Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,133 Member
    Options
    m3gcvv9a7znv.jpg
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Up early to see a sunny day and get exercises out of the way. Thank you all for the birthday wishes. I always have such a strange feeling on my birthday. It is lovely for friends and family to remember me on my birthday. I am truely grateful for you all. The advancing number seems unreal and I don't understand how this happens. I think my brain hasn't changed too much but the body, skin, energy and strength ooooooooooooohh baby! Those areas took a hit! Still! I have so much to be grateful for, I am delighted each day to share a bit of time with you. We always have three candles on birthday cakes for family adults. One for the past, one for the present and for the future. The sneakers are involved with each candle. Thank you again.
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Anne ~ Didn't you feel the tennis was an anti climax as poor Marin Cilic seemed to lose his nerve! Never mind, Federer deserves that record. The poem is called Nelly Gray or The Faithless Nelly Gray and is rather long so I found it on google and copied the link!
    http://1000-poems.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/classic-funny-poems-faithless-nelly.html

Obviously back in the 18th century humour was quite crude when it came to sensitivity!!

Patsy ~ Your family's 3 candles idea is a lovely one and I might just steal it for friends' future birthdays. :) I'm with you on that feeling my body hasn't somehow kept up with my brain so of course the best thing to do is avoid mirrors! Enjoy the rest of your day.

Today I'm stuck at home after my car decided yesterday morning that I was a thief trying to steal it so went into anti-thief mode cutting off the engine. This was after my walk with George in local woods so we had to walk the 2 miles home where I did an internet search on how to get round the problem, rang a friend for a lift back to the car when none of the so-called tricks worked so then phoned another friend who arrived in a big truck and towed me home heart in mouth because the brakes don't react too well when the engine is switched off and there were times I found my car running too fast towards his rear! I'm sure this all stems from my loss of that bunch of keys as I'm now using a copy that isn't remote so tomorrow will phone an auto locksmith and pay a small fortune for a new programmed key and hopefully be back on the road again! On Wednesday there's an auction about 10 miles away that has a G-plan nest of tables that I want to check on and bid for but our local bus doesn't go in that direction so I must get sorted by then.

Now it's time for a cuppa and back to tennis to watch the mixed doubles final.
    Jackie
  • jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, "Faithless Nellie Gray", where on earth did I first read that! Forgot all about it until the cannon ball jogged the old grey cells! No pun intended! So sorry about the car JACKIE, what a bummer! Yes, the tennis was an anti climax.

What a super idea PATSY, 3 candles for us ancients, love it! I'm going to pinch the idea as well! Another money saving tip. When one gets to 80 odd candles plus the cake - well the cost really rises! And what do you do with 80 used candles? I don't avoid mirrors when it comes to the ravages of time. I just take my glasses off and all the wrinkles disappear! Saves on face cream as well which doesn't work anyway.
    Mikes here,
    Anne.
  • jacean2017
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Michael says - JACKIE take the car to a dealership that represents your brand. They will have to reset the computer and possibly issue a new key.
    A locksmith apparently is no good because he would have to reset the computer. This means getting the car to the dealership. The car computer has to recognize the key apparently.
    I know nothing about cars, but this is what he told me. I hope it helps.
    Anne.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Just got back home. The memorial service for my friend was wonderful. Her family should be so proud. The young man who mceed it should be applauded for the fantastic job he did. Her sister in law, 2 nephews, her granddaughter, grandson and daughter all had great things to say. Audrey would have felt so good about it. Audrey's daughter was thrilled we drove up for her Mom's service. So glad we did.

Then Ed and I went out to Easyford where I grew up and my cousin convinced us to stay an extra day. What a good couple of days.

I'll Catch up later.

Jeri

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I just lost an entire post :'( ...

I'll try a quick reprise: Amazed at Jilly's reaction to Michael's name! Sorry about JACKIE's car, but recall having to bring our Camry back to the dealer to reset out crazy computer---many moons ago! JERI and ED performed a wonderful thing for Audrey's daughter by attending her funeral!

To dear PATSY,
    qhhrhw3oc9ee.jpgo:)<3

<3 Buzz

...................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen................

• pinkperil
    Options
    Good morning everyone

Anne ~ Thanks for Michael's advice but unfortunately living where I do in the sticks, the closest dealership is in Plymouth and the car is not driveable so hoping a crafty man with a van can reset the computer. His ad says he can get into and start any car..... wonder what he was in a previous life? LOL

Happy Monday. Finally reached my goal weight, probably after that long walk back home on Saturday but I'll take it!!

