Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Buzz! One good feature? Excuse me, my dear! You've got a whole lot more than one? You are one good looking lady. And you are smart. That is a killer combo!

Getting out my jazzy scarfs and holiday lapel pins. Celebrating the season.
    Patsy
  • jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Your hair is very pretty BUZZ. Wish I had your hairdresser! I've been searching for years! We are up a bit late. I couldn't get to sleep last night. Aching legs didn't help. It's much cooler today, now..... if we could just stay on an even keel temperature wise my body would stay even as well!

I'm just not ready for Christmas yet. I'll start getting frantic a week before the big Eve. I've managed to write 5 of the letters to put in old school friends Christmas cards. One to go, and then a start on the easy "hello and merry Christmas" ones.

I was talking to my easy going neighbour yesterday as I raked the leaves. "What's all the rush, plenty of time to do things" said Harry as he casually tossed an old sink on the growing pile of torn out plywood next to my fence. Harry's renovating. He's right of course. If this year's cards don't make it for 2017, I will be well in time for 2018. On that happy note I'll go and get my bath.
    Anne.

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,173 Member
    Options
    Good morning, what lovely hair on an extremely gorgeous lady!!! Love it Buzz.

Anne, sometimes my legs ache more than other times when I do things a bit out of the ordinary or work too long at a task. I hope you have better rest tonight.

Sandy, we all hope you are starting to feel better. I have a friend who suffers with chronic UTIs and odd but true, so did her sister. Her doctor gave her these bits of his advice. Women are more likely to get UTIs as our ummm, drainage tube is so short so bacteria have an easier time climbing in so to speak. And first and foremost you are right, front to back always. So he had her drink lots of fluids every day, she’s to go to the bathroom when she first feels the urge, holding it is a bad thing and always let him know when the symptoms first start to come on rather than waiting. She also drinks some cranberry juice although I don’t know if that is doctor’s advice or some common cures that we all hear.

That being said, it is time for Tai Chi and meeting up with pals at the library. Super sale at Michael’s today and I have been hunting for some little tiny gold bows. I am sure they do not have what I want as I do not believe they are made—discontinued but I might brave the crazy sale for a look. I did Hobby Lobby yesterday and oh my gosh it was a zoo of people standing in line to purchase Christmas decor and decorating items at 50% off. Yipes.

Patsy, my number hasn’t come up for the new Lee Child’s novel at the Library but I won’t feel bad about it after your comments here. I felt the same about the latest Grafton work.

Gotta run.

Hugs.

Lin
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Isn't life strange? Our Katie suffered a UTI recently. The vet says it is most certainly because she doesn't drink enough water! How do you persuade a very busy doggie to drink more Water? Anyway, words of wisdom there. Something I try to do but it is really repugnant without a slice of lemon or fresh lime maybe a slice of orange would work. I sip hot water and lemon on a dreary cold afternoon. Too much coffee or tea is my downfall.

I have given up worrying about Christmas cards. I email a lot of friends and family. John and I put a valentine letter with photos together for family and a few distant friends. I am not good at time management. I am well aware that I cannot seem to get cards and letters written before Christmas. So I enjoy a winter evening making valentines for loved ones. Makes Christmas more relaxing since I am
    Lucky if I can pull the holidays together. Like I said...time management...working on gifts and gift wrapping finishing up decor, the Christmas event itself and planning a small gathering. Whew! That's it for me.

Our son is determined to get us a personal assistant model of some kind. He is worried about one of us falling. He understands about John's determination to age in place. But he would feel better if we could just say "Alexis! call ambulance, doctor or Damon or 911." He wants to be able to just check on us more regularly. Not sure what the google or other models are called. This device would drive my sweet independent John up the wall! However everyone knows I am about as unstable as humanly possible. I can topple over for no reason at all. So goes the challenges of staying upright and healthy.
    Patsy

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,117 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!! :) Finally I am back in the land of the living. I feel much better today and will continue to rest except I really need to get some groceries. The doctor took me off the pill that turns your pee orange and I am just taking the antibiotic. Thank you for your well wishes and I really hope none of you get an UTI although I know Jeri suffers with them. I am going to buy some yogurt and cranberry juice and some other comfort food. Not going to worry about my weight right now, I just want to be healthy.

