Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,192 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sandy.........
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    Lin, I bought a portable humidifier last year and it works a treat. Well worth the cash
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    2345728hxyq18zhel.gif[/url]

Becky- Sorry for your family's loss

Lin, sorry about the dry nose, we go through that every winter but we do have a humidifier for the bedroom. It fits on the night stand and works really good.
    The list is great but I am with Anne I am a thrower outer of things. My hubby is always looking for things I toss out. I figure if you haven't used in a year it goes.

Sandy - yes the instructions were great for the ticker but didn't work for me. I think access to it is only on the Profile.

I just got back from Kathy's (my daughter) and most of their packing is done now. I helped with the kitchen but they still have closets to do now. They will be moving on the
    17th. She was pretty tired today and will be taking a nap.

We are now figuring out dinner for tonight. I am tired too. :(

Shirley
    Ontario, Canada
    Raining and cloudy.

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    blueHarebell....I had a cat eat one of those string thingys that a roast is held together with. She had a very hard time pooping it out.

Lin...you list of what to get rid of is wonderful. My husband would not be able to do this though. He actually still has his college clothes in our closet. He hasn't been in college since 1978. They do still fit him because he is a very healthy man. (ok, he is a hoarder and I am mad).
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Sandy !!!! Please tell me that my math isn't that bad !!!!
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Lol Becky
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Shoot, lost a post! Yes, D.A. starts shortly so I'll go have some cereal first, and then go check LIN's list. My 65 year old daughter (And I'm only 60?) is making nice income on e-bay with all her extra "stuff"! Try it!
    I am really feeling much better today. Cough no longer hurts and ribs are normal again, and I may allow another day or 2 to be certain I'm no longer contagious! My cursor now seems to have straightened itself out; how nice is that? PHOEBE, did you hint at feeling ill? Take good care of yourself, luv! Gotta run, but hello to every single one of you!
    <3 Buzz
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello all----time to log out and get ready for the new Downton Abbey. Something warm to drink, a nice warm throw and I'll be prepared. (FYI - I live in a two-story home with a basement, and I do have a little humidifier upstairs but it doesn't do a lot and nothing for the first floor where I spend most of my waking hours thus the simmering pot of water today.)

Nite all!!

Lin
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Hope you all enjoyed DA. I recorded it, didn't watch it. When we first got home, honey did well, the cats not so good. They are better now. For some reason, Honey has started to bark at Jim. He's not very gung ho about her and it shows.so he is his usual b__t head self! Other than that, honey is ok. Resting now.
    Im falling asleep, see you tomorrow,

phoebe
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Just finished a long walk through the local woods with George leading the way and after a coffee I'm going to drive to a retail shop about 8 miles away that should have its New Year sale up and running, not that I need new clothes but you never know!

Anne ~ When we walk on the moors I take a ball for George to chase and carry but have to keep an eye on him because he steps off the track and finds a hilly area to drop it so it rolls away to a place I can't easily climb into. He's got to know if he doesn't retrieve it it's lost!! I've lost count of the number of toy balls that have been buried in the garden but hope to find them during my Spring clear up. The stones he collects are on the footpath leading from the car parking area to my cottage so aren't in his mouth for long but I am aware he could swallow one although he seems to like the feeling of it rattling around his teeth! He eats cow and sheep poo and then gets constipated, even leaves and twigs get pulled apart so I'm quick to take them away. Labradors are renowned for being hoovers sucking up anything that is or might be edible but George seems a little more discerning!! For all that you're not a fusspot for caring!

Phoebe ~ It took a couple of weeks for George and the cats to settle so I'd suggest you just give them space to sort themselves out. It could be Honey was mistreated by a male so is nervous of Jim, again it's going to take time. Nearly a year on and George is only just beginning to trust strangers although not always and I see how nervous he is of children because in his previous home he was tormented by them. Advice given to me was to accept it will take a year maybe more for him to settle and if Honey spent 9 years outside in a yard you've got a bigger issue to deal with which I know with your loving heart won't be a problem and hopefully Jim will come round in time too!! The photo you posted of her last week showed she was a little overweight, I assume because she didn't get any exercise but I'm sure you'll soon get that in hand once you've signed her up on MFP!

Marie ~ A rock in England is usually something so big it's stuck in the ground and needs lots of effort to shift whereas the stone is the small piece that can be thrown. Picky aren't we! LOL Posting the video was done with more luck than judgment because the computer has a programme called Movie Maker that once loaded gives me a link to You Tube.... I'd never have managed otherwise.