Jackie
  • jacean2017
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yes JACKIE, when I mentioned your dilemma to Mike, I said you might have to have the car towed to Plymouth if you followed his suggestion.
    He did come up with another idea, but changed his mind in case it didn't work and you had a bigger problem. Can't quite remember but something to do with batteries which might work or might not. Congratulations on reaching your goal. I just can't seem to drop these last 4 lbs and I really try! Can't think what I'm doing wrong except maybe eating correctly but too much!
    Anyway I hope today turns out good and you are back on wheels. It must be quite difficult living in a village without a car (or a horse and buggy!!). I can walk to food stores from my house, but not for clothes etc. Please let us know if all works out well with the man in the van!

Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Anne, hooray for the man in his van because not only was he charming, he didn't raise an eyebrow when I told him the saga of lost keys and the spare falling apart in my hand. Probably heard it all before of course! Michael was on the right track I think if he was talking about the battery in the keys and also we tried touching the 2 main battery cables together in an effort to reset the computer but it seems what happened was the tiny chipboard inside the key must have fallen out when it opened slightly but I didn't notice, hence no message getting through to the engine. Luckily I hadn't turned the engine over too often which would have wiped out the coding altogether and inside the wallet that holds the car handbook is what looks like a credit card and he scraped off a foil strip and there was the code needed to reset the computer and make new keys.... you live and learn! Ouch to the cost but it would have been a lot more being towed to Plymouth! He's also given the old key a new chip so I now have one mobile and also two spares that will at least start the engine even if not lock doors. I'm now off to the car wash with George who loves to chase the water from inside as it splashes the windows because the local birds sat in overhanging branches for the past couple of days doing what they do best!! Have you thought you might not be eating enough because sometimes your body can store weight in case supplies are about to run out!! Otherwise you could try varying your diet a bit just to confuse your metabolism, not that you look at all overweight to me. :)

Jackie

• jacean2017
    Options
    HOORAY indeed JACKIE! I think Mike was on the right track and of course would have popped over to have a look if we didn't live 3000 odd miles apart! He was scared the battery hint might cause you more trouble doing it on your own, hence me deleting that bit! Jill would love to be with George in the car wash, she chases the hose and I've just got in from gardening and caught her drinking the muddy water out of a hole I'd dug to transplant a potted zucchini in an effort to save it from the rabbit. For a posh looking dog she really is a mucky little hound! I also dug up a huge patch of a low flowering shrub that had gone woody. I've wanted to do that for years and finally felt fit enough to tackle it. AH!! now exhausted and writing this! Jilly is exhausted as well, snoozing and sitting on her chew bone.

I'm not overweight by body mass index, and on that scale have never been overweight, BUT I'd like to be a girl again - ha, scrap that idea - and be below the middle figure rather than drifting to the high end. I live in hope!

Well, I'm just about recovered so time to tackle the washing. It's quite humid outside so glad I got an early start.

Happy motoring everybody, or busing if you are like me!
    A very grubby
    Anne,
    From gardening.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,192 Member
    Options
    Good day!

So glad your car is operating once again Jackie! I have one of those spare code things for my car in the glove box but if I needed it would I be able to get to it and would I remember it is there? Lucky George, an adventure at the car wash.

Anne, I wish I had a car expert in my family. What a treasure! A lady at church works at her husband's car repair shop but I would imagine he is tired of people asking questions. And we have a young fellow who is a very good mechanic but I never seem to see them when I need an opinion. Haaaa. Do you think they sense these things and hide out?

A day to stay home. I was going to run a couple of errands but it kind of breaks up the day so am sticking at home. A slow drain has been sped up (for now at least), several toilets cleaned, laundry done, small red potatoes cooked, mushroom gravy started, a couple of small sweet potatoes in the toaster oven and some fresh vegetables washed and ready to cut up.

It will be a busy week coming up. Most of my regular things plus the first of my day long land lease meetings and I need a trip to Walmart. I have been avoiding it but needs must.

I did get to the afternoon crafting session yesterday and made a simple beaded bracelet. It was fun. The string leather was not leather, it was a vegan option. And it worked well. It would be fun to make another one. Someday.

Oh and I did watch Grantchester last night. Poor broken hearts. Sigh.

Well, I should get back to my tasks as I am sure the day will evaporate on me once again and I will be angry with myself for not accomplishing more.

Hugs.

Lin
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! I had a very lovely birthday with family AND chocolate birthday cake. Thank you again for the birthday wishes. Today we lunch with our musician friend. There is this very funny thing that happens when we eat at our favorite Thai place. The cook is a fierce individual that hardly speaks English. She loves that John always says hello to the kitchen staff as we enter and leave. She insists on bringing John's food to him personally. She shouts "John EAT!" And giggles as she runs back to the kitchen. I do believe she has a crush on him. It is all sweet and sort of funny.