Patsy, poor Katie, did she cry when she peed? I have an Amazon Echo, I won it from an auction for the little girl who had the liver transplant. Alexia as she is called is fun and will even play games with me. The other alternative for your son would be to get one of those emergency necklaces that notifies someone if you should fall down. For his peace of mind it might be worth it.

Lin, that was my first mistake in not going to the doctor on Saturday. I should have gone to urgent care but being the Thanksgiving weekend I thought it would be a mad house. I told myself it was a touch of flu although I had burning days before and thought it would just go away. I am glad I mentioned it to the doctor who did a urine test. I feel for your friend because I hope I never get another one again.

Anne, I am not ready for Christmas either but hopefully I can get my decorations up this weekend. I am hoping Bryanna will be able to help me although she has a new job.

Buzz, your hair looks terrific, I am jealous of your body and curls. Looks good on you. The only way to make pictures smaller is to edit them before posting.

Jackie, hope all is well with the new chickens. A new wedding for the royal family next year, are you invited?

Thanks everyone for being here for me and for all your good wishes.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacean2017
    Options
    I'm a happy camper. I've just mailed 14 cards and letters to the United Kingdom and 1 to Australia. So there I was sitting/standing on my laurels, posting the cards and opening my mailbox to find my first Canadian Christmas card! So.....here we go again!

Mike calls me twice a day to make sure I'm still upright. I guess if I don't pick up he will drive over in a flash. Mark also phones but not quite so often. We had my Mom all set up with folks to telephone in an emergency, and guess what, she fell and broke her hip whilst out shopping. I was told she was more concerned about her loaf of bread which she squashed when she fell on it than to tell the folks who picked her up who her contacts where. Typical Yorkshire that, more concerned about the cost of the loaf than telling her concerned family. We finally found out via the hospital.
    Anne.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    PATSY,my DD keeps a pitcher of water with a few spearmint leaves in it...always nearby. She's slim and exercises daily and I wish I had learned well the lessons I taught her! Now, as far as your son's concern: he sees something he is worried about and I understand what he's telling you, make plans now to manage your future years...before it's too late! Mike and I were like everyone else, saying "We're not ready yet!", and believing it. Well, we seem to never be ready until it's too late. When something happens, Lifetime Care communities won't accept problem cases, but at that point, one has to go to a nursing home (!) or strictly assisted living. Once in Lifetime Care Communities, you are independent until one needs help or care, but you would both be either together or nearby one another. My kids were very supportive, and this was the best move we ever made, as we both thought we'd never need help! In the beauty shop yesterday, I met a 103 year old lady who was making an appointment for her next permanent! No aide, sharp as could be, and completely in control of her life. I don't think she is even in assisted living yet! But one has to make this choice while still relatively healthy , even though "we're not ready yet"! People ae living longer and decisions of this nature were unnecessary years ago. Now they are becoming important to consider! At least investigate. We took over 7 years, and suddenly got an offer on entrance fee we couldn't refuse. Never regretted it, and was I ever grateful when Mike became invalided! When my turn comes, I don't want to burden my kids, either. I recall well what LIN had to do for her Dad, RIP!
    ANNE, with your hair, I bet my beautician would have a ball just "scrunching" with her fingers as she lightly dries! Literally simply uses her palms and fingers to keep scrunching, and that's how I place it every morning! Just scrunch!
    I see too many complaints about achy legs, and I'm wondering if any of you ever just sit down during the day with legs raised above heart level. I know I'm pretty lax about doing it, but it is helpful and important to get off our feet! You, too, JACKIE!!! And is SANDY feeling better today? MARIE, you don't tell us about yourself much lately, and I'm hoping your diabetes is under control.
    I stripped my bed, washed the linens, picked up my papers and boxes and general mess, ...and waited! No Liz! So I called and she said it was the 5th Wednesday of the month and we had agreed she would not work on a 5th week! So now, do I struggle to make the bed alone? Or call housekeeping to do it for me? I'll probably struggle, resting frequently, panting and berating myself. But it'll get made and that means next week I'll sleep on the other side! I can remember when I changed linens twice a week! I'd better get started.
    Once finished, I can get started on a new book of Sudoku, as I just finally finished the one containing Samurai Sudoku (5 puzzles in one). This has become literally my 1st addiction!
    Be well, STAY well, and forgive my rants, please! You know I love you!
    <3 Buzz
    .........................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen!..............................
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hello Sneakers, I've just come in from the cold after an hour cutting back bamboo canes that shot up to 20' while I was unable to get at them through the brambles. Now the brambles are down the canes bend in the breeze but also block what little sunlight the chicken run gets this time of year when the sun barely rises above the horizon. The chooks have settled in well and already look perfectly at home. I just have to persuade them to go into the house at night before the automatic door closes otherwise it's a bum fight for me pushing them in and trying to stop them popping heads out again.
    Paused to chat on Skype to my brother in Spain then enjoy a bowl of bean casserole I made earlier in the week..... yummy! In the end I decided to skip yesterday's yoga class as I just wasn't feeling in the right frame of mind so instead curled up in front of the fire having swallowed the first of the pills picked up in the morning, big enough for a horse and not easy to swallow. Before I went to bed I decided I would take a prescribed sleeping tablet and did only wake once around 3am and felt refreshed when I got up at 7.30 so will give them a go for the week, see how I get on although I hate any sort of drug at the best of times.
    Since pausing and eating there have been about 4 new posts so I'm already out of date so must change a few comments below!!

