Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I went to my computer just before heading for bed so I could order Meta Mucil from Costco.com. Their price is way better than anyone else's plus they do mot charge f0r shipping. Add 5% because I'm no longer a member, and I still saved more than $10 ! So I just re-awoke again to find 24 lines of the letter D all over the screen so GOODNIGHT !
    <3 Buzz
    Hi, JERI!
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    A lovely walk this morning in a balmy 7c degrees with not another soul to see until back at the car park. My intentions today are to sort out a pile of papers currently sitting on my lovely new dining table. Two of my new hens are laying every day so far but one has an obvious problem in that the shells were gritty in the first couple of days and now nothing so hopefully she is recharging her batteries. It seems to me any subject on social media can be targeted by nasty abusive people and it never ceases to amaze me how many are out there. My walking friend was telling me this morning that a Fun dog show site she was moderating has been shut down overnight because the man who set it up has been getting tirades from angry dog owners about their pooches not winning certain categories or accusing the judges of taking bribes when the events are set up to have fun as they raise money for charities.

Buzz ~ How times have changed when you see how Princess Margaret had to make huge choices of love or duty and today we have Harry and his divorcee being welcomed into the family with open arms.... thank goodness. Sad for Margaret although I seem to remember she made up for it in her later private life!!

Sandy ~ Mrs Eagle Eyes LOL. Yes, I'd missed my typing error and of course Microsoft is so busy underlining in red most of my English spelling it didn't with the hell word!! My medication is certainly easing some aches but what I thought was a sleeping pill turns out from reading the small print to be an anti depressant and also for bed wetting neither of which has been a problem to-date!! A friend who knows about these things tells me it's the new way of dealing with sleeping issues and I am finding I only wake at 3am and 5.30 due to a small amount of discomfort so more sleep has to be good...... reading Buzz? ;)

Patsy ~ No point in suggesting a small basket for the toys then!! LOL George has a pile of them in a corner behind a chair and it's so difficult to sort into favourites because every time we get home from a walk he chooses a different one to grab and rush about with, sometimes tossing in the air before balancing on his back. Most days as I walk across the room I pick up and throw at least 2 into their basket but turn my back and another is in the middle of the floor!

I must get on as the morning is flying away so to everyone missed. Enjoy your Sunday, stay safe and warm.

Jackie

• jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    It would appear our little four footed friends have more toys than us two footed. I won't show Jilly's to add to the pile. I think I should have gone into dog and cat toy manufacturing! There's money in them thar toy boxes! Jilly has a favourite "squeaky purple bone". She takes this toy to bed with her every night and carefully places it in the side of her blanket. Out it comes every morning to join her pile AND Christmas is on the way, but no new toy will ever replace purple bone!

I'm up sipping my tea but madam has gone back to bed on a dark morning. I think Margaret didn't want to give up being a Princess and becoming just a missus like the rest of us commoners. I felt sorry for captain Townsend at the time but he ended up happily marrying a young lady who looked remarkably like Margaret so all ended well for all parties. I thought Princess Margaret looked gorgeous in her simple but beautiful wedding dress and upswept hair when she married Snowdon. The times are indeed a-changing, no interfering for prince Harry.

I wonder what today will bring, sure to be something so must away and get out of these pyjamas.
    Anne.
  • jacean2017
    edited December 2017
    Options
    PS. Dog shows sound like baby shows, JACKIE! We are 7C today as well. Then the cold air settles in by Tuesday I believe.

This is on my calendar today. I liked it.

Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. Camille Pissarro.
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Good news! It is about two weeks or so until solstice. We will start getting more light. I will become obsessed again with checking out how many seconds/minutes more each day. This is the time of year I really have to depend on my happy light. This light deficiency thing makes me crazy...re crazier.

I had a big giggle over Daisy's toy pile. It looked so much like what I face each day. Except Katie loves BIG toys. She tackles them and drags them around and runs and pounces on them. It is really fun to watch. The more we laugh, the more she runs and tackles them. She loves to perform!

