car! I did get to bed at a somewhat reasonable hour last night, but after lyng there for hours, wide awake, I got up at 5 AM, had a yogurt, blueberry and delicious mango breakfast, did a wash, got over to my couch and into my compression boots and watched reports of the Putin/Trump meeting on TV. I suspect I dozed off, since suddenly I was watching something about forest animals, including huge snakes! Nightmares! I think I should probably see my neurologist about adjusting the Restless Leg Syndrome medication, as it does interfere with sleep!
    Please forgive my for not doing individual comments for a bit, as my concentration somehow is not what it used to be. It'll improve; I just have to get some responsibilities out of the way here, and am hunting bills suddenly showing up for Mike, which I'm sure I paid. It seems like a long process. Thank you all for listening!
    <3 Buzz
    ..............Always believe something wonderful is about to happen................
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Jackie - I still have to check out the details of a reverse mortgage and shop around to see what fits my needs best. I hope to get enough to pay off the balance of original loan and a little more to finish fixing the place up. If I do not have to pay any loan back currently ,or if I can lower the amount I pay, it will be a big help. I do not qualify for a regular equity loan or remortgage due to my income. Since my son has treated me the way he has and has not shown any interest in helping to keep the property up, I feel I should not worry about leaving him the property. By the time I sell or go to a “home” I figure the principal and interest will be more than the place is worth. Time will tell … whatever I can work out. :/

Anne – have you tried going down stairs backward yet?
    I spent several hours 2 days this week in my gardens. I started about 2:30 – 3 pm and did not realize the time til after 7:30 pm each day. One day was flower beds, 2nd day was veggies. A3rd day I spent 2 1/2 hrs. in the 'pantry garden'. I bet you are probably near harvesting some goodies from your containers. Wow! You amaze me...mowing your own lawn! More power to you!
    Hope all goes well with your sons trip to Portugal.

Jeri- belated birthday wishes, glad you enjoyed your day with the grands!
    Enjoy your camping.

Buzz -I always seem to end up with more than what is on my shopping list. I am trying to curb that as I tighten the proverbial belt.
    Your “exercises” video was awesome! I could just picture any of us doing that ...LOL
    I understand your sleep disturbance issues, sleep and rest when your body allows.

Patsy - I hear you about having to let somethings slide in favor of doing others. My property has been neglected since Dec. 2013 when I fell on the ice and had a major concussion. It has just been these past few months that I have been able to do much. The neglect for the past 3 yrs has lead to a lot of work! I was out of work with no income from Feb 2014 til Jan. this yr. when Soc Sec. kicked in. I turned in my IRA/401K to keep bills paid those 3 yrs. I have been using what little savings I have left to help fix things up: gutter repairs, basement wall lg. Crack repair with new sump pump and drainage system, extremely lg diseased Maple removed, fence repaired/pressure washed and soon to be weather-proofed, deck still needs cleaning and weather-proofing....on & on! My gardens are work, but enjoyment as well. I get lost in “playing” in the dirt. I sit on the ground here at home and scoot along doing my gardens at home (I am sure my neighbors get a good laugh!) and sit on my walker at the 'pantry garden'.

Lin – Sounds like you are as busy as ever. I agree with the cold drinks as it has been muggy here. I intake approximately 120 ounces of fluids/day usually H2o with some sugar free popsicles. You are such a good friend; helping those with memory issues can be frustrating.
    The V. Thompson book sound interesting. I just read “Songs of Willow Frost “ by Jamie Ford , a real emotional/tearjerker, great book!

Sandy – Hope you have a fan while the A/C is out of commission. I know you have enjoyed your company but will enjoy getting back to your routine.

Marie– Glad you did not get hurt when you fell. Do you have : 1) non-skid rug beside tub 2)non-skid bath mat in tub covering entire bottom of tub 3) grab bars in tub? Just a few safety things to help prevent falls. :)
    Your broccoli salad sounds yummy!