Sandy ~ I had written that you should perhaps do what you now tell us you are so who needs advice from me!! So pleased you are feeling better and I'm sure resting will have helped.... you've been on the go for weeks now. As for the latest royal wedding I was hoping the happy couple would have the sense to sneak off somewhere for a private ceremony and so keep a low profile. Goodness me, I don't think that girl has any idea what she's letting herself in for and I see our press are already digging up her past social media posts to see if there's anything to take a pot-shot at. I genuinely hope they'll be happy but their only chance will be to stay out of the limelight otherwise it will be Diana all over again!

Buzz ~ A lovely hair style and only one of your many gorgeous features! I wouldn't dare put my face that close to any camera these days!!! The friend I walk with most mornings has also suggested a pillow under my knees as it is something that helps her with a painful hip. She thinks it keeps the joint in the correct position as she sleeps so I will give it a go...... I bet I find a cat snoozing on it through the duvet when I go to bed!! Legs up above the heart is my favourite position learned at yoga class as I lie on my back with a dining chair against the back of my legs so that my lower legs and feet rest on the seat. it's the most relaxing pose I've ever found!

Anne ~ You've reminded me I must at least start my Christmas cards otherwise, as ever I'll be in a rush to get them off before the last posting date. Your mum was of that generation that gets on and doesn't want to make a fuss. Paramedics and hospital staff always say they love
    treating them if they end up in their care because they're a breath of fresh air compared to younger stressed folk!

Lin ~ I hope your active day has been most enjoyable and maybe you've found those elusive gold bows you've been on the hunt for. I often see things in my mind that I'm convinced must exist then struggle to find them so I understand the frustration but like you, wouldn't want to go anywhere near a mad shopping frenzy!!

Patsy ~ Those scams are so annoying it gets to a point we can't trust any email and have to double check just in case. Ebay gets copied a lot and I get messages telling me to update my account or get frozen out. I'm convince George doesn't drink enough water because even on warm days I struggle to get him to drink during one of our walks while little Scruff laps it up. We think with her Jack Russell terrier instincts of survival she knows exactly what she needs to do whereas George thinks he's still up that Himalayan mountain with the monks and any time now it will snow and he'll enjoy licking it!! As for all these little robots in our homes I watched a fascinating programme last night called "The Robot will see you now" where people sat in a room with one and discussed family issues. Something I learned that horrified although not particularly surprised me was that these things can already search an individuals internet activity right down to every post, purchase, sale and social media chat ever made and in a few seconds come up with a personality trait and analysis of how one thinks but because a robot has no social skills as such it's quite brutal when it puts all this together...... just saying, I wouldn't want one in my home!! Better to go with the alarm button on a wrist band or as a pendant!