I have ordered most of our son's Christmas gifts. Now the anxious wait. Will they get here in time? John is so cute about Christmas. He wants to spend the same amount on both of our kids. He adds up every thing and if it isn't really equal, he adds a little something to even it exactly. I love it his sense of fairness.

We will have clouds this morning and heavy fog. This afternoon we will see some sun. It is quite chilly however. I made veggie soup yesterday, will add a toasted roll and a pear for dessert and there is lunch. Yea! Minimal cooking today.

The week begins and Christmas lights are everywhere.
    Patsy

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,125 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Bryanna said she will come here before going to work to carry my boxes up, so hopefully today is the day I get my decorations done. I re-watched the last episode of the Crown from season one to prepare for season two next Friday. Poor Margaret and Captain Townsend, it seemed both of their hearts were broken. I look forward to season two.

Patsy, Daisy's favorite game is tug of war and she is one strong girl. I never win and give up before she ever would. lol Still having a hard time believing it is Christmas time, probably because my decorations are not up.

Anne, the only president that had me in as much awe as the royal family was JFK. Of course I was young and his good looks and his charisma were charming. Who knew he was such a player but as far as being president, I admired him the most. Just my own personal opinion.

Jackie, weird pill to give you, but if it works it works correct? I made an appointment with my orthopedic to have both of my knees checked. I just want to be sure I didn't do any damage when I took that fall that ended up on my knees.

Buzz, I know it is not funny but you make me chuckle when you wake up on your keyboard. Here's a hint, when your eyelids are getting heavy and you feel like sleeping: GO TO BED!!!
    What are we to do with you???

Hi to everyone else, you are on the page behind and I am too lazy to open a new window.
    Have a great day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,182 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hello Sneakers. MFP has been playing with me. Getting from the news feed to community pages and back has been interesting. I keep getting kicked off and I need to login in over and over so I am here right now and will quickly write a message and fingers crossed that it will post.

Buzz, good shopping my friend. I too fall asleep on a book or while on my iPad but I am usually already in bed when I do.

Jackie, thank you for the link to the documentary. I gave up my Netflix membership so if they decide to add it to their line up, I will have to miss it. Might be best for my health anyway. If the medication works for you then it is okay right? Even if it is not the primary label use? Or maybe you are not sold on it at all yet?

Anne, we have rain the the forecast here and then cold temperatures for the remainder of the week. Today was quite warm and when I got home I kept checking for a package that was out for delivery and didn’t need a coat or to just peek out quickly as it was so pleasant. Unfortunately I am still hunting for that package. Did you and Jilly make lots of phone calls today? Best wishes on your upcoming Christmas shopping. I hope you find what you are looking for and that it is not too awfully expensive.

Sandy, I hope Bryanna got your boxes for you so you will be able to decorate at your leisure. And I hope your knees are all right. Darn falls are so worrisome.

Patsy, I prefer the days are to be getting longer and that will be happening soon! Speaking of dogs and their toys, My Huskies loved a huge assortment of toys. I had two of those huge popcorn tins full of toys and there were still nylabones and Kongs strewn all over. They liked to play tug with me but my vet said I should not do that unless I always won. Otherwise they would think they were dominant over me. I just love people and all the advice. Snort.

Nola, how are you today?

Well, yesterday was a very nice paper messing about day, more when I got home, more this afternoon, and more again tomorrow. The week will then be event after event as I did not schedule too well. A class Tuesday afternoon, Doodles Wednesday morning, a class Friday, stampers/card club Saturday morning and then an afternoon/evening class and Holiday open house at the store near me. Also Book Club Social one evening and on another evening making a mini terrarium which was rescheduled from last week. And all the usual things, I think. Seems like too much as I look at it on the calendar.

Well time to look for my package again.