Well, I enjoyed the 4th with family friends. I made a lg. crock pot full of sweet and sour meatballs, short cake biscuits and took an angel food cake with strawberries and cream to the BBQ. The kids played with glow sticks of various shapes and sizes and we all watched the fire works... a great time out visiting! My son and grandson were not there this year, I missed them! :'(
    I have: cooked a lg. casserole of scalloped potatoes, 2# ground turkey and 2 pork steaks before they spoiled, did 2 tubs laundry yet to be put away ( going up/down stairs especially with anything in my hands is still difficult), and cleaned the bathroom. The kitchen/dishes, floors etc. and living room will have to wait for another day. I did rinse the dishes just need to load dishwasher and hand wash lg. pieces.
    It is so muggy the sweat is just pouring down my face/back. Going to go water the garden and turn the hose on myself to cool off.

Stay healthy/happy and safe Sneakers.
    Mae
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Yes MAE I am going down the stairs backwards and it is a huge help. I chuck the laundry down the stairs before performing this feat and pick it up when I reach the bottom. Great tip for which I thank you. Crawling back up on all fours helps too!

I'm amazed at the gardening you accomplish. You seem to have much more ground to cover than me. I think I'll be able to harvest at the end of this month and can't wait to get my teeth into my favourite vegetable, beetroot.

Son and family fly off in 3 hours time. I will miss them, but also I think it will be a most interesting trip for them and I would love to visit Lisbon and the countryside. They will be gone for 11 days and when they get back, Mark has a CT scan lined up.

So, with them not popping in today and three of my close neighbours also taking off yesterday on exotic trips it's been rather a quiet day for Jilly Bean and me. In fact the whole street is unnaturally quiet. Got a lot accomplished though, and it being big garbage day, that is throw out your rubbish, sofas, old toasters etc as well as garden refuse, normal bin and recycle bin one day late because of Mondays holiday, I was a little helpful soul and put everyone's bins to the back of their properties so as not to give anyone with a criminal turn of mind any ideas of people being away.

There, don't I lead an exciting life. No doubt my eldest will show up tomorrow to liven me and The Bean up.
    Anne
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,185 Member
    Options
    Good evening. I have spent the entire day with my cards and Inks etc. I worked at the library, and talked of course, until it was time to come home and then I unpacked my supplies and got back to work. A few things completed, several more partially completed and more started. I know, it doesn't sound like much but really, I feel I did get quite a bit accomplished. And it was so much fun!

Time to pack up for tonight. I need to get to the grocery store early tomorrow morning and then off to church. Sorry I did not get to commenting on everyone's posts. I have enjoyed reading everything.

Best wishes and hugs.

Lin
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Happy Sunday Sneakers!
    Mark and family just checked into their Lisbon hotel.
    Michael just waking up in his condo.
    I'm taking Jilly for a long walk.
    Before Roy in England phones his weekly phone call.
    Alls well in my little world!
    Hope alls well in yours.
    Anne and The Bean.
  • Sandydur
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Went to mass yesterday and stopped in to see Babe and Daisy. Babe was happy I did he was feeling lonely. This disease has him very depressed, I feel bad for him. I got a good night's sleep, paid my bills and have the rest of the day free. It is beautiful out so I think I will make it a pool day.

Marie, it was wonderful to see your post but sad to read you fell down. I hope you are okay and not all bruised. Are you still moving in with Alice?

Anne, all is well in my end of the world as well, life is good!!

Lin, you have been busy as usual and a great friend. It is so nice of you to take your friend to the doctor even when she confused the whole issue.

Mae, you amaze me with all that you do with your health issues. It is sad that your son has distanced both himself and your grandson from your life. Life is too short!! Yes, we did have two big fans when the air went out and the temperature dropped a little to make it comfortable.

Buzz, I do wish you would just take one day at a time to get things done and get a good night's sleep each day. Such a sad thing to happen to the lady who fell and can't make the cruise. I am happy to hear you use your walker.

Patsy, new gutters, are they the ones that keep dirt and leaves out? A critter once built a nest in my granddaughter's car engine and chewed the wires. It was an expensive fix for which we couldn't make the critter pay.