Although the fire is lit my feet are turning to ice as I sit at my desk so time to put them up and enjoy the glow in the stove. On my way to the top moor this morning I passed police sorting out a turned over van that must have been driven too fast on the icy road. Perhaps you have the same but we have a term "white van man" that is taken to mean a bad driver going too fast and being inconsiderate at the same time so I'm guessing this was just such a person! Anyway Winter has arrived here even if for just a short spell so definitely curling up time.

Jackie
  • linder4866
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hi, I am home and just wanted to add a quick word. I have an Amazon Echo and Alexa is ever vigilant in my bedroom. Last night a commercial said “Alexa, set an alarm for 8am” and by gosh MY Alexa said setting alarm for 8am.....I frantically called Alexa, cancel all alarms. That is the biggest problem I have had, any sound the device picks up that sounds like “Alexa” is acted upon. Sigh.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Echo, Alexa, what next? Wasn't there a book, 1984, that foretold all of this "future" many years ago? I'm still getting acquainted with my iPad, Galaxy, Kindles, and now the dumbed-down "smartphone"! I can't keep up!
    ANNE, you snuck in a new photo while I wasn't looking! I just love it and you look fabulous!
    Now I must get some more "volunteer" stuff done. No, it is misnamed because I feel pressured to get it done, so it's not really volunteer any longer! lol :'( ...
    <3 Buzz
    ............................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen!.........................
  • pinkperil
    Options
    We had fun on our walk this morning as sleet and a cold wind closed in on us just as we got started so it seemed a good idea to get off the track we were on and cut across the rough moorland to a path we knew was at the bottom of the hill. The dogs loved if of course but us two old biddies had to pick our way over muddy and slippery terrain to get to a relatively level path. We always manage to laugh at the predicaments we find ourselves in on these walks and today was no exception! It seems the automatic door on the hen house isn't working as I hoped so my next job is to take reading glasses, a torch a new set of batteries and most importantly the instructions then ponder over the tiny engine with even tinier push buttons. A project manager is popping in this afternoon to talk over how and when my garden room will be constructed so that's great because I should get a start date, I imagine not before Christmas and New Year.

I noticed today's news that Apple admit their super secure system was hacked a while ago and Google are in Court over their naughty activities. Is it all beginning to unravel?

I wish everyone a good day whatever you're up to.
    Jackie
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Well JACKIE this post is selfishly about me, so you have all been warned to quit before I begin:

HAIR, I was born with a haystack in the wind on my tiny head. My mother despaired and no, I am not going to show my baby picture. For years she, mother that is, tugged at it, cut it short, braided it long and finally gave up I think. I was known as "bushy" by some, changed to "shrub" by others and walked around looking like a punk rapper before it became fashionable for "males". Keith Richards would have loved my hair. Finally, I gave up and started chopping it off myself. This I did for eons putting up with comments like "Anne have you been hacking at your hair again." About 2 years ago I decided it was time to join the human race, hand over my $20 and hope I could become elegant. Haaa!!! Recently I had a "modern" cut. I finally looked like Janice and the elderly gals around here, except that in the wind their hair gently settled back in style whilst mine jutted out like a Victorian gentlemans shaving brush. I dug out that photo of a few years ago BUZZ and out came the scissors. Jilly watched interestedly as hair in shovelfuls came off. This morning I washed it and scrunched it like I once did and the old shaggy Anne has emerged from the wreckage. I'm so glad to have the old girl back. The curl is back and although greyer than 2 years ago I look pretty much like the Anne on the photo. I guess I'll get the usual "have you been hacking at your hair again". The back is the problem of course not having eyes in the back of my head. But now in the endless wind it will just add to the general VERY windblown look.
    Sorry to BORE you all if you read this far. I am hoping I will now shut up and accept what the good Lord gave me!

Latest scam here. Email stating the government owes YOU money. "Just give us your banking details and we will deposit it in your bank account".
    Will it ever end!
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Good morning, need to scoot along soon but oh my, the warm coffee tastes very good and I would rather read your posts!