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    I'll take SANDY's suggestion regarding bedtime! I just had to check in here before getting my shuteye or I'd be getting up again to read about your day! I watched a Carol Burnett 50 year special; what a funny lady she was! But I preferred her look before she went and rebuilt her features! Spoke to my Son and DIL in Germany today, and they showed me how it was snowing outside. Also their tree is all decorated for a party tomorrow! My DIL is very sociable and social and a dear! We'll get together in a couple of weeks on Facetime when they are at my daughter's house in NY These programs are a miracle for families living far away!
    JACKIE, can you imagine Margaret trying to bring in a mixed race fiancé? Whatever her personal problems, Diane did a fantastic job of making her sons fine people! I never read about their father any more! AS far as your 3rd new hen, ouch! Do gritty shells hurt when she lays them? Poor birdie!
    ANNE, thank you for that lovely quote from Camille Pissarro. So true and so rare!
    PATSY, we always celebrated Winter Solstice nd I had almost forgotten how close it is! Here in Florida, our days are longer than yours at this time of year, but shorter in the summer, when the sun is furthest from the equator! ..Your story about John equalizing the "kids'" gifts
    has me thinking how difficult that can become! Must it be to the penny? I guess I've taken the easy way out by sending Amazon gift cards!
    SANDY, Although I found the father annoying, and Rose a bit much, I really found myself ignoring and forgiving the Kennedy's their faults because of all the good they did. even Ted, with all his arrogance as a young man, was a legislator who really cared about the people of this country. I was devastated by Jack's assassination, and when John-John's plane went down on his way to a wedding in Nantucket, I broke down and cried as if he were family! Such a tragic family, but many of the progeny are carrying on politically in admirable ways! Their causes are often my causes! Did you get your tree decorated?
    LIN, your scheduling has me exhausted, just reading about it! I hope you have time to just relax and enjoy! Your relay of the doggie dominance theory was the first time I'd heard that one. Sort of interesting but difficult to believe!
    Our lobby is looking gorgeous. And I don't have the work!
    1:01 AM, and my eyelids are indeed feeling heavy so ...GOOD NIGHT, dear friends, I'm listening!
    <3 Buzz
    .......................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen!.......................
  • pinkperil
    edited December 2017
    Options
    A pleasant walk this morning in spite of heavy grey clouds because now the bracken has died back the moors have turned a stunning golden colour so against the dark sky the scenery was magical... a Turner painting if ever I saw one! Later today I will need to pop into town for a few items of shopping but before that my pedicurist is due a visit so I will run around with my vacuum cleaner and duster! I don't think it will be in that Crown series but after both Margaret and Townsend passed away it came out that they occasionally met socially when they were older so even royal etiquette couldn't keep them apart forever!

Buzz ~ Charles continues to do his duty opening new buildings or displaying plaques, all a bit boring so not news worthy! Camilla seems quite likeable in spite of the plum in her mouth so I think all is forgiven in the minds of the public and what with another baby on the way for Kate and now Harry getting engaged it seems Charles is to be outshone yet again! Skype has been something I've used to keep in touch with family and friends in far places but since Microsoft bought it the service has deteriorated so I'm waiting for them to suggest a costly upgrade rather than the current free one. At least Facetime is an option to be investigated.

Lin ~ Paper messing sounds like an ideal chilling pastime and lots of fun too. That documentary was easy enough for me to view because on a day to day basis he doesn't affect my life so yes, perhaps it's not worth you pushing your blood pressure too high although you probably know most of the story already. Apart from his bullying tactics to build his golf course in Scotland most of us in the UK knew little about him so it was fascinating to see a shark in action!!

Sandy ~ I'm imagining you surrounded by boxes of decorations as you begin to fill your apartment with glitter and tinsel so do hope Bryanna made it to yours yesterday. As for my medication, the slow release Ibuprofen is certainly helping although it's not something to be taken too long otherwise it can do damage and I don't want to get hooked on the other pills so will give things another week then ease off and see what difference it makes. Self medicating is something I've often done because I think I know better than doctors which isn't true of course but I still give it a go!!