Once again, we hold our breath when it comes to our friends mental state. Each time we get together it feels like it could be the last time. However, his physical health is holding pretty well. He isn't suffering some the usual ills so common with dementia. Football and golf are still his favorite topics.

Jackie: computers in cars are John's biggest problem. He cannot do much when those problems crop up. He loves to work on his cars. Thank God the sports car is old enough to have old technology.

Anne: I am one of the people that is looking forward to the driverless car. Just get in and tell it where you want to go! John invisions all manner of disasters with such a vichicle. Like in that old kids TV show "The Jetsons,". Loved it !

Katie is getting suspicious that we have plans that do not include her...we must start our apologies right now.
    Have a happy week,
    Patsy

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, I had forgotten about my new Samsung Galaxy Tablet, thus deleting a special program My DG had installed in my Google account so I could use the tablet as an adjunct to my Windows 10 on the laptop rather than having to learn to use an Android program. I think it was called Splash something and once I realized what I had done, I had to track all my deletes back to June 24 to find and reinstall them. Also the battery was down to 0%, too! Now that it's charging, it's full of Facebook notices I have not opened. It would take me 10 days to catch up, which is one of the reasons I left Facebook. Maybe one of these days!
    JACKIE, so glad the car thing worked out. Tech stuff can be a blessing and a curse!
    ANNE, glad you caught yourself! I have no desire to be young again. Each age brings with it fascinating things and growth and also life's problems. I think they balance one another.
    Well, saw the Dr today regarding latest lab reports and he wants more complete testing for diabetes. I think the neuropathy (he thinks) in my fingers and hands is a sign, and it has been getting worse, but I suspect it's age! It feels like gout! Thank goodness for BioFreeze! I was concerned about white blood cells being too low, but they are fine, so I go back again next Monday. He sees me downstairs, which is so convenient! And Lab tests come right to my apartment! This may be just the incentive I need to stop fooling around with my food intake. I do think the added weight affects everything, but I've been ignoring it. No more.
    PATSY, Mike's dementia improved when he was given an extensive test for oxygen level. The finger test never indicated he was deficient. Of course he did end up hating the darn tanks!
    LIN, you seem so organized and efficient, and how lovely you make the time for your creative side, too. Has living alone changed your habits very much?
    All's quiet on SANDY's front. Just checking!
    JERI, so nice to have gotten back to where your childhood memories lay! You and ED deserve these pleasurable trips!
    Trying to decide on a new computer; should color make a difference? I love my almost fuchsia lid I have now. All that's available in a large laptop now is black, silver or gray; too drab to have to open every day! Is a touch screen so important? Or should I simply sign up again for extended concierge warranty? Problem is, since this was originally Windows 7, does it have all the bells and whistles necessary for all the W 10 updates? I think there is still plenty of room for memory. Ho hum, should I even be thinking about it?
    Aha, there's the daily rumble of todays approaching lightening storms! Logging off...
    <3 Buzz

...................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen................

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Sandydur
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) There is a class action suit against Ford for transmission problems with the year of my Focus. When my SIL was here he told me I definitely had transmission problems, so I called my dealer and set up an appointment for today. I told them I will not pay for a diagnostic test and that I have an letter that extends my warranty. I got a ride home from them and have been waiting to hear what they are doing and if they found the problem. Believe it or not I just got a call from one of the Ford salesmen who wanted to know if I wanted to trade my car in for a new one? WHAT? No thank you and if I could afford a new car it wouldn't be a Ford again.

In the meantime I called Babe only to find out his phone isn't working. I tried his cell phone but he didn't answer that either. I was just about to text his son but tried his cell phone once again and his son answered. He said he tried calling his dad several times and he didn't answer so he went to his house to make sure he was okay. He was very friendly and cordial so I was grateful he went. I called Comcast but they wanted to send a tech out and I told them first I would go and restart his modem. Of course I have to wait for my car to be ready. Ugg.

HI Barbie, nice to see you!!

Buzz, I believe my computer had Windows 7 installed but I now use Windows 10. I do think I have all the bells and whistles required for Windows 10. I have no idea what Splash is but maybe you should call your DG to ask her. I am glad your blood cells were normal and hope the extensive test for diabetes is negative. As far as notification go on Facebook and on the left it says notifications, you can choose to not get any notifications.

Patsy, I am happy that you had a great birthday. It does indeed sound like the cook has a crush on your friend. I hope his wife is not the jealous type. lol He sounds like he is doing well and no sense in anticipating what might happen and when. One Day at a Time.

Lin, it is nice to stay home and catch up on things and take some needed time to yourself.
    You do so much for others, it is good to do something for you.