Jackie, I am enjoying the peace and quiet in being alone. My SIL never stops talking. LOL There as a post on our neighborhood website about bumble bees that made me think of you.
    Someone was concerned about bumble bees building a nest in her garage wall. The other person told them:
    Are you sure they are bumble bees? They do not live in a hive. They live in the ground.
    Bumble bees are social insects which live in nests or colonies. Typically, only inseminated queens overwinter and do so underground. During the spring, bumble bee queens select a suitable subterranean cavity or surface grass clump as a nesting site and lays eggs.
    As far as I know, they do not sting. We have had bumble bees under our concrete step for 20 years. Never an issue. We like them!

Is it true bumble bees don't sting? They scare the crap out of me!! lol

Have a wonderful Sunday and glad to be back full time with the group.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Phew, it's warm and muggy here but I'm not complaining, just slow at whatever I'm doing. After the usual doggie walk I went to the allotment with my neighbours to do an hour's tidying then home for a light lunch (well a bacon sandwich so not really light!! :D ). I'm now doing more gardening but just stopped to make myself a refreshing cuppa.

Sandy ~ No bumble bees don't sting but get about their own business and each summer home is more like rented accommodation to raise babies then the queen moves on to find a warm hiding place through the winter. Her next rented home will be somewhere different so definitely no need for anyone to panic. Last year I had bumble bees in a bird house perched on a window sill and also another bird house high on the wall and loved to see them buzzing about. It's lovely to have you back with us full time too!

Mae ~ Have you mentioned how old your grandson is because I'm always convinced when these family fall outs affect children they often remember the good times when old enough to make their own decisions so I'd say from the wonderful relationship you had with him he will come looking for you asap! Gardens are wonderful places to lose our thoughts in aren't they and like you I'm often surprised at just how long a planned 'couple of hours' turn into most of the day! Lots of research about lifetime mortgages was done on the internet by me but I think I'm in a better position than you because I don't owe anything on the property so the lender knows it won't be taking on any debts of mine and the cottage will certainly pay back the loan plus interest. I do hope you find a package that suits you, takes the financial pressure off and in this instance I would say yes, look after yourself first. ;)

Patsy ~ I thought I was relatively fit until I began yoga and realised what I couldn't do! After exercising I always feel better so just have to keep reminding myself of the benefits. I dread to think how unfit I would be if I hadn't adopted George so walk at least one hour first thing because when I get out of bed in the morning I have to stand about 12" away from the wall then lean in to press my bottom and back against it in order to straighten up then totter about until we walk. Once home again I'm normal, whatever that is! Hope your gutters are fixed so every now and then you stroll past and smile up at them!!

Anne ~ LOL you will have to make the next documentary about Amelia Earhart because you have the mystery solved! Funny how we think such events to be romantic when perhaps in this instance that's the last thing it was. Good to read your family arrived safely in Portugal and are perhaps right now enjoying a local wine as the sun begins its descent to the west.

Lin ~ That sounds like the perfect day for you and so glad you enjoyed yourself.

Well, that kettle should have been put on half an hour ago and I must also continue a hunt for lost house and car keys on a fob. I thought I had them with me when we went to the allotment but it seems they have vanished into thin air. Even the bin chicken feed is kept in has been checked in case I did something absent minded.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.
    Jackie

• jacean2017
    Options
    JACKIE and MAE. Decided to dig up some potatoes because of foliage dying back. From just 3 plants grown from 3 sprouting store veggie, a whole mixing bowl of spuds from very large, to medium and some babies for my salad tonight. Well worth growing in one container with a few carrots. Carrots still growing but coming on nicely judging by the couple that got accidentally dug up.
    The onions are thickening in their stems as well, so should get a few soon for salads and thinning.
    Anne.
    PS. Amelia Earhart is on the history channel tonight at 9pm our time if anyone other than me is interested.
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Yea! The gutters are done and really, the guys did such a great job. It was 68 degrees and sunny. On the roof it must have been in the 90s. Those guys looked absolutely boiled. They also installed a foam sort of thing that lets water flow but keeps out leaves etc. wonderful. Young guys from the neighborhood that work hard at a reasonable rate and give good measure. We will recommend when ever we can.