Anne ~ Sometimes I get the feeling even my walking friend who loves social media is getting just a little weary of the nonsense that goes on and dog shows seem to be the worst for bringing out competitive nastiness! Our forecast for the week is for 4 days mild and then watch out, Friday will be freezing again so perhaps it's coming from your direction!! I'm loving that Camille Pissarro quote of yours and will have to do a google search to find out more.

Patsy ~ Did you see the huge moon last night? What a sight that even drew George into the garden about 6 times before bedtime just to sniff around in the moonlight. Your observation about the Winter solstice has cheered me no end as you're right, the days will soon be getting longer again!

Hoovering calls so I'm away! Have a wonderful Monday everyone!
    Jackie
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Camille Pissarro. JACKIE, love his paintings and indeed anyone from that period.
    I think your weather forecast for us is spot on! We went for a long walk in clearing fog just now. We met a neighbour who backs onto us. A new neighbour who I think is Muslim. He admired my 20 month old beautiful little dog and I admired his beautiful little 20 month old baby boy.

Mikes coming over today so I hope I shall be lighter in purse but heavier in Christmas parcels. It's decided, Mary Jo is cooking Christmas Day dinner, so I will cook Michaels donated firms turkey on Boxing Day.

I liked Camilla from day one. Perfect match for Charles who lets face it is a country boy and farmer at heart. I'm glad alls settled for the Queen in her later years and I read somewhere she likes Camilla as well. So alls well that ends well as it should in the best fairy stories.
    So I'm off,
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hello all - I stayed up a bit late to work on cards, what else right? And to try to find out what might have happened to my package. About 11:30 last night the tracking was updated to delayed, no estimate of delivery. Eeeck. In the past that has meant lost package.

So I slept in a bit, came down to do sort some things and found an email from Groupon that they had disabled my account due to suspicious activity. It really did seem to be from them but I didn’t click on the password reset. I started checking my financial accounts to see if there had been any Groupon charges. That took some time. Then I opened a new window to Groupon and tried to login. Yep, my password is indeed disabled. For now I am going to leave it alone as I only use Groupon once or twice a year. That little project ate half of my morning.

And surprise, I checked on my package again and the new update said it was on my porch. It was. Now I have a box to open. Yippee!!

I am staying home today as by gosh, I will finish and send Christmas cards this year, just a big handful left that need sentiments inside, then I can start to address cards. Of course I do not have anything like a cohesive list. Some addresses are in an old church directory, many are on my phone and some are still in my old Franklin planner from back in the days of my work life. When the world was still dominated with paper address lists. And yes, some people have not moved since then.

Interesting discussion regarding the royals. I must say I never pay much attention with the exception of Dianna. I suspect I spelled that improperly but oh well. I like the boys, I like Kate and the kids. I wish them well and may they do much good in the world.

Anne, happy shopping to you!

Jackie, hoovering never calls to me. Haaa.

Buzz, well darn, I was preoccupied and missed the Carol Burnett special. Oh well.

Back to last of my coffee. It is still tasty although not piping hot.

Hugs.

Lin

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I was up checking the moonlight on Saturday and Sunday. I did get a glimpse of the spectacular moon. It was in between clouds and it had a Halloween look about it. Beautiful!

It is very interesting about my morning coffee. I have been enjoying flavored coffee for a few weeks. Chocolate and Caramel flavored. It has been delightful but strangely, the last few mornings has me deciding to abandon the flavored coffees. John views these flavored coffees as little more than kiddie drinks. To each his/her own.