Great to read Buzz you're feeling better because I knew someone who cracked ribs coughing... not nice! Sandy I do laugh when I read how much you're looking forward to those early mornings.... who'd have thought it LOL We all know Babe made the wrong choice over you or his son but it's obvious you aren't letting these stories get to you any more and have moved on at least a bit so well done kiddo (yes, only 50!!) That's some list Lin posted and reminded me of the time I had to clear my mother's home after she passed away over 30 years ago swearing I'd never hoard but guess what??

Must get going... have a good day everyone.

Jackie
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Phoebe I went back to face book to take another look at Honey but could not find her. again.
    I go in thurs for blood work and see and I hope this way of eating is improving my blood work.
    Marie
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    Jackie - sounds good with George. Normally I don't interfere too much so I am sorry, especially with someone who obviously knows how to watch out for animals, but I kept thinking about the jagged bottle cap, plus I've had cats eat the oddest things. Makes one wonder how the wild life gets on with man made objects. Not good of course. You've got quite a job looking after George with all his antics but he must keep you entertained for hours, and also us I should add!
    Phoebe - hope you have a good day with Honey and the cats. Like Jackie said her barking at Jim could be mistreatment by a male in the past. Tabitha has only just started not running away from males and I've had her for 12 years! (aged 17). It used to quite hurt my sons feelings who are both the kindest of men. Hope it takes less time for Jim!
    Sandy - I'm just beginning to understand your story with Babe but it sounds, and again I'm not sure, a lot like mine. I didn't remarry though, because I thought it was hopeless, and now the poor chap rings me up to tell me he made a huge mistake from the home in which his children have placed him.
    Forgive me if I've got it all wrong.

Have a good day everybody, and happy walkies for those with mans best friend. Cheers, Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! :D It is Zero degrees outside but nice and toasty in my house. I have Robby and he has been sleeping since 8 am, almost 3 hours at which time I will wake him since his mom doesn't want him to sleep more than three hours for a nap. I always went on the conception of don't wake a sleeping baby but I do listen to his mom. :p

Bryanna is here and I was happy to see her since I haven't since Christmas. She is also trying to take a nap while waiting for Robby to wake. I was able to nap for about an hour so it is a good morning.

Anne, briefly my story, I am with my husband 37 years, married 23 years, separated for almost two years. Long story short we are separated because of his children, mostly his son. He gave his father an ultimatum and he chose his son. Simple as that but much more complicated. We are legally separated with no intention of divorce. We still love each other and see each other often, just don't live together. I am used to living alone now and honestly it is nice, as I can do as I please when I please. I do have lonely days/nights but the good outweighs the bad. There you have it. And these sneakers were with me all the way through all the hurt and anger and never once judged me. They are very special people.

Time to wake Robby, have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

1762523sfcnzqk8jb.gif

Afternoon,

Thinking of all you ladies today. Just dropped in to say hello. Back from Kathy's and packing up the kitchen.

I had Yoga class today and a 10 min meditation. Feels good.

Started my South Beach Phase 1 today and getting back on track. :D

Now doing catch up today.

Shirley
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    <3 Jackie..you could always buy some smaller size clothing as an incentive.

<3 Sandy...I am so sorry that your husband did that. My husband had his daughter pull the same thing. He just ignored her.

<3 Shirley, what is South Beach Phase 1?