Anne, my goal was to be able to say I was under 130, thus the goal weight of 129. I shrank so I am only 5"2" now so probably could be less weight but I worry about looking like a skinny old lady. lol My kids say I am fine the way I am and I trust them. Try reducing your sugar intact and if you drink pop of any kind stop, I lost a lot of weight doing that but of course now I am eating low carb. (most of the time) Cheat days are necessary to fool your metabolism.
    (my opinion only)

Jackie, I too, am glad you got your car running. As I said to my SIL today, I hate to admit I need a man to help me with car problems, but I know nothing about them. Some of our lessons are expensive but at least we learn from them. Congratulations on reaching your goal!!! And I agree, verifying your diet at least once a week helps in weight loss.

I think I am caught up and now I wish they would call and tell me my car is done.

Have a good one!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• jacean2017
    Options
    SANDY, I never eat sugar, at least not in actual sugar form as in coffee etc, never drink pop. It's a mystery. It has to be eating more than I think because I've been on 1200 calories for ever, sometimes going very slightly over. I'm 5ft 5ins and in my youth weighed 128 to 132lbs. So never that slim. I don't expect to go down to that but I would love to be 138lbs. I've 4 lbs to go. It's amazing how just a little weight loss improves the old bones.
    I agree BUZZ, I don't want to go through the tribulations of youth again and in fact these retirement years have been the happiest of my life, but I would like to achieve closer to the WEIGHT of a younger age and I'm so glad that Sandy and Jackie are feeling the benefits of less weight to cart around. Great achievement girls!
    Driverless cars PATSY! That's for me, but like John, Mike keeps pointing out the pitfalls that can happen. Apparently in Australia during test runs the driverless cars computer can't recognize a kangaroo on the road. That won't happen here of course but in Australia they graze on the side of the road according to my Aussie cousin. Something to do with the animals ability to hop and leap at great height.
    And here I go again, twittering on,
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,192 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hi ho, it is time to go....again.

Another scorching day on tap. Fingers crossed that all mechanical items keep working. I got the codes cleared from my car once again so the check engine light is off. Just occurred to me that I need to get gas soon. The check engine light comes on about twice for each tank of gas. Maybe I should have filled it first. Oh well. Fun crawling around in a tight space finding the wiring plug-in. Haaaaaa.

A few errands and then finally, a morning of Mah Jongg on tap. Haven't played in a couple of weeks due to lack of players.

Buzz, you seem to be able to fix about anything. Amazing. I am glad you got your tablet back to its prior state. Color makes no difference with a computer but color makes us happy so get whatever makes you happy. Remember when we could just get black?

Sandy, did you hear anything about your car? Hope it is fixed.

I think I mentioned I am doing a plank challenge during the month of July. We are up to 80 seconds now. Yipes, is it the end of July yet?

Time to run.

Hugs.

Lin
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Summers arrived here as well. The Bean and I have just watered the garden and she's drying off. The cicadas are "clicking" there's a thrush in the bird bath, and the helicopter is dropping rabies prevention pellets into the local ravine for the foxes and raccoons, or so they say on the radio.
    We are sitting in the morning shade enjoying the "cool" and later I hope to go to the local mall to escape the heat and get a battery for my watch amongst other things - such as pyjamas. I think it's time I looked respectable in bed and discarded the tatty old tee!
    For once, peace and quiet, Harry's not sawing his woodpile, no mowers whirring, no workmen digging up roads etc, no garbage trucks, no dogs passing for Jilly to bark at, just the cicadas, alls peace in our little world.
    Enjoy a lovely if humid day,
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) Ford kept my car so the tech could drive it home and put a gadget like a heart monitor on it to test the shutter. They texted this morning and they are putting in a new clutch assembly today and my car should be ready this afternoon. I am so grateful my SIL drove my car and made me take it to the dealer. I hate to admit I know nothing about cars and thought they fixed the problem when they did a repair in January. I just hope it is fixed and I have no more transmission problems. I am meeting friends for an early dinner so I hope my car is done in time.

The problem with Babe's phone was that the cleaning girl loosened the connection to his phone in the basement. I didn't and couldn't get there yesterday but I did tell him to check his phone downstairs so all is good.

We too, are supposed to get hot and humid weather but right now I have my windows open and love the fresh air.

Anne, is the mall within walking distance? Enjoy the peace and quiet, I know I do since it is just as quiet here today. <3 BTW, like Jackie I don't think you need to lose weight but we all have our goals don't we?

Lin, glad you get to enjoy Mah Jongg once again, I know you really like playing. You sound like you are more mechanical than I am, I am not sure I could even open my hood. lol

Have a great day and enjoy life!!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time