In discussion with the gallery owner and another painter, we were lamenting the state of contemporary art. There is some amazing new work being done. But it is in digital format and a iffy lifespan. The old works that are indicative of the culture of the day are still with us. Will some of our new works be around very long? I fear not! The show I will have in late spring will be old school acrylic paintings. I will be showing with a watercolorist. I think his work is rather out of date and lacking in real content. I like to see work with something interesting to "say." No paintings who's main purpose to to match the throw pillows. The man has great skill with paint technique but...

I sound decidedly cranky this morning. Need to do something demanding like Jackie's hoovering. Forgive me, dear sneakers. I will improve my attitude, I promise.
    Patsy

• pinkperil
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Amazing Anne, Looking through Camille Pissarro's biography I noted he spent time in south east London, the area I was born and brought up in then, when I found images of some of his paintings laughed out loud at his view from Sydenham Hill....
    quwi1ood95cz.jpg

I went to Sydenham County School for girls in the 1960's when it was already covered in high rises, modern homes due mostly to the bombing and large stores as well as our modern school buildings. I do remember being told by my grandparents generation that the street we lived on had been woodland until the 1930's.

All the more reason for you to keep that foot of yours firmly down on the ground when anyone suggests demolishing your home in order to replace it with a concrete block! Someone will have painted a picture of your apple tree.... perhaps you have.... and in a hundred years time everyone will say what a shame, that beautiful tree has gone!!

I've tasted those flavoured coffees and for the first few times thought them delicious but sweet so my taste buds soon tired of them. Give me a decent Americano every time!
    Hooray, Lin's missing parcel turned up so the pirates didn't sail off with it after all. :D

Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,125 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) I sat for the boys while Lisa went to the dentist. I got gas on the way and did some grocery shopping and then to the dollar store. My cleaning girl is coming tomorrow instead of today so basically my Monday and Tuesday are reversed. Bryanna did come and carry my boxes up so I am now done with decorating.

I also watched the Carol Burnett 50th anniversary, it was good, I enjoyed seeing the actors and actresses who were guests in the past. Tim Conway really was so silly but very funny. Brought back many memories.

I am running behind on my computer and time seems to be flying today. I will catch up tomorrow, I hope you all have a great evening.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacean2017
    Options
    That's amazing JACKIE! Maybe you can find the Camille Pissarro print to hang on the wall of your cottage? What a lovely reminder of a time long past. I thought of you when I posted his "Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing". You see beauty in a fog swirling moor, others might just see mud and you see beauty in your saved chicks when others see dinner, alas. Another coincidence, he died on the day my Mam was born. Did anyone notice that one of Lauren Harris's paintings sold for 3 million the other day. He was one of the "group of seven" wonderful Canadian painters.

Oh "joy to the world" I've finished my Christmas gifts. We only buy for close family these days but still, a load off my mind. Like John PATSY, I too try to make everyone equal and add a little something to make everyone the same. After all I love them all equally. Actually I do have one gift left to buy, young Jilly! To add to the pile.

LINs parcel made it to LINs home. There IS a Santa Claus! And BUZZ are you awake and bushy tailed? SANDY, are you all tinselled out? Hi JERRI and NOLA.

The moon was gorgeous last night. We started quite warm and foggy this morning, but by the afternoon a definite chill in the air. Shades of things to come.
    Brrrrrrrr, anne.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Fun reading everyone's posts tonight and actually learned a whole lot about people and things I knew little about! So is Camilla ever going to be a king's wife? I read somewhere that one of the delivery services will pay a penalty if articles arrive later that estimated, but the details escape this brain of mine! I went shopping this morning on one of our buses and filled up on most everything I needed, and coming out of the supermarket I checked my bags and could not find the 1 1/2 dozen eggs I had paid for, so I ran back to the counter where I checked out, the fellow checked all my bags and concluded they must have gone into the next shoppers bag, and got me another box. At home, as I was unpacking, there was the original box sloppily surrounded by other items, but certainly present! I called the store but they cannot take it back. What do I now do with 3 dozen eggs?
    Does anyone remember Somerset Maugham? Tonight we watch The Razor's Edge, with (gasp) Tyrone Power, lovely Gene Tierney, Anne Baxter, a very young John Payne and Clifton Webb! Black and white, London, Paris, Katmandu, and oh, the drama of it all. Absolutely no one walked out! I thought I even recognized Herbert Marshall! Speaking of drama, today I listened as Hillary was again attacked for lying to the FBI and "getting away with it"! The truth later came out that the FBI never accused her of lying. Boiling blood seems to be the condition of today! I just cannot visualized 3 more years of these daily tweets and lies!
    I must get to bed since we have an early Director's meeting, with much to be discussed. Very busy week....actually month. Got to get disciplined.
    <3 Buzz
    .......................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen!.......................