Anne, sorry about your long history of hair problems. I live on the other side of that issue with a lifelong struggle with fine hair and trying to make it look like something. I had long straight hair but certainly not volumes of it. Then I tried short and perms, and then back to long and blonde. Finally I gave up and had it chopped off and just decided it is what it is.

Jackie, I hope you find out what is wrong with the hen house door. And may it be simple! Also best wishes on the meeting about your new project. It sounds exciting!

Buzz, yes, who knows what we have gotten ourselves into. All these devices sound lovely but all have the potential to go awry. Perhaps leaving us in more trouble than if we had our old mechanical devices. Alexa heard her name one evening and ordered a product that was on a commercial and I had to go on my laptop and cancel the order. The thing is, I totally forget that it is there, always listening. Argh.

Patsy, I have an emergency button by the way. All my contact information etc. is stored with the company. It makes me feel better to have it. I take it everywhere I go.

Well, I suspect it is time to either get going or make another cup of coffee.

Hugs.

Lin
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Girls, my iPad is old and I've just had a problem. It turned itself off, screen blank, no light etc. I pressed all buttons as instructed, nothing. However, 30 minutes later, it's just come back. Either a temporary glitch or fading away. Just letting you know if it becomes dead again permanently I haven't deserted you. Will just have to take a few days before buying a new one.
    Fingers crossed,
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,117 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!! :) I think things are getting back to normal. I am going to my meeting today and then coming home to rest some more. I am hoping to watch the boys tomorrow so they can go to their meetings but will see how I feel.

On the issue of hair, mine is like Lin's, straight and fine. I do the best I can with it but it takes work. I am envious of people who have natural waves or curls.

Anne, your hair looks great in your profile picture. Anne have you done all the updates on your IPad? Turn if off manually and turn it back on that might help. Good luck.

Lin, good idea with your emergency button, something I should probably have since I live alone. It is a little scary when I get in the car and my phone tells me it is so far to my destination. How does it know where I am going? lol Of course it is because I go to the same places on the same days.

Jackie, good luck with the hen house, I know it won't be a problem for you. I cannot wait to see the new garden room, it just sounds so English.

Buzz, don't get pressured into volunteer work if you don't want to do it. You will end up like LIn with people taking advantage of you. Let's remember without technology we would have never met each other and our lives would be so dull.

Have a wonderful day my friends.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• jacean2017
    Options
    Yes, I did all the updates SANDY. Seems okay now. Glad you are feeling much better. Anne.
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Good day dear sneakers! I had fun day reading "Herself, the Elf!" To the kids at school. No puppet to go with the story but I did have a Santa hat and reindeer ears. I always get nervous about the stories. I have them checked for PC status before I read them. There it is..sad but true. But we move on and delight in the kids and the stories.

I have a Christmas story in draft form but not finished by any stretch. I hope to get it in shape before school lets out for the holidays. It would be great to have a puppet ready as well. I think I have mentioned about my time management issue! Katie sort of ate one of my Auntie Goose puppets. My fault for not putting it away. On my desk is not away appearently.

This is errand day. Then John and I will sneak away for a late lunch somewhere. I may enjoy an actual sandwich of some kind or a big bowl of veggie soup would be perfect. Hungry already!