We must groom and trim Katie today or tomorrow. She sprouts great clumps of hair over night.

Anne: I did hear about the history channel documentary on Amelia. I will try to record it. I know that I will be fussing around with dishes, exercises, and my usual stuff. John likes a regular dinner where we sit at the table with a napkin and place sitting on a placemat. It is his mother's fault. She never introduced him to fast food, TV dining or a sandwich on the run. My family lived on a ranch. We were like hungry wolves roaming about eating as we worked.

Mae: it is so scary to decide about the disposal of our home. I guess I would be calling very financial expert I could find. I would even try to call Dave Ramsey, the guy n the radio or that lady who gives advice on the TV. You are doing good, however. Reading the contracts, talking to financial people before making a decision. I wonder if aarp has an advice service of any kind? As you can see, I am clueless and uninformed.

Jackie: I thought I have heard about someone accidentally running over a bumble bee hive with the lawn mower and being stung multiple times. They scare me. I stay well away from them. They go after a particular ground cover flowering bush. I tell them...okay, these are yours just don't sting me.

The day begins and ends with some sort therapy for my aging and arthritic body. It sort of works but there are days when my motor just barely starts. I do have an in-house cheer leader. John is like an old cranky drill sergeant. "Okay Privet Patsy! Let's see some sweat! Let's move those chubby legs!" He is a great guy, a keeper, as they say.

Keep safe, stay strong,
    Patsy
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good evening, after church, I got home, had my lunch and fell back to working on a couple of cards that were partially finished. I now have one finished that I want to send to a particular person who is not doing well. It is the lady who needs the complex surgery which is still two weeks away. Her pain medication is not working.

Well this evening I have a conflict---Grantchester or the History Channel? I want to see both!! I don't think my eyes work independently. :D

Mae, I hope you do find expert counsel in deciding what to do regarding your home. I find all that you do just amazing given all the health issues you've had to face.

Patsy, the new gutters sound very good. We have a company here called gutter toppers and they out something on them so that leaves etc. do not accumulate in them so no cleaning is necessary. They sound marvelous.

Anne, Yippee!! Potatoes. Well done. I dub you Master Gardener! I hope the spuds are tasty. Now don't let the bunnies eat up the lovely carrots.

Jackie, did you find your keys? Makes me crazy to misplace things. I will hunt and hunt until I find the missing item or give up in disgust!

Sandy, I am glad you got a visit with Babe and Daisy. I am sure he does get lonely since he does not feel well and stays home a lot.

Buzz, blood thinners are so dangerous. I am sorry about your friend's mishap. I hope things are back on track again today.

Well, I went over the arrange,nets for taking my friend to her appointment tomorrow a few times with her this morning. I must pray she is able to retain a bit of it and will not be surprised to see me at her door tomorrow.

Hugs everyone.

Lin
  • jacean2017
    Options
    No conflict for me LIN, despite being advertised, Amelia isn't on the history channel. Back to Grantchester!
    Anne.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hello All,

Back from camping and we had such a great time. Mel and 6 of her kids came out to see us. They roasted hot dogs and made S'Mores. We went on a great walk and they played frisbee with Ed.

Then yesterday Melanie and Melissa hosted a BBQ BD party for me at Mel's. That was fun too and we played bocce ball with some of the kids. I got a bunch of hand made birthday cards that I loved. Life is sooo good.

Ed and I had a great time taking pictures of flowers on a couple of our hikes when we were camping. We both enjoy that so much.