• pinkperil
    Options
    A dry day was forecast so of course I put a load of washing on in the hope of hanging outside to get air through mostly George's towels. The cycle has finished but looking outside it appears very damp to me so plan B, an airer and wet things hanging near a heater!

Anne ~ I always liked Impressionism which seems to show such a free flowing style and since I've now met Camille Pissarro I shall add him to my list of favourties! I did find another picture he painted of Sydenham which is now my screen saver so when I look at it I can imagine skipping to school dodging horse and carriage rather than double decker buses!! On a recent Antiques Roadshow programme a painting by a Canadian artist (can't remember the name) was brought in and the owner was advised that such art is not only very important now but extremely valuable so he went home with a big smile on his face!

Buzz ~ Perhaps if you placed your unwanted eggs in a basket in a public place for friends to help themselves they'd soon disappear. We don't want you getting egg bound! :o

Patsy ~ A friend's son is a professional photographer and felt he ought to move towards digital cameras a few years ago but once he realised his biggest admirers preferred those shot on film he reverted back. All forms of art seem to have followed this trend but I think it's more than nostalgia that has us looking back; we like art to be organic. Apparently even records have now overtaken the sale of CD's in the UK as the next generation comes along and wants to hold and feel the vinyl that produces the music they love!

Lunchtime for me so must get on. Hi to all I missed today.
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good morning, just a fly-by to say hello. I will be gone all day, home for just a bit and then the book club tonight. Wishing everyone well. It is a day to wear lots of clothes! Brrrrrr. My trash can was blown over last night and I ran out without my coat to grab it and to stow the bags back inside. A sort of cold detour on my way to bed. Haaaaaa.

Happy lunch Jackie. Sorry about the poor laundry drying conditions.

Buzz, I agree, if you let people know you have free eggs, they will disappear.

Sandy, glad Bryanna got your boxes for you. It is a bit trying to have to wait for people to fit things in their schedule but I am glad she got there for you.

Anne, what amazing shopping. Everything accomplished. Wonderful.

And my two cents worth, I drank flavored coffee for a while but I reverted to plain black coffee quite a few years ago. Just the way I started out drinking coffee. Plain.

Well, time to round up my gear.

Hugs.

Lin
  • jacean2017
    Options
    JACKIE great minds think alike. I've got Clarence A, Gagnon the Quebec painter as my screen saver! Not participularly because I'm fond of Quebec, but I unashamedly enjoy his style of painting which can be a bit chocolate boxy for some. The sort of stuff I TRY to turn out! I also enjoy the gorgeous indigenous art!
    I was thinking pantomime names again. Goldilocks or Yum Yum although that's Gilbert and Sullivan.

I'm off to try and find a Mark's and Spencer's Christmas cake. Apparently the "British eats and treats" store downtown sell them. I'm off before we plunge to minus 1 tomorrow!

You could boil all your eggs for future sandwiches BUZZ. I won't suggest, although it springs to mind, sitting on them! Lol. Can you imagine chicks running around your apartment!

Anne.
  • toomanycurves
    toomanycurves Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've been very ill but I'm back. My story is so complicated that I don't know how to introduce myself. Should you want, I included some of it under my edited profile. Thanks.