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Love your Chick a Dee's
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    Thank you Sandy. I'm so sorry, very very sad. I've known D for 33 years, first as work colleagues. I knew his wife too, but she died many many years ago. After retirement we started seeing each other regularly and we got to thinking of joining forces. Not to be, his 3 offspring who I'd barely met, and who don't know me at all, became very hostile as they felt he wasn't honouring their mother. This troubled his conscience. My sons decided D was a wimp with no backbone for not standing up to them, and I began to feel like second hand Rose. His children finally hauled him off to view a senior living home and whilst there he said they convinced him to sign the contract. He handed over his bungalow and his car to them and they apparently shared the profit from the sales. Once in the home he started phoning me regularly and asking me to join him, telling me he had made a huge mistake as far as I was concerned. No, too late, I like my single life, and I like my little 100 year old house. I have regained trust from the past life when we emigrated and I don't want it shattered again.
    There's hope for you though with Babe. Tell him it won't be any fun when he is left alone one day in a home with no Sandy and a son who probably won't visit him. Anne ❤️
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Oh, WOW!!! So much similarity, yet enough differences that ANNE and SANDY share! We feel for both of you, and at this point I see where SANDY's decision was the wisest one for her! I may have said it before, but it's worth repeating: the children of a remarried father are far more difficult on the living, remarried parent, than those who's living Mother has remarried. A stepfather seems less of a threat than a "stepmother"! Do the remaining children expected their father to live his entire life dedicated to the memory of their beloved and perfect mother? Living among so many couples in 2nd and 3rd marriages (widows & widowers) we observe this "rule" over and over. Of course there are rare exceptions!!! After 37 years, one of DH's daughters still reminds me in subtle ways her Mother was Dad's REAL wife! And she is a retired teacher!
    I loved the emerging intrigues in Downton Abbey and may yet purchase the season's discs as my ears have no adjusted to the various British colloquialism and accents (forgive me, JACKIE). I think I'll finally watch season 4 again, too. Our channel followed it with a program explaining manners of that period, and we Americans actually have very little knowledge of the importance of class manners, since it is hardly in our tradition. Most of our money and class tends to be recent. Most interesting, though DH was bored and fell asleep during this hour! PHOEBE, I picture the same reaction from JIM???
    JACKIE, I really felt as though my ribs might crack, so delighted that phase is finished!
    SHIRLEY, wish I, too, could get myself to go back to South Beach Diet. It was healthy, quick, and easily understood! I got annoyed when it became commercialized with all the packaged foods with too much sodium, etc., and I guess I lost my cool about remaining on it! It was excellent for diabetics and everyone who stayed with it except maybe the first 2 weeks caused constipation in some followers. BECKY, type South Beach Diet into your search box for the best explanation, or type in "how South Beach Diet originated". My financial advisor was also Dr Agatston's advisor at that point, so I knew about the successful patient treatments from the beginning. It was for heart patients, but everyone on it began losing unwanted weight! In many ways, it's very similar to the Mediterranean Diet! And no counting anything!
    MARIE, let us know how your lab tests work out! Good luck!
    Beginnng of the year, so I must start doing some work here! LIN, you set a goal for me, girl! Gotta put my head on straight!
    <3 Buzz
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    Buzz, thank you for your kind words. I'm so glad it worked out right for you.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good day. I have sinus issues every day of my life but they've been worse lately. Cold winter weather hurts! Anyway, onward right? I'll do what I can. I seem to be drying up like a prune!! My fingers are cracking open (but they are in water all the time due to all the veggie chopping and wish washing etc.), my lips are cracked open, and my skin is dry, dry, dry. Ha. I am slathering on various types of lotion on all my dry parts! Hahahaha.

So winter storm warnings again. I zipped off this morning to Trader Joe's, picked up a cup of coffee to go, and stopped by the library. The snow started a few hours early but I'm all stocked up again and have new tulips---yellow this time. (Gotta love Trader Joe's for various really cheap flowers from time to time.)

The assistant manager laughed as the store was just packed this morning and I said I just ran out of things but it was good timing with the snow storm coming. He said we see people buying bread, milk, and eggs as stock-up items.........your order is a bit unusual. Really? Lettuce, broccoli slaw, onion, apple, pomegranate seeds, mushrooms, zucchini, celery, frozen strawberries, frozen Brussels sprouts, raw almonds, and tulips.

Phoebe, I adopted a female Siberian Husky that had been chained in a backyard pretty much all her life. This couple's son had gotten the dog initially and he left home leaving the dog behind. The father hated the dog but the mother at least fed her. Anyway, rescue got her as the man threatened to shoot her. My dear old Akima *never* totally trusted men again. She hung back a lot and was frightened when repairmen came in my house which could result in a wet spot on the floor. She didn't hurt anyone and she and I got along well; I just didn't push her but I had no man living in the house. That could have changed everything. Love 'ya for taking in dear Honey. God Bless You.

Buzz, I am glad you are starting to feel a bit better. Please all my dear Sneakers, I just posted that list as something interesting I had read, it's not my personal action plan.

Shirley, EXCELLENT to get back to your yoga and meditation.

Marie, hugs my friend. I was so sorry to hear you didn't have your phone with you the other day. They are just a necessity now!

Sandy, happy baby sitting. So glad you are seeing Bryanna today! Wahoo.

Anne, you've been through a lot. Hugs. Wishing you happy days.

Jackie, rock? Really, here we're much more tolerant in our definition of rock---pretty much anything from pebble-size to a boulder can be called a rock! Except when using the phrase "a stone's throw from here." Hahahahahahaha............!

Becky, it is always very good to hear from you my friend. I hope your day is going well. Hugs.

Off I go......need to try to get moving. And I'll watch it snow!

Be safe, be well.

Lin in Snowy Central Iowa