Looking into a Google personal assistant. Must be careful on this. Anne: By the way, I think you must reset your older iPad. I have a really old one in the dungeon. Rarely use it because it is soooooo slow. I also think apple wants you to do an update. That might be your problem. Knowing next to nothing about computers, I naturally feel compelled to give an uneducated opinion.
    Wearing my gold tennis shoes and earrings today. It detracts from my ugly hair style these days. (????)
    Patsy
  • jacean2017
    Options
    I did reset the iPad and it came back on after half hour. Thanks for the tips. Appreciated, Anne.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Oh, SANDY, dear SANDY, You've said it all! If I write a post, it will sound almost exactly like yours (except for the hair!) So glad you are sounding like your usual healthy self again! You are so right about technology being responsible for our "family", yet I, too worry about whether it will be its own "demolisher"! It can be used for wonderful things, and it can be misused in horrific ways. A few bad eggs and....?
    Anyway, I'll just say I love ANNE's "new" hair, and the rest of you appear to have great looking hair, including the 4 legged ones!
    JACKIE, describing your reaction to figuring out how to adjust that automatic door sounds like what I do, too. I don't want anything mechanical (or now, technical) to get the best of me, and I can waste hours figuring out how to fix it! I still haven't figured out whether it's a good or bad trait!
    Oh my word! I just heard on my TV that the White House wants the "Russian Investigation" terminated! How to interpret this latest news?
    I think I'll get to bed earlier tonight. We had our monthly Around the World dinner tonight, this time to Greece. Funny how Greek salad is so misinterpreted! I reveled in them when we were in Greece, and they consisted of heavenly thick-sliced red, red tomatoes, Kalamata olives, marvelous unsalty Feta cheese (really fresh), and a slice of onion occasionally. Topped with fabulous olive oil. But here, you get almost everything but the kitchen sink, and nothing memorable! I don't recall ever having greens served with those marvelous tomatoes! Our tomatoes here have no taste, now that I've stopped growing our own. I wonder if they'd grow in a pot indoors? Our melons are also tasteless! I just got the first Argentina blueberries of the coming winter, and I must admit they are sweet and delicious! I wonder how much longer Florida will have an agricultural area, with the construction companies buying out so many farms and ranches. even the orange groves are shrinking sadly! Maybe the oranges will have to be removed from our license plates eventually! OK, I'm wandering, so goodnight, sleep tight!
    <3 Buzz

............................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen!.........................

• pinkperil
    Options
    It must be the time of year for us all to be a little philosophical about a variety of subjects and it's one of the many things I love about our group. For a start I think Microsoft thinks because I'm English every word I type is going to be wrong according to their dictionary so they now begin to underline in red the first few letters until it becomes a full word.... very off-putting. It's a bright and sunny day but with a freezing wind so our walk was cut short even though we kept to a lower sheltered area. Our problem was the sheep had the same idea and Scruff couldn't resist doing her best to round them up and so ended up on her lead, not that she cares! Every time I stepped outside yesterday with pockets loaded with everything I might need to fix the hen house hail hammered down and sent me back inside. Today seems a perfect day because where they are situated is sheltered. A coffee first of course!

Buzz ~ When I was about 10 years old I was given an old record player, the sort that played 78's but it didn't work properly and I remember sitting on our garden lawn dismantling its mechanical parts with my father's tools and oiling each piece before putting it back together. I was over the moon when, after a manual windup it played Paul Anka's Diana at the right speed so yes, I've always been one to never accept defeat when it comes to inanimate objects!!
    Having followed the tv series Trump, An American Dream to its conclusion last night all has become clear to me how that man got where he is today and why he thinks he can do whatever he wants to cover his back. What an eye opener... I'll say no more except watch out for the series!! My memories of a Greek salad in that country is exactly as you describe with those huge juicy tomatoes full of flavour but I think today, certainly in this part of the world, too much is grown under cover in huge plastic tunnels so no chance for the sun to warm them and draw out their true flavour. If you could get ahold of a variety called Tumbling Tom it would grow quite happily on a sunny window sill and do as its name suggests. They have small fruit but are wonderfully flavoursome.

Patsy ~ Young Brady often gets shouted at for jumping up on kitchen counters but then I do tell myself if I didn't leave anything there to tempt him it wouldn't happen so I do understand Katie's dilemma when faced with an irresistible puppet. Whether you go for a sandwich or wholesome veggie soup I'm sure you'll enjoy.

My computer is playing up after a pop-up was just stopped by my anti virus because it was a threat so I'm going to finish for now and restart it then get to that chicken house motor while the sun shines. I'll take my camera and see if I can take a photo of the new girls if they keep still long enough. So far names of two are Cinders and Wendy but the 3rd chook is a bit of an single minded lady so more observing before I decide on her true personality!

Hell to Lin, Anne, Jeri, Sandy and Marie
    Happy Friday!!
    Jackie