The campground is in the foothills and the area is so nice.

qxlcl9jxcji7.jpg

Have a great evening,

Jeri

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    What was a potentially difficult day turned into a very warm, a very loving day when Mike's eldest daughter and husband picked me up to take me to the cemetery to see grandson's burial section. We had a couple of pretty philosophical discussions, did a lot of hugging, and they took me to lunch at a restaurant Mike and I called our favorite! I followed her order and it was fabulous shrimp Francaise on a bed of shredded vegetables, and there was enough so I could bring the leftovers home for supper. Got back in time to attend a movie called "The Zookeeper's Wife" ...a very sad i movie concerning the Warsaw Ghetto and the horrors of WW2! Based on a true history.
    Sorry, I fell asleep and just woke up to a blank laptop. It had shut itself down. Problems logging back on, but finally came back to this page, and my "Reply" was sitting here, waiting to be posted! Talk about miracles!
    <3 Buzz

.............Always believe something wonderful is about to happen................

• jacean2017
    Options
    Nothing on the history channel, so back to the dishy Sidney, vicar of Grantchester.
    Now why was the programme not shown despite advertisement? Too sensitive, or just a mistake. We will never know.
    Meanwhile this was on my pretty July calendar under a misty lane and farm track.

"There is enchantment right in front of you, waiting for you to notice". Janet Luhrs.

So true, as I found out when I dug up the dying potato plants. Pure gold!

However.......Harry next door is surveying his piles of logs! Is he thinking of sawing them? Jilly is doing her best to dissuade him by having a good old yap.

Mike phoned to say he is dropping by before he goes to work at 1:00. Apparently he is very proud of a salad he's made and wants to share. He didn't come over yesterday because he saw an old friend. Leftovers? We, Jill and I, love to see him so long as he ignores the washing hung up to dry!
    Happy Monday wash day,
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Good morning

Jeri, lovely trip! Thanks for the photo. I am so glad you did get out there to enjoy the beautiful scenery and your new camping rig! And another birthday celebration. <3

Buzz, I am glad you had the time with Mike's daughter and husband. And that you were able to have some meaningful discussion. I hope you are catching up on your sleep this morning!

Anne, the History Channel here did have the program as advertised and in fact it was rebroadcast around midnight or one am I believe. My problem was a wonky Internet connection so I watched hunky Sidney and then switched over to the Roku again and had the option to start the program over from the beginning. I was able so watch some of it. What I saw was intriguing but what I saw for the most part were commercials and teasers for what was to come next. It was not worth the hassle!

Glad for the spuds and happy for the coming visit by Mike bearing leftovers. My favorite: Leftovers!

Time to pack up for the day. Keep your fingers crossed that my friend is home and will answer the door.

Hugs.

Lin
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Thanks for the info LIN. I didn't know the program had been rescheduled but it appears I didn't miss much. I left Sidney and his amorous adventures and went to bed at 10pm. When I looked in at 9 pm as was advertised nothing but a bunch of overweight guys peering at junk I think.
    Anyway I was so disappointed I cancelled the history channel this morning, thus saving myself $7! monthly. Every little helps in the elderly quest for survival!
    "What else can we interest you in", said the nice young thing on the other end of the line, "some programmes offered are only $3 to $7". I said no thanks to this generous offer by the cable company, and explained I was a doddery old octogenarian on a fixed income at which point she lost interest in me, lol. It has its advantages!
    Anne
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) We had some rain during the night and more expected for the next few days. I am glad I got my pool day in yesterday. B) Laundry day and my appointment for a hair cut was changed from Thursday to today. She had a cancellation so she will come to my house from her day job after work. I really need a haircut so was happy for the change.

Anne and Lin, I recorded Amelia Earhart on the history channel and will watch it later and give my opinion. I hate that we have to pay to watch TV, but I will admit I could not do without.
    I love that your sons drop by to see you often, you raised some fine young men. Maybe if Jilly continues to bark at your neighbor if he starts sawing he will get annoyed and stop. lol

Lin, I do hope your friend was ready and waiting when you got there to take her to the doctor.

Buzz, sounds like you had a nice day with Mike's daughter and her husband. It is wonderful they are keeping in touch with you. I couldn't even imagine Babe's kids doing anything like that even if Babe and I were still together.

Jeri, beautiful pictures as well as those on Facebook. I think you are loving your new camper.

Patsy, John sounds like your ideal mate!! You have a great way of writing which is why you write books and I read them. lol

Jackie, hope all is well on your side of the pond.

Have a